Author's Chapter Notes:
OMG thanks so much for the reviews!!! Hope you enjoy this short little chapter. Please keep letting me know what you think. Thanks again
Standing just inside of the open doorway Buffy fought down the surge of panic in her veins. Her eyes flit around the room not settling on any one thing but taking in the whole room. She felt a small tremble as the recognition flooded her brain and struggled to keep it down. Sucking in a deep breath she held it for a moment before letting it go slowly.

While she concentrated on her deja vu Angel had moved up the stairs to the control panel.

As the tank like structure moved up in the center of the room she took a deep breath. Feeling eyes on her she turned her head to see Spike studying her intently.

She gave him a small smile before turning her eyes away and fixating on the container that was now completely raised. Her eyes could make out the shadow of whatever strange creature the Partners had conjured made its way around the swirling vortex. Judging size was almost impossible in the warped image but whatever it was it wasn't small. It moved with a fluidity and grace her slayer senses screamed was every bit as deadly as she guessed.

There was a series of loud pings that she surmised led to the beginning of the top of the tube opening. Glancing to the side she could see Angel make his way down the set of stairs.

"Um Angel this thing? It's supposed to be designed to kill you right?"

"That's what Lindsey said."

The top started to slide open.

"Then I'm thinking you might want to wait out in the other room." As the last syllable fell on her ears the newt like head of the thing peeked out staring directly at Angel.

As the hand of the, whatever the thing was popped out she could see Angel back slowly to the door. Then he just seemed to stop. A second hand appeared and she cast a nervous glance in his direction.

"Uhh Angel?"

Whatever this thing was it was slimy in appearance and a dark green color. Its large eyes never strayed from Angel's form, as it seemed to pull itself up.

"Angel?" She asked him again and tore her gaze from the amphibian like creature back to him.

"Small problem."

"Not now. Now is not a good time for a problem." She gestured to the creature that was now more then halfway out of the tank.

"The door it's locked." There was definitely no tone of happiness in his voice.

"You got an idea about this thing pet?" Spike seemed to only concentrate on the thing entering the room with them.

She took her eyes off Angel and looked back at the thing which she had a name for maybe something like salamander.
Its leg was now on the outside of the tank and in just a few milliseconds it would be fully exposed.

"Nope I got nothing. How bout you?" Asking was stupid of course none of them had a plan and well neither her nor Spike were known for plotting.

"Sorry."

"That's what I thought. So we jump right in as usual. Angel you better stay behind us." She tossed the last words of her shoulder as newt boy jumped to the ground.

Her eyes took in creature as it straightened to its full height. Tall it must have been around six foot five and broadly muscular. Buffy noticed the slime thing seemed to cover the whole body and its sharp eyes never ever left Angel.

She glanced at Spike as he finished sizing the thing up and gave him a curious tilt of her head.

"So you want to go first?"

His eyes seemed to travel over the creature’s form and then back to her.

"I'll give it a go."

As he approached the newt for lack of a better term she realized the very critical mistake they had made. There was little of the room left with the thing in its center. Little room for them to maneuver or to block the thing from getting to Angel. Why hadn't they thought of leaving the door open? Her glance went from Spike and back to Angel. Well that kind of answered her question.

During the like five steps it took for Spike to reach the new creature it hadn't moved or reacted to his proximity. It stood almost patiently its eyes looked on Angel it's nostrils flaring slightly as it took in and expelled air. Catching his slight movement out of the corner of her eye she let out a small gasp as the creature jumped in reaction. It took a lumbering step forward before Angel halted his movement.

"Don't move." She hissed towards him her eyes now trained on the blond as he started to swing a punch at the newt.

Fist connecting it seemed to sink into the slime along the creatures hide before connecting with its jaw. Apparently that was enough to get its attention because its lips seemed to draw back exposing a set of teeth reminiscent of Jaws. That really couldn't be good. But even then its eyes swiveled back to the man behind her.

It's jaws clashing together Spike had to jump out of the way as the head unexpectedly swiped at him. Once distance was reestablished between them the creature seemed to ignore that Spike was still there. She had never seen something with such a singular focus as this thing and hoped that it was a magical trait.

"Spike." It was a half whisper half urgent call only loud enough for him to hear her and understand her need to be heard.

His eyes instantly found hers questioning silently.

Slowly drawing the dagger out of her boot she flicked her eyes from it to the creature and back to Spike. When his brow furrowed she suppressed the sigh that threatened to bubble out of her chest. This time she gestured with the dagger to the creature making stabbing motions reminiscent of Anthony Perkins.

At this he quirked an eyebrow at her and she had to resist the urge to roll her eyes. Right now was not the time for him to be his annoying snarky self.

Unfortunately the delay between them left Angel too much time left to his own devices. Feeling a little secure about the lack of movement from the slimy amphibian he took a full step to his right and away from Buffy.

Newt boy was not amused. The reaction was almost instantaneous as it lunged forward anticipating Angel's move. Taking stock of the dagger sitting in her hand and seeing the distance between the creature and Angel disappear she flipped it in her hand joggled it for the weight and threw it.

Each move was made in fractions of a second just long enough for the thing to be just abreast of its goal before her aim proved true and the dagger entered its eye. It staggered back letting loose with an ear piercing shriek. Momentarily distracted from its prey Spike took the advantage and jumped on the creatures back.

Not the wisest move the vampire had ever made and just short of effective as he slipped and slid along the slimy creature. Only the grip he had around the things neck kept him in place and he was struggling with that she could tell.

"Spike will you stop goofing around already?" She was hesitant to give up her place since it still partially blocked the view of Angel to the already enraged creature but she really wanted to get that dagger back and finish this fight.

"Ha ha Slayer. You just gonna stand there?"

She let out a sigh. Why did she always have to finish these things? Oh yeah right Slayer, Chosen One, destiny, and yada yada yada.

"Angel when I tell you I want you to run back up the steps." Her gaze was concentrated on the duo spinning round in circles in front of them so she failed to notice the stunned expression on his face.

"What?" She could sense him shaking his head repeatedly. "Have you seen the way that thing reacts when I move?"

"I need the distraction. Besides you got that whole vampire speed thing should be a piece of cake."

"I don't think this is such a good idea Buffy."

"Stop being such a bloody poof and do what the lady says!" How he was managing to form a complete sentence was beyond her with all the spinning.

"Will you get down from there already? As soon as he moves we'll rush it together."

She could hear Angel grumbling behind her but she couldn't make out the words. It really didn't matter though as she watched Spike choose that moment to let his grip around the things neck go and went sailing against the railing on the stairs.

"Graceful I'll give it a six." She couldn't help the smirk that graced her lips.

Behind her she could hear a steady chuckle.

Now he was mumbling something about unfunny poofters and teasing bints, which she couldn't quite make out as he got to his feet. She took in the sight of him and bit back a series of laughs that threatened to overwhelm her.

From the top of his blond curls to the tip of the Doc's on his feet Spike was dripping in slime. She so wanted to comment but thought better of the idea when she took in the look of the creature’s one good eye.

"Okay Angel now!"

As he turned from behind her and made his way to the stairs Buffy and Spike rushed forward. Spike grabbed the creature around the middle keeping it from advancing towards Angel. She quickly slid the dagger out of its eye and jumped back to avoid its jaws. Sidestepping its hand snaking towards her she ducked and dragged the blade across its throat. Seeing her make the deep cut Spike let go of the thing and grabbed for the back of its head. She dodged another swing of its arm and went back over the same cut this time sinking it even deeper in its throat. For good measure she turned and sunk the dagger into the heart of the creature.

When it started to slide to the floor she took in the sight of the blond before her and had to let out a laugh. He didn't seem to appreciate it as he crossed his arms over his chest and lifted his eyebrow at her in response.

She just gave him a shrug and walked up the steps to the platform where Angel was without seeing if he was following her.