Author's Chapter Notes:
I used elements from “Tough Love” in this chapter while creatively altering some of the events in it. You’ll soon find out the changes I made:)
The next night, Spike walked out of his crypt and noticed Buffy sitting there, looking up at the sky.

“Well, pet, can’t say I expected to see you here,” he said, tilting his head. “Didn’t feel like spending some time with Tommy Grant again?”

“I don’t think he liked me too much,” she replied, smiling softly. “I felt like looking at the stars again and figured here was as good a place as any.” He sat beside her and sighed.

“Something on your mind again?” he asked. “Hopefully not of the hell-god variety? Or death, for that matter?”

“No, unfortunately I’m thinking about normal human issues at the moment,” she said. “I dropped out of school for the semester.” He raised an eyebrow. “Between having to take care of things at home, Dawn, and the upcoming apocalypse, I just couldn’t handle the workload. And Dawn’s been the biggest pain lately. She’s been getting in trouble at school and being disrespectful to everyone, and I’ve had just about enough. And want to hear something horrible? I almost told her today that I wish Glory would just take her off my hands for good.” Spike frowned. “What’s wrong with me?”

“You’re under a lot of stress, luv,” he replied, putting his hand on her back. She looked down, biting back tears. “Everyone knows you’d give your life for Dawn, and I know you love her, Slayer. You just got pushed to a limit for a moment- there’s nothing wrong with that.”

“And Willow and Tara had a fight, and now things are all messed up with them,” Buffy said. “I guess Tara made a remark about Willow and magic, which of course got Willow upset, and-”

“Couples get in fights and have disagreements, Buffy,” he said. “The world doesn’t stop because of it.” She nodded and took a deep breath. “Anything else to get off your chest?”

“I accidentally shrank one of Dawn’s shirts,” she said, and Spike smirked. “I didn’t like it in the first place, but I shrank it and threw it away before telling Dawn that I hadn’t seen it and that maybe she lost it.”

“A little white lie like that is nothing,” he replied, and she looked at him. “Are you okay now?”

“Yep,” she answered before looking up at the sky. “You know what would be pretty to see? The Aurora Borealis.”

“I don’t think they have the whole ‘northern lights’ show here,” he said. “I think places like Alaska and Canada might, but not Sunnydale.”

“There’s Cassiopeia,” she said, pointing to a set of stars. He raised an eyebrow and looked at her, surprised. “I looked online at constellations and stars. Google is a great learning tool, isn’t it?”

“Whatever you say,” he replied. “What else do you see up there?”

“I think that’s called the Hyades,” she said, tilting her head as she looked at a grouping of stars. “It forms the head of Taurus, the bull.” She pointed to another grouping of stars. “And I believe that’s the Praesepe, otherwise known as the ‘Beehive Cluster’.”

“You’ve been doing your homework, Miss Summers,” Spike replied, smiling. “I’m impressed.”

“I figure I might as well learn this stuff just in case I die,” she said, shrugging, and his expression darkened immediately.

“You’re not going to die, Buffy,” he said in a stern tone. “Don’t ever say that again.”

“I’m going to die someday, Spike- I’m over it,” she replied. “Not everyone on this earth is undead and immortal.” She paused and looked away. “Thank god.”

“Hey, play nice,” he said. “Being a vampire has its perks.”

“So I’m told,” she said, looking at him. “About what I said last night-”

“If you’re going to take it back, I’d rather not hear it,” he said, looking down.

“I wasn’t going to,” she said, and he raised an eyebrow. “I just figured you might want to talk about it.”

“And I figured that you didn’t,” he said. She smiled softly and shrugged.

“Not really, but you tend to bring up things that I don’t want to talk about, so why would tonight be any different?” she asked. He looked away.

“Because things have changed a bit,” he replied. “I don’t want to make you uncomfortable, not when you’re willingly sitting here and acting like we’re talking-buddies. I know I stick my foot in my mouth sometimes, but I’m not willing to jeopardize this particular moment by acting like an ass.” She smiled softly and nodded. “Okay?”

“Sounds like a deal,” she said before putting her hand on his knee and pushing herself up to stand.

“Where are you going?” he asked, looking up at her sadly.

“I should probably head home,” she replied. “There hasn’t been any demonic activity the last couple of days, so it’s kind of pointless for me to stay out until sunrise patrolling. Besides, I feel better being at home, making sure Dawn is safe.”

“Want me to walk you home?” he offered, and she shrugged. “Is that a no?”

“I’ll be fine,” she said, looking at her watch. “Besides, the sun will be up pretty soon. Can’t have a pile of dust fight against Glory, now can we?” He smirked and stood up. “Thanks for tonight.”

“You’re welcome,” he replied, and she nodded. “And not just for tonight. For everything you said last night, too.” She smiled and walked closer to him, gently kissing him like she did a couple of days before when they were inside his crypt. “I love you.”

“I know,” she said quietly. “Good night, Spike.” He watched as she turned on her heel and walked away. “Again, thank you.” It was said quietly, but his enhanced senses picked up on it.

“No, pet, thank you,” he said, turning around and going inside his crypt. As she heard his door close, she smiled to herself.

“You’re welcome.”