Chapter 4

“You’re letting some bint stay here? This isn’t a bloody motel!”

Giles let out a sigh. “I didn’t have a choice, William. Her father went to New York and she can’t stay in her house alone. She’s only sixteen. I owe it to her mother. Buffy seems like a nice girl.”

Spike raised his eyebrows at the familiar name. “Buffy? Buffy Summers?” he wondered.

Giles nodded. “Yes, how did you know?”

Spike groaned. “Bloody great.”

Buffy heard enough and finally made her presence known in the kitchen, where the argument was taking place.

Spike turned to look at her.

“Sorry, I wanted to see what all the noise was about.”

Spike rolled his eyes and walked by her. “I’ll be in my room,” he told them, making his way up the stairs.

They heard a door slam and then loud music blasting.

Giles rubbed his eyes. “I’m sorry about that. My son can be very difficult.”

Buffy nodded and gave him a small smile. “I don’t think he really wants me here.”

Giles shook his head. “Nonsense, he’ll get used to it,” he claimed, cringing when the music got louder.

“How can you survive with him blasting the Sex Pistols?”

Giles stared at her, shocked that she knew what music it was. “I honestly don’t know. Perhaps I have gotten used to it.”

Buffy nodded in understanding. She would sometimes always lock herself in her room and blast music when her parents were fighting. They did that more when Buffy got older. The fights were usually about her and she felt guilty knowing that she was the cause of most of their problems.


* * * * *


She went up to her room a few minutes later and paused outside of Spike’s door for a moment.

It suddenly swung open and he stood there glaring at her.

Buffy noticed that he was shirtless and couldn’t stop staring at his chest.

Spike saw where her eyes rested, a smirk now forming on his face. “See anything you like, pet?”

Buffy shook herself out of the daze she found herself in, crossing her arms over her chest. “I was looking for the bathroom.”

Spike pointed to the door next to his room.

She nodded and moved over to it, but Spike got there first.

“This was actually where I was headed,” he said with a smile, closing the door in her face.

Buffy really wished that she could have wiped that smile off of his features. She shook her head and was about to walk back to her room, but stopped to look in Spike’s instead. She took a deep breath before entering his room, figuring it couldn’t hurt to look around for a second. Almost everything in his room was black. He really needed to learn about colors. Buffy was browsing through his music collection and was impressed by what she found. She was also stunned to not find anything from Billy Idol, assuming that Spike stole his look from the rockstar. She glanced around some more, locating a picture on his desk. She picked it up to see an attractive older woman with long, dark hair. She was standing next to a young boy with curly, brown hair and glasses. She realized that the boy was Spike and the woman was probably his mother. Buffy couldn’t believe Spike used to look like that, he seemed so decent then. She wondered where his mother was, but was brought out of her thoughts by a voice in the doorway.

“Can I help you with something?”

Buffy turned around to see Spike standing there, and he didn’t look happy.

Spike went over to her and snatched the photo out of her hands. “You shouldn’t be in here,” he said harshly.

Buffy backed away a little. “I’m sorry, I was just looking around. I didn’t mess with anything.”

Spike placed the picture back on his desk.

“Is that your mother?” she wondered.

He looked back at her, with cold eyes. “That’s none of your business, Betty. Just stay out of here from now on, you got that? It’s bad enough that you have to stay here. What? Your father didn’t want you around, so he dumped you on us? I don’t think we should have to suffer for that.”

Buffy had tears in her eyes at his cruel words, then backed out of the room. “I’m sorry I bothered you.”

Spike watched her go with a sigh. He didn’t mean to say that and felt even worse when he saw the look on her face. He knew these next few months would feel like an eternity. He just prayed that they would be able to survive each other.