Chapter 13: Torn

Buffy was never good in school, even before becoming the Slayer she never wanted to spend the time studying when she could be doing things that were fun. Therefore, she wasn’t certain about vocabulary, but she really felt she was the living definition of irony.

Being more content than she could ever remember while trapped thousands of miles from home with her mortal enemy, who had somehow become so much more. The past few days had been the best she’d had in her life and it was all thanks to Spike.

The first morning she woke up in his arms she was so excited to see him sleeping next to her, she attacked him. Several hours later they had emerged to find Solum cooking up some fish.

“I figured y’all ‘ave worked up quite the appetite.” He had told her, gesturing towards the fish. Buffy was certain her face was scarlet, but even the embarrassment couldn’t wipe the smile from her face.

That afternoon Spike has Solum show him the rest of the doorways into the dungeon, there was even one that opened up right next to where they had been dropped in. After much discussion Buffy and Spike decided to go out into the tunnels to see if they could find any nasties to kill.

It had been Spike’s idea. He said they could get a great workout that way, plus the more creatures they killed, the fewer they would have to worry about.

Buffy had been concerned about the centipede creature, but Spike assured her they wouldn’t venture too far from their exits in case it showed up.

She had to admit the idea of violence was appealing.

They had gone out into the tunnels, wandering until they found a large slimy demon that looked like a snake with arms. It turned out to be a challenging and exhilarating fight. Without the desperation that had clouded their previous fights here, Buffy could see how well they worked as a team. Most of the time they didn’t even need to talk, the other would instinctually know what was needed. Not even Angel could keep up with her the way Spike did.

When they returned to their temporary home Spike had washed all the slime off her in the hot tubs before they went to get her some food.

This time Solum had muttered something about “dang bunny rabbits.”

After Buffy ate the three of them sat around and told stories until Solum decided to turn in.

“Ya’ll try and get some sleep tonight, ok?” He said with a wink to both of the. “I know I sure could use some.” He added as he headed off to bed.

Buffy had just rolled her eyes, no longer even embarrassed. “We aren’t that bad are we?”

Spike gave her a look that sent a shiver through her. “Oh, he hasn’t heard anything yet. I plan on making you scream so loud the little birdies in the trees up there waked up.”

They stared at each other for a few more seconds before dashing off to their cavern. Later Buffy swore that even the vampires above them must have heard her cries through the deep rock. It had been an incredible and shocking experience.

Spike had her doing things she never thought were possible.

And she loved every minute of it.

The next morning Solum decided he would get more sleep if he slept through the day while they went out to kill things. He would get up and catch fish after they returned since their antics in the tub usually woke him up.

So their schedule had been set. Some nights they would talk or Spike and Solum would sing. Both actually had beautiful voices, something Buffy would have never guessed. She enjoyed lying with her head in Spike’s lap while he was singing; he would absently play with her hair while she stared at the stars above them, through the vent.

The only problem Buffy had, aside from the whole trapped underground by vampires thing, was the amount of cigarettes Spike was smoking. He was constantly darting off for a quick drag. She could never figure out where he kept all his cigarettes, but he couldn’t have many left unless he had a carton somewhere on him. And that just didn’t seem possible.


Ipwet sat at a large vanity while her minions brushed out her hair. Gathered behind her were several members of the Council who were part of her plans.

“I don’t see how this is doing any good at all. They appear out of nowhere, kill things, and then disappear again. Matsema is only getting infuriated.”

“Yes, but every vampire he’s sent down after them has been killed within hours and they’ve survived over a week.” Ipwet tried to keep patient, but these idiots made it difficult. “Soon I plan to suggest he send down one of the Old Ones, Baraqel perhaps, and when he is dispatched as easily Matsema will have to acknowledge William’s skill. He will have no choice but to release him and give him the Aurelian Order.”

“I still don’t understand what makes you think you’ll have any better control over him than the others have.” Snapped Rangda.

Ipwet smiled coldly. “Because I know what William’s weakness is. Women. How long did he stay with that mad creature, Drusilla, for love?” The word dripped like venom off her lips. I have been very careful to flatter him and express my admiration for him. He will believe me everything his sire never was for him. And I will be able to control him through his ‘love’ for me.”

“And what about the Slayer?”

Ipwet licked her lips. “He has agreed to share her.”


Spike sat next to the dark pool of water. Right next to him ran a beam of sunlight from the vent above. He stared at it, lost in his thoughts. Next to him laid the crystal.

He reached out his fingertips lightly caressing the air around the beam of light. He could feel the heat contained in it, but knew that if he came into direct contact with it that heat would destroy him.

Just like Buffy.

It was incredible that one being could cause him the greatest bliss he’d ever know and the greatest anguish. When he was lying with her, holding her in his arms he knew happiness and peace, but when they left the sanctuary of each other he remember who and what they were.

Enemies.

He had followed Ipwet’s suggestions and started venturing back out into the tunnels. He would take Buffy and together they would make a big show of killing things, which they were very good at, and then disappear again before Matsema’s guards could catch them.

Ipwet swore that Matsema’s opinion of him was changing. She claimed it was only a matter of days before he was pardoned.

And then what?

Should he take what she offered and leave? Should he abandon Buffy and Solum? What hope did they honestly have if he didn’t take this chance?

And what did this relationship between the two of them mean to Buffy?

He hated those questions most of all. Why should he care what it meant to her? It shouldn’t mean anything to him. Sure, she was a magnificent fighter and he didn’t think ever met anyone who could hold a candle to her in bed. (And what he wouldn’t give for a couple of candles so he could teach her some fun with candle wax.)

This was the SLAYER. She was still the one who put him in that wheel chair. The one who let Angelus go free.

A voice inside him whispered.

Spike punched the rock he was sitting on so hard it cracked.

This was bloody ridiculous!!

”Spike?” He jerked at the sound of her voice. “Spike are you here?”

“Yeah, luv.” He answered.

“Are you almost through with that cancer stick?” She followed her voice around the bend in the tunnel.

“Yeah.”

“Good. Are you ready to get out there and kill stuff?”

“Sure.”

“What’s wrong? You sound all wonky.”

He shook his head at her made up words and looked at her. It was incredible how she seemed to blossom in this situation, but she did. Her eyes sparkled in the torch light and her cheeks held a healthy pink glow. Her mouth had the makings of a smile, even when she wasn’t smiling. Spike had never seen her look so alive and beautiful.

“Nothing pet. I’m just almost out of smokes, is all.” The lie came easily; he would have thought it would be harder.

“Oh, poor little Spikey.” Once he would have considered her tone cruel and mocking, now it was teasing and light. “Guess I’ll just have to come up with other ways for you to take out your frustrations.” She continued.

Spike couldn’t help but fall under her spell, the innocent, yet sultry way she had of saying things like that captivated him more than any thrall ever could. “What did you have in mind, pet?

“Uh-uh. First we kill stuff, then I’ll show you.” She favored him with a devastating smile. He had no choice but follow her.


Upstairs things were in an uproar.

“Sire how can you do this?” Baraqel demanded.

“My mind is made up.” Matsema replied.

“But to give such a high seat to one so young…”

”It is my decision to make and I have made it.” Matsema snapped. “Ipwet shall move up in the Council. She shall take a seat farther up and have more power for it.”

“But why Master?” Baraqel persisted, even knowing how dangerous it was. He was further infuriated when it was Ipwet who responded.

”You Old Ones have monopolized the Council for too long. It is time to get some fresh blood and fresh ideas in here.”

“If you had your way, we would let the prisoner sit on the Council as well.” Baraqel growled.

“Yes, I would.” Ipwet said, not backing down in the face of the older vampire’s wrath. “I believe him to be stronger than the rest of you who do nothing, but sit and let your minions bring your food. William is strong and courageous. He is not afraid to take risks and thinks outside of the constraints you set for yourselves.”

“Sire, that is close to blasphemy. She is questioning your decree.” Baraqel snarled.

“Yes, it is.” Matsema answered.

Ipwet felt fear that maybe she had gone too far. Maybe it was too soon to push this.

“However, she also has a point. When was the last time you fought for your food? When was the last time you even ventured out into the world? Maybe it is time for us to get a fresh perspective.”

Baraqel was too furious now to even consider his words before he spoke. “You just want to cover your failure to get rid of the prisoner.” This was what Ipwet had been waiting for.

“You dare.” Matsema began.

”Sire” Ipwet interrupted smoothly. Everyone was shocked at her audacity to cut off the Master. “If he feels this way maybe you should send him down in the dungeon to take care of William himself. If he is correct than he shall be able to dispatch him quickly. If not, than maybe William is the vampire to take over the Aurelian line…” She paused for effect. “…And maybe Baraqel’s line as well.”

“You impertinent slut.” Baraqel rose to come and strike her.

“ENOUGH!!” Matsema yelled. “I will not have this Council turned into a circus.” Everyone sat and was quiet. For a long moment Matsema said nothing, thinking quietly to himself.

“Baraqel.”

“Yes, Sire.”

“You may enter the Garden to hunt the prisoner. If he defeats you, then it shall be as Ipwet says. If you defeat him, then you shall have the power of the Aurelian Order.”

Baraqel sat there in shock; fear and hunger were evident on his face. “As you command, Sire.”

Without another word he got up and left.

It took all of her concentration for Ipwet to hide the smile that wanted to peak out.


“There isn’t anything out today.” Buffy complained.

“Well, it isn’t like the demons could go anywhere else. They are as trapped in here as we are.”

“Where are they then?”

Spike couldn’t help the smile. He had often suspected that Slayers craved the violence as much as vampires, but being around Buffy proved it. She loved a good brawl as much as he did. She reveled in the power contained within her, especially here when she didn’t feel the pressure to act like the good little schoolgirl she was supposed to be.

No, his girl liked to get dirty.

He shook his head. She wasn’t his girl.

“Oh my god.” The tone in her voice pulled Spike out of his thoughts.

“What would do something like this?”

Up ahead was a demon, lying dead on the ground. What ever found it had ripped its head from its body almost cleanly. In all the time they’d spent down here they never found any evidence that the demons were killing each other for anything other than food. And when you killed something for food you didn’t leave this much of it behind.

“Something else is down here with us.” Spike said slowly. He extended his senses outward trying to determine what it was.

“Another prisoner?” Buffy asked.

“No, you’re executioner.”

Spike spun around and came face to face with a vampire, but not just any vampire. From the power that radiated off him Spike could tell this was one of the Old Ones. This vampire had probably been around at the time of Christ.

“I thought we were sentenced to imprisonment.” Spike said. He had already changed into game face and crouched defensively. He saw Buffy had her stake out, ready to attack.

“Yes, but you wouldn’t die like you were supposed to. And you teamed up with the Slayer. Not exactly playing fair.” The vampire made no move to indicate he was worried about their presence and there was no reason it should. Spike had fought a lot of vampires in his existence, but never one this old. He didn’t think he could handle one this old even with Buffy by his side.

“So they sent you down to finish the job.” Buffy said.

“First they sent down the regular guards, but they were destroyed before they even located you two. Now the Master has sent me. When I destroy you, I will have the control over the Aurelian Order.”

Spike slid back slightly. He wanted to grab Buffy and make a run for it. There was no way he was going to fight this vampire.

“STOP!” The order was given in a Sire’s voice and Spike was frozen. Inside he fought against the order, suddenly terrified for Buffy’s fate, but no one had ever been able to throw off the order of an Old One.

Buffy realized what happened immediately. “That isn’t exactly playing fair, now is it?”

Spike gave her points for bravery, her voice didn’t even shake, but she had to be scared. No Slayer had ever been able to take one of the Old Ones.

“I’m a vampire, little girl. We don’t play fair.”

Buffy turned as if to run away and the vampire started to leap after her, only instead of running she continued to turn. The vampire over shot and as he did she managed to get a kick in to his stomach. She tried to drive the stake into his heart right after that, but he recovered more quickly than she anticipated and only drove it into his shoulder.
They faced each other again after he stood up. Baraqel looked down at the wound. “Very nice, you managed to draw blood. Now you will die.”

Buffy never even had a chance to defend herself before he was on her, his fangs buried in her neck. Spike heard her head hit a rock as they fell and could see from the way she was laying that she had been knocked unconscious. Baraqel didn’t finish her right then. Instead her turned back to Spike.

“I’m going to take her back up with me. She will make a nice gift for the Master.” He picked up the stake Buffy had dropped to the ground. “First I need to take care of you.”

Spike’s eyes were focused on Buffy as worry over her fate consumed him. Baraqel followed his gaze, laughing when he realized that Spike was actually worried about the Slayer.

“Oh, that is rich. You actually care for that.” Disgust dripped from his voice. “You are a disgrace to our kind.” Spike didn’t even twitch his gaze still locked on Buffy’s unmoving form as he tried to break the control the other vampire had on him.

“Don’t worry, boy.” Baraqel continued as he stalked closer to Spike. “I’ll make sure she’s taken care of. Maybe we’ll all get a chance to use her before we drain her. Make her scream and cry.” He grinned evilly.

Rage filled Spike, it filled his demon and at that moment the demon threw off any obedience it owed to its kind. This vampire was talking about defiling something that belonged to him and that was NOT allowed.

With a roar Spike broke the hold Baraqel had over him. He punched him soundly in the jaw. Baraqel staggered, but it wasn’t enough to knock him down. “STOP” He tried again to use the Sire’s voice, but Spike took no notice of him. He punched him again and again and again. He kept punching the older vampire driving him back and not giving him a chance to strike back. He kept at him until he had him back up against the wall of the cavern. The illuminated moss making the Old One’s skin look even more sallow.

“She is mine.” Spike growled.

Through the veil of blood that now covered his face Baraqel laughed. “No, I believe she belongs to that now.”

Spike turned his head to see the centipede creature over Buffy feeding off of her. Spike grabbed Baraqel and threw the other vampire at the creature, knocking it off of Buffy. Baraqel lay stunned, but the centipede immediately headed back to Buffy. Spike grabbed the stake from where Baraqel had dropped it and ran to Buffy’s side.

He gathered her up in his arms and jumped over the creature as it came near them. He landed close to Baraqel who was just beginning to come to. When Baraqel opened his eyes the last thing he saw was Spike kneeling over him with Buffy thrown over his shoulder. Then the stake descended and Baraqel was dust.

Spike took off with Buffy in his arms heading for their sanctuary; he never looked back because he knew the creature was following them.