Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the short chapter. Things are about to get more emotional!
Chapter 6

Spike entered the cafeteria the next day and glanced around. He drove Buffy to school and she remained quiet the whole time. It was obvious she didn’t want to talk. She ran off when they got there and he had yet to see her again. That’s why he was looking in the cafeteria for her. He spotted the familiar red head and her friends at their usual table, but no Buffy. He made his way over to them, stunned to see shocked expressions on their faces. He smiled and looked at the girl that caught his attention.

“You’re Willow, right?”

All she could do was nod.

“Do you know where Buffy is?”

Willow shook her head and still seemed to be at a loss for words.

Cordelia rolled her eyes. “She said she wasn’t feeling well and decided to take a walk outside. See how easy that was, Willow? You act like he’s God’s gift or something. He’s not that special.”

Spike grinned at the brunette. “Love you, too, sweetheart.”

Cordelia gave him a false smile, then lifted her middle finger. “Bite me, Spike.”

He blew her a kiss and went to look for Buffy.


* * * * *


Spike finally found her on the football field, with a few of the jocks. He grew angry when he saw one of them with their hands on Buffy, heading in their direction.

“Is there a problem here?” he said, causing them to look up at him.

Buffy rolled her eyes.

“No problem, Giles. Why don’t you be on your way now? We’ve got everything under control,” the lead jock said, handing Buffy a flask.

She snatched it out of his hand and took a long drink.

Spike had enough, ripping the flask out of her hands and pulling her up. “We’re leaving now.”

Buffy struggled in his tight grip.

He then picked her up and threw her over his shoulder, walking away from the field.

She punched his back. “Spike, put me down! What the hell are you doing?”

He put her down once they were far enough away. “I was getting you away from them. They’re trouble, Buffy. They probably would have raped you if I didn’t show up.”

Buffy shrugged and walked by him. “Who cares? At least someone would have noticed me.”

Spike grabbed her arm to stop her. “You would care. Why are you acting like this? I know you’re hurting about your old man, but this isn’t the way of dealing with it.”

Buffy glared at him, yanking her arm out of his grasp. “Oh, I suppose you would be the expert on that? You don’t know anything about me or my life. Do us both a favor and leave me alone.” She tried to walk away again, but he wouldn’t let her.

“You’re right; I don’t know anything about you or your life. I want to know, though. Help me understand, Buffy.”

She shook her head as tears started to form in her eyes. “You don’t care, no one cares.”

Spike’s heart was breaking for her. “You can trust me, Buffy. Let me care for you. What can I do to help?”

Buffy stared into his eyes, tears streaming down her face. “Bring her back. You said you wanted to help. Please, I need her. I can’t do this alone. It wasn’t fair, it should have been me.”

Spike didn’t know what she was talking about, but had a feeling it had something to do with her mother.

She broke down in sobs and fell to the ground. “Please, give her back to me.”

Spike wasn’t even sure if she was talking to him anymore. He just bent down and wrapped his arms around the fragile girl.

Buffy buried her head against his chest and continued to cry. “God, I can’t do this. I’m so alone, please make it stop.”

He whispered soothing words to her as he continued to hold her. Spike now knew that he would do whatever he could to help this girl. She wouldn’t be alone anymore.