Chapter 6

These demons were different from any Buffy had dealt with before. Larger than the average maybe standing seven feet tall and their skin was a pale gray with red vein like streaks covering them. All three of them seemed to be moving in a weird synchronization. On their faces where eyes should have been was just a thin slit that seemed to glow with an angry green light. The nearest one was holding an axe, the other two were devoid of weapons but somehow Buffy didn't think that would hinder them very much.

Buffy felt that familiar odd combination of fear and excitement as she let the slayer in her take over.

"God rude much?" she asked them loudly. She moved to stand by the opposite side of the bed. She searched the room trying to scout the best way to take them. She heard a low growl next to her as she watched Spike slowly take to his feet. The room itself was too tiny for a decent fight to take place and Buffy knew that hand-to-hand fighting against the ax-wielding demon wasn't going to be very easy in such cramped quarters. Thinking quickly, she started to back against the far wall trying to give herself enough room to make her move.

"Well since you're here.... what the hell do you want?"

The lead creature raised a thick finger at her. "Slayer," it rasped.

"Less than twenty four hours and people already know I'm here. I'm touched. Look Spike, my own welcoming committee."

Spike doubted that these guys were just going to leave if he asked them politely and to tell the truth he was kind of glad they weren't. That was a bloody great kiss they had interrupted and now he was brassed off. A slow evil smirk spread across his lips.

"Damn considerate if you ask me pet. Why don't we thank them properly?" Spike caught her nod out of the corner of his eye not letting the demon trio out of his sight for a second.

At her nod, both moved with a fluid grace. Buffy vaulted over the bed tucking into a roll going between the first and third demon and making it to the far side of the room. Using her momentum she slid out of the broken doorway and into the hall. The action grabbed the attention of the Lizzie Borden want-to-be and he moved towards her. In an instant she was all fists and fury, her blows striking him about the face and a roundhouse kick catching him in the chest.

He hadn't even watched her as she landed across the room from him as he was already on the second demon. It snarled at him and Spike launched a fist at it. Connecting squarely with its jaw the demon didn't even flinch. He turned and with his other hand punched the demon in the gut. Not even the barest shiver ran through the other creature. Barely moving, the demon's own punch sent him flying into the wall. Plaster broke all around him. Quickly getting to his feet Spike charged at the thing, using his speed to tackle it. To him it was like running into a brick wall and he was knocked to the floor with the impact. Gaining his footing once again, he stood and as he did so, the demon reached out and picked him off of the floor by the throat.

Buffy's kick caused the ax man to double over letting her deliver a crushing right hook to his chin or what she thought would be a chin on it. It fell away just in time for the third one to propel itself towards her. Now out in the roomier hall she ducked and tilted letting the creature pass. Snarling, it whirled around fist punching at the air seconds from where her head had been. Rolling backwards, she grabbed the ax from the other demon struggling to its feet. "Thanks."

Bringing his feet up close to his body and trying to ignore the growing pressure on his neck Spike used all of his coiled strength to kick out. It was just enough for the grip on his neck to break off and he fell to the floor. Getting up quickly he backed away trying to figure out what was going to stop this thing. Thinking that maybe Buffy had the right idea, he tried to vault himself over the bed. The demon wasn't fooled and managed to grab his ankle. Tugging and swinging him in a vicious arc Spike crashed into the dresser and TV, knocking it over to fall on top of him as he hit the floor.

Testing the weight of the ax in her hand Buffy watched the standing demon tense, gathering itself to strike. Without blinking, she threw the ax watching it twirl in the air its short flight interrupted by the head of said demon. Its lifeless body fell to the floor. She noticed that the ax wielder was now back inside of her room. Walking over to the other one, she stepped on it using her foot for leverage to pull the now blue ax out. Quickly she walked back into the room.

Spike hurt in a lot of places he wished he didn't have right then. Blinking blood out of one eye, he saw the offending demon reaching for the toppled TV. He watched as it raised the telly over its head. Not knowing how, he rolled himself away inches from where the thing smashed to the ground. He could tell he was closer to the door now. Hurrying to his feet, he stopped as the other demon in front of him held the stake that Buffy had dropped the night before. He tried to back up but ran into the solid body of the identical creature. A step closer and said demon was raising the stake upward.

"SPIKE!"

Buffy's eyes widened as she came hurrying through the door. Taking in the scene before her panic gripped her insides and she felt her hands moving on their own.

The downward thrust of the stake was pushed forward to his surprise and intense pain, it lodged itself securely in his sternum just below his heart. Suddenly the solid wall that was behind him was gone and he toppled backwards flat on his back. Unfortunately, the other demon was also surrendering to the pull of gravity, the ax lodged in the back of its head. Spike closed his eyes tight against the coming impact. When a second passed and he still felt nothing he slowly opened one eye at a time. There she was all sunlight and fresh air grunting as she swung the demon to his side by the arms. It fell to the floor with a loud thump. He looked her over seeing only one or two hairs out of place. She was so gorgeous and filled with deadly grace; made a vamp almost forget the annoying peace of wood sticking out of his chest.

She quickly kneeled next to him concern all over her face. Touching his face softly, she gazed into his eyes.

"Are you alright?" her voice was nervously hesitant.

"Well if you want to know the truth luv, this hurts like a son of a bitch." His eyes softened to hers. "You’re going to have to pull it out." She flinched a little at his words but nodded her head in agreement.

Reaching out she grasped the spilled contents of her overnight bag grabbing her nightshirt. Using her strength, she tore three long strips from it and folded the rest into a small square. Turning so that she was directly over his chest, she took a nervous breath.

"Ready?"

"Yeah, do it fast pet."

One hand on the offending stake and the other next to it holding the folded cloth she pulled quickly. She heard his pained gasp and grimaced forcing herself to hold the material over the gaping wound. Throwing the blood soaked wood behind her; she used her free hand to lift his shoulders. Sticking her leg under them slightly propping him up she took one of the strips and slid it underneath him tying it tightly over the wound. She took the second strip and did the same making sure the make shift bandage would stay in place. Finished she lifted his upper body again and slid her leg from underneath him. Tucking it back underneath her, she reached out with the third strip and started cleaning the cut above his right eye.

"Spike we're going to have to get out of here. Its not safe." She looked again at the wound in his chest. "Is it...”

"Gonna heal, yeah luv, just hurts a whole hell of a lot."

She nodded at him again and started throwing the spilled contents of her bag back in. "I can pull a car to the side door, the back windows are tinted." Her gaze flicked across the room. "We can use the comforter to cover you."

"We'll use mine. 's got special glass in it. Keeps me from turning into a roman candle. Keys are in my duster pocket." He watched as she rushed around the room gathering what little she had with her and stuffing it into the bag. Grabbing her purse she threw the strap over her shoulder and reached for his duster. Pulling out a set of keys she looked back over at him.

"Which one is it?"

"Just hit the open button it will beep at you." He breathed out.

"I'll be back in a second." She turned and slipped out the door. He could hear her pounding footsteps fade and a door slam shut.

He tried to maneuver himself to a sitting position and grimaced at the pain. He didn't want to think about how close this latest attempted staking had been. The shock of watching that stake as it came towards him reminding him of the battle in that alleyway. Way too close of a call. He shuddered at the thought of turning into something for a dust buster again.

Buffy was back in the doorway in just a few seconds and was glad to see Spike sitting up. She was going to need his help to get him to the car. Grabbing the comforter from the bed, she extended a free hand to him to pull him up. Using a slow steady pull, she managed to get him leaning towards her. Once he was steady, she draped the bedspread over his head. Circling her arm around his waist, she began to lead him from the room. They walked as briskly as possible down the few hundred feet of the hallway turning to the right Buffy pushed on the door blinking in the sunlight. Pulling him through the door, she pushed him into the open passenger side. Making sure the door was firmly shut she walked around the front of the car and got in the driver's side. Closing the door, she watched as he pulled the comforter off his head. At his nod she put the car in gear and drove away.