Chapter 2

Two weeks went by and Buffy was getting better at school. In LA she would always get bad grades in her classes, but here she was definitely improving. She had Willow to thank for that. She had better friends here than she ever had before. Buffy was walking to her locker, when she heard a commotion and a lot of raised voices in the distance. She went to see what was going on and was stunned at the sight in front of her. A dark haired girl had her hand around a jock’s throat, and she didn’t look pleased.

“I told you to leave her the hell alone, you got that? She never did anything to you,” she spat, letting him go after a moment.

He rubbed his neck and glared at her. “You’re a crazy bitch.”

She rolled her eyes. “Tell me something I don’t know. Get lost and if I see you messing with my sister again, I will personally kick your ass.”

The guy didn’t have to be told twice and ran in the other direction.

The girl looked at the crowd around her. “The show’s over,” she told them, then turned to the younger girl next to her. “It’s okay now, Dawny. I’m sure that jerk won’t bother you again.”

She nodded and hugged her sister.

Buffy was still standing there, when the older girl glanced up at her.

“Didn’t I say the show was over?”

Buffy was startled out of her reverie. “I’m sorry; I just wanted to see what was going on. That was pretty cool.”

The brunette grinned. “Yeah, I thought so. I’m Faith, by the way.”

She smiled in response. “I’m Buffy; it’s nice to meet you.”

“Likewise, this is Dawn.”

Buffy smiled at the younger girl, who returned it.

They were interrupted by another voice.

“Nice work, Lehane. That was pretty good.”

Buffy was surprised when Spike showed up.

Faith smirked now. “You know it,” she said, giving him a high five.

Buffy seemed to be even more confused.

Spike ruffled Dawn’s hair. “How’ve you been, kid?”

She pulled away, slapping him lightly on the arm. “I’m not a kid.”

Spike held his hands up in surrender. “Of course you’re not, my mistake.”

Faith noticed Buffy standing there in silence and introduced them. “Spike, this is Buffy. Not sure if you met each other yet.”

Spike finally noticed Buffy there and smiled. “Right, the clumsy girl. We go way back.”

Buffy glared at him.

He only winked at her and turned back to Faith “I’ll catch you ladies later.”

Faith nodded and focused back on her sister once he was gone. “You should get to class, squirt.”

Dawn rolled her eyes at the nickname. “Yeah, see you later,” she said, heading away from them.

Buffy finally spoke up when they were alone. “You’re friends with Spike?”

Faith nodded. “Yeah, me and bleach boy grew up together basically. Well, since he moved here. We still hang whenever he’s not around those losers he calls friends these days.”

Buffy nodded in understanding. “I take it you don’t like them.”

Faith shook her head. “Hardly, they’re total snobs. I can’t stand that chick Spike is dating; even he can do better than that. She’s psychotic and I mean literally, but he obviously can’t see it.”

Buffy figured that she was referring to the dark haired girl she saw Spike with.

“So, you from LA?” Faith asked suddenly.

Buffy nodded again, not sure what else to say.

Faith only smiled at her. “Did you really burn down the gym at your old school?”

Buffy was surprised by the question. “How did you know that?”

Faith shrugged. “I snuck into the office at lunch and read your file.”

Buffy was about to ask her about that, but never got the chance.

“We just don’t get a lot of new kids, so I was curious. I didn’t tell anyone.”

Buffy sighed in relief. She didn’t want people to know about that, figuring her reputation was already bad enough.

Faith grabbed her arm. “Let’s get out of here, B.”

Buffy only nodded and let Faith lead her out of the school.