Chapter 7

She reached over him for her purse, eyes never leaving the road she rummaged around until she triumphantly pulled out her cell phone. Hitting the auto dial she listened as it began to ring.

"Hello?"

"Faith I'm gonna need directions to your place." She blurted out.

"Everything cool?"

"Just the usual uninvited guests; kind of trashed my hotel room."

She could hear a slight chuckle on the other end. Buffy concentrated as Faith gave her the detailed instructions to get to the house she and Robin rented.

"Okay I got it." Buffy sighed slightly into the phone. "I know this is kind of an imposition considering the day but I kind of have a guest."

"B you pick up someone at the hotel?" She heard her snicker. "Takin' a page out of my book?"

Buffy groaned. "Faith... look you'll get it when we get there. But I have one more favor to ask."

"Shoot B."

"Do you know someplace where I could pick up some blood?" Buffy bit her bottom lip hoping that she wouldn't have to answer any questions now.

"I'll get someone to take care of it B. Why don't you just hightail it this way? We got a lot to do today and something tells me not all of it is about my wedding."

"Thanks Faith." She hit the button on the phone. Slowly letting out a pent up breath her eyes finally traveled to the vampire next to her. She noticed he sat rigid almost, head against the headrest, eyes closed. He looked pale, well paler than normal she noticed.

"Spike?" she asked him quietly.

His eyes opened blinked twice and he turned to look at her. "Yeah luv." he breathed.

"You alright?" Her voice started to tremble.

"Right as rain pet. Just need a little time to heal. Think the bleedin' stopped already." He gazed at her while she stared at the road in front of her. "Are you okay?" He watched her nod in agreement her hands tightening on the wheel. "How far we got to go?"

"Not too far, about fifteen minutes."

"Then I'm gonna close my eyes for a couple of minutes get a little rest." He settled his head back and let his eyes slip shut.
Relaxing a little, he suddenly felt her warm hand on his knee. Before he had time to react, he felt her give him a small squeeze and just as suddenly, the hand was gone. He concentrated on the hum of the engine letting it sooth his shattered nerves.

Buffy wondered how a morning so full of promise could crumble around her so quickly. Damn demons didn't they know when to leave well enough alone. She shook her head knowing that this was just typical of her short but eventful life. At least she had been with Spike. He understood all of this madness. It was good fighting along side him again; she had always enjoyed watching him beat an opponent. Although that wasn't what had happened today. She shuddered at the memory of watching the stake descending towards him. Too close. If she had been a second slower, if she hadn't just reacted and stopped to think he could be gone now. Not a thought she wanted to be entertaining right at this minute. She concentrated harder on driving them to their destination. If she didn't think about it she didn't have to face how she felt now. And that was definitely of the bad.

The rest of the trip passed quickly as Buffy saw the row of small houses dotting the street. As she pulled up to a beige two story home she reached out and took his hand in hers.

Rubbing his palm with her thumb, she stopped the car. Feeling her light touch, his eyes opened slowly.

"I'll go and make sure that Faith is close by so she can give you an invite. Don't want to tempt fate with you standing out here waiting." She smiled tightly.

"Go on luv, I'll wait right here."

She opened her door careful to make sure no stray light met his side of the car. Closing the door, she took a calming breath and walked the short distance to the door. Fingers shaking slightly she pushed the doorbell. She watched the door swing inward and there stood the once rogue slayer.

"Hey B good of you to make it." She looked past Buffy eyes searching. "Your guest still in the car?"

"Um yeah I'll just go get him." She could feel Faith's curious gaze as she sprinted to the passenger side of the car. Tapping on the window, she nodded her head. Straining to see inside she watched as he settled the comforter back over himself. Seeing him completely covered, she opened the door letting him find his footing. Again, she settled her arm around his waist mildly supporting him and led him quickly to the door. She watched the look on Faith's face as the other woman leaned on the doorjamb. Not wanting to read that look, she pulled him to a stop in front of her. Buffy ducked her head away from her gaze.

"Well..." She drawled, "Why don't you both come on in." She turned and stepped into the house.

Relived Buffy straightened up and lead him inside.

"So how many Vamps you know B?" Buffy closed the door behind them and turned to take the comforter off him.

"She bloody better not know more than one," came the muffled reply. Tugging hard Spike grunted in pain as the blanket finally fell off him.

"Whoa! Spike?" She shook her head in amazement. "Don't any of you stay dead?"

Buffy led Spike to the couch in the living room and sat him down. "Funny Faith. A little help here." She was trying to peak under the bandage she had put on him earlier. The bleeding had slowed considerably now just a mere trickle. The material had soaked through however and she needed to change the bandage.

"Sure let me get some stuff. Had Willow go out to the butchers she should be back soon." She turned and went down the hall.

Untying the bandage carefully she exposed the wound again. Looking at the hole in his chest she saw the blood drying on his shirt sticking to his skin and the wound.

"We gotta take your shirt off." Spike looked at her worried features.

"Knew you were just waitin' to get me undressed." He chuckled lightly.

"Ha ha. Don't you just wish?

Faith walked back in then, hands full with a first aid kit and a pair of scissors.

"Soooo something I should know?" She asked.

Taking the scissors Buffy began to cut through the front of his black tee shirt. "He's undead. Again." She slowly unpeeled the shirt from his skin. Opening it wide she got a better look at his injury. The edges were a little torn and it wasn't as deep as she had thought it to be in the hotel. She reached into the first aid kit and started to recover the wound with some gauze.

"Got that memo. Felt the tinglies when he was still in the car." She touched Buffy's shoulder gently. "Was thinking that there was a little more to the story."

Spike looked into Buffy's eyes and watched as she wrestled with her feelings yet again. He spoke slowly and carefully.

"Powers brought me and the poofter back. Sent me to look after her." He watched the rogue, knowing that Angel and her had shared a kind of bond.

"Angel's alive?"

"No he's still dead just not as dead as we were." She rolled her eyes at him. "He's staying in L.A."

"And this was his choice?" She surprised him by her insight.

He shrugged a little at her. "It was suggested to him. Powers want him to start helpin' the helpless again."

"And they sent you here to look after Buffy. Yet she's the one patching you up?" She smirked at him again.

Finished bandaging him up Buffy stood up. Turning to face the other woman, she smiled.

"I know it seems just a little odd doesn't it? I mean usually I'm rescuing him." Her smile took the sting out of her words. Both girls chuckled at his large groan.

"So what’s the deal? Makin' with the happy again?" It sometimes unnerved Buffy the way she could just stab right to the heart of the matter.

"We worked some things out. But I'm thinking we should get everyone here before." She moved and sat next to Spike on the couch. "Besides the guys we just fought. Not your everyday sort of thing."

"I'll start calling them in then. Robin is gonna be pissed that he missed out on this." Buffy's gazed quizzically at her. "Bad luck to see the Bride before the wedding."

"You got someplace we can lie him down for awhile then?"

"Yeah just down the hall there's a spare room. Think you can manage on your own?" He nodded slightly at her. "Good B and I actually have a little work to do."

Gathering himself, he rose slowly to his feet. "Be fine just wake me when everyone gets here." He placed a hand on Buffy's shoulder and squeezed slowly. "Go and do whatever you birds do to get ready." He walked slowly down the hall.

Faith turned back to Buffy looking the blonde over. She noticed the strain on her face.

"He'll be fine. Just got to let that Vampire healing kick in. Come on let me show you my dress." Dragging her by the arm, they went down the hall together.