Chapter 13

Buffy walked downstairs and into the kitchen, where she found Giles. She gave the older man a smile.

“Hey, Giles. Have you seen Spike?”

He glanced up at her and nodded. “Yes, he’s running a few errands for me. Take a seat, Buffy. I want to talk to you.”

Buffy nodded as well and sat down, dreading what he would tell her.

“I don’t know everything that has been going on in your life, Buffy. I only know what I have seen and I’m deeply worried about you,” he claimed.

“I’m really sorry, Giles. I didn’t mean to cause so much trouble. I’ve talked to Spike and I’m really gonna try to do better. I don’t want to worry anyone.”

Giles nodded in acceptance and gave her a small smile. “Your mother was a very dear friend of mine. I actually met you once before. You were so young then, I don’t suppose you would remember. She would sometimes talk to me about everything, including the problems that she would have with your father. I do know that your mother was very proud of you.”

Buffy tried not to cry at what he said. “There was nothing for her to be proud about.”

Giles shook his head. “I don’t believe that. I have something for you,” he said, reaching into his pocket and taking out a silver necklace.

Buffy got a better look at it and noticed that it was a locket; it also looked really familiar to her.

“Your mother gave this to me after she found out that she was ill. She made me promise to give it to you if anything was to happen to her, and I’m not one to break promises.” He handed her the locket.

Buffy took it from him, not able to stop the tears from forming in her eyes when she remembered that Joyce used to always wear that locket. She opened it up and found a picture of her mother and a miniature Buffy. It was one of her favorites. She put the locket on and looked at Giles, with teary eyes. “Thank you,” she commented quietly.

Giles had more that he wanted to say. “I should be thanking you.”

Buffy wasn’t sure why he would want to thank her, but he decided to clarify for her.

“I wanted to thank you for what you’ve done for my son. I don’t believe I have ever seen William this happy since his mother passed away. I know most of that is because of you.”

Buffy blushed. “I didn’t really do anything.”

Giles shook his head. “You have done more than you think. I only know that his attitude has been getting better, and his grades have improved. I just wanted you to know that we are both grateful that you’re here.”

Buffy felt touched and for the first time in her life, she actually felt like she really was wanted. “I’m grateful to be here, too.”

Giles just gave her another smile.

Spike then entered the house. He placed the bags down that he was carrying and turned to both of them. “Did I miss anything good?”

Buffy shook her head. “No, we were just talking.”

Spike nodded and accepted her answer as he started to put stuff away.

Giles left them alone a few minutes later.

Spike went over to Buffy once he was finished. “How are you?”

Buffy smiled. “I’m good; I think I’m finally starting to believe that.”

Spike smiled as well, pressing a kiss to her lips. “Glad to hear it, love. Why don’t we go out this weekend? Have ourselves a proper date?”

Buffy felt excited at that idea. “Sounds like a plan. What did you have in mind?”

Spike shook his head. “That would be a surprise. Just be ready on Saturday night and leave everything to me.”

“Should I be worried?”

Spike took her hand in his and gave it a kiss, gazing into her eyes. “Just trust me to take care of you, Buffy. Can you do that?”

Buffy didn’t hesitate with her answer. “Yeah, I trust you.”

Spike smiled again and gave her another kiss. “You won’t regret it.”

She smiled in return. “I know.” For the first time, Buffy knew that she would have no regrets. She would trust this man with her life.