Author's Chapter Notes:
I just want you guys to tell me what you think cause i could end this here or keep going just let me know if its worth it thanks to everyone who has reviewed so far.
Dawn opened the front door slowly glad that the living room was empty for once. The entire household had been out today after Giles had told them about the phone call he'd gotten the night before. Taking in deep breath she savored the silence. Even if she was a teenager that many girls in one house was too much.

She took a moment to wonder about the news they had received from the Coven. Caleb was dead, the First was history and the Hellmouth had been sealed. Although they were at a loss to explain it Dawn knew exactly what had happened. Buffy had somehow found a way to defeat the big bad just like she always did.

The thought of her sister sent a pang through her heart. How could they have been so heartless to her? Why didn't she stand up and defend her like she had wanted to do. It shouldn't have mattered what Giles had said. Buffy was the one that always without fail, kept the world from ending. Who were they to question her when she knew what needed to be done. But she hadn't she had stood there and asked her only family to leave the house they shared.

During the course of the last two days they had searched for her but they always arrived too late. She had already gone by the time they got there. They had found Caleb's headless corpse of course and inwardly she had done a little happy dance that her sister had managed to take out the crazy priest. But she had been long gone by the judge of things. And it had continued like that. They would arrive somewhere maybe see a clue about what went on or maybe not but she was nowhere to be found. Today she had even managed the trip to Spike's old crypt the locator spell telling them that she was there. But again by the time they arrived no Buffy.

She was really starting to worry about her sister. Sure she was an adult and able to take care of herself but it wasn't like they had ever been apart for this long. Not in her real memories. So she worried. And she was not really willing to admit that she was worried about Spike too. No one had heard from him since he went to go find her sister and for him to stay away that long was unheard of.

So everyone had been out of the house either helping to search, or doing a grocery run, or going to the launder mat (one of the girls had finally broken the washing machine) or any number of other chores. Leaving a nice empty house for Dawn to come home to.

She stopped as she neared the stairs noticing that one of the pictures of her mom was missing. That seemed odd to her. Shrugging she made her way upstairs heading towards her room.

Reaching the top step she paused looking at the door to her sister's room. Like she did so many times when her sister was dead she couldn't help the sudden urge to open the door and look in. Turning the knob slowly she let the hinges swing open on their own. What she saw made her gasp.

In the center of the bed was a shiny red weapon of some sort. She had never seen it before and knew it wasn't part of the others collections. She stepped closer to the bed and noticed an envelope propped up against it. In her sister's handwriting she saw her name scrawled across it.

She reached out with a trembling hand and grabbed the envelope. Turning it in her hand she opened it slowly and drew out the pieces of paper inside.

******

Dawnie,

I just wanted you to know that I'm okay and everything is all right. I gather from the emptiness of the house that everyone knows that Caleb and the First have been taken care of. Surprisingly it was easier than we all thought it would be but I don't want to bore you with the details. Maybe some time soon I'll tell you.

I wanted to tell you that I'm not mad at you or the others for that matter. I love you Dawnie and I always will. I understand what happened the other night and while I may not agree with it I'm okay. Don't get me wrong it still hurt and probably will for a long time but we're family and nothing is ever going change the way I feel about you.

That said I'm going to tell you something you don't want to hear or read I guess since I'm writing this but anyway, I'm leaving town. Don't try to run out and find me I'm on my way as we speak. Or I write. Whatever. I'm doing this because I think it's for the best. I'll let you know where I am as soon as I get settled.

There are lots of reasons that I'm going and I just want you to know that it wasn't you. Don't ever think that okay? I finally realized that my living in the same town was actually drawing more of the big bads instead of getting rid of them. So this is safer for everyone. Remember I only do what I need to protect you. I realize that you're growing up and it sounds like I don't but this is what I am. I hope you understand that.

I've taken care of a few things that I need you to tell Giles about. First I've petitioned the court to make Giles your legal guardian. This will keep you from having to go into a foster home and believe me when I tell you I want to make sure that doesn't happen. There shouldn't be a problem but he'll have to stay in the states until you turn 18. Also I went to the bank and had them put the bank accounts in your name. You have full access to them not that we had much but there's enough in there to pay the bills that are due this month. The account numbers are on the back of this letter. I also had them put the house in your name and gave Giles power of attorney over it. That way he can help take care of it until you turn 18, but it also means you'll have to take over the payments. He can look up all the other stuff but this should leave you in good shape until you can legally live on your own. I'll probably send for the rest of my stuff so if you want to pack it up that's up to you. The extra bedroom might be nice for Giles to use since he'll have to stay there now. Of course it would be kind of fitting if you had him stay in the basement. Just a thought.

I guess your wondering about the scythe on the bed. It was the weapon that Caleb was hiding from us. Used the thing to slice his head off. Trust me when I say it was so worth it. I don't know what it is for sure and I'm sure Giles can figure it out. I want Faith to have it. I know its supposed to belong to a slayer its something I can feel and she might need it.

You can let the others know that I still care about them and while I'm not holding any grudges I seriously don't think I can face them right now. That's why I'm only leaving you a letter. I'm truly hurt by what they did and I don't know when I'll be able to look any of them in the eye without a lot of yelling and general anger.

Make sure to tell Willow to take it easy on the magic (I know you guys have been doing locator spells like crazy, you can smell the stuff all through the house). Tell Xander that I'm sorry I failed him. I know I should have protected him better. Let Giles know that I know he's disappointed in me and while it hurts to say but I'm kind of disappointed in him too. I thought so much better of him than the stuff he's done this year. And tell Faith no hard feelings; guess its just another bump in our rocky relationship.

I know this is an awful lot for me to dump on you but I really am not comfortable showing up with everyone around. And it’s probably easier on everyone if I just leave like this. Pretty much everyone got their chance at saying goodbye don't you think?

One last thing. Don't worry about Spike. He's agreed to come with me and help get me set up. I know that the others will be up in arms about that but without his help I wouldn't have been able to face Caleb and win. He believed in me and I needed that. He's not sure if he's coming back or not but he told me to let you know that he's sorry you guys didn't get a chance to try and make things right between you. He still cares about you a lot and you're the only thing he's going to miss in this God forsaken hell hole (His words.). We've come to an understanding so to speak and its good to know that I'll have a friend when I get to where I'm going.

I love you Dawnie and I only want what’s best for you. I hope this gives you the opportunity to make your own choices in your life something I never got to have. But that’s the point isn't it? I want you to have it better than I did. So I want you to promise me that you'll go back to acting like the teen you are and worrying about being popular and boys and clothes and schoolwork like all the other girls your age. Please don't let that stupid town steal your childhood like it did mine.

That's it for now I guess and I hope to drop you a letter in a week to let you and you alone to know where you can reach me. Don't ever think that I don't care or that you can't depend on me in an emergency. I refuse to act like that sorry excuse for a Father we have. But I've gone on long enough and Spike is waiting for me to hurry my ass up (again his words).

I love you always,

Buffy

********

Dawn looked up from the letter in her hands and glanced around the room. She noticed that Mr. Gordo was gone from his spot on the bed, there were a few pictures missing from the vanity mirror and she could see the closet door was open.

She really had packed what she wanted and left.

Dawn sank to the bed and let the tears wash down her face