Author's Chapter Notes:
Only two more chapters after this one. It should be finished by this weekend. Let me know what you think!!
Chapter 20: Betrayal

Spike ran the whole way back without stopping; the only time he paused was to slide the boulder hiding their sanctuary in and out of place. Solum was already up when he came running in.

“What’s happened?” He asked when he was Spike with the unconscious Slayer.

“Go make sure the boulder is tight against the rock.” Spike yelled to him heading straight for their room.

“Is something after you?” Solum yelled back to him.

“It will be if the cave isn’t shut tight.”

Solum took off quickly while Spike carried Buffy to their bed and laid her down.

He wiped the hair away from her face talking softly to her the entire time.

“Come on, Slayer, you’re stronger than this.” He watched nervously for any sign she heard him. “Buffy wake up now, luv.” Still nothing. “What’s the matter Slayer did the bug get your tongue? Wake up now.” He didn’t notice the pleading note that entered his voice. “Please Buffy. Please be ok.”

How long he sat there like that talking to her, he didn’t know. Solum came back and told him that yes the entrance was secure, but there was something moving on the other side. So Solum dug up into the ceiling of the tunnel and caused a cave in near the entrance.

“Ain’t nothing comin in through thar.” He laughed. “Unless it eats rocks. Know what I mean?” When Spike stared at him blankly he looked at the ground uncomfortably.

“Is there anything I can do?” Solum asked.

”Maybe a cool rag. She feels kind of warm and I don’t want to leave her.”

“I can handle that. That I can handle.”

“Thanks Mate.” Spike gave him a ghost of a smile.

When he returned with the rag, Spike applied it to her forehead, all the while entreating her to wake up. After a while Solum left him alone unable to watch his vigil.

Finally at some point Spike fell asleep, kneeling next to their bed, his head bowed to her chest. To someone who didn’t know what he was, it would seem he was praying.


“Uhhh,” A growling moan, began to wake Spike. “Oh damn.” He raised his bleary eyes and met Buffy’s. “What was that vamp packing? A freight train?”

“Buffy?” Spike whispered.

“I think so. The jury’s still out.”

“You’re all right.” Spike sat back as she struggled to sit upright.

“I’m not so sure. I feel like I drank a bottle of tequila then fell down a flight of stairs onto Mike Tyson.”

Spike smiled wide. “You must be feeling better because you aren’t making any sense. Mike Tyson?”

“Yeah, cuz he’d be all hard and lumpy. Especially if you landed on him while you were drunk.”

Spike grabbed her and kissed her deeply.

“Mmm. That helped me feel better.” She smiled. “More please.”

Spike kissed her until she had to breathe and only then did he release her.

“I’m so glad you’re all right. You had me almost worried there for minute.” He told her earnestly.

She smiled at him again, and then got a confused look on her face. “How am I ok? The last thing I remember was you being all frozen guy.”

“I managed to break his hold over me.”

“How did you do that? I thought you had to obey older vampires, like that? Like its in your genes or something?” Her nose scrunched as she tried to puzzle out if demons would have genetics.

Spike, meanwhile, also wondered how he could break the Old One’s command. It shouldn’t be possible. There was no way he should be strong enough to fight something like that.

But obviously he was.

He gave Buffy his cockiest grin. “What can I say? I’ve always been a rebel.”

Instead of the usual eye roll and teasing at his bravado, this time Buffy leaned up and quickly ran her tongue over his bottom lip.

“Is that so?” She breathed. She watched his eyes darken in a way that now familiar to her. She quickly scooted back and removed her shirt. She knew that when he got THAT look she better get it off fast, even as torn and tattered as it was it was the only clothing she had and she didn’t need him to rip it off her in his lust.

Solum entered the their room a little while later. “Has there been any chan…” His voice trailed off as he caught sight of the two of them. He tilted his head to one side, then the other. “Now how is that even possible?” He asked, and then quickly ducked out again when an unlit torch came flying towards him.


Afterwards, Spike couldn’t say what made him do it.

Was it the thrill of besting one of the oldest vampires still around? Was it the fear he felt at seeing Buffy almost killed?

Either way it had been a mistake. A colossal one.


They were laying together kissing, just enjoying the feel of the other one pressed close, when Buffy’s stomach growled.

She giggled. “And there it is again.”

Spike smiled, happily. “Time for more fish.”

Buffy screwed up her face. “As happy as I am to have it, if we ever get out of here, I’m never touching fish again.”

They both laughed, but Spike’s mind also took it to another place.

“And what about me?” He tried to keep his voice light, but was unable to meet her eyes.

At first she didn’t catch on, or pretended not to. “You don’t eat the fish.” She said with an eye roll.

“No, I mean after we get out of here will you ever touch me again?’

Buffy opened her mouth, probably to answer with some witty, teasing remark, but then she noticed his tone and demeanor and the words froze in her throat.

Spike with her. In Sunnydale.

She never considered it. Never even let such thoughts enter her brain.

Sunnydale was different. She was different there.

And Spike…

He was a killer. He had to know she couldn’t let him kill. Or did he plan to keep feeding off of her?

Angel and Giles would kill him. Xander would try to kill him.

Buffy watched his face close off as her mind tried to work out what to say.

He cared about her. The realization struck her like a thunderbolt, shocking her and yet not, especially after her dream of him.

Did she care about him? Could she let herself admit it if she did? He had to hear her heart speed up as she asked herself that question.

“Forget it, Slayer.” Spike stood up, humiliated and hurt by her complete lack of response.

Buffy’s mind went into full-blown panic mode as she tried to find the words. “Wait Spike, we have to talk about this.”

“I didn’t know it needed a long discussion.” He pulled on his pants. “It was a simple question.” His jaw tightened.

“But its not.” She said desperately. “I’m the Slayer and you’re a vampire.”

“Really? Gee, I never noticed. Good thing that’s never happened before.”

“That was different. You killed people…” She stopped realizing Angel had killed people as well. “…More recently.” She finished lamely.

Spike shook his head and finished fastening his pants. He turned to walk out. Buffy’s mouth moved before her brain registered what she was staying. She just wanted him to stop.

“They’d kill you. Angel, Giles. Even my friends. They’d never accept it.” As soon as the words were out, she wanted them back. Mentioning Angel right now was NOT the best idea.

Spike stopped and she saw him visibly tense.

“I need to get out of here for a while.” His voice was pitched low, but there was no mistaking the fury in it.

“Spike.” Buffy whispered, wanting to make everything right again, but he walked out without a backwards glance.



Now Spike was walking out in the Garden by himself. He managed to get in a few good battles, but nothing would take the edge off his anger.

The look of total shock on her face summed it up quite nicely. She never even though about the possibility of the two of them together outside of this prison.

‘Well, why should she when she had Angel to go back to?’ A voice in his head whispered. ‘Think about all the things you’ve taught her that she can show him.’

Spike snarled. He had been unable to reign in his demon since Angel’s name had crossed her lips. He knew he had to get away from her before he killed her.

He stopped and looked up. Up ahead he could feel power. Old power. He smiled through his fangs. They wanted to send more vampires down here to kill him?

Good. He was up to the challenge.


Buffy crept out of the room. As she approached the pool she saw no signs of Spike, but Solum sat near the water, cooking up some fish. He smiled when she walked up. “I got these for you.”

“Solum, have you seen Spike?”

“He went tearing out of here a while ago. I jes figured he was going out after whatever had attacked you before. Are you feeling all right now?”

“I’m ok. I thought he killed the vamp that attacked us.”

“He may have, darlin’, but he made me block up the entrance ya’ll usually come through.” Solum shivered. “I could hear it crawlin’ on the other side. Once these Ugallu demons get a taste of you, they don’t ever stop.”

Buffy suddenly remembered the cold feeling that had enveloped her while she was unconscious. It must have been that centipede creature. It must have attacked her while Spike was fighting the vampire.

“Spike went after it?” She asked incredulously.

“I think so.”

“We have to go after him.” Buffy exclaimed.

“We?” Solum asked. “Honey, I’m a lover, not a fighter. Although, I haven’t been much of lover lately, unless you count self love.”

“Eewww!!” Buffy exclaimed. “TMI.” She shook her head. “If Spike went after that thing he’ll need all the help he can get. Now come on.”

Solum shrugged and followed after her. They both stopped to pick up some large limbs to use as weapons before heading off down the tunnels.

They didn’t get too far before they came to the beginning of the cave in Solum created. “Well, I guess he didn’t go out this way.” Buffy said thoughtfully.

“No I don’t guess he could.”

“What’s that noise?”

“What noise?”

“Shhh.” It sounded like fluttering moths.

Buffy leaned her head forward to put her ear next to one of the rocks when it jumped off the pile and landed at her feet. Out of the hole it had been in popped out the extended eye tentacle of the Ugallu.

“Damn. How did it get through all that?”

Buffy spun and grabbed his arm. She took off running, dragging Solum with her. “I’m not waiting around to ask it.”

“We have to find Spike.” She said urgently.

“We have to find some place safe.”

“Not until we find Spike.” Buffy insisted.

“Well, I guess there is a better chance of that.” Solum admitted.

They ran back into the main cavern and stopped at the edge of the pool to catch their breath.

“Can we trap it somehow?”

Solum shook his head no. “That was one of my best cave ins and it made it through there in a few hours.”

“There has to be some way to stop it.”

“None that I know of.”

Buffy gritted her teeth. Where the hell was Spike, he was always good at thinking on his feet.

Solum whistled. “That thing sure does travel fast.” Buffy looked up and watched as the centipede creature crawled out of the tunnel heading towards her.

“We have to move.”

”Where?”

“I don’t know. Just move.”

“That sounds like a well thought out plan.” Solum said before Buffy pulled him into motion.

They ran towards one of the other tunnels, just as Spike stepped out.

“Spike, thank god. The centipede creature’s here. Its…” Then Buffy felt the group of vampires that emerged behind him, including the skank from upstairs.

“Spike, what’s going on?” She asked. Behind her Solum began to back away looking for a way to escape.

“Truce is over, Slayer.” Spike said before hitting her soundly on the head, knocking her out.

“That wasn’t so hard.” Ipwet purred clutching his arm. “You can kill him.” She told the other’s pointing to Solum.

“No.” Spike ordered when they jumped forward. “Don’t kill him. Bring him with us.”

Two of the vampires grabbed Solum, pulling him forward while another two picked up Buffy.

“You’re a real piece of shit.” Solum spat at Spike when they drug him past.

It was then that Spike noticed the Ugallu moving across the ceiling towards them. “Better get a move on. That thing’s after our dinner.”