Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanx to all my reviewers and readers. The next chap will be the face off with Ethan, Angelus and the first. Please let me know what you think....
For those of you asking "why isnt Spike suffering because of his soul?" its because i always thought getting his soul back should be wonderful, not torturous so i skipped the pain. Besides I think he earned a soul without baggage dont you guys?




“Oh my goddess” Willow whispered once Giles had explained everything to them.

Xander reached for Anyas hand and she spoke up. “If Buffy and Spike dies what will happen?” she asked ever so bluntly.

Giles stood up from his seat. “I rather imagine the world will become everyone’s version of hell combined.”

“Bunnies….” Anya said angrily, “Buffy, Spike, don’t die.”

“Well try not too luv.” He said with a smirk.


Tara and Willow had found something in one of the books, a legend of a scythe that could stop the first in its evil tracks even though it was non-corporeal.


“Well the two of you best be off then, you have to find that weapon. It could be the key to saving the world.” Giles said.

“I thought Spikes amulet was the key?” Buffy said irritated, still not liking her mate wearing that tacky/dangerous baubble.

“Well it’s one of them.” Giles corrected.

“So the scythe is only half the key?” Buffy pushed.

“I don’t know. Stop procrastinating with questions and go find the weapon Buffy.”

Spike bristled. “Don’t talk to her like that watcher. I don’t see you running into the dark to find this thing. It’s her life, don’t you think she can put off impending death for as long as she likes?” he spat out and Giles had the decency to look away.

The blonde couple left the others to work out the other details.


They’d gone to ten graveyards already and where searching through the vineyard when an elderly but beautiful woman stepped out of the shadows. Her hair was long and white and flowed as if the wind was blowing it although there was no breeze.

Buffy and Spike cocked their heads and stared at her, waiting for her to speak.

The woman only smiled and held out this wicked looking axe thingy.

Buffy grabbed it, moving it around in her hands for a moment and looked back to the woman.

“It feels like it belongs to me.”

“It does.”

“Who are you?”

“Someone on your side.”

“What does it do.”

“Youll see, when the time is right you’ll know what to do with it. You are the hellmouths last guardians Buffy Anne Summers and Spike.” She cringed at both their names.

“Don’t you mean the current guardian?”

“No, I mean the last it will be given.”

“What does that mean?”

“You will understand, in time you will understand.Goodbye William”the woman said as she kissed Spike on the cheek while he stood there frozen. “Be a good boy, I love you and always have.”

“You know im starting to fucken hate these cryptic messages” Buffy fumed but the woman was gone by the time she was done talking.

“Huh.” Was all Buffy could manage as she waved her hand through the empty place where the woman had been standing just seconds ago. Buffy turned and looked at Spike

Spike wasn’t moving and she could feel so much emotions course through her due to the blood bond they now shared.

He finally looked up to where the woman had been standing and whispered, “I love you too mom.”


He took Buffys hand and starting walking back to the shop and Buffy could feel a new determination in his steps.

“She’s beautiful Spike.”

“I know.” He answered and told her about what had happened between them when he was turned.

“you turned your mom?”

“Ya.” Spike said full of shame.

“I think it was sweet in a way.”

Spike stopped dead in his undead tracks. “I killed my mum pet, theres nothing sweet about it.”

She cupped his face. “I didn’t mean to upset you Spike. I meant that you described your life as depressing and full of hurt and pain. Your mom loved you more then anything and to see you happy and confident must have made her proud no matter what you did. She was sick Spike, you took the sick away. I know you had to stake her but you gave her something neither of you would have had in life.”

“whats that pet?” Spike asked as he lit a smoke, his voice strained.

“The real you. The you that was beneath no one, the you that she could see.”

Spike had tears in his eyes as he tossed his smoke and pulled Buffy into a rough kiss that was filled with passion. When they broke away panting Buffy smiled at him and he returned it.

“She is beautiful isn’t she?”










When they got to the shop everyone seemed ready. Tara and Willow had the ingredients they needed for the protection spells they where going to put on Spike and Buffy and everyone else and they where all geared up. Xander looked like a dorky Rambo and Buffy choked on her own laughter.

Willow saw what she was looking at and then all the girls started laughing along with the other men.

“What?” Xander yelled. He was wearing a white wifebeater and army cargo pants. Weapons and stakes hung from a sling across his chest but the real clincher was the bandana he’d folded and put around his head.

“Nothing.”Buffy said sweetly and looked at all her friends. Tonight she would save them or die trying.


Willow and Tara worked their magik and put the spell over them all. It would stop them from being hurt from punches and kicks, fangs and what not but a weapon could pierce their mojo armor no problem.

The scythe and amulet began to glow and the friends all looked at each other silently. Buffy led the way out of the shop, somehow she knew where they had to go.