Author's Chapter Notes:
At bottom
Buffy dodged her mom and ran out of the house about a half hour earlier than she usually did. She’d probably be at school way before anyone else, but school—even early on a Tuesday after getting like three hours of sleep—was better than home with a mother who wanted to know exactly what she’d been doing the night before.

When she got there, she dropped her bag by the entrance and sat on the steps, waiting dejectedly for someone to show. She’d prefer it wasn’t Spike, just because—well—so much had happened that night, she would’ve liked to talk to someone else about it. Especially now that she had lots of time alone to mull over the events of the day, with the hospital, and the Dad thing, and the growling—which had been her regressing into Denial-Girl mode, and had been seriously weird.

You know, if it wasn’t for the truly spectacular kissage, yesterday would have sucked so bad…

“Buffy!”

“Huh?” Buffy’s head jerked up. Willow was running towards her, beaming. “Hey, Wills!” She tried to smile welcomingly, but the bags under her eyes felt like they were pressing down on her mouth. It wasn’t half as comfortable as a certain other pressing…

Oh, boy. Panties a la completely friggin’ soaked.

On the heels of that thought came another: Yeah, cuz that made lots of sense…

“So, Xander told me something interesting,” Willow said with a smile that on anybody else would have been called sly. “He saw Spike leaving your house.”

“What?” That made Buffy snap to attention. “What the hell was Xander doing outside my house?”

Willow’s smile turned to a giggle. “He, he wasn’t! I just told you that so that you’d admit it—he was in your room last night! Oooh—was there kissing?”

Buffy smiled tolerantly. It was kinda hard to stay depressed and horny when Willow was smiling at her so eagerly. “Yeah, there was a little kissing,” she admitted, smiling happily. “And some—you know. Second base stuff.”

“Now, let’s see, why am I not surprised?” Willow tapped her lip in mock-thoughtfulness. “Oh, yeah. You used to fight him all the time.”

“So?” Buffy knew her face was blank; what did fighting Spike have anything to do with it?”

“Buffy. You of all people know that with, with Spike? He loves fighting so much, it’s third base for him!”

Buffy laughed. Well, she couldn’t help it; Willow’s nose was wrinkled primly, but it was obvious that she knew what she was talking about. ‘That’s so sick, Wills.”

“Sick, but very true,” Willow said cheerfully. “Anyway, details NOW, Buffy Summers! As your new best friend, I demand the full scoop!”

“Okay. Not much happened last night, we just kissed, and—and kissed…” Buffy trailed off into fantasy land as she remembered that night on the bed.

“Buffy? Oh my God, it’s so great to see you!”

Buffy whirled around. There, in all her teen Queen glory, was—“Cordelia,” she greeted the other girl dryly. “You’re talking to me—why?” God, if her teeth got much brighter they’d be blinding.

“Well, I was thinking last night, and I decided that I was so totally unfair to you last Wednesday,” she explained, still with a smile on her face. “I mean, you were my best friend since, like, forever, so the whole falling out thing? Not cool at all!” Cordelia’s eyes suddenly shifted to Willow—her smile became, if anything, even brighter. “Hi, Willow! I like your outfit!”

“Cordelia.” Buffy’s voice was mean in a way she hadn’t known it could be. “Why the hell are you talking to me?”

“Okay, you caught me. I need a favor,” she admitted. “See, Angel’s been this like complete idiot for about two weeks now, and even though he’s a total honey, I’m thinking of dumping him.”

“And?” Buffy said skeptically, trying to ignore the fact that if Cordy took a step forward, her huge breasts would knock Buffy flat on the floor.

“And I was wondering if you, you know, knew of anybody you could…hook me up with!” Cordelia finished brightly.

“Am I the only one who thinks she’s making with the lying?” Buffy asked Willow.

Willow shook her head. “No, I think we’re on the same page.”

Cordelia sighed impatiently. “Okay, fine. The whole me and Xander thing got out, and now I can’t find a date for the Halloween dance, and I really, really need one or Harmony will totally make my life suck!”

“Wait—thing with Xander?” Buffy wrinkled her nose, trying to picture the two having a fling. Ugh. Major ick alert...

“They got cozy for awhile,” Willow told her. “It was really low key, though, and Cordelia told Xander that she’d—“

“Cut off his dick and shove it down his throat if he told anyone,” Cordelia interrupted. “Which I am so going to do, since he blabbed to like everyone!

“Well, it could’ve been someone else,” Buffy said hurriedly, trying to save Xander from dick-cuttage.

“Oh, please, I wasn’t serious,” Cordelia said scornfully, rolling her eyes.

“Okay, guess we don’t need to find you a date then,” Buffy said with a bright smile. She had to fight not to laugh when Cordelia’s eyes widened comically.

“No, no, I really, really, really wasn’t kidding about that! I totally need a date!”

Buffy clapped a hand over her mouth, trying frantically not to burst out laughing—out of the corner of her eye, she saw Willow do the same. “Um, sorry, Cordy,” she forced out, “I think all the guys I know have dates.”

“Wait—what about that weird one—the one who, like, sings at the talent show every year? What’s his name?”

Poor Willow...her hair’s starting to match her face. “Are you t-talking about Lorne?” The redhead asked, practically choking with mirth.

“Wow, Cordy,” Buffy said, smiling mischievously. “You must really want a date.”

“Duh,” Cordelia said, rolling her eyes.

“You do realize that if you go with Lorne you’ll kinda be—you know—“ Willow began to stutter when Cordelia stared at her coldly.

“Um...a laughingstock?” Willow finished tentatively.

Cordelia stuck her nose in the air. “Not after I’m through with him, he won’t be,” she informed them. “If I can make Angel chew with his mouth closed, I can de-gayify Bourne by the time the dance comes.”

“Lorne,” Willow corrected.

Cordy rolled her eyes. “What-ever.”

The teen queen stalked off. Buffy watched her go with a wrinkled nose, thinking, I can’t believe I was actually like that. It had only been two weeks, but she felt so far removed from the Cordys of the world that it was like they were from separate worlds.

“I hope Lorne watched his back,” Willow told Buffy, eyes on Cordelia.

Buffy laughed, thinking of how Lorne would react when Cordelia accosted him. “Poor guy. The trials and tribulations of playing for the other team...”

“B! Wassup?”

“I’m fine, thanks,” Buffy said dryly. “How are you?”

“Five by five,” Faith replied with a grin. “Scored some serious dick last night—Devon’s got this buddy, see, and—“

“Uh, Faith?” Willow cut in hurriedly. “Not so big on the details, please?”

Faith laughed. “Right. I got laid.”

“So I gathered,” Willow muttered, looking down.

Buffy knew that Willow and Faith weren’t exactly best friends, so she blurted out the first thing that came to mind to lighten things up: “Oh, look, it’s Tara! Tara!” she yelled, hopping up and down, “Over here!”

Tara gave her a bemused look but obeyed, coming up the steps to sit next to Willow. “Hey, guys,” she said quietly. “Did I miss anything?”

“Actually, you and Faith both did,” Buffy said. “Cordy’s dateless for the Halloween dance, and she went into total meltdown.”

“She wanted us to hook her up with Lorne,” Willow added.

Faith started cackling. There was really no other way to describe it—she was bent over double, one hand at her stomach and the other gripping the stair rail, and the sound that was coming out her mouth was definitely more cackle-ey than laugh-ey.

Tara just looked stunned. “Does Cordy—does Cordy know that L-Lorne’s—“

“Kinda gay?” Willow supplied. Tara nodded.

“Cordy’s convinced she can de-gayify him,” Buffy told the others.

Faith snorted. “Fat chance of that. The day Lorne starts liking pussy is the day I go lesbo.”

“I thought you had a thing with Cecily in England last summer,” Willow said.

“That just makes me bi, not butch,” Faith said slyly.

Buffy groaned. “Okay, big yuck!”

The banter continued until the bell rang for first period. Buffy cast a concerned look around as everyone walked inside; Xander and Anya had joined them, but Spike was nowhere to be seen.

She sat down in English, still looking around for him. Oh, God, what if he’d gotten mugged or something when he was running home? He could be lying in a ditch, or dead, or—

“Miss Summers, may I have a word?”

Buffy blinked. Giles was looking down at her expectantly. “Uh, sure,” she said, automatically pasting a smile on her face. “Fire away.”

“I was wondering how well the project was going,” the Englishman said with a nervous smile on his face.

Her smile faltered as the memory of Spike’s body pressing hers into the bed came flooding back to her. Color rushed to her cheeks. “We’re—starting to get along better,” she stuttered. Don’t think about sex in front of the teacher, don’t think about sex in front of the teacher...gah!

Giles was beaming at her. “Excellent!” he praised. “I look forward to seeing your presentation!”

Buffy smiled wanly. “We’re looking forward to giving it,” she mumbled uncomfortably.

To her immense relief, the bell to begin class rang before he had a chance to say anything else. Giles smiled at her one more time before going to the front of the class. “Right then, class, take your seats,” he ordered, clapping his hands. “Today we’re going to be working on—“

“Sorry ‘m late!” Spike came skidding into class. “Giles, look, I know you said you’d give me detention ‘f I was late again, but ‘ve got a damn good excuse, so if you’d just hear me out—“ Buffy didn’t hear anything after that; like much of the class, she was too busy laughing.

Poor, poor Spike. His jacket was rumpled, like he’d slept in it; his boots were half-unlaced; and his hair was all messed up. Personally Buffy thought it looked pretty hot, but knowing Spike, he’d hate it being curly like that.

“It’s quite all right, William, now take your seat.” Giles interrupted Spike’s complicated explanation and pointed to the seat Buffy had been saving.

His eyes fell on her, and at once he seemed to relax. The half-panicked look he’d been wearing was replaced with his usual smirk. He sauntered over to the desk and plopped himself down.

As Giles turned back to the board and starting lecturing them on some author, Buffy wrote a quick note: Where were you?

Starting to worry about me? He wrote back.

Buffy glared at him and handed the piece of paper back to him. He rolled his eyes and wrote: Where the hell do you think I was? Up all night dreaming about you, kitten.

Another blush tinged her cheeks upon reading that. Really?

Well, yeah. Anything happen that I missed?

Cordy wants us to hook her up with Lorne for the Halloween dance. Apparently she can’t get a date because the Xander incident is out.

Spike collapsed in laughter. Giles stopped class immediately. “Mister Walsh,” he said, his accent crisp, “Is there a problem?”

“Uh—no. No problem at all, sir.” He schooled his expression till he looked serious.

“Then kindly keep quiet during my class,” Giles requested. His voice was cool, bearing just a hint of the anger that Buffy had heard rumors about. Apparently he’d nearly killed a fellow teacher, Ethan something-or-other, when the man had molested a young female student. Other, less sensational stories were whispered about in hallways.

All in all, if that look had been directed at her, Buffy would’ve backed down. Fast. Spike, though, just grinned at the older man. “Sorry, mate,” he said flippantly. “Didn’t know laughin’ in your class wasn’t allowed.”

“William. Am I going to have to call your mother?”

Spike was eerily silent for the rest of the class.

~*~

A/N: *MAJOR PIMPAGE ALERT!!* My wonderful mother hates it when I go to The Spuffy Realm, I have no idea why...she’s a semi-Puritan *scrunchy confused face* Sooo...I got me another LiveJournal under the name panta_rei_ I did the layout myself this time, and I’m not sure how I like it :/ but it’s pretty cool. I’ll be posting there most of the time now, probably a day or two earlier than I post at any other site—I’m posting 2 chaps there today and only 1 here. See, I’m pimping *and* blackmailing you into going over there =D Here’s the link www.livejournal.com/users/panta_rei_ And once again, thank you for all the reviews—I have a full 200 now *faints in shock* You guys rock!