Author's Chapter Notes:
This is so cool! I was nominated for Best WIP on the Love's Last Glimpse Awards! YAY! =D Thank you! And Thanks to my beta LindaM!
The people may be made to follow a path of action, but they may not be made to understand it.
Confucius, The Confucian Analects
Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)




The lone figure in the room slumped back in his chair, before leaning over and dropping his head into his hands. The task assigned to him was not an easy one, it was far from it. He only hoped that he would live long enough to see it through to the end. He took a deep breath, collecting his thoughts, preparing himself for what he needed to do. The slayer was not one to toy with, neither was William the Bloody; this had to be dealt with carefully or all would be lost.

He glanced down into a shimmering pool, about the size of a small sink, floating a few feet off the ground. The pool allowed him to see whomever he wanted, and currently he was keeping an eye on the lovers who were still for the moment, but not yet asleep. He guessed he had at least two more hours before they would drift off into post-orgasmic slumber, giving him the opportunity to visit them in their dreams.

He figured it was safer to meet with them that way. Through their dreams. That way, no permanent damage could be inflicted upon him and it would also give him as much time as he needed. Time being something he could manipulate in the place of dreams.

Noticing that the bodies had once again begun to move together, he turned away from the pool, to give them privacy and to concentrate; besides voyeurism wasn’t on his list of things to do.

The Powers had set strict guidelines on what exactly he could tell the couple and what they would have to figure out on their own. Sorting out the jumble of information in his head would have to be done carefully, otherwise he just might go insane, and that wouldn’t help anyone.

“Guide them, don’t interfere.” He muttered. “Tell them only what they need to know. Nothing more, nothing less.”

You’d think they wouldn’t have to go over all that again; he’d done it with Angel and Buffy. Granted Angel wasn’t his assignment anymore, Buffy was, but they still had to drill into him what he could and couldn’t do when it concerned this slip of a girl. Then again, that’s exactly the point of it all. She’s not just a girl. She’s so much more than that, and she hasn’t got a clue that tonight, her life just got that much more complicated. The difference this time around, she isn’t alone.

Enter William the Bloody. AKA Spike. A real paradox if there ever was one. Continually throwing the Powers curveballs, keeping them on their toes, so to speak. Even the Powers were shocked when Spike turned out to be The One, although they will never admit that they were wrong. Angel was their golden boy; he was surely going to be The One when it came down to it. But Angel’s path took him to LA, while Spike’s path took him to Buffy… no matter how much Buffy and Spike tried to deny it.

Now that they were mated in the truest sense, there wasn’t a doubt that they would deny each other any longer, but there are still other threats that could endanger the positive outcome the Powers are endeavoring to create. Isn’t there always something? Evil is a tricky thing. You try and make something go flawlessly, but evil somehow manages to sneak in and screw with the outcome of things. It’s maddening to say the least.

So here he was, trying to figure out how to tell the Slayer that her life has once again been altered to dramatic proportions and the fate of the world and beyond lies in her hands, again. Sure, she’s going to take that real well.

He stood up and began pacing, hoping to calm his nerves. A few laps later, he discovered that it wasn’t helping. Taking a deep breath as he sat back down, he began to massage his temples. The last thing he needed right now was a headache. Glancing at the shimmering pool, he noted that he didn’t have much time until he had to make an appearance.

Once the throb in his head dulled to the point where he could ignore it, he began going over the possible reactions he would receive from the Slayer and master vampire. Jumping for joy and thanking him for the news was not a likely scenario unfortunately. He didn’t even want to think of the more undesirable or fatal outcomes. But those seemed to be the ones that flooded his thoughts the most. He shuddered.

Checking the pool again, he saw that the lovers were drifting off to sleep. Heaving a sigh before rising to his feet, he picked up his fedora, fingering the rim before slipping it onto his head. Turning to face the pool, he muttered a few choice words in Latin causing him to disappear.




Pulling Buffy closer into his side, tucking her head under his chin and wrapping his arm securely around her slim waist, Spike sighed contentedly before letting exhaustion take him.

Buffy felt Spike relax; knowing he had fallen asleep, she kissed his chest gently and shut her eyes allowing sleep to come to her as well.

Buffy and Spike started to squirm slightly, unintelligible murmurs pouring from their lips, their eyelids fluttering, they both began to dream.




The room, if you could call it a room, was all white. Just a bright white space; no walls or ceiling. But it felt safe.

“Spike?”

“Right here pet,” Spike stepped behind Buffy and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“Where are we? Are we dreaming?” Buffy wondered aloud.

“I think so, don’t really know for sure,” Spike said while taking in his surroundings. His vampire senses were prickling, trying to pick up anything that would let them know where they were. “I’m not sensin’ anythin’ out of the ordinary here.”

“Besides the fact that we are in an overly bright… ‘room’ with no doors or walls or ceiling or.. oh god! Why is there no floor?” Buffy stared around her feet trying to make out what they were standing on.

“Easy now luv, let’s keep calm,” he whispered, running his hands up her arms in a soothing motion.

“Why don’t you keep calm you--” she broke off when she noticed a form appear in front of them.

“Who the hell are you?” Spike tensed, prepared to fight if necessary.

“A guide,” the man replied.

Buffy still too shocked to speak simply closed her mouth and continued to stare at the man standing nervously a few feet away.

“You’re a demon,” Spike ground out. “Why the bloody hell should we believe you?”

“Because,” the quiet whisper came from Buffy. “I know him, he works for the Powers. He was Angel’s guide.”

Spike stiffened again at the mention of his grandsire; he didn’t like where this was going.

“Last time I saw you, I had to send Angel to hell,” she said pointedly. “I have a feeling this isn’t a social call.”

“You’re right kid, it’s not.”

“Why are you here Whistler?”

“You know why. It’s time for you to save the world.”




Please don't throw things! I will try and update really soon! Sooner than it took me to put this up!

And please, if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions... Review!!