Harmony



Rated- PG13



Summary- There are two vampires with a soul. The world is falling into chaos because of this anomaly. There is no way around it. One of them has to die. But which one?



Spoilers- This takes place after Buffy’s Chosen and Angel’s Destiny



Disclaimer- Joss Whedon owns all the characters from BTVS and ATS. I’m just borrowing. Although, I’m kinda reluctant to give back a certain bleach blonde



Sorry for the delay. I’ve been trying to work on improving my original writing, and sort of neglecting my fanfic.




Chapter 8



Buffy sat up, smoothing down her rumpled blue sweater. She exchanged a look with Spike, who flashed her a smirk.



Willow stepped further into the room. She blinked, processing the couple on the bed. “Normally I would ask if I should leave. But I can’t. Cuz ‘hello’ that is Spike.” She pointed to the bleach-blonde. “Supposedly ‘dead’ Spike.”



“Um . . .” Buffy bit her lip. “We can explain.”



“Ya see . . .” Spike began, but didn’t know where to start.



“He’s back,” Buffy continued. “He showed up at Wolfram and Hart.”



“Came out of that blasted amulet of Angel’s. Was all ghosty, but now I’m a real boy again,” he finished.


Gaping, Willow shook her head. “Wow. Um . . .” Her expression transformed into a smile. “It’s good to see you again, Spike.”



“Thanks, Red. It‘s good to be seen.”



There was a moment of silence. No one moved. Buffy noticed how frightened her sister looked.



“Dawnie?” Buffy asked in concern.



The teen’s head shot up, startled. She backed up until she hit the wall. She closed her eyes. After a moment she opened them again. Her breath caught.



“Sp-Spike, you’re. . . Are you real?”



Spike stood up. He took a tentative step toward her. “Nibblet?”



A sob escaped Dawn. She rushed at him, arms flying. She hit him full-force, embracing him harshly. He held her back, stroking her silky hair.



“I’m so sorry,” she cried. She repeated the apology over and over.



Spike’s hand stilled. He met Buffy’s gaze with puzzlement. She mouthed, ’Fire’ and ‘bed.’ Suddenly he understood.



“Aw, Dawn, I’m not sore about the fire bit. You had a right to be angry.”



She lifted her head, wetness streaming down her cheeks. “I didn’t mean it,“ she choked. “I’d never really hurt you.“ The vampire reached out and brushed the tears away. He gave her a loving smile.



All of a sudden Dawn burst out laughing. She tightened her hold. “We missed you.”



“Missed my girls as well.” Spike glanced at Buffy as he said this. He held out a welcoming hand. The slayer came forward, joining the group hug.


Willow watched the threesome, soaking up the sweet scene. She quietly left, heading for her own room.



***********************



“So, after the grand poof himself very graciously asked us to push off, your big sis invited me to accompany her here so we could talk,” Spike finished.



Dawn fought rolling her eyes. Yeah right, she thought. Talk. Inwardly she laughed. That was no conversation Willow and I walked in on.



“Well, I’m glad Giles found that prophecy. Otherwise we never would have came to LA.”



Spike lifted an eyebrow. “What is this prophecy?”



Just then Buffy came out of the bathroom. She ran her fingers through her golden locks and let out a yawn.



Dawn shrugged. “Buffy knows more than I do.”



“Is that right?” Spike’s attention shifted to land on the slayer.



“Huh? What?” Buffy inquired.



“This prophecy. What is it?”



“Oh.” Buffy let out another yawn. “Just some prophecy about Angel getting a reward. Some ’light shining from above’. Something like that.



Spike shot to his feet. He began to pace the room. “I can’t believe this!”



“Huh?” Buffy sounded very confused.



Spike stopped. He gestured with his hands as he spoke. “He already has ‘one’ prophecy. He doesn’t need another bloody one too!” He put his hand up to his heart. “And what about me? I’m the one who went and got a soul willingly. Hey, who’s to say these destiny texts aren’t about me?”



Buffy pondered that for a minute. She frowned. “They could be,” she said slowly. “Giles immediately concluded it had to be about Angel because you were . . . gone.”



“Ah hah! Angel acts all high and mighty, thinking he is the chosen one. When all along I could be the one to get the beating heart.”



“What?” Dawn squeaked.



“Whoa, wait. Beating heart? Human?” Buffy got in.



Spike nodded. “The Shanshu prophecy. A vampire with a soul will do some brilliant deed and be rewarded with humanity.”



Buffy’s head reeled. The thought of Angel or Spike becoming human was a lot to take in. Buffy teetered. Her hand shot out and met the wall for support.



Dawn jumped up. “Buffy!?”



The world spun. Buffy opened and closed her eyes a few times, trying to focus.



Spike came forward and swooped her up. He brought Buffy over to the bed and laid her down. He ran a hand over her, looking for anything to indicate the unexpected dizziness.



“What is the matter, luv?” Spike asked.



“I - I don’t know. I suddenly felt strange.” She swallowed. “I feel better now.”



He stared at her for awhile. Then he said, “Rest.”



She nodded, scooting over. “Join me?”


He climbed in under the sheets. She spooned herself against his body, wanting as much contact as possible.



“I’m gonna . . .” Dawn pointed to the door. “Willow and I saw this witch documentary advertised. I think it’s on now.”



Spike nodded, giving her a thankful smile. He knew what she was up to and was grateful for it. He put his head down after Dawn left, listening to an already slumbering Buffy breath.



*********************



A couple hours later Spike awoke. He felt the slayer stir.



“Buffy?”



She clutched onto him. “Oh God!” she exclaimed.



“What is it?”



Buffy buried her face in his chest. “Oh God,” she mumbled. “I dreamt. . .” Her voice caught.



He kissed the top of her head. “It’s okay, Buffy. I’m here.”



“Don’t leave me.” She looked up at him. The room was dark, but with his vampiric sight he could see the pleading in her eyes. “Never leave me.”



“Buffy . . .” He sighed. “I’m not going anywhere.”



Buffy glanced over at the other bed. It was untouched, perfectly made. “Where’s Dawn?”



“She went over to see Willow. Gave some rot about a show they were gonna watch.”


“Oh.”



Their eyes met.



“Spike.” His name came out breathily. She trailed her fingers down his shirt.



Sitting up a little, he grabbed her roaming hand. “This might not be a wise idea. We don’t know what made you dizzy. Are you sure you’re all right?”



“I’m fine,” she assured him. “I think I was just tired.”



“Buff-”



She silenced him with her soft lips. She tugged on his black t-shirt. He couldn’t help but let out a moan. All thoughts of Buffy’s ’almost fainting spell’ left him.



*************************



Angel reread the paragraph again. It didn’t help. He couldn’t get the words to sink in. Frustrated, he shoved the file away.



He leaned back, rubbing his temples. He couldn’t concentrate. Images of Buffy and Spike kept running through his head. That epiphany before didn’t seem to be helping the situation any. He still wanted Buffy. And he definitely couldn’t stand to think of her choosing Spike over him.



Maybe he should call it a night and go to bed. If he could bring himself to sleep that is.



A ring jolted him from his thoughts. He grabbed the phone and put the receiver to his ear.



“Angel speaking.”



“Hello, this is Kate from the infirmary ward.”



Angel straightened. “Yes, Kate. How can I help you?”



“That patient you were curious about. . . Well, he . . . died twenty minutes ago.”



Angel took in a long breath. “I see.”



“He fell into a coma earlier today. Then his heart simply stopped. We tried to revive him but nothing worked.”



“I understand, Kate. Thank you for informing me. I suggest sending the body to the lab for a dissection.”



“All right.”



“Is that all, Kate?”



“Not quite.” The doctor paused. “That woman you came to see earlier. . .”



Angel froze. He clutched the phone tighter. “What about her?”



Oh God, Cordy, he thought with fright. He didn’t know if he could handle her death right now.



“She’s . . . Well, she’s awake.”



Angel bolted out of his chair. “I’ll be right there.”



Without waiting for a reply, Angel slammed the phone down. He hurried out of his office without hesitating for a second.



____________________________________________________