Spike tried to let sleep take over him again. He tried to make himself comfortable in the center of the bed. But sleep eluded him. His mind kept wandering thinking over the reactions from Buffy's friends. He hadn't expected anyone to get up and stake him at the prospect of the two of them together. She would have never allowed it. However to be welcomed with open arms by Red and to have Giles and Harris take the news quietly if not with resignation wasn't something he had prepared for.
He wondered not for the first time how much things had changed since he had seen the sodden hellmouth close.

He shifted a little on the bed. To tell the truth even though there was a slight twinge in his chest he could tell the wound was closing up. It really wasn't necessary for him to try to rest anymore and he knew that he didn't have to stay in the bedroom. The only alternative however was to go out there and sit with the watcher and the boy as they pawed their way through some dusty old books trying to find something out about the demons they had fought. Not something he really wanted to participate in.

Listening carefully he could hear the girls laughing upstairs. It was good to hear the three of them laughing kind of carefree. He knew that they all had come from such dark places in their lives.

So lying on the bed he willed the time to pass. Not wanting to join in but not wanting to be left out. It scared him how much he really felt the need to be accepted by this group. He had been around them so long just on the fringes of this tight knit circle that she had always kept around her. He couldn't even imagine the pain she must have been feeling for her to cut herself off from them. Using his vamp hearing earlier he had listened closely to what she had to say to them. The walls she was tearing down leaving herself open. It amazed him to no end. There was a time when he was the only one she could talk to, the only one she could tell her deepest fears. Seems that too had changed. And not for the first time he wondered what the hell he was doing here.

The I love you she had said to him as she left the room had stunned him. He didn't know how long he had stared at the door after she had left. A million years could pass and he would never get over the shock of those three little words coming out of the slayers mouth directed at a vampire of all things. The irony was just too much. There had to be a higher power out there somewhere. Who else could enjoy such a cosmic joke?

He stared at the clock on the far wall. It was nearing two o’clock. He couldn't take it anymore he had to get out of the room. The boredom was going to be the death of him.

Walking back into the living room he watched as Xander helped himself to another doughnut. Both men had books scattered all around them.

"You got a whole library out in your car Ripper?"

The man snorted towards him. "This is just my emergency stash." He gestured for Spike to take a recliner that was across from them. "How are you feeling?"

The question knocked him for a loop. "Watcher I'm touched didn't know you cared." he mocked the man by placing a hand over his heart.

"And I didn't say that I did." the cold response made him wish he didn't always have to be so flippant. "Buffy told us about your injury."

Spike shrugged self-consciously. "It's pretty much healed now."

Giles nodded at him.

*********

The time passed quicker here out in the living room. There wasn't much talking just the occasional murmur about different possible demons. Spike shifted in his chair again growing uncomfortable.

"Hey are you guys going to get ready or what?" All three heads turned to stare at the women that had walked down the stairs. He could feel the same reaction in the men behind him. Painfully they all blinked in unison.

Buffy and Willow were dressed in pale blue strapless dresses. Both of the had their hair swept up with a few curls draping their necks. The dresses hung on each of their curves draping sensually over their figures. Faith's white dress was fully sleeved with lace and the front had a plunging neckline. Beaded finely in the front it fit snugly over her hips sweeping delicately to her feet. She wore her hair up also and her veil was arranged with small flowers. The three of them had a perfectly feminine smile on their lips. Pride swelling in each of them over the effect they were having on the men in the room.

Buffy tapped her foot at the silence that followed her question.

"Hello earth to guys." She said impatiently.

"Um yes I suppose that would be best." Giles managed to stutter out.

Spike had managed to get to his feet without thinking. He couldn't believe the beauty before him. She positively radiated with her perfection. If he had to breathe he would be gasping for air. It was like he was drowning being pulled in by her luminescence. Who said the poet in him was dead.

"Buffy you..." he gulped. "You look beautiful love."

Buffy beamed back at him. "Thank you." she started to giggle as the sound of people clearing their throats came from behind her.

For once Xander caught on without any help.

"You all look amazing." He blushed.

The three of them in unison turned their eyes to Giles. And not surprisingly he took off his glasses and began to clean them.

"Yes um you all look quite beautiful. I'll just collect my things from the car then."

"Um Giles would you mind getting my things from the boot of my car?" He asked the question his voice low so only the watcher would hear him.

Luckily the man was feeling generous today it seemed he just nodded his head.

"Don't take to long you guys. Limo will be here in less than an hour."

*********

The wedding itself had been relatively simple. Faith had looked stunning of course as Giles led her down the aisle. The older man had been flattered that she had asked even though he knew that she really didn't have anyone else suitable for the role. Only Buffy, Willow and an old friend of Robin's had stood up front with the couple as they exchanged their vows. Buffy could see the obvious love flow between the two of them. It was wonderful to watch. All to quickly the ceremony was over and they were leaving the small hall where the ceremony was held. They passed the small gathering of people mostly friends of Robin's and a few of the newer slayers that could leave their positions for a day or so. The sun had already set for the day the autumn chill settling into the air.

There was only a small moment of trepidation as the poor groom got into the limo only to be joined by the platinum blond vampire whom he had thought dead. A brief explanation was all it took for the man to forget about the bleached vamp and focus on his new wife beside him. That and her strong hand holding onto his knee. The short ride was than filled with warmth and laughter. Old friends being able to catch up with one another.

The place they had rented for the reception was kind of tiny but with such a small group no one minded. They were served dinner and after a toast from the best man a dj was brought in. Being as this was Faith no sappy love songs were played. It was one hell of a party. The open bar had been a great idea according to Spike and very few disagreed with him. Buffy sipped on her single glass of wine eyes dancing as she watched Wills and Xander dancing together. She was happy and it was wonderful. The only thing she thought was missing was the fact that Dawn wasn't there. But she knew it was okay.

Spike had watched her all night. His eyes couldn't be torn away from the woman he had wanted for so long. She had never looked happier. He wanted to grab her and never let go. Wanted to bury his nose in her hair and breathe in the scent of her shampoo. Hold her as she slept and comfort her when she was sad. He just wanted to be near her. The sight of her as she had first came down those stairs had confirmed what he had known all along. She was the one.

Standing he came up behind her hand touching her shoulder.

"Hey pet."

"Spike." she smiled as his name fell from her lips. She placed her hand over his.

" 'avin' a good time?"

"Very." She giggled. "Look at them out there. Like old times."

He smiled with her. The two out on the dance floor were lost in the music laughter swirling around them.

"Why aren't you out there?"

"Ummm good question. Maybe I should?" She squeezed his hand. "Unless you would rather I stay with you."

"Go have fun with your mates. I can entertain myself for awhile." She squealed in delight and nearly ran to join the other two.

Now the scene before him had the strange sense of deja vu. He thought of the first time he had seen her dancing with them at the Bronze. He had been trapped then he just hadn't known it. Now he didn't kid himself with how obsessed he had been after that first meeting. How he couldn't wait to see her again. In that respect not much had changed she was the only thing on the planet worth dying for but most importantly she was the only thing worth living for. He continued to watch as their bodies swayed in time to the music. He could hear her laughter from where he was sitting.

"I think that I am getting too old for this." He listened as the watcher sat with a huff.

"Nonsense Ripper. I'm way older than you." He looked the man in the eye. "Aged better too."

"Funny. I should think you would be bored by now."

Spike snorted at him and turned again to watch her dancing. "Can't get bored when I'm with her."

"Spike." He turned at the seriousness in the man's tone. "What are you planning?" The vamp gave a little shrug. "I mean the future for you and her."

"I don't know. I 'aven't thought any further than the fact that she told me she loved me."

"No I don't suppose there's been the time."

"Somethin' on your mind watcher?"

He started cleaning his glasses with a napkin from the table. "You know how I feel about her right?" Spike nodded. "I love her like I would a daughter and in some ways I think we are closer than that. Her happiness is something that has always mattered to me." he paused slightly. "I know that she is happy with you. And yes we knew that she loved you even when she wouldn't admit it. These last few months have been extremely difficult for her." He gestured towards the trio. "But so we are clear... if for any reason you ever hurt her know that I will make sure you are so much dust in the wind."

"Fuck watcher if I hurt her I'd rather stake myself."

"And I know that too. I just wanted to make sure we understood each other." His warm gaze fell onto Spikes blue eyes. "Just make her happy." And with that he stood up and walked away from the table.

"Christ what the hell just happened here?" he muttered to himself.

"Spike." he was startled to see her standing right in front of him. "Dance with me."

The music had changed he was noticing now. A slower song and people were pairing off on the dance floor.

"Buffy I don't..." he started then stopped. Who was he kidding of course he wanted to dance with her. What was the harm?
"Of course." He stood taking her hand in his as he walked into the center of the floor.

Slipping his arm around her waist he pulled her in closer to him and together they began to move to the music. She inched closer still resting her head on his shoulder. They moved together bodies touching softly.

Buffy felt the coolness of his skin through the dark blue dress shirt he wore. The feel of his arms around her was a little piece of heaven. She felt so at peace in the haven of his arms. Right now there wasn't a force on earth strong enough to pull her away from this spot. She never would have imagined a time when she would feel a love this strong and so all encompassing. Never would she let it go again. It was only stupid pride that had kept them from being like this only a stupid and wrong sense of what was good and bad. She knew now that she would never want or need another in her life. She finally felt complete. And that was the only thing in the entire world that mattered.