Chapter 23

Xander rang Buffy's doorbell, and waited as the light went on in the hall. What the hell was he going to tell her about Spike? He didn't know himself what had happened, only that he'd trawled around all of Dru and Johnny's haunts and there'd been no sign of any of them. Spike could be lying beaten up in some back alley right now, or even worse. What the hell did he tell Buffy?

She answered the door, looking as perky as ever, motioning him into the house.

"It's Xander, Will," she shouted back over her shoulder. "He's early."

He followed her into the kitchen, practising in his mind what he was going to say. Spike's been kidnapped by gangsters. It sounded so bizarre. Things like that just didn't happen. Not where he came from, anyway.

"Grab yourself a beer, and come join us" She pointed to the television room. "It's a bit of a chick-flick, but it's nearly over. Spike's not here yet." She left him to get his beer and rejoined Willow. Xander opened the bottle and followed her, leaning down to peck Willow on the cheek, and then he propped himself on the arm of the chair.

"Er, Buffy, I've got something to tell you."

Willow pulled him down next to her and cuddled up to him. "Can't it wait? We've just got to the really weepy bit. Look, he's about to propose."

Xander watched the screen for a few moments, stealing glances at Buffy, who was curled up on the sofa opposite. She needed to know, and soon. They couldn't just sit here, they had to do something.

"Spike's been kidnapped by gangster - drug - dealers." He hadn't meant to blurt it out quite so loudly and both the girls said shh at the same time, neither of them seeming to have actually taken in what he'd said. They all continued to watch the film for a few more moments, then Buffy looked up at him, her eyes wide.

"What was that?"

"It's Spike. Switch off the telly, this is serious."

Buffy scuttled over to switch off the television while Willow turned her anxious gaze to him.

"What's happened to Spike?" She looked around, as if she'd only just noticed he was missing. Buffy?"

Buffy stared at Xander as if she couldn't quite believe what she was hearing. "Say that again, did you say Spike's been kidnapped? You're joking, right?"

"Big black limo. Waiting for us outside the pub. They just grabbed him."

"But who'd want to kidnap Spike, it just doesn't make any sense?"

Xander looked away. This was all because of Dru, and she was his sister so that made this his fault by association. He knew it wasn't his fault really, but he felt guilty anyway.

It looked as if Buffy had suddenly worked it out too. "It's Dru isn't it? What the hell's she done with my Spike?"

Willow rose and stood by the now-distraught Xander. "It's not Xander's fault, Buffy. I'm sure he did all he could."

Buffy immediately looked contrite. "I didn't mean...tell me what happened. Is he in danger? Oh god, he's in danger."

Xander just stood there, nodding his head and feeling responsible. He'd been totally useless when it had happened. Should have done something.

"Don't panic." He took Buffy's hand and looked into her frightened eyes. "I'm sure he's going to be okay. He'll probably walk through that door any minute now, you know, with the coat and the hair and the, oh god, do you think we should call the police?"

---------------------------------

Spike had no option but to go along quietly. The two suited gentlemen flanking him weren't just big, they were enormous and the best he could hope for was that he'd find an opening and run. He certainly didn't want to take them on in a fight, although he was thinking, with some trepidation, that it might come to that. Was Dru behind this? She couldn't hate him that much, but there was no telling what she was up to these days. He fervently hoped that they were just going to give him a stern talking to on her behalf, but he doubted it.

They'd stopped at a five star hotel in the centre of town and politely asked him to accompany them up to the penthouse suite, sat him down in an armchair, supplied him with a whiskey and then just stood, one on each side of the chair as if they were guarding him. It was all starting to get rather surreal. Spike realised that they were doing the psychological mind games bit. Trying to spook him, soften him up for when whoever was responsible turned up. And it was working. He'd done some wild things in his life but being kidnapped by gangsters was starting to rank pretty high in the new experiences stakes.

The three of them sat in total silence for all of ten minutes. The two 'heavies' didn't say a word, or even move much except to breathe. Spike just sat there, slightly stunned and wondered whether his life should be flashing before his eyes or something. He had no idea how serious this was going to turn out to be, but as time passed he was starting to wonder if he'd ever see Buffy again. It was nearly seven o' clock. Him and Xander should have been at her house by now, and Xander would have gone round and told her what had happened. She'd be frantic.

Suddenly the door to the adjoining room opened and Spike downed the whiskey in one gulp. Here it comes, he thought. He got to his feet to meet the middle-aged man who was making his way towards him and one of the 'heavies' went to push him down, but Spike shook him off.

"What the hell's this about?" he shouted, sounding braver than he actually felt. "You open that sodding door and let me out of here, now."

The middle-aged gentleman extended his hand towards Spike and gave him a restrained smile. "So, you're William Giles, otherwise known as Spike. I believe you know my daughter."

Spike stopped. Everything suddenly clicking in place. He tried not to show the relief he was feeling. Buffy's dad, not Johnny. He wasn't sure if it was much of an improvement on the situation, but at least Buffy's dad probably wasn't going to shoot him and throw him in the river with a concrete block tied to his feet.

His next reaction was anger. Now that he knew he wasn't in any real danger he felt a lot braver, but he knew he had to be careful what he said. Buffy and her dad were close and despite her standing up to him recently there was a lot of history there. He shook hands and looked Mr. Summers squarely in the eye.

"Mr Summers." He needed to say this, and he needed to say it first. No doubt Buffy's dad had a speech prepared too, but Spike knew he'd have the advantage if he got in first.

"I love Buffy and she loves me." God, that sounded like an awful cliche but it was the truth and there was no other way to say it. "Please don't make her go home. She wants to be here with me."

Buffy's dad made no attempt to interrupt him as he spoke, but he had a look on his face that told Spike that he was used to getting his own way, and whatever Spike said it was going to make no difference. His only reply was, "Why don't we ask Buffy?"

----------------------------

"Daddy!" Buffy couldn't believe what she was seeing. Her father, here? He was the last person she'd expected to see when she'd answered the door. She went to fling her arms around him and then she noticed Spike standing behind him. "Spike?" Her eyes moved from her father to Spike. Okay, now she was confused. But not for long. It didn't take much to make the jump from a big black limo to her dad. She dropped her arms and folded them in front of her. "Okay dad, just what's going on?"

"Why don't you invite me in, then you can find out."

Buffy suddenly remembered her manners. "Please," she motioned them indoors, feeling her courage slipping as it always did when her father was involved. She raised her eyebrows at Spike who gave her a brief nod to show that he was okay, then she managed to squeeze his hand without her father noticing. Buffy hurried after her father, who was now in the television room introducing himself to a rather dazed Xander and Willow.

Hank gave the room an approving glance. "I chose well, is everything okay for you?"

"Yeah, come here daddy." Buffy couldn't help it. She had no doubt that she wasn't going to be at all happy with her father when she found out what he'd been up to, but she was pleased to see him now. She gave him a hug and a kiss, but was careful to go and stand back by Spike when she'd done it. Stand by your man, and all that, she thought. And she was, and proud of the fact. She slipped her arm through Spike's and cuddled up to him, watching her father's eyes narrow as she did so. "It's nice to see you 'n'all dad, but why are you here?"

"To see if my little girl's okay, of course." He reached over and lightly caressed her injured cheek. "Who did this?"

"I don't know, daddy. They sorta came out of nowhere. I'm so sorry about the car."

Hank waved his hand as if it was nothing. "Never mind the car, it's you I'm worried about."

Behind him Willow and Xander were making their way surreptitiously to the door. Buffy gave them a wave as they scooted out.

"I told you, I'm alright. Look, why don't we sit down?"

They all sat. Spike hadn't said a word yet, and Buffy couldn't blame him. This was between her and her dad.

"You're coming home with me Buffy." It wasn't a request, more of a command.

"No." Buffy and Spike both spoke together. She squeezed his knee, causing her dad's eyes to narrow even more.

"Is he living here?"

"No, got my own place." Spike sounded insulted at that.

"He's a poet, dad, and he has a computer company, and he's doing okay, and I love him." Buffy stopped for breath. This was hard. Her dad could do an even better hurt -puppy look than Spike, and it got her every time. Except this one. "I want to stay," she looked at Spike, then at her dad, "and I'm going to whether you like it or not."

Hank laughed. "Has she told you what she was like when she was a kid?" This was addressed to Spike. "A lot like this really."

"Daddy!" Buffy felt herself going red. "Spike knows all about me. I've never been this happy. Can't you be happy for me?"

"Not when you're being attacked and having your car stolen. What kind of country is this?"

"It's a lot safer than the States, Mr. Summers. But you do know that kind of thing could happen anywhere." Spike put his arm around Buffy's shoulders and she leaned in to him, grateful of the support he was giving her. Not that she doubted he would, but she had no idea what had passed between him and her father.

"Okay William, or should I call you Spike? Just what are your intentions towards my daughter? She's going to be a very wealthy woman one day. You have to realise why I'm suspicious."

Spike didn't rise to the bait, for which Buffy gave a silent prayer of thanks. She was used to her dad's behaviour, but even to her this was sounding outrageous.

"I've told you how I feel, Mr. Summers. Just wanna make her happy."

"And I am daddy, can't you see that?" She really didn't want to fall out with her dad. Didn't want it to come down to a choice between him and Spike, because she already knew who she'd choose. And it would break her heart.

Hank leaned back and draped his arm casually across the back of the sofa. "So, you're not coming then?"

"No."

"I could take the house."

"I'll move in with Spike." She said it with no hesitation. His only reaction was a slight squeeze of her shoulder where his arm rested.

Her dad gave an even bigger laugh at that. "You, in that place. You wouldn't last a week."

"I've changed, daddy. I've learnt that there are some things in life more important than money. And how do you know where Spike lives? Have you been spying on us?" She felt herself going red again. Just how much did he know? He'd have to find out the extent of her relationship with Spike some time, but it was still embarrassing having your parents confront you about your sex life. No matter how old you were.

Hank turned to Spike. "Do you know how much this girl spends on clothes alone? She'd keep the fashion industry in business by herself. Can you give her all that?"

"No, but that's not really the point, is it?" Spike was starting to sound annoyed, and Buffy really didn't want this to degenerate into name-calling.

"Please, this is getting us nowhere. Daddy, it's nice to see you, but I want to finish this year at least. I'm doing well on this course. Just give me a chance."

Hank thought about it for a moment. "Okay, honey, but you've got to let me set up some security for you. It's obvious you're a target."

"Then I'll never learn to stand on my own two feet. No way, daddy." She hated having to plead with him, but if she didn't have this out now she was never going to grow up. Never going to be free.

"Honey..."

"No. Please don't let's fight. I love you and I don't want you to go home hating me."

"No, Buffy, don't say that. I'd never hate you, you're my..."

"Little girl, I know, " Buffy finished for him. "Look at me daddy, you don't have a little girl any more."

"I will soon."

Buffy's eyes went as wide as saucers. "What did you say?"

"You're going to have a sister, in February."

Buffy sat, stunned. "A sister, but how?"

"The usual way, you know, two people..."

"Daddy!" She couldn't take it in. Didn't even know he had a girlfriend, let alone this. And sex? Her daddy having sex? Could this get more embarrassing? .

"Who? When? I mean, I had no idea you were seeing anyone." Her dad was suddenly looking very pleased with himself.

"My new secretary, Joyce. What, you think only you youngsters are having sex?"

Spike made a small choking noise and Buffy covered her face with her hands. When she peeked out between her fingers, her dad was still grinning, obviously enjoying their discomfort. This was her dad alright. In full flow now, gaining the upper hand, like he always did, by fair means or foul.

She slowly lowered her hands. "A sister. That's..." She didn't really know how she felt about it. Would have loved to have had a sister when she was younger, someone to play with and do things with. If she had, then maybe her and her dad wouldn't have come to depend on each other quite so much. Then it dawned on her that this was just what she'd needed to happen. She wasn't only gaining a sister, she was gaining her independence, at last. With a new baby to look after and be worried about, her dad wouldn't have to invest everything in her anymore. In fact, this was the best thing that could have happened.

She flew across the room and leaped on her dad. "That is wonderful news. When's the wedding?"

"Round about Christmas time, I hope you're coming home for that?" Hank inclined his head towards Spike. "And your boyfriend's invited too."

"You try and stop us." Buffy gave her dad another hug, and then looked back at Spike, who looked as if he was starting to relax at last. Everything was going to be fine, just fine.

-----------------------------------

The wedding took place in December and was a low-key affair as far as the Summers were concerned. Buffy showed Spike all her old haunts, including her old school.

"I can't believe you did that. God, I'd loved to have seen it."

They were standing outside the railings of the grand old buildings, empty now because of the holidays.

"Did you really take them off?"

"Yep." Buffy gave him a very sexy smile. "I could show you." Her hand strayed to the top button of her blouse and Spike's hand shot out to stop her.

"Are you telling me you took your uniforms off and threw them at the nuns?"

"Sure did. Wasn't the ring leader of course, but a bunch of us got together and, well, we were leaving, and it seemed like a good idea at the time."

They strolled back to the car. "And you walked home in your underwear?" Spike was getting a very vivid word picture here.

"No, I didn't walk anywhere. Chauffeur took me home. Nearly had a heart attack when he saw me."

Spike gave her a leery grin. "How about you show me when we get back?"

"In dad's house? I couldn't. You know how I feel about that."

Spike groaned. "It's been four days. I can't stand it any longer. Where's the nearest motel?"

"You're taking me to a motel?" She leaned towards him and traced her finger down his chest. "I like it, come on."

Spike practically carried her to the car, and they spent the afternoon working off their frustration, completely forgetting the cocktail party they were supposed to be attending back at Casa Summers.

------------------------------

"New York?" Willow gave a shriek and jumped into Xander's arms. "New York for Christmas. This is so sweet of you."

Xander spun her around and set her back down. "We can fly out to California to visit your folks, then go on to New York afterwards. What do you say?"

"I'd say you were the most wonderful boyfriend in the world. Thank you, thank you."

Xander blushed at the compliment. "Knew you were missing them, thought you might like to see them, that's all."

"I love you Xander Harris, you do know that, don't you?" She looked at the tickets again to make sure she wasn't dreaming.

"I may be starting to get that impression, ow." He flinched as Willow hit him on the arm, a bit harder than she intended.

"I'm sorry." She frantically kissed it better. "You know I love you, and I do miss my folks, but I'd rather be here with you."

Xander hooked a finger under her chin and raised her face to his. "Glad to hear that Miss Rosenberg, because I am not letting you go."

---------------------

Two weeks later they were standing outside a large department store and Xander was being very unsuccessful in his attempts to get Willow to visit Santa Claus.

"Please come with me, it'll be fun."

Willow pulled a face. "I couldn't. There was this Santa when I was a kid. Well, they had to arrest him..."

"But Will, this will be different, promise." Xander hooked his arm in hers and dragged her into the building, full of the sights and smells of Christmas, and steered her to the top floor that housed 'The Christmas Wonderland Experience.'

Willow practically closed her eyes as they bought tickets and queued with a gaggle of excited children. "I feel silly Xander." She caught the grin on his face. "What is it?"

"Nothing." Xander assumed a casual air. "You'll like it, honest. Look there's Rudolph."

They shuffled through the displays of animated animals and elves, and Xander was mighty relieved to see Willow relaxing at last. He had the mother of all surprises planned for her, and for a moment he thought he wasn't going to be able to get her in the store, let alone into Santa's Grotto. Two families to go and then it was his big moment. Probably the most important thing he'd ever done in his life. He hugged Willow to him and kissed her on the top of her head. "Is this too awful for you?"

"No. It's turning out to be fun." Willow reached up and kissed his cheek. "On my god, there's Santa. She made to shrink behind Xander, but he took her hand and led her to where Santa was sitting. Santa gave him a knowing nod and then Xander went down on one knee. "Willow Rosengberg, I want to ask you something."

Willow looked around for a second as if she was wondering where Xander went, then she looked down. "What are you doing down there?"

Xander cleared his throat and started again. "Will you marry me Will?"

Willow's eyes grew as big as the proverbial saucers. "Are you asking me to..."

"Marry me. I can't live without you. Will you?"

Xander's heart was in his throat as Willow seemed totally lost for words for a moment. She just stared down at him as if he'd grown two heads. Then she sprung into action and pulled him up for a series of kisses which made him want to drag her straight back to their hotel room. In between kisses she just repeated the word yes, yes, yes, over and over again. Santa coughed and handed Xander a small box. "Gonna need this son," he said with a grin.

Xander slipped the ring on Willow's finger as the rest of the queue burst into a round of applause. Then she did the kiss thing again and he grabbed her hand and rushed her back to the hotel as fast as he could. They giggled like schoolchildren in the back of the taxi, stopped for kisses as they climbed the hotel steps and were just making their way to the lift when the woman at the reception desk called them over.

"Mr Harris?"

Xander stopped. "That's me, and I'd like to order the largest bottle of champagne you have in the hotel."

"Thought I recognised you from earlier." She handed him a slip. "There's a message for you sir, it's marked urgent."

"Thanks." Xander took the slip of paper and read it absently as Willow nibbled on his ear.

"Who's it from?"

"It's from dad. Asking me to phone home." A small stab of fear clutched at his heart. "Why would dad want me to phone?"

They rode the lift in silence, the mood dampened by the prospect of whatever Xander's dad had to say. Something that was so urgent he was interrupting their holiday with it.

Xander dialled the number, Willow leaning on his arm, his finger trembling slightly as he punched them in. It had to be grandma. He felt guilty as he wished it. Please let it be grandma. She'd been ill for some time and they were all expecting bad news. If it wasn't grandma that only left his mum and Dru.

It wasn't grandma, or his mum. He put the receiver down and turned to Willow, groping for her and burying his face into her shoulder. "It's Dru. She OD'd this morning." He sniffed back the tears and raised his distraught face to her. "It's bad, Will.. We've got to get hold of Spike."