Chapter 2

The room was black with a still figure lying in the bed in the center. As the phone starts ringing the figure starts to stir reaching out blindly for the nightstand. Her hand caught the receiver and dragged it to her ear.

"Uhh hello?" the words were muffled with sleep.

"B its me." Buffy's eyes shot open at the nickname.

"Faith? What is something wrong?" Her voice rose in panic.

"No. No nothing like that. The hellmouth is still closed and Cleveland is still in one piece."

"Ohhh then why...." she glanced at the glowing green numbers on the nightstand "are you calling me at two a.m.?"

"Buffy..." she heard a dry sigh "can you come to Cleveland?"

"I thought you said there's nothing wrong. Besides you know that I'm retired now."

"No there isn't anything wrong really. I just want you to come to Cleveland and." there was a break in her voice "be my bridesmaid."

"Wha?" came the confused reply.

"Robin asked me to marry him and I said yes. We want to go ahead and do it this Saturday. Can you come?"

"Get out!" Buffy couldn't believe the thought of the rogue slayer actually getting married and settling down with anyone.

"Straight up B." She heard her take a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Look B I know you don't really want to see any of us and I understand that I really get it you know. But you are the closest thing I have to a family as twisted as that sounds. I just want you to be a part of this." Buffy could hear the strain in the other slayer's voice. "So will you come?"

"When you put it that way Faith how can I not. Of course I'll come." She said the last with a resignated sigh.

"This means a lot to me you know? So as soon as you know when you'll be arriving call and I'll come and pick you up."

"I will and Faith..." Buffy paused "congratulations."

"Thanks B."

********

"NO BLOODY WAY!!" Spike roared. He grabbed a vase off the nearest table and throws it against the wall where it shatters into a thousand pieces. He began pacing at a furious pace.

"Spike do you mind?" Angel asked rubbing his temples.

"There is no way I'm going to go there. The fucking Powers that Meddle can't let a man enjoy his deserved torture in a hell dimension. Got to pull him out, make him their little messenger boy. Well fuck them!"

"So what you’re just going to ignore all of this?"

Spike stopped pacing and took a deep look at the older vampire.

"I don't know if I can do this." he was quieter now as the anger left his body. He ran a hand over his face. "She basically saw me die again and I'm just supposed to pop up and give her a message? Bloody ridiculous." He gave Angel a smirk. "You go. Give you something interesting to do. She might beat on you for awhile but she's used to your cryptic messages."

Angel roared and grabbed Spike by the lapels of his beaten duster.

"Are you stupid?" He paused looking into the blue eyes. "Wait a minute... yeah you are. Look...” he relaxed his grip on the blonde. "Don't you get it? This is your chance to finally put things right between the two of you."

Spike knocks his hands away from him. "You think I don't know that you ponce! That isn't the problem." He sat in the nearest chair.

"So then tell me what is." Angel said gently taking a seat next to him.

"Peaches I don't know what it is, that’s the problem." Spike threw his hands up in the air. "You're such a bloody expert you tell me."

"Look Spike I don't know what happened between the two of you. I mean I know what she told me before the fight with the First and just what you've alluded to since you've been here. I figure a whole lot that's been left out. But that's the past whatever it is sooner or later you’re going to have to face it. What we're talking about here is the future." His gaze softened on Spike. "Do you still love her?"

"Of course I still love her I'll always love her." Spike gave Angel a look of utter hopelessness. "Don't you think parts of me are screaming for me to go to her? Like they have been since I came to LA? Doesn't mean it’s not wrong. Yes, I love her. But what good am I to her? I can't give her what she needs, the stability she craves, and the light she needs in her life. So I got a soul, I'm still just a vampire." He buried his face in his hands.

"No, that was my reasoning. What I told you when you first wanted to go to Europe to see her. You don't believe a word of that." Angel shook his head.

"I didn't at first mate. See, thing about having this shiny soul is it gives me lots of time to think. And every one of those things makes a whole lot of sense." He stood again beginning to pace.

"Bull. Spike your hiding behind my reasoning which I have to admit is kind of scary." Glancing at the man, he pointed. "So tell me what the hell has you so scared that you hide behind me of all people. You hate me remember?"

Angel's sharp words caused Spike to flinch. His pacing slowed and then stopped. He let his head drop to his chest eyes averted.

"I'm terrified that nothing is going to change. What if..." he sighed heavily. "I mean I don't believe she meant what she said that day but what if that was all she could give me? That little false hope to make me feel better before I went all dusty?" He shook his head sadly "I don't think I could take it day in and day out for God knows how long torturing myself being near her."

Angel leaned back into his chair. "You are an idiot," he said wonder creeping into his voice.

"Thanks a lot mate."

"Can't you see what all this might mean?" Spike lifted his head to gaze at him. "That she could actually have feelings for you?" He gave the vamp a once over with his eyes. "I don't see what she sees in you at all."

"What is with you anyway? All of a sudden acting like you’re my best friend. Why the hell do you even care?"

"Dammit cause if she has any chance at all of being happy then she deserves it." Angel stood suddenly knocking his chair over onto the floor with a crash. "Don't you think that I would want something better for her? I wanted her to have a normal life in case you don't remember it was why I left in the first place. You haven't cornered the market on loving her you know. But she's never going to have a normal life. Doesn't matter how many other slayers there are or how much she craves it. The PTB pretty much just spelled it out for us she isn't done with her calling and she never will be. Jeez she can't even die to get out of it. So if she really has a chance to be happy..." he got a really disgusted look on his face "Even if it is with you, at least she is happy."

He glared at the brunette and slowly a look of realization changed his features. Suddenly it seemed as if his blue eyes lite up.

"I can't believe I'm going to say this...."He rolled his eyes. "You’re right." He mumbled it but the other vamp heard him clearly.

"First intelligent thing you've said in over a hundred years." A smirk graced his lips.

"Bloody poofter."