Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to everyone who reviewed, I appreciate it so much! Also a big thanks to Celia for beta'ing this fic for me!

This is a shorter chapter, just a transition from life without buffy to life with buffy! The next chapter is pretty long, so I split it into two :) Reviews are always desired and appreciated!
He didn’t like the way the scoobies were being all antsy and not looking at him-ish. Leaning against one of the glass cases in the Magic Box, fingers tapping an incessant beat against his thigh, his eyes remained on Red as she fidgeted and shifted in her seat. Ever since his little walk down memory lane the night before in the graveyard, he was feeling even more pissy then usual and the fact that they all seemed to be hiding something from him wasn’t settling very well with him. Even with all the shit he had done for this little group in the past few months, they still looked at him like a damn outsider! He had grieved more than any of them, would damn well give his undead life for Buffy and would have, too, had he been able.

Spike’s attention was redirected as Willow started speaking about her worries concerning Buffy being in some hell dimension. That definitely caught his interest. It wasn’t that he exactly agreed with them, he wasn’t sure where Buffy was but he was pretty sure she wasn’t in pain. She was at rest but he couldn’t exactly burst out with that information. What was he supposed to say, ‘Sorry, kiddies, know you think I am the big bad and all and just to prove your point, I bit Buffy right before she died and claimed her as mine, linking our souls together for all eternity. So right about now, I think she may be sleeping’. Yeah, that was asking for a dusting, no doubt about it.

“Hey, earth to evil dead one.” Spike’s head jerked up in response to Xander’s hand waving in his face. Sometimes he still felt the undeniably urge to break the wanker’s neck, even after going through so much with the little scoobie gang. Evil. How the hell was he still evil? While he wouldn’t go around saying it out loud or anything, he was practically a damn white hat over here. All killing demons and crying over a slain slayer. Blue eyes narrowed as he cocked a brow at Xander, waiting for him to get on with whatever was so important as to interrupt Spike’s thoughts.

“You patrolling tonight or what?”

A smirk crossed Spike’s face, the old smirk, the one that said sod off without actually saying it. He didn’t have a whole lot of patience for niceties today. “Figure I’d go wander ‘round a bit, see what needs to be killed, all that lot.” He paused a second, his eyes narrowing immediately on Red as she got up and exited stage left. “Got a feeling there’s something going on here that I’m not bein’ filled in on, Harris.” Did they not realize he was a vampire? He felt like he should be wearing a sign -- Vampire! Heightened Senses! Reads people easily! -- since they all seemed to forget who he was so often. He may not be the big evil that he once was but he was still a vamp…he had the fangs to prove it.

“What…what makes you say that?” Xander’s eyes moved to where Willow had just exited before he looked back to Spike. “We’re just trying to figure out the game plan for tonight, who’s patrolling where and all that.” Xander’s voice sounded shaky, even to his own ears. They, the scoobies, had all decided it was for the best though, if they didn’t fill Spike in on the plan. They figured it wouldn’t sit well with the vamp and besides, he would just get in the way in the long run. “Want to take the west cemeteries? I’ll take the east and Willow and Tara can stay here with Dawn.”
Spike just shrugged, giving up on trying to figure out what was going on. If they didn’t want to tell him, well he would just find out on his own in a less obvious fashion. No use fretting over it. “Yeah, sure, I’ll take the West.” He cast one more curious look at Xander before he turned to head into the backroom and grab some weapons. With all the restless energy he had, killing something sounded like the best idea of the night.

*******

“Here baddies, come on out and play with Uncle Spike-y…” The distinct British voice wafted out over the still cemetery, leaving Spike feeling even more aggravated by the minute. The highlight of the night so far had been slicing off a fledglings head as he emerged from the grave - not exactly the most challenging of battles. “Bugger this…” Spike muttered with a low growl, kicking absently at a clump of dirt laying atop of the grass. “Maybe Harris is having more luck…would do the boy good to see a real fight…” With that in mind, he turned, starting the walk to the other side of Sunnydale where Xander was supposed to be patrolling. As usual, his mind started wandering down memory lane, this time about the first time he had seen Buffy. She had been what…sixteen maybe…when he first saw her and even as he told her that he was going to kill her, he’d been attracted to her. While even he wasn’t enough of love’s bitch to say that he’d had feelings for her then, there was no way he would deny that he had gotten hard just at the sight of the golden slayer. She had been so young and full of life, full of spunk and pride. He’d told her how the last slayer he’d killed had begged for her life but Buffy didn’t seem like the type to do that. Truthfully, that had only made him want to kill her more; Spike loved a challenge. I’d do anything for my sweet sixteen…, the song drifting from his mind and out of his lips without him really thinking about it. The Billy Idol song had meant more to him since he’d lost Buffy. When he pictured her in his mind, he chose to picture her as that cocky sixteen year old girl who thought she could take the world out with a single punch. He liked to picture her head cocked to the side as she sized him up, that cocky smirk on her face--that’s who she was. Spirited, beautiful and now all gone. With a low sigh, he shook his head, trying to shake himself out of the mood he was sinking into. All I need is a good fight, that’s all, it’ll straighten my mood right up he tried to tell himself though he knew nothing was going to help his mood. Regardless, he started walking a little faster towards the East cemeteries