Author's Chapter Notes:
At bottom
~*~

“You know what was even funnier than Giles, though?” Buffy asked, giggling and burrowing a bit closer to Spike, laying her tousled head on his chest. “The look on Harmony’s face. I swear she was about to blow into a billion pieces.”

Spike chuckled, the rumble comforting against Buffy’s ear. “You’re a vindictive one, aren’t you, pet?”

She grinned up at him. “When it comes to someone moving in on my man, yes, I am, thank you very much.” My man. She loved saying that…

Her man. Would he ever get tired of being talked about that way?

Highly unlikely, Spike decided, drawing her a bit closer. It was two days before Christmas and they’d taken advantage Joyce’s now-common absence by grabbing a few hours in Buffy’s room for themselves.

“Still, it made me crack up,” Buffy said, giggling again. “Poor Giles. I think he was expecting us to do this huge, gooey report about how much the report changed our lives, instead of just following the requirements to the letter.”

“As opposed to Harm, who seemed to be waiting for us to start shaggin’ like bunnies in the middle of the floor,” Spike said, wagging his eyebrows suggestively.

She whacked his chest, only half in protest. “We just finished!”

“We can’t go again?”

Oh, crap, he’s pouting. He’s pouting and naked and oh my God I stare at his lips every single day and they never get the tiniest bit less hot—

Spike didn’t have time to attack her—she attacked him.

They both groaned as she pressed him into the pillow, lips attacking his, her hand wrapping around his already hard dick. “Want you now,” she muttered, kissing his chest.

“C’mon, then,” Spike gasped, and he pulled her fully on top of, and then into, him.

Buffy smiled down at him as she rode him. She’d thought their first time had been amazing—every single time after that surpassed the one past by leaps and bounds. Just when she thought it couldn’t get any more wonderful, Spike showed her something new, or expressed his love in a different way, and she reached a more amazing bliss than she’d ever seen before. It was beyond perfect—she didn’t even think there was a word for how happy he could make her.

“God, Spike—I love you. I love you I love youIloveyouIloveyouIloveyou—“

“Buffy…God…love you so—bloody—much—“ Spike grunted, pushing up into her.

“Yes,” she hissed, arching her back, going faster, faster—

She leaned down and furiously smashed her lip against his, the next angle making him rub places that sent her tumbling over the edge once again. Less than a second after she exploded, he did, too, shooting into her, babbling her name and various endearments over and over. She listened contentedly.

“You know,” she remarked when they’d both calmed down a bit, “We really should thank Giles.”

Spike grunted. “Spoil the mood much, luv?”

“Sorry,” Buffy said with an grin that was anything but. “It’s just, he was the one who finally forced us to work together. We hated each other then, remember? And I was all dumb valley girl.”

“When did that change—‘ey! No fair play!” Spike shrieked, and then began laughing, as Buffy mercilessly dug into his armpits and tickled him.

“Take it back,” she said determinedly, wiggling her fingers a bit more to emphasize her point.

“Right—okay—take it back!” he exclaimed, gasping for breath. When she settled back down next to him he said, “Although y’know, I think Giles was just doing what everybody in the school was hopin’ someone would do. Wouldn’t’ve surprised me if Anya an’ Faith an’ that lot had decided to shove us together—ole’ Rupes just got there first.”

Buffy was about to reply when an extremely unwelcome noise split the air: Ding-dong.

They both froze, their eyes flying to meet one another’s’. Very, very carefully, Buffy slid out of the bed and walked over to the window. She sighed in relief when she saw the mailman driving away. “It’s just the mail,” she announced—and then gasped when she realized why the man had rung the bell. “I’ll be right back,” she blurted out, and raced downstairs.

Spike propped himself up on his elbow, wondering what had gotten his girl so excited. Had she ordered something she wanted to show him? Maybe she’d picked some lingerie out of that hot little catalogue he’d found in her drawer the other day…his eyes glazed over as he considered the possibilities.

He couldn’t help but grin when Buffy came back inside the room, carrying two large envelopes and looking sheepish. Her face was bright red.

“Why’re you blushin’, pet? Not that it isn’t cute,” he teased, “But ‘d like to know the reason. Order any dirty magazines?”

“My neighbor—you know, that weird lady who insists I call her April? Yeah, she just saw me almost naked.”

Spike couldn’t help himself—he burst into laughter. “Why—the bloody hell—didn’t you put some clothes on?” he gasped out, trying to contain bursts of giggles and failing utterly.

Buffy looked thoroughly disgruntled—cute, but disgruntled. “I thought no one would be out there,” she admitted, rolling her eyes when Spike continued to laugh.

Normally she would’ve joined in, but right now she was incredibly nervous. She knew that Spike had applications out to a bunch of universities—hell, with his grades, they’d let him in anywhere—but she was hoping that what was in the envelope with his name on it would change that.

“Um, Spike?” she asked in what she hoped was a normal voice. She knew it wasn’t when he halted laughing instantly and looked at her with a worried expression on his face. “Yeah, kitten?”

“Remember how I said I’d maybe apply to UCLA, early decision?”

“Yeah,” Spike said, uneasy. College was something he’d been trying not to think about—he didn’t want to be away from the girl he loved for a second more than he absolutely had to be.

“Well—“ Buffy could feel her cheeks getting redder. Damn it. “I got in. But When I applied, I kinda—I kinda applied for you, too.” And then, before he had a chance to say anything, she shoved the envelope into his hand.

She’d been expecting for him to laugh at her, or maybe get a little annoyed. But instead he just gave her one long, unreadable look and opened the envelope.

Mr. Spike Walsh: We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to attend the University of California in Los Angeles for the coming year…

He stared at the paper, not fully comprehending what he was seeing. Buffy and me are gonna be going to the same college. We’re gonna still be able to see each other every day. This is—

“Bloody fantastic,” he whispered, finally tearing his gaze away from the paper to see Buffy standing in front of him, clearly nervous.

“So you like it?” she asked hesitantly, taking a baby step towards the bed.

Spike reached out and grabbed her, causing her to tumble onto the sheets beside him. He answered her with a kiss that was so hard and went on for so long that by the time he was done his heart was racing and the admissions papers were thoroughly crumpled in between them. “I sodding well love it,” he whispered heatedly, trailing kisses along her jaw line.

“Oh, good,” Buffy said in a breathless voice. “Because I wanted us to be together, but I wasn’t sure if you wanted to go to UCLA.”

“Don’t care where I go,” Spike informed her. “’long as I’m near you.”

“That works out, then,” she said, smiling happily. She was so relieved he hadn’t been angry with her…going to UCLA with him was going to be like a dream.

“Though,” he continued, “’m a bit confused as to where we’re gonna be staying. ‘Cause ‘m never gonna get laid ‘f we both get dorms.”

“Yeah, I thought of that,” she said proudly. “We’ll be staying with my Aunt Kim. Her apartment is a few blocks away from the university.”

“Your aunt? Pet, the rest of this plan is lovely, but I don’t fancy four years of celibacy.”

“Oh, don’t worry,” Buffy said hastily. “She’s really nice and cool and stuff. She’ll leave us alone.”

“In that case, your plan is bloody perfect.” He began to nuzzle her breasts happily.

Buffy sighed, sinking into the bed, pulling him with her. “You’re perfect.”

Spike smirked. “Nice to know ‘m appreciated,” he said, leaning in for another kiss. When they parted he whispered, “An’ just for the record, luv—your just ‘bout as perfect as they come, yourself.”

“Mmm…” she pulled his head down again, kissing him. She’d been doing that a lot lately; it was nice to know it would be able to continue.

Because she wanted it to continue. Crazy though it was, nothing as good as her relationship with Spike had ever happened to her before. They’d fought bitterly for so many years—but now they were in perfect accord about almost everything. When they did disagree, it was mostly in jest. They loved each other—that was finally enough to erase the bitterness of the past.

For the longest time, everyone had known how much they hated each other—and both Buffy and Spike had believe it. They’d had to struggle past foolish misconceptions and stereotypes, both real and manufactured. But it had been worth it. As Spike entered her and she gasped in a combination of astonishment and joy, she was certain of that fact. The love on his face, the love she felt in her own heart, made her absolutely positive of that.

It had been worth it. It still was worth it. What they had went beyond simple lust or infatuation. It was love, pure and simple.

And finally, as her body clenched around his, Buffy knew. She knew that after all this time, after all her searching and hating and crying, she’d finally found what she was looking for. She was home, and she was never going to leave.

She clutched Spike to her, reveling in the feel of her body against his. “I love you,” she whispered, glorying in how close their bodies were. “I love you so, so much, Spike.”

And she was happy.


~~*The End*~~

A/N: WOW. It’s over!

Well, now that it’s done, thanks are in order. A thousand heaps of billboard-sized thank you’s to anyone who ever reviewed! I wrote this story through some tough times, and they really helped me keep writing. This story was more successful than my two other long fics combined, so I figure I must be doing something right =D and it’s reviews that tell me just exactly what that is. I was absolutely stunned by the response I got to this fic—even though a lot of you didn’t like the angst, you still read it and told me what you thought. You guys have stuck with me through thick and thin, through the angst and the fluff, and I love every single one of you for it. You guys are AWESOME!! *huggles everyone and gives them cookies and nekkid Spikes*

Kimber: hope you liked the “Aunt Kim” detail. I couldn’t resist =D

And finally, because pimping yourself will never go out of style (possible because it was never in style, but why sweat the small stuff?): next up on the list of fics is “Nothing More.” I’ve already posted two chapters. It’s an AU Buffyverse fic set in the world of “The Wish”, and it has Vamp Willow, Dracula, tortured vampire Dawn, a trip around Europe during which Buffy and Spike are forced to work together…anyway, it should be fun, so if that sort of fic is your thing (or even if it’s not, lol) check it out please =D Thanks again for all your support for Common Knowledge!

~~Panta_Rei