Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews and the patience while I was away.
The faint sound of the doorbell was enough to stir Buffy from the light slumber she had allowed herself. She took another half second revelling in the feel of his embrace before she moved. Walking away she grabbed her clothes to get dressed as a light tap came from the door.

"Buffy?"

"I'm up Wills be out in a sec." She called softly looking over at Spike as she fastened her jeans.

Blue eyes gazed at her thoughtfully.

"Coming?"

Minutes later they were both dressed and once again standing in the living room. Buffy looked at Wood and noticed how exhausted he appeared. Probably didn't get much rest and she couldn't blame him. Her gaze fixed on the tall quiet figure in the center of the room. Angel didn't look like he had gotten any rest either and she could swear he was broodier than normal, which would be quite a feat. She also didn't fail to recognize the open hostility her ex was showing towards Giles. There was something going on there but was at a loss as to what it was.

She walked over to him opening her arms in a welcoming gesture and hugged him. It was a friendly hug no overt gestures from either party so it was a little suprising to hear the low growl come from the corner of the room. Buffy turned to Spike her eyebrow raised in a silent question. He gave her a noncommital shrug.

"It's good to see you Angel."

"You too Buffy." His eyes narrowed and raked over her critically. "So you're cookies already? You didn't spend a lot of time in the oven."

She felt the curious stares focus on the two of them.

"Um guys could you excuse us for a minute?" Buffy turned and headed towards the kitchen. She spun around as she entered the room looking at the two males. She watched as Angel grabbed Spike by the arm.

"You claimed her?" There was a hint of disappointment in his voice.

Spike yanked his arm away from the taller vamp his eyes flashing yellow for a moment.

"Don't play dumb with me you big poof. You knew the second it happened."

"You knew? How?" Her arms were folded over her chest waiting for an answer.

He looked the blonde pair up and down seeing the glare from Spike and the tension radiating off of Buffy. Then he did something he rarely did, Angel sighed.

"I didn't know for sure."

"How?" She asked again.

"Familial bond pet. Peaches and I aren't close anymore but he can feel it when someone joins the family. Specially someone as strong as you."

"But you weren't sure until now. What changed?"

"I figured it out when I stepped into the house." Angel tapped his nose gently.

"You mean? Oh that is still gross and did I mention ewww?" Her nose scrunched up in distaste.

"How could you do this? How could you let yourself be claimed by William the Bloody?" His turn on her shocked her momentarily making her forget that she had wanted to spare his feelings.

"I didn't let myself..." The hard edge to her words cutting him down. "This was a mutual thing Angel or don't you get that. I love Spike. Period. End of discussion on the subject."

"But Captain Peroxide? The Bleached Wonder? You love him?" His tone was incredulous unable to believe the simple fact.

Angel's attention was focused on the little blonde woman in front of him and he failed to notice the way Spike's hands had curled into tight fists by his side.

"Is this the part where you try to tell me he's evil, he can't be trusted and the second I turn my back he'll turn on me? Save it. I had enough of that years ago." She gave Angel a hard glare. "He is a good man. A man with a demon yes but he controls it. In fact he was a good man before he went and got his soul back. Not many around here that can say that."

His head hung at her strong words.

"Look Angel I know this hurts you and I'm sorry. I really am. I should have been able to tell you when you came to Sunnydale but I didn't have the words then. I do now. I love him." Her voice held a plea of understanding.

Spike was pissed. Actually he was passed pissed and was steadily making his way to furious. How had Angel gone from complete understanding in L.A. to being the stubborn git he was here? It didn't make a bit of sense and for once he was glad that Buffy had taken control of the conversation. All he wanted to do now was pummel the bastard.

Angel looked back and forth between the determined face of the woman he loved to the angry glint in his grande childe's eyes. He was confused. Buffy actually loving Spike had never crossed his mind. Sure she had said that he was in her heart but so were her other friends and that didn't equal love. She cared and he got that, he really did. But loving him? It wasn't possible in his mind. Yet truth be told Cordelia had been right about him. The love he thought he had felt for Buffy had shifted and changed over the years. Where before his whole world had centered on her, now she was just out on the sidelines still there but not vital. It wasn't the undying love he had thought.

"The Buffy I knew would never have fallen in love with him." He mumbled.

There it was then. She had known that he had always considered her something to be placed on a pedastal, someone who was above every thing and was innocent and pure. It was frustrating that he hadn't changed his view, learned that she had grown, that she too had changed as the years had passed.

"I haven't been that Buffy for a long time Angel."

"I don't know if that's a good thing."

That was it. He'd finally driven him over that line drawn in the sand. Past the point where his control slipped and his demon demanded blood. No one, not even the Poofter was ever going to say anything negative to his mate. She was his, just as he was hers.

Faster than a blink Spike had him by the throat, backed against the kitchen counter. He let a low rumbling growl echo through the room.

A gentle hand on his arm stopped him from using his strength to crush the neck in his grasp. He looked questioningly at her.

"It's alright Spike." Her voice was warm and gentle.

He didn't let go and he refused to back away from the asshole. He was lucky that the woman was so forgiving. He was sure that he wasn't.

"We really don't have time for this Angel. What exactly is wrong with you?"

Angel tried to suck in a little air so he could make his vocal cords work. It wasn't that easy considering the amount of pressure that was coming from Spike's hand.

"I don't know."

Disgusted Spike dropped his hold and took a few steps back.

"Cheerleader was right wasn't she? Jealous much?" Spike leered his tongue curled behind his teeth.

His glare at the platinum blonde didn't go unnoticed by Buffy.

"Are we back to that again?" She shook her head, disgusted by the immature vamps. "You know it's hard to believe how old the two of you really are. How is it that I'm the only adult in this room?" She turned and smiled at her mate. "Spike could you give us a minute?"

The hurt flashed in his eyes quickly before being hidden by the false bravado he carried around. She smiled reassuringly at him.

"It's okay Spike." She reached up and kissed his cheek tenderly.

Spike nodded, sensing her love through their bond and gaining confidence through the feeling. "Alright luv. Gonna go talk to your watcher see what he's dug up."

When he had left she returned her glare at Angel.

"So you want to explain the caveman act or are you just gonna club me over the head?"

"You really love him?"

"Yes."

"And you returned the claim?"

"Yes."

At her simple word his whole demeanour changed and he slumped against the counter. It was probably the only thing holding him up.

"Angel I know this is hard for you. But I know that this is what's right for me. I've never felt as complete as I do right now and I wouldn't change it for the world."

His eyes met hers as he tried to gauge her feelings. It was there he could see it, the light that danced in her hazel depths. The happiness she never had with him.

"I'm sorry Buffy. You're happy and that's what matters." He smiled sadly.

"You do mean that don't you? Cause really I don't have the energy to keep the two of you seperated for long."

"I mean it. Doesn't mean I like it a whole lot, but you're right he has changed and even if I don't think he deserves you, he's what you want."

She gave a disdainful snort. "He does. He's gone through a lot Angel. Any other man or demon for that matter would have broken years ago if they had even faced a tiny scrap of what he did. He pushed through it and became the man no one thought he could be. I don't deserve him." With that she turned and walked to join the others.

******

"There wasn't very much written about the ritual that I could find. The only mentions of it are vague and open to interpetation. I'm afraid we don't have much time however. The book mentions something about the alignment of certain planets."

"And that would be when?" Wood's voice was frayed from worry and exhaustion.

"Tomorrow at the latest." Giles was pinching the bridge of his nose.

"So we have like one night to figure all this out, find the bad guys, rescue Faith, and stop whatever this thing is from ending the world? Seems like old times. Too bad I didn't miss them."

"Unfortunately you are quite correct Xander." Giles groaned. "Please tell me I didn't just say that."

"Can't take it back now G-man."

"What about locations Wills?" She finished walking into the room and leaned against her vampire.

His arms circled her appreciatively as he watched the Poof shuffle into the room.

"There were a lot of places. I tried narrowing them down but since most are in a deserted area of the city there wasn't much to go on. Oh but I did find out that there have been a rash of neck injuries in just the last two months and maulings by wild animals are up too. Most of the attacks were near that part of town. So they have to be there somewhere right?"

"So what's the plan Buff?"

"We need to get going now. There's not enough time for us to figure this out." She looked at the clock on the wall noting that the sun wouldn't be setting for a long while. "Xander, Giles you guys are with me. Wills see if doing a locator spell will help but I have a feeling they might have it sheilded, and see if you can pull up the blue prints for those buildings. Wood I want you to stay here with Spike and Angel. You guys can join us as soon as we figure out exactly where they are and how many of them we're up against."

She could feel Spike start to tense as if he was getting ready to protest the idea.

"You guys have to stay here sun's still out. In the meantime look over what Giles has found. See if maybe there's something us humans are missing concerning the ritual. Alright let's get going."