Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks for the reviews Heres the next chapter for ya!
Loud giggles echoed through the empty graveyard the sound bouncing off of the tombstones and cold mausoleums. A dry chuckle followed mingling together spreading through the darkness ahead of them.

"A puppet you can't be serious." Buffy tried to get her giggles to stop. She leaned against a tall monument.

"Serious and you can't even mention Jim Henson to him now. Makes him totally bonkers." His eyes got a wistful look. "Wes always got a good laugh outta that."

Instantly Buffy felt the mood change. The lighthearted feeling they were trying to maintain evaporated like so much mist. In its place the feeling of denied sorrow swept over them seeping into their skin. She felt the giggles die in her throat at once.

"Spike." She looked at him her shared sorrow showing plainly in her hazel eyes. "I'm sorry about... I know you got the chance to get to know them and.... well I'm sorry."

" 'Salright pet." He leaned next to her. "They were a good lot."

"I. I mean you should probably know we... we found the others... that day we uh we... Shit. We saw that they all had proper funerals. Contacted their families and such." she placed her hand on his arm. "If you ever feel the need they're buried just outside Los Angeles."

He placed his hand over hers giving a small squeeze. "Thanks Luv." Silence settled over the two of them. He watched as a slight breeze blew some leaves around the graves in front of them. The thoughts in his mind swirled gently reminding him of the leaves being tossed about so carelessly by the unseen force. "Buffy why weren't you angry when you saw me last night?" He saw her eyes narrow in confusion. "You had every right to be mad at me. You weren't why?"

Looking down she stared at a spot on her foot. She thought about all the ways she could tell him the full truth. Let him know everything make sure there was nothing to hold back. Now was not the right time. Oh but how she wanted to tell him. Just open up completely let it all spill out like a dirty little secret. Again she was going to have to settle with a version of the truth.

Spike watched her bent head staring down at her feet. He could see the change in her body language how her shoulders tensed up how her back was a little straighter.

She looked back up at him taking in the questions pouring out of those clear blue eyes.

"You're alive Spike. How the hell could I be mad at you?" She pushed herself off of the stone walking ahead again. "Yes I was angry when I found out you were alive. For like a few seconds. There wasn't time for me to be mad." As she kept walking Spike started walking falling into step beside her. "I just wanted a chance to tell you everything to let you know how I felt. And yes when you were dead again I was pissed. But not at you. I was mad at life at time." She stopped looking at him. "I'll even admit when you told me why you had stayed away I got a little angry. But I love you I really do and with that comes a whole lot of forgiveness." She gave him a slight smile.

The sound of a snapping twig drew both of their attentions. Their heads turning in unison to the area to the right of them. Buffy noticed it then her spidey sense was going haywire. Usually she would be able to tell how many vamps were in an area separating their individual signatures. She could isolate the warm comforting tingle that she always recognized as Spikes and shoved that feeling aside. Now however she couldn't get enough focus to determine how large a crowd was gathering here. That worried her. She had fine-tuned the sense and knew that she could easily distinguish between seven or eight vamps. It all meant that this group was a whole lot bigger than that.

Spike sensed the unease in her stance and he knew that he was about to get into something not at all pleasant. He could make out some of the vamps as they skirted the edge of his vision. Still a little way off then. As the figures gathered he counted silently and he could make out at least eight of them forming in a circle around them.

They only had time to turn and press their backs together as suddenly the first group of vamps started their attack. Luckily for the two of them this group seemed to be mostly fledglings maybe a few minions mixed in. The both of them were all fists and feet.

Buffy took out the first two with a minimal amount of effort. Two punches to the face and a fluid movement sent a dust cloud around her. A kick to the head and one to the gut followed by the stake coming up as the vamp doubled over took care of the second. The third managed to get a punch in to her head. Knocking her back and away from her defensible position with Spike. As she ducked the bloodsucker’s next punch she felt her fourth vamp jump on her back. She turned quickly managing to throw it off of her and into the nearest head stone knocking it unconscious. She kicked the third one this time sending it spinning. A fifth one sent his own foot right into her stomach he followed it with a sharp right hook into her jaw. Staggering back she regained her footing. The vamp took the opportunity to come charging for her. She used its momentum to throw him back into the monument that she and Spike had been leaning on. The third vamp came back towards her and she threw three quick punches at it making it fumble backwards. Seizing the weakness she drove the stake home. Just in time to feel a kick to the kidneys from another vamp. Bringing its leg up for a second kick Buffy tucked and rolled underneath it coming back up to where the third vamp had been watching. While it looked on in surprise she swung the stake again.

Spike was looking forward to this. He hadn't had a decent fight since he had come back considering the outcome of his fight with the demons that morning. Had it only been earlier today? So much had happened in such a short amount of time.

He watched as four of them began to form a semi circle around him. They let two others slip through them when they were close enough he let his fists do a little introduction. A quick jab to the first, followed by a right to the second vamp gave him an opening. He sent two punches to the nose into the first followed by a kick in the gut to the second. As the first one came back for him he sidestepped and plunged the stake home. He grabbed the second by the head and pulled it into his knee thrusting the stake into his back. Now his back no longer against Buffy's the four waiting vamps close in on him. He rubbed his hands in anticipation. Not stopping to concentrate on his moves he let his body dictate the actions he needed. He banged the heads of the next two together stunning them and he tossed them back into the other two. One dodged and came up next to him. He punched it in the head and followed it with a second punch to his jaw. He kicked hard into its solar plexus sending it back into the other three. Quickly he jumped on him and seemed to pin the rest of them down. Thrusting his stake he dusted the one on top and managed to get the one directly underneath before they could struggle to throw him off. The remaining two knocked him to the ground. As they stood above him he kicked out and sent one of them flying into a nearby crypt while managing to grab the leg of the other one brining it to the ground. Rolling he brought himself up and sent his stake into its chest. His fourth vamp flung itself at him and this time he ducked waiting for it to pass as it did he brought the stake up and was covered in dust. Now he could make out two more of them coming closer to where Buffy was just finishing up her last vamp.

She set her feet preparing to finish off her sixth vamp. As she finished her swing she could see two more vamps making their way towards her. She could tell these two were different than the younger ones they had been fighting. These guys had some years in them not master vamps by any means but not inexperienced like the fledglings. Suddenly wary she let her eyes drift for a moment locating Spike. With relief she saw him make his way towards her and the approaching two.

Both vamps then quickly split and each started to advance one on one. As they got closer Buffy noticed that her vamp had an ax gripped in his hand. He broke into a run and swung the ax she jumped back as it crossed in front of her chest. She ducked and dodged his swings each coming faster and faster. Finally on as the vamp followed through a swing bringing the ax up above his head she managed to sink a hit into his face. The vamp didn't seem fazed and again started to bring the weapon to strike her.

Spike fought with the more mature vamp toying with it just a little. His strength was far superior to this adolescent and he held back the first few of his punches to prolong the fight. He was enjoying himself until the bastard got in a lucky kick to his head and sent him reeling backwards to the ground. Now he was pissed. Jumping to his feet he swung striking the vamp in jaw sending it back and to the right. He gave it a roundhouse kick and the youngster fell back against a headstone. The break gave him time to look at where Buffy was fighting the ax wielder. He noticed that she was still holding her own and smiled. That was his girl. He had made his way to the fallen vamp and he sat on his chest. He let punches rain down on its face blow after blow sounding through the night.

She had gotten a few good shots now at her current attacker. He was starting to slow now the movements with the ax not so precise. She was able to dodge them and strike out at it in between. She saw Spike out of the corner of her eye sitting on the vamps chest beating the hell out of its face.

"Spike keep yours alive I want to ask him some questions!" She shouted as she ducked the next swing.

Hearing her voice he looked up he saw her punch the vamp in the face. Something moved behind her and caught his attention.

"BUFFY!"

Her head turned at the alarm in his voice to late to make any move as the previously unconscious vamp used a forgotten board as a club and struck her in the head. The blow distracted her and she had no time to react as the ax was sunk deep in her stomach.

He was up off of his vamp running before the board had struck her. He drew back his stake and struck the ax vamp as he buried the weapon in her stomach.

"NO!" he watched as she slowly began to sink to her knees. The fledgling behind her began to swing the board at her and Spike let loose a deep growl throwing himself at the vamp. He made a grab for its head and wrenched fountains of anger fueling his strength. Its head came clean off and it exploded into dust.

Turning he saw her still on her knees breathes coming irregular and shallow. He felt his heart twist as on of her small hands curled around the handle of the ax and gave it a good yank. She sent it flying into the night letting out a painful groan. He was there at her side dropping to his own knees, hands going around her shoulders. He could see the blood gushing from the open wound.

"Buffy." her name came out as tortured whisper.