Chapter 8

Spike barged into Angel’s office and grabbed his shirt, shoving him into a wall. “So, were you just getting her to choose you? Was that it? You have always taken everything from me, but I won’t let you do it again.” Angel grabbed Spike’s arm and pushed him away.

“What the hell are you talking about?” Spike rolled his eyes.

“Did you think I wouldn’t notice? Keep your lips off of my girl. You got that, mate?” Angel sighed when he realized what Spike was talking about.

“It was a mistake, alright? I shouldn’t have kissed her and I know that. If it makes you feel any better, she pushed me away when it happened.” Spike then backed off a little.

“She did?” Angel nodded.

“She told me off, too. She loves you, Spike. I don’t like it, but it’s true.” Angel explained and Spike seemed to calm down after that.

“She told you that?” Angel nodded again and Spike sighed. “I really should have let her explain.” He said more to himself than Angel.

“What did you do?” Spike shrugged.

“I just couldn’t handle the fact that she kissed you again, so I left her without hearing an explanation. I better go talk to her.” Angel nodded in agreement.

“Spike, can I give you a bit of advice?” Spike thought about it and then nodded also. Angel took a breath before he spoke again. “Don’t jump to conclusions. You two have to learn to trust each other because if you don’t listen to her, then you’re just going to push her away. Don’t ever let her go, Spike. Trust me on that. It would be the biggest mistake of your life, believe me I know.” Angel finished and Spike thought about what he said. He rubbed his eyes and then looked at Angel with a serious expression on his face.

“I just love her so much. I can’t help thinking that you’re going to steal her away from me. Just like Drusilla, but Buffy means so much more to me. I can’t lose her.” Spike was surprised that he could open up like that to Angel and he could tell that Angel seemed just as surprised. Angel then walked over to him with a soft look on his face.

“That was Angelus, Spike. I won’t steal her away from you. I can see how much you love each other and I would never want to get in the way of that. Not if being with you will make Buffy happy. She’s been through so much in her life, she deserves some happiness. Even if I have to let her go for that to happen. She was never really happy with me; maybe she can be with you.” Spike couldn’t believe what Angel was saying, but he was starting to feel better.

“I guess I have a girl to find.” He told him with a smile as he headed for the door. He turned back to look at Angel one more time. “Thanks,” he said as he walked out of Angel's office.


* * * * *


Buffy walked outside to get some fresh air. She was looking up at the sky, when she then felt a presence next to her. “So, how are things going?” A male voice said and Buffy shrugged.

“Not that good. They still seem to be at each others throats. I think me being here is making it worse.” She said with a sad expression.

“Don’t worry about it, Slayer. Those two can be difficult, it takes time.” Buffy sighed and looked at the demon next to her.

“Why are you here, Whistler? The Powers didn’t have to send you here to check up on me. I can handle those two.” Whistler smiled at her.

“I’m sure you can, but I was sent here to look out for you. They have to work together in the upcoming apocalypse if either one of them is to become human. They’re the keys to saving the world.” Buffy let out the breath she was holding.

“I’m working on it.” She told him and he didn't say anything else about it. Buffy went back inside a few minutes later and headed up to her room. It was late and she was tired. She decided to talk to Spike tomorrow as she lay down on her bed and drifted off to sleep.


* * * * *


Buffy got up the next day and headed downstairs to see that Connor was back and talking to Dawn. Buffy smiled as she watched them, she could tell that they really seemed to like each other. Dawn smiled when she saw Buffy and waved to her. Buffy waved back. She decided to walk around for a bit and wasn’t really paying attention, when she bumped into Wesley. “Sorry, I was in my own little world there.” She said and he only smiled at her.

“That’s quite alright. You must have a lot on your mind.” Buffy agreed.

“You have no idea. Do you know where Spike is? I need to talk to him.” Wesley shook his head.

“I haven’t seen him. You should probably ask Angel.” Buffy nodded as he walked away.

“That’s what I wanted to avoid.” She said to herself as she went to find Angel. She couldn’t find him in his office, so she decided to look for Fred when she then saw Spike talking to Harmony. She sighed and walked over to them. Harmony saw her and grew scared again.

“Buffy, we were just talking. I didn’t do anything with him, I swear.” She said and Buffy rolled her eyes.

“I’m not going to kill you.” She told her as she turned her gaze on Spike. “Can we talk?” Spike nodded and they both walked away to talk in private. “I just wanted to say that I’m sorry about what happened. I know you’re probably mad at me, but kissing Angel didn’t mean anything. I didn’t even want to do it.” Spike held up his hand to stop her.

“It’s okay, Buffy. I talked to Angel and I realized that it was a mistake. I should have just let you explain when I found out.” He told her.

“You talked to Angel? Did you guys fight?” Spike shook his head.

“No, we just talked and he made me realize a few things. He also seems okay about us. I have to admit, I didn’t see that one coming.” Buffy sighed in relief. It looked like they were finally starting to get along. She knew that she would have to tell them the truth sooner now, but she could wait a little while longer for that.