Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay so this isn't a new fic. I just realized that I never finished posting this one at least at this site. Since the site it was at no longer is up I think maybe I should like correct that. So here is the next chapter someday soon I may even be able to finish this one. Not that there should be much left when I finish posting the other chapters. Please let me know what you think since I lost all the reviews I did have on this story. Have I mentioned how much it bites when sites go bye bye? Anyway thanks to everyone that takes the time to read.
Buffy had managed to spend the last thirty minutes talking to Faith or rather listening as she went over her last minute details for the evening. Finally content that she would fulfill her role as bridesmaid the other slayer had let her excuse herself to go and check on Spike.

Closing the door behind her she stared at the figure on the bed lying perfectly still. That was the thing with vamps they slept like the dead literally. She didn't know how many times she had tried waking him out of a deep sleep and not getting a response. Not to mention the not breathing thing. Quietly she walked towards the bed stopping as she reached the foot of the bed she just watched as he slept.

Thinking of how close she had come to losing him again today was just too much. Now without anything to keep her focused her mind drifted back to the memory of watching the demon swing the stake towards Spike's chest. Her eyes closed at the memory. The fear and pain she had been keeping at bay suddenly overwhelming her small frame. Tears began to stream from her eyes as she sat softly on the bed. Forcing herself to look at him again she mentally chided herself for her reaction after all he was here now. His blurry form was resting somewhat comfortably. Buried in her own thoughts she didn't hear the front door open and close. Didn't notice the sound of voices talking in the kitchen.

She did however hear the door open behind her. Turning she watched Faith walk slowly in the room a mug in one hand, a box of tissues and a shirt in the other.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"Thought you might want to give him this." She passed the mug to Buffy. Faith tilted the box of tissues towards her and placed the tee shirt next to her on the bed.

Gratefully taking one Buffy wiped the tears from her cheeks.

"Look...the others will be here soon. I can keep her busy until then but she's gonna want some answers."

"I know. Hope the others get here soon enough. It will be easier to do this with all of them here." She looked into the slayers dark eyes with her green ones. "I have a lot to explain."

"Go on get him squared away. I'll come get you when they get here."

Buffy smiled slightly. "Who are you and what have you done with Faith?"

The other woman smiled back. "Still me B." She glanced at Spike on the bed. "I'll be back." and she turned and walked out of the room.

When the click of the door echoed through the room she stood and walked over to the head of the bed. Setting the mug on the nightstand next to her she let her eyes travel over his face. Reaching out she touched his cheek. His eyes opened slowly.

"Hi."

"Hi yourself." She sat on the bed next to him. "Thought you might want to eat a little."

Spike pulled himself to sit upright. Silently she handed him the mug from the nightstand. He glanced into the mug looking at the red liquid finally noticing how hungry he was. It had been almost three days since he had last fed. How he was functioning so well surprised him. Quickly raising the glass he drained all of it in one long drink. Pulling the mug from his mouth he sat it back on the nightstand. Looking at her critically he tilted his head to one side in that endearing way he had.

"You been crying pet?" He reached his hand up and touched her cheek.

Buffy tried to turn her head away from the intensity of his gaze. "No." she managed to choke out.

"Hey look at me." he reached for her chin and gently turned her face back to him. "You have. Why?"

Not being able to help herself she felt the sting of the tears she had bitten back threaten to fall again. She felt his eyes search hers questioning, trying to understand the emotions he read there. Subconsciously she moved herself closer to him. Responding he wrapped his arms around her. As she leaned into his frame another small sob escaped her throat.

Grasping her tighter he felt her warm tears fall onto his skin. "Luv what is it?"

"Promise me you won't leave again."

He took a long breath. "Not going anywhere pet. Can't get rid of me that easily." He looked down at her upturned face. Seeing the uncertainty in her eyes he brought his mouth down on to hers kissing her hard. As he pulled away he smiled slightly. "I promise Buffy I'll do everything in my power to stay."

Sighing slightly she wiped the wetness from her face. She pulled herself out of his embrace and stood back up moving towards the tee shirt that Faith had left on the bed. Lifting it she shrugged at him. "Sorry about that. That was totally unfair."

He took the shirt from her hands leaning away from the wall he slipped it over his head. " 'Salright love."

"No it isn't. That was me being selfish. So not what I want to be." She took a deep breath. "Just it scared me you know?"

"Know a little to well." He pulled her closer to him. " 'sides I don't think the powers brought me back just to say hello and then get all dusty."

She looked at him thoughtfully. "You never did tell me why they did send you back."

"No don't suppose I did. You sure you want to know now?"

"No time like the present. Besides I don't want to take the chance of turning into avoidy girl about it."

"It's all cryptic like,” he said in warning.

"They always are go ahead it’s alright."

"Believe they said that I was to help you find you’re way again. They said that you were giving up on being the Slayer and your loved ones. Wanted me to make sure you found out that you were important still." He looked at her bemused expression. "Told me that whatever destiny you had was intertwined with my own."

"Let me get this straight... The all knowing Powers that Be thought that I had given up on my entire life and sent you here just so I would start slaying again and talk to my friends?" He shrugged at her. Buffy started to giggle and then was quickly taken over by pure laughter. Noticing his expression change from curiosity to anger she quickly started to force the chuckles back down her throat. "Sorry sorry. Just. " Another stifled giggle, "just I never gave up slaying. Yes I moved to a town that not much happens in but I wasn't going to stop my calling. I just needed sometime to heal. I was a little distracted and didn't want to face the great evil and get myself killed." She touched his knee.

"Then..."

"Spike how resistant were you to the idea of coming to see me?" she asked her eyes still twinkling.

"Honestly I was bloody terrified luv." The hand on his knee rubbed his leg affectionately.

"You didn't have to be." his eyes searched her face letting the words sink over him. "Really Spike didn't you think for a minute that I could have been just as miserable as you were?" she shook her head. "I think there's more to this then they told you. A whole lot more."

"So what are you saying?" His voice was gruff with confusion.

"I don't know what they had planned. I mean even without you here eventually I would have been back on the front lines. I can't give up who I am. And as for my family.... well I would have sought them out some time down the road." When he didn't seem to understand she touched his cheek.

"Spike I think they told you that so you would help me do this sooner rather than later. Or maybe to give you something. I don't know. Maybe they were just testing us. I hate these guys that’s why I was glad they dealt with Angel and left me alone."

"So you think I was being played again." He ground the last word out through clenched teeth.

"Maybe or maybe not. I don't really know why or do I really care how your back. I'm just glad you are." Her finger traced his jaw. "I'll tell Giles about it, if anything just to cover all our bases." Her fingers stopped at his lips. "Meanwhile I want to take advantage of the fact that some one up there likes us." her voice had almost dropped to a whisper. She felt his arms tighten around her and she lifted her face to his.

He kissed her slowly and gently this time savoring the texture of his lips against hers. With his tongue he traced her bottom lip pulling it into his mouth. Sucking and pulling he felt her moan deep in her throat. Slipping his tongue into her mouth he let it duel with hers. This time she pulled back slowly gasping for air. Looking into her bright green eyes he saw the desire beginning to burn there. Again he lowered his head to her slightly parted lips.

There was a knock on the door.

"Bloody hell!" he ground out.

"Everyone's here B." she heard Faith chuckle.

"I'll be right there." she called back. Lightly she kissed his cheek. "Sorry. I better get out there before they start really letting her have it. Give me a few minutes to talk to them all. I need to explain some stuff to them."

"Whatever you want luv."

She rose and strode towards the door. Grabbing the knob she turned and looked back at him a smile softly turning her lips. "I love you."

He gaped at her as she walked out and closed the door behind her.