Chapter 10

Another week went by and everyone at school was still surprised that Spike dumped Drusilla for the weird new girl.

Spike didn’t care, though. For once, he didn’t care about his reputation. He only cared about Buffy.

Buffy still hung out with the friends that she met on her first day. She didn’t care about joining the popular crowd, figuring that she wasn’t welcome anyway.

Spike even started to ditch some of them to hang out with Buffy and her friends. He also started to hang out with Faith more and realized how much he missed being around her. He was sitting with Buffy and the others at lunch, actually enjoying their company.

They were starting to be comfortable around him as well.

Willow was even able to talk to him now.

Buffy glanced down at her watch. “I have to go. I have a make-up exam,” she said, gathering up her things.

Spike looked away from her and stared at Cordelia, who was sitting in front of him. He saw her turn in his direction, then licked his lips.

Her eyes widened. “Buffy, would you tell your boyfriend to stop creeping me out? He’s looking at me like he wants to suck my blood or something.”

Spike laughed and got a smack in the head from Buffy.

“Quit it, I’ll see you later.” She gave him a peck on the lips and headed out of the cafeteria.

Spike watched her go and focused back on the brunette in front of him.

Xander caught the look this time. “Dude, could you stop checking out my girlfriend? I know she’s hot, but you have your own eye candy.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Please, Harris. I’m not after your girl, just love to make her uncomfortable,” he said with a smirk.

Cordelia rolled her eyes this time. “We’re going now, Xander,” she said and stood up, pulling Xander with her.

He managed a small wave to Willow before Cordelia yanked him away.

Spike shook his head. “What’s the whelp doing with a bitch like her? I know what she used to be like, doesn’t seem his type.”

Willow shrugged. “It was a shock to all of us, but Cordy really has changed. She used to be a lot worse. I think she really cares for Xander.”

Spike wasn’t very convinced, but didn’t say anything else about it.


* * * * *


Buffy walked out of her last class and headed to her locker. When she got there, she felt someone grab her from behind and slam her into the lockers. She turned around to see who her attacker was and stared at the angry face of Drusilla.

“God, what the hell is your problem?”

Drusilla glared at her. “You are my problem, Betty. The stars have told me that you took my Spike away from me. You have made Miss Edith very unhappy.”

Buffy shoved the dark haired girl away from her. “Is that supposed to make any sense? I think you belong in an institution, not a high school.”

Drusilla grinned wickedly. “It takes one to know one.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “What is that supposed to mean?”

“The stars tell me that you have been a very naughty girl. Getting sent to the prison for the insane. Shame on you,” Drusilla commented, making a motion with her fingers.

Buffy suddenly had a fearful look on her face as she realized what the crazy girl was talking about. “How did you know about that?”

Drusilla pointed to her head. “It’s all up here, deary. I suppose you told my Spike your little story. He’s only with you because he feels sorry for you.”

Buffy shook her head. “That’s not true. You don’t know anything.”

Drusilla laughed manically.

The sound alone made Buffy cringe.

“He will always love me. I’m his dark princess and no one can replace me. He’ll come back when he’s done with you. He won’t choose the sunlight,” with that said, she walked away.

Buffy stared after her, wondering if there was any truth to her words. She shook those thoughts away and had to keep telling herself that the girl was crazy. She got what she needed from her locker, then left the school. She really hoped that what Drusilla said about Spike wasn’t true, but a part of her felt worried. Buffy realized that she could lose him, and that thought scared her more than anything else. She didn’t think she could handle anymore heartache. She stood outside the school and waited for Spike to show up as she reached into her pocket for something to calm her. Buffy knew what she had to do. She couldn't risk getting hurt again. She just prayed that she wouldn’t end up regretting it.