Chapter 10

Angel and Spike came back and found Buffy in Angel’s office holding her head. She looked up at them when they came in. “Did you find her?” She asked them and Angel nodded.

“Yeah, we got there just in time.” Buffy felt relieved.

“Do you have any aspirin?” Angel shook his head.

“Sorry, don’t really have a use for it.” Buffy put her head back in her hands and Spike and Angel were worried as they looked at her. She looked back up at them and didn’t know what to say, but Angel beat her to it. “Buffy, how did you know about that girl?” Buffy sighed.

“I saw her.” She said in a low voice and it was starting to make sense.

“You had a vision, didn’t you?” Buffy nodded and Angel thought about it. “You’re my link to the powers now?” She shrugged and stood up.

“I was sent here to help you. There’s a big apocalypse coming up and it’s up to you two to save the world this time. You both will be given the chance to become human, but only if you can work together. If you continue to fight, then neither of you will be chosen.” Spike couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

“So, you’re a messenger for the Powers now?” He asked and Buffy nodded.

“I guess you can say that. There’s something else you guys should know. I haven’t been completely honest about how I got these powers and about what really happened to me.” She explained.

“What happened?” Angel asked and Buffy looked at both of them. She took a breath before she answered.

“About a month ago, I came across a demon. A very strong and powerful demon that I was stupid enough to fight by myself. Anyway, to make a long story short I kinda died...again.” Spike raised his eyebrows.

“You were killed by a demon?” Buffy nodded and got back to her story.

“Yes, ever since I lost you I haven’t really been fighting very well and the demon was pretty strong. So, I died and then the Powers brought me up there and offered me a choice. They said I could be finished and go on to Heaven like I did last time, or I could be sent back more powerful than I was and help people. I wasn’t sure at first, until they told me about what would happen in LA and that you were there.” She said looking at Spike. “It was an obvious choice then. So, they sent me back to my apartment in my room and that’s when Dawn found me. I never told her that I died; I just told her that I dreamt it just like I told you. Then after that, I realized that I couldn’t be killed and I started to have visions of people in trouble. They really should have warned me about how painful those would be. I would still be able to age though, so it’s not like I’m completely immortal. I’m pretty sure I can be decapitated.” She said looking at Angel. “I’m once again grateful that you have such bad aim.” Angel and Spike tried to process what she was saying, but there was something that Spike didn’t understand.

“You were given the option of going back to Heaven? Why did you turn that down?” Spike asked her and she turned her gaze on him.

“I realized that I wasn’t ready to go back. I knew that I had more to do here and after finding out that you were back, it was an easy decision. I’m not really meant to stay dead anyway.” She said with a smile and Spike hugged her after that.

“I can’t believe you chose me over Heaven.” Buffy felt her eyes start to tear up as she held him.

“I love you, Spike. I couldn't be without you anymore." Spike pulled away and looked at her to see that she was sincere. He wiped some of her tears away and leaned in to give her a gentle kiss on the lips.

“I love you, too.” He said as he hugged her again and felt tears form in his eyes also. Angel watched them without saying anything. He realized that they really loved each other and he wouldn’t do anything to get in the middle of that. He just hoped that they would be able to work together.