Chapter 14

Buffy woke up some time during the night, needing the bathroom. It took her a few moments to remember where she was, the unfamiliar clock ticking, the traffic outside and the warm body next to her were not what she was used to at all. Her clock didn't tick, very little traffic passed through her exclusive enclave and she definitely wasn't used to hearing another person breathe when she was in bed. She slipped from under the quilt, shivering a little as she padded to the bathroom. The main room - she didn't know quite what to call it - still smelled vaguely of cigarette smoke and bourbon. Probably in the furnishings, she thought, hurrying back to bed. By the time she got there she was shivering in earnest, so it seemed natural to cuddle up to the nice, warm body that was Spike. He'd rolled onto his side, so she wrapped herself against his back and concentrated on getting warm for a few moments. Then, as she relaxed once more the feeling changed to one of simply enjoying the feel of him.

She loved the way he looked, but this was something different. The texture of his skin, the way his muscles moved as she trailed a finger experimentally across his back, the hair on the back of his neck tickling her nose. Everything concentrated into touch and smell. It was intoxicating. Now she realised why people closed their eyes when they kissed. To feel the pleasure of that one thing alone, blocking out all the other distractions. Her leg slid up and down his calf. Would it be mean to wake him? He seemed pretty out of it, his breathing heavy and even, and he'd really looked like he'd needed a good night's sleep. The trouble was that now she was all excited. Her roving fingers were enjoying themselves far too much for it to stop there. The darkness and the fact that he was asleep, and helpless made her feel giddy and reckless, and it was suddenly too damned hot. With a wicked smile, she wriggled out of his shirt and pushed it away. That was better. Now she could feel most of him. Apart from the bit covered by his boxers - but that would definitely wake him. Of course, she didn't plan to fall asleep this way. The plan was to put the shirt back on, at some point, but it felt so nice that she found herself not wanting to. Just a few moments more, she thought, rubbing herself sensuously against the muscles of his back. Knowing that he could wake up at any minute and catch her made it even more thrilling. And that was her last thought before she drifted away.


------------------------------------------

It was about seven a.m. when Spike woke up. His headache wasn't quite as bad as he remembered from the night before, but the inside of his mouth felt like the Sahara Desert. And Buffy was . . . almost-naked in his bed? He remembered the going to bed bit, but surely that had involved the wearing of some shirt or other. Hadn't it been blue? She was curled up beside him, one arm spread over his chest, the quilt barely covering her shoulders. And she definitely wasn't wearing the shirt. He wondered what else she wasn't wearing. No, he'd definitely remember that. Just what had the wicked little minx been up to while he'd been asleep? She was such an adorable mixture of innocence and sexiness, he thought. One minute bumbling around incompetently in her car, the next giving him the biggest early-morning hard -on that he'd had for a long time.

And that was without her doing anything. If she moved, he was going to lose it completely, so he eased himself carefully out of her arms and sat up, swinging his legs over the side of the bed.

He took a few calming breaths, then made his way to the bathroom, turning up his nose at the stale smell of booze and cigarettes. Funny, he hadn't noticed that last night. He brushed his teeth and grabbed himself a couple of painkillers before going back to bed. When he got there, Buffy was stirring. He slid in beside her, and took her in his arms and magically the hard- on came back, full force. Clever girl, he thought. It was a long time since he'd just enjoyed the simple pleasure of lying in bed cuddled up with a woman he could trust. To be fair to Dru, she'd taught him about passion, and taken him places he'd never been before, and for a while it had been just what he'd needed. But it had all got too tangled, and kind of desperate. Now, he realised, he just wanted someone who would love him, be nice to him and make him happy. He was more than willing to give back. She gave another little moan and wriggled into him, pressing her breasts against his chest, and muttering something incoherent. Then she opened her eyes.

--------------------------------

Buffy blinked, trying to focus in the dim morning light. Spike's bare chest, his hand trailing slowly up and down her arm, rain spattering against the window pane. The remnants of her dream faded away as she came to and took in the sounds and sights of the morning.

"Morning cutie." Spike twisted himself so he was facing her, his hand still moving across her arm and shoulder.

"Morning," she said sleepily. "Umm, this is a nice way to wake up." Better than an alarm clock, she thought. His hand moving lightly over her bare skin was sending lovely little shock waves right down to her toes. She'd had a very naughty dream in which she'd explored every part of his body, in great detail, and he'd done the same to her, sliding the shirt off her shoulders so he could see more of her. Oh heck, the shirt. The memory of her little nocturnal interlude came flooding back to her, and she wasn't sure whether to be embarrassed or not. He sure as hell didn't seem to mind finding her like this.

He was watching his hand intently, as it travelled across her skin. When it got to her collar- bone he stopped and looked at her, as if asking permission to go further. She nodded mutely, his slow, sexy grin causing her breath to catch in her throat, and arched up ever so slightly to encourage him. Not that he needed it. His hand had already found her breast, the fingers teasing the nipple, his mouth following. Pulling the quilt away as he dipped down, causing her to shiver both with the cold, and with anticipation of where his mouth was headed. When he finally lifted his head she felt totally boneless, and her extremely expensive designer-panties were soaked through. And she didn't want him to stop.

As he crawled back up her body she shifted her position, capturing him between her thighs, a hand on either side of his face so she could really look at him and tell him what she wanted. He'd said it was her call, so she was calling it. He liked words, so she was using them.

"Make love to me Spike. I don't want to wait any longer." It felt strange to hear those words coming out of her mouth, but it was okay because it didn't sound like her. Her voice had a honeyed silkiness that she didn't recognise. Everything she did was changing her, and this, most of all. She gently thrust her hips upwards, just to back up her message. Not that he wasn't getting it. He was biting his bottom lip and looking deep inside her. Looking for the truth of it.


She nodded. "Please Spike, I'm going to die if you say no now.

By way of response his mouth crashed down on hers, followed by the full weight of his body, grinding into her. For a few moments they were both totally out of control, completely swept away by the sheer lust of it all. She groped at his boxers, he was yanking down her panties. Then he was talking, trying to say something between ragged breaths. She grabbed his face and dragged it back to hers, trying to silence him with kisses. no more talking, only this. But he pulled away again.

"Buffy." His voice seemed to be coming from a long way away. "Buffy, are you...are you on the pill?"

"Pill?" She tried to pull him down again, but what he's said was sinking in. Contraception. She'd forgotten all about it in her headlong rush into lust. But he'd have it sorted, right? Didn't men always have bedside tables full of condoms?

She shook her head. "No...I've never..." Then it struck her that perhaps she should have made it clearer that it was her first time. What if he was expecting someone more experienced? Had he just assumed she'd be on the pill?

More words. She took a deep breath, trying to calm her erratic breathing. He was a good listener, gave her all his attention when she talked, and he was doing it now. Still looking at her with that soulful gaze that told her that her words would be safe with him.

"I've never done this before." It was still hard to say it. How could you get to nineteen and not have done it? "But I really want to do it now. With you Spike. You're the first man who's ever made me want to say these words. I want you inside me. I want you all around me. I want to forget where I end and where you begin."

He was still searching her face in a kind of awe-struck wonder.

"And now look what you've done." She gave a little laugh. "I'm a straight talking American and you've got me spouting poetry like, well, like you."

"Don't sell yourself short love." He leaned his head down so that his forehead was resting on hers. "Have you any idea what those words do to me? I don't care if I'm the first or the last. I just love the way you told me that you want me. Always be that honest with me Buff. It's all I ask."

They both lay still for a moment, each absorbing the other's words. Then Spike kissed her again.

"Are you ready Buff?"

"Yeah, and some."

He rolled over and groped in his bedside table drawer. "Bollocks." The drawer came out of it's runners, the contents scattering on the floor. Spike leaned over and sorted frantically through the mess. "Bollocks, bollocks, bollocks."

Buffy hitched herself up and draped herself over his back, looking down at the things littering the floor. "Don't tell me you don't have..."

"Damn. I was sure there'd be one left. Haven't bought any for a while."

Buffy dropped her head onto his back and giggled, letting go of all the tension that the last few minutes had built up. "Can you go buy some?"

"Not until the supermarket opens at eleven. Sunday opening hours. He looked so disappointed. Buffy hugged him, and he twisted round into her arms.

"Hey, no laughing missy. Fragile male ego issues here."

He tapped her on the end of her nose with his finger, and she caught it in her mouth, sucking at it gently. She let it go and moved on to the next one. "How long till the shop opens?"

"Two hours."

"Two hours, eh?" She lay back and stretched her arms over her head, batting her eyelashes innocently at him. "Now what on earth can we do to fill all that time? Any suggestions?"

"I might just be able to think of some." He was cheering up fast, the sexy grin re-appearing. "How about we start with this."


---------------------------

Two hours later, Buffy lay, completely boneless again, in Spike's bed while he yanked on his jeans. He pulled on the blue shirt she'd been wearing, and leaned down to kiss her again as he did up the buttons.

"Be as quick as I can love. Need anything else while I'm out?"

Buffy was glad she didn't have to leave the bed. His flat wasn't very warm.

"Something nice for breakfast. Waffles, maybe, and, maple syrup. Does that sound good?"

"I'll see what they've got." He walked to the door, then ran back and kissed her again.

She pushed him off. "Go already. The faster you go...know what I'm trying to say?"

"Okay, I'm gone." He grabbed his coat from the chair and disappeared through the door.

"Don't drive too fast," she called out after him. The state he was in, he was likely to be picked up for speeding, and she didn't think that I was rushing back to have sex with my girlfriend, officer would go down too well in his defence.

The front door slammed shut and she was alone. All by herself in her boyfriend's flat. That sounded nice. She snuggled into the quilt and smiled as she remembered just how they'd managed to kill those two hours. He really was very creative, and so, she'd discovered, was she becoming. Of course, he was a very inspirational teacher. She lifted her head as she heard the front door open and close once more. He was never going to get there if he kept coming back for kisses. She wasn't going to give him one, she decided, not until he...

The bedroom door opened and Buffy ducked under the covers, stifling a giggle. Let him find her. She strained to hear him approach the bed, but there was nothing. What on earth was he doing? After a few seconds she peeked out and she came face to face with one of the most beautiful women she had ever seen. And she knew at once that it was Drusilla.

----------------------------

The woman folded her arms and leaned against the door frame.

"Hello, Buffy Summers."

"Drusilla?" Buffy sat up, pulling the quilt with her. What on earth was she doing here? Spike had said they were finished.

"So what story is he using this time?" Dru studied her fingernails, as if she was already bored with the conversation. "The old, my girlfriend doesn't understand me routine? Poor little Spikey."

Buffy felt the hairs on the back of her neck prickling. There was something very scary about Drusilla. She seemed to be looking right through her, almost as if she could read her mind. "What are you doing here? I thought he'd..."

"Finished with me?" Dru laughed. "Naa, he tries. But he never quite means it. You're not the first, you know. He does this. One woman - not enough for my Spike. But I don't mind." She stalked towards the bed. "Never did mind a threesome myself. You're not exactly my type, but hey, beggars can't be choosers."

"Excuse me?" Buffy recoiled slightly as Dru came towards the bed. She wasn't exactly at her fighting best with the being naked and all.

"Dru put her hand on the quilt and gave a little tug. "What's wrong love? Am I scaring you? He always did like easy little wimps like you." She tugged again. "Boo."

That did it. Buffy knew that if she backed down now, the spectre of Drusilla was going to cloud every moment she spent with Spike. She had to stand up and fight for him, even if it quite likely meant that he was going to find the two of them rolling around on the floor, scratching each other's eyes out. She was shaking as she did it, but she managed to slide out of the bed and take the quilt with her, so she at least had a modicum of decency. She shouldered Drusilla out of the way and turned to face her. She was quite a few inches shorter than Dru, and for a few moments she thought her courage was going to fail her, but the image of Spike, and what they'd been doing for the last few hours spurred her on. Dru opened her mouth to speak again but Buffy got in first.

"It's my turn, I think." All the honey had gone from her voice. Now it was pure steel. "Just who the hell do you think you are talking to? No, don't you dare interrupt me. I am the person that emptied a whole mall, by setting off the fire alarm because my dad wouldn't buy me the doll I wanted. They had to mobilise a whole division of Canadian Mounties to find me when I ran away from summer camp, and -I haven't finished yet - I once ate an entire birthday cake, just so my cousins couldn't have any. So don't think you've come anywhere near to scaring me." She had to stop because she needed to take a breather. And, she was pleased to see that Drusilla had actually taken a step back.

"So, you, are going to give me that key," Buffy had just spotted it in Dru's hand. "And you are going to leave me and Spike alone." She held out her hand, wondering what kind of idiot she was going to look like if Dru didn't hand it over. Would she have to fight her for it after all?

Dru looked at her, dumb-struck for a few seconds, then she burst into a high pitched laugh. The keys flew across the room, missing Buffy's head by inches, and then her shoulders sort of slumped. "He used to love me, you know." She looked around the room, as if she was remembering. "He wants to stay friends. They always do, don't they? Want the best of it all, men do." She looked at Buffy again. "We'll never just be friends. Me and Spike, we're like that." She crossed her fingers. "I've got his soul, little one. You'll never have it."

Buffy almost felt sorry for her. She was, after all, fighting for the same thing she was. "You'd better go Drusilla," she said it gently this time. The girl obviously needed help. "Spike'll be back soon, you won't want to be running into him."

"You going to tell him I've been here?"

Buffy thought about that. Spike didn't need to know about this, it would only cause more trouble. This one, she was going to handle by herself. "No. I won't."

Drusilla walked through to the front door. Buffy watched her, still blazing inside from the confrontation. "I just want to make him happy," she called out after her. Wondering why she felt she had to justify this. "He deserves to be happy."

Dru didn't give any indication that she'd heard. The front door slammed and Buffy slumped down on the bed. She'd forgotten what a tiger she could be when she was on the defensive. For a few moments, in that confrontation with Dru, she had been the little girl who never, ever gave up, until she got her own way. Convent school had knocked that out of her, but it was nice to know it was still there when she needed it. Spike wasn't a bone to be fought over, but she was damned if she was going to let Drusilla intimidate her into running away.

Buffy climbed back into bed as she heard the front door open and close once more. Large amounts of adrenaline were still pumping through her. Every nerve ending tingled. She'd almost forgotten what Spike had gone out to buy. But not quite. As he walked into the bedroom she knelt up, letting the quilt fall away, and held out her arms. "Hello lover." The honey-voice was back, only this time a little bit of the steel remained. You could be strong, or you could be weak. Nothing new in that. Only now, she realised that she genuinely had a choice. Spike had told her to take control, and she was. And it felt good.

They didn't break eye contact once as he walked across the bedroom, and put down his package. She knelt up to meet him, as he sat down on the bed, and pressed her lips to his. Her hands went to his shirt buttons and his slid around her bare back.

"Come to back bed, Spike," she whispered between kisses. "I missed you."