Chapter 7

“Why are you really here?” Angel asked Buffy and she rolled her eyes.

“I thought we already went over that.” He shook his head.

“No, not here in the office. I mean why are you in LA? Why now? Is it just because Spike’s back?” He wondered.

“That’s part of it. I’m here on a mission.” Angel crossed his arms over his chest.

“What would that be?” He said as Buffy got closer to him.

“If I told you, I’d have to kill you.” She replied with a smile.

“Are you just here to choose which one of us gets to become human?” Buffy shrugged.

“That could be it, but I have to say that you’re not really getting many points at the moment.” She said as she started to walk away. He then grabbed her arm and pulled her back to him and without even thinking about it, he kissed her hard on the mouth. Buffy pushed him away after a few seconds. “What are you doing? We can’t keep doing that every time we see each other, Angel. Things are different now.” She explained.

“I’m sorry, but things aren’t that different. I still love you, Buffy. I never stopped.” Buffy sighed and saw how sincere he was.

“I know that and I’ll always love you, but I’m not the same girl anymore. I’ve moved on and to be honest I thought you did, too. I know that things were going on with you and Cordelia and she may be in a coma right now, but that doesn’t mean that you should just forget about her. You don’t know if she would wake up or not.” Angel knew she was right and he couldn’t believe that he actually forgot about Cordelia. He hasn’t even visited her in a few weeks.

“You’re right, I shouldn’t have done it. You love Spike, don’t you?” He said and was surprised by how calm he was about it. Buffy just nodded.

“Yeah, I do. You okay with that?” Angel thought about it and nodded also.

“I wouldn’t say I’m that happy with it, but I can see that you are and that’s all that matters. I only want you to be happy, Buffy.” Buffy smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

“Thanks, Angel. That really means a lot to me. I should probably go and find him. We’ll talk later.” Angel nodded as she walked out of his office. He sighed as he watched her go and sat down at his desk. He rubbed his face and thought about the conversation he had with Buffy. Angel now knew that she would never choose him and he realized that he was okay with that.


* * * * *


Buffy walked into her room and found Spike sitting on the bed. “Where’s Dawn?” She asked as she sat down next to him.

“She’s with Lorne. I was waiting for you.” Buffy grabbed his hand and he looked at her. She was caught in his gaze.

“I really missed you.” She said and Spike smiled at her.

“I missed you, too. I’m sorry I never told you I was back. I didn’t want to ruin your chance at a normal life and I thought I was doing the right thing, but after talking to Dawn I realized that I was wrong.” Buffy looked away from him.

“What did she tell you?” Spike sighed.

“That you haven’t been involved with anyone else. That you never got over losing me. I’m sorry, Buffy. I didn’t mean to put you through that.” Buffy looked back at him.

“It’s okay, I mean I get why you didn’t tell me. I’m sorry I lied to you.” She stated and Spike nodded.

“It’s forgotten.” He said as he leaned closer to her and kissed her on the lips. He then pulled away suddenly. “You kissed him?” He asked her and Buffy knew what he was talking about.

“Right, I forgot that you would be able to sense that. I can explain.” Spike shook his head and stood up.

“No, you don’t need to. Let me guess. It was just a hello, right?” He said in a harsh tone and then walked out of the room. Buffy got up after him.

“Spike, wait!” She yelled after him, but he didn’t even look back. Buffy let out a sigh. “Great, I really know how to screw everything up.” She said to herself as she walked back in her room and lay on the bed. She decided to leave him alone for right now.