Chapter 5

Buffy was sitting on her bed and clutching Mr. Gordo to her chest, when there was a sudden knock on the door.

“It’s open,” she said, surprised when Spike came into the room.

He took a deep breath. “Look, I wanted to say I’m sorry. I get a bit angry when people look at my stuff, but I shouldn’t have said what I did.”

Buffy shook her head and stood up. “Why should you apologize for the truth? What you said was right. He could have taken me to New York with him, but he didn’t. He didn’t want me around. He never wants me around. Not anymore,” she said the last part softly, then walked by him and out of the room.

Spike let out a sigh, knowing that he had to somehow make things better.


* * * * *


Buffy walked downstairs and into the kitchen to get something to drink, noticing that Giles was talking to someone on the phone.

He turned to look at her. “Good, you’re down here. Your father’s on the phone,” he said, handing her the telephone.

Buffy’s face lit up a little as she took it from him, shocked that her dad was already calling her. She knew he couldn’t be in New York yet.

Spike entered the kitchen in that moment.

Buffy hardly even noticed as she held the phone to her ear. “Hey, Dad. How’s it going?” She listened to him for a few seconds, a frown now on her features. “Right, I guess if you have to. I was wondering if you would be able to visit next weekend. I’m sure you would be able to get away for a few days. Maybe we could go to LA. We haven’t visited Mom in a while. Her birthday’s coming up.” She stopped talking and listened to what he was saying on the other line, trying not to let more tears fall. “Come on, Dad. I’m only asking for a few days, please?” She sighed and listened some more. “Yeah, okay. Maybe some other time, then.” Buffy felt pained when he hung up and took the phone away from her ear. “Love you, too,” she whispered to herself, placing the phone back on the receiver. She glanced up to notice that Giles and Spike were standing there and staring at her. She only shrugged, forcing a small smile on her face. “He has more important things to do. I should have known, right?” she said, not really wanting an answer. “I’m tired, I think I’m gonna lay down for a bit.” Buffy walked out of the kitchen and went back upstairs to her room.

Spike spoke up once she was gone. “Bloody pillock, doesn’t even know a cry for help when he hears it.”

“What are you talking about?” Giles asked.

Spike rolled his eyes. “Isn’t it obvious? The girl is practically begging for attention and he doesn’t even see it. He can’t even tell when his own daughter is hurting.”

Giles nodded in understanding.

Spike thought of something else. “What happened to her mum? She still live in LA?”

Giles shook his head. “Her mother passed away recently. She had a brain tumor.”

Spike felt even worse for Buffy and knew what it was like to lose your mother. He then thought back to her phone conversation. “What was all that about visiting her for her birthday?”

“I suppose she was referring to visiting the grave. I don’t know Hank very well, but he used to be a different man. They fought a lot, but he loved Joyce. When she died, it was like a part of him died with her. I know the feeling,” he stated sadly.

Spike knew that it would only upset his father more to bring up the subject of his mother, so he turned the conversation back to Buffy. “You think she’ll be okay?”

Giles raised his eyebrows. “I’m surprised you care, William. You didn’t seem like you wanted her here.”

Spike shrugged. “I don’t like sharing my space, it’s nothing against her. She’s not so bad and I didn’t know her situation then. I feel for her.”

Giles placed his hand on his son’s shoulder. “Right now, we are all this girl has. I would be most appreciative if you would make things easier for her.”

Spike thought about it and nodded. He couldn’t imagine giving her a hard time now. She stirred feelings in him from the moment he first saw her. He didn’t understand it and tried to hide the feelings, but they were still there. He knew they would definitely not go away now that she was living in his house. He had to try, though. He could be her friend, but nothing more. Spike had a girlfriend and he would never do anything to hurt Drusilla. He just figured that Buffy needed a friend at the moment. Someone that would be there when she needed them. That’s exactly what Spike would do. If she would let him.