Chapter 3

Buffy entered her house later that day to find her father waiting for her in the living room.

“This can’t be good,” she said, wondering what she did wrong now.

Hank got off of the couch and moved over to her. “We need to talk, Buffy.”

She nodded and figured a lecture was coming, but this time she didn’t know why. “What about?”

Hank looked like he was thinking about how to start the conversation. “I have some business to take care of in New York. I would be leaving in a few days and will probably be gone for a couple of months.”

Buffy was surprised by that. “We’re going to New York?”

Hank shook his head. “No, I’m going to New York. I can’t have you come with me.”

Buffy felt hurt, but tried not to show it. “So, I’m just going to stay here by myself?”

“You know I can’t let you stay here alone. I called an old friend that lives here and asked him for a favor. He was actually a friend of your mother’s. Anyway, he has agreed to let you stay with him until I return.”

Buffy couldn’t believe what was happening. “You’re making me stay with a stranger?”

Hank knew this would be difficult. His daughter could always be stubborn, just like her mother. “He’s decent and has a son around your age. I’m sure you’ll be fine,” he finished, walking away from her.

It was then that Buffy panicked. She felt tears in her eyes and didn’t care to hide them. “Can’t I go with you, Daddy? I promise I won’t be in the way. You won’t even notice me. Please, take me with you,” she practically pleaded.

Hank glanced at his daughter for a brief second, then turned away. “I’m sorry, Buffy. It would be best if you stayed here. You should pack what you would need,” was the last thing he said before heading up the stairs.

Buffy couldn’t help the tears from falling down her face as she sat on the couch. She buried her face in her hands and let the sobs take over her body.


* * * * *


Hank pulled up to a big house a few days later.

Buffy looked at the place where she would be living for the next couple of months and again felt disappointed. She couldn’t believe her father was dumping her there.

They got out of the car and walked up to the house.

Hank knocked on the door.

A man dressed in tweed answered it after a moment. He wore glasses and seemed to be kind enough. “Mr. Summers, it’s nice to see you again.”

Hank nodded. “Same to you, Mr. Giles. This is Buffy, my daughter.”

Giles turned his gaze on the girl. “It’s nice to meet you, Buffy. Your mother talked about you constantly.”

Buffy felt saddened at the thought of her mother and wondered why she never met this man before.

Hank decided to change the subject. “I’m really glad you could take her on such short notice.”

Giles nodded as well. “It’s quite all right. Please, come in.”

Buffy stepped into the house, followed by Hank.

He handed her the bag he was carrying and gave her a look. “I’ll call you later, Buffy. You be good and stay out of trouble.”

All she could do was nod.

Hank gave the other man a smile, then left the house.

Giles closed the door and gazed at the young girl. “I’ll show you to the guestroom. My son should be home soon. There’s no telling where he is right now.”

That didn’t make Buffy feel any better as she followed after him.


* * * * *


Buffy put some of her stuff away when she was left alone in her new room. It wasn’t so bad and it was definitely bigger than her room at home. She placed Mr. Gordo on the bed and lay down.

“Say hello to your new home,” she said to herself, then glanced around the room. “It’s more like a prison.” She hugged the pig close to her. The place wasn’t so bad and Mr. Giles seemed nice enough, but she still felt miserable and even more alone. She wished things could be the way they were back in Los Angeles when she was younger, before her mom died. They were a happy family then, more or less. Her dad would do stuff with her. Now, he could hardly even look at her. Buffy was broke out of her reverie when she heard voices downstairs. She left her room to see what was going on and decided to listen at the top of the stairs. She heard Giles talking to someone and figured it was his son. Her eyes widened once she recognized the other person. She would know that voice anywhere. Buffy was staying in Spike’s house.

Could life possibly get any worse?