Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks cordykitten gallilee and Midnightgirl for th ereviews.
Willow sat her eyes glazing over as she stared at the computer screen, hours of searching producing nothing but eyestrain. Lazily she twirled her finger over the touch pad bringing up another hopeless link. She didn't know why she was continuing with this fruitless endeavor. Another click and yet another fantasy fiction site popped onto the screen making her sigh. There was no way they were going to find anything useful like this there was something they were missing but for the life of her she didn't know what it was.

As the hours passed since the blond duo had left the house it had become silent with only the sound of pages turning and the clicking of her key board echoing around them. No one had found anything and it was starting to grate on them. They were used to finding out about whatever they were facing quickly and being able to tackle it head on, well most of the time. There were always exceptions and they made each of them nervous. Any time it was this hard to find information was never a good sign and the amount of tension filling the little house was growing by the second.

The only break in the monotony had been when Faith and Wood had returned home. After hearing what had transpired in her absence the brunette had decided she could be useful assisting the other two who had already left. Claiming that he was tired and making short excuses her new husband had retreated to their room upstairs.

The other males were still sitting on the couch books piled near them. It hadn't helped that they were still waiting for the other slayers to arrive. Glancing up she could see the lines of worry marring Giles' brow. Glancing at Xander didn't fill her with confidence either when she saw the frown on his face. This was so bad.

The ringing of the doorbell made them all jump in surprise and Willow felt a small gasp leave her throat.

Regaining his composure Giles brushed at the wrinkles in his clothes and made his way to answer the door. He opened it slowly.

*********

"Have you finished what I have asked?"

"Yes master we have sent the message as you requested."

"Good. And our plans for tomorrow?"

"It is all in place we await your instructions."

"You have served me well. I believe there will be a special reward for you come tomorrow."

"You are too kind master." The minion bowed his head to this all-powerful being.

"Go. There is much to do before the next night fall."

Alone again the man grinned to himself. It wouldn't be long at all now. Just a few short hours and the world would be Slayer free. The thought filled him with a sort of happiness. The time was drawing near for them to over run this stupid little planet and feel the power that was rightfully theirs.

********

Faith knew that it would probably been a better idea just to head straight back to the house like she had intended to do instead of taking this small little detour. But it had been days since she had had the chance to go patrolling and the few kills she had managed to get in at the bar had only whetted her appetite for a good slay. Besides Robin would appreciate her knew found mood when she came back to their room.

The thought produced a familiar smirk on her face. Oh yeah not many things have changed for her over the last few years and yet a lot had. Who'd have thought she would be Mrs. Robin Wood happy little white hat homemaker. She chuckled to herself. It was true slayers did need something to be happy about and B was dead on once again. Best not to let her know that though, didn’t want the girls head to get all swollen like.

So lost in her thoughts Faith had let her attention wander from her surroundings which of course was not a good thing. She failed to listen to that little tingle at the base of her spine or the sound of a heavy foot crunching the gravel of the path behind her. Which meant that she didn't have the best position when she finally noticed the handful of demons that were pinning her in.

She shrugged mentally knowing that the work out she had been counting on was going to be a bit more involved than she had planned.

Not giving herself time to dwell on her knew found position she struck out first arms and legs moving fluidly with years of practice and grace. The hits came fast and brutal one right after another. Using the area around her to her benefit she swung around the nearby tree and used the tombstones as weapons. But somehow she knew it wasn't enough. There wasn't being enough damage to stop the persistent force around her and soon she began to feel the tiredness in her limbs. This was not good and she knew it. She scanned the area looking for a way for her to set up a retreat not finding many solutions. Ducking and weaving she pulled on her reserves of energy letting her legs surge forward.

Too late she felt the large hand hit the back of her head throwing her headfirst into a large piece of marble sticking up out of the ground. As her head hit with a sickening thud and the burst of white-hot pain flooded her vision all she could think was damn.

*********

They hadn't really spoken since they had left the alley and started back in the car. For some reason words didn't really seem necessary between them. The occasional longing glance and small touch of each other’s hands had brought small sighs of contentment to the both of them.

It was the most remarkable feeling to Buffy. She had never imagined herself so happy and complete. Of course part of it could have been the fact that she could now feel the emotional ties that linked the two of them together. Yeah that might have something to do with it, she could feel so much love pouring back to her through that brand new bond and knew he could feel the same. For once all the doubt they both had ever felt about the other and their own feelings had been wiped away. They were able to really see each other and know that the other was with them unconditionally. She reveled in the sheer joy clasped close to her heart and would have remained that way except for the sight that greeted their return.

There were police cruisers everywhere and to her utter shock not only was there an ambulance sitting in front but an unmistakable long dark car marked coroner.

She was out of the car before Spike could bring it to a full stop running for the front door. An arm reached out to grab her, as she was halfway up the walk.

"Miss you can't-"

But she was already free running in the front door barely aware of the fact that he was right behind her.

She took in the sight of the living room slowly processing all the information. Robin was talking to what looked like a detective on the far side of the room. Giles was near the hallway also talking to another officer. Xander and Willow were on the couch and he was holding her as tears fell against his chest.

"What happened?" She felt rather than saw Spike step inside as he slid his arm around her waist.

Giles looked up than and Buffy noticed that his normally warm blue eyes had taken on a cold hardness. She could see the recognition alter them as he looked on her and watched as they softened.

"Buffy, Spike your back."

"I'll contact you if we need anything further Mr. Giles. Please take my card and if you can think of anything please give me a call." The officer handed the card to Giles.

"Of course Officer any thing we can do to assist you."

The two cops seemed to nod to each other and left the house closing the door behind them.

"Giles?"

"We're fine Buffy. Let me make you some tea and I'll tell you what happened. Why don't you two get into some dry clothes in the meantime."

She nodded numbly and started for the guest room.

*********

Ten minutes later both she and Spike were changed each holding a warm mug. Willow's tears had finally come to a stop and Xander and Wood were over to the side talking quietly to each other.

"Tell me what happened Giles why were the police here?"

"I'm afraid that our attempt to protect the other local slayers has failed."

"How many?"

"The other two local girls and one other I did not recognize." And they listened intently as he began to explain.

********

As he opened the door the first thing he noticed was the over powering scent of blood that assaulted him. Looking out straight he didn't see anything and quickly scanned the yard in front him. He didn't see anything amiss but of course that rarely meant anything anymore. Too many years living and breathing a hellmouth made you question everything you saw. His eyes finally traveled downwards looking towards the space where a welcome mat would grace a porch if you weren't living somewhere that you didn't welcome things into your home.

The sight before him caused his gag reflex to kick into high gear and he barely managed to push the bile back down his throat. There were three of them there, clothes or what was left of their clothing was blood red their bodies lying all-akimbo on top of each other. He could, even in the darkness outside, make out that certain body parts were missing and others were mutilated. Unfortunately he could make out their faces, which had been left untouched and recognized the two local slayers Faith had trained.

He closed his eyes fighting the urge to just slam the door shut blocking out the sight. Forcing himself to look with the cool detachment given to him with his watcher training he took in the sight looking for details. The upper most girl the one least blocked from his view had her torso completely exposed the white flesh in stark contrast to the dark blood that was streaking most of it. He could make out where two of her fingers were pulled from her hands, the deep gashes that went up her arms and legs and the deep cut across her throat. And there in her white flesh written with what would have only been a sharp knife were words.

Times up Slayer.

"Dear Lord." he finally let himself look away from the sight his body sagging into the doorframe.

He felt as Xander pulled the door away from his hands and heard the horrified gasp from Willow and her hurried footsteps as she ran to the lower bathroom. He turned to look at the younger man who had pivoted away from the gruesome sight.

"Call the police."

********

She looked at him at a loss for words. This was impossible they needed to get answers and they needed to get them now. Too many have died already and she would be damned if one more person died. She was tired of this she wasn't going to sit here and wait any more. It was time to take action. She looked at Spike.

"Get a weapon we're going back out." The cold steel in her voice guaranteed that there would be no argument from anyone in the room.

"Should we come with you?" The question had come from Xander and Buffy was grateful of his quiet support.

"No I want you guys to stay here make a few phone calls and check up on the others."

"What about Faith?" Buffy turned her head in surprise to Wood.

"Didn't she meet you here?"

"She was supposed to be with you."

"She was but when we finished she said she was heading straight here."

"That's not good is it?" Willow asked.

"Dammit. Come on Spike maybe we can find her."

"I'm coming too." Buffy looked at Wood in earnest.

"Alright. Lets go."