Author's Chapter Notes:
See end of Chap
Chapter 15: Power

Buffy woke up in a cold cell. She could feel every rock in her back and the dampness soaking into her bones.

How did she get her?

Spike.

He had betrayed her.

She jumped up, ignoring the throbbing in her head and began to look for a way out.

“Its no use, we’re sealed in here tighter than a firefly in a mason jar.” Buffy looked out through the bars of her cell to see Solum in the cell across from her, sitting on a cot and studying the floor intently.

“What?” She asked in irritation, the surprise she felt at seeing Solum was eclipsed by her fury at Spike.

“There’s no way out. I can’t even dig through this stuff.”

“Great. What are they planning on doing with us?”

“I don’t know about me, but you’re going to be the main course after the big ceremony tonight. They’ve all been in here looking you over.”

Buffy fought the nausea that his words brought.

“What ceremony?’

“Seems your boyfriend’s moved up in the world. Gonna be the number two vamp on the Council.

Spike betrayed her to sit on the Council? She couldn’t believe it.

Unaware of her thoughts Solum continued. “And here I thought he really loved you.”

Buffy closed her eyes. “He might have.” She said quietly.

Solum looked up at her. “What d’ya mean?”

Buffy sighed. “Before he left he wanted to know if we had a future outside of this.”

Solum snorted. “And I’m guessing you told him ‘no’.”

“I don’t know how I feel about him.” Buffy protested. “But I know my friends…”

“Your friends?” Solum interrupted giving her a strange look. “What do they have to do with anything?”

“They hate Spike. He’s always trying to kill them.”

“And if he wasn’t trying to kill them?”

“They’d still hate him. And Angel. Angel would try to kill him.”

“Who’s Angel?”

Buffy got very flustered. “Spike’s sire, or grand sire. My Ex.”

Solum muttered something that sounded like. “Girl gets around.” Out loud he said. “And you don’t think Spike could take him?”

“Maybe.” Buffy paused a second. “Probably.” Then she thought of the Old One he’d killed. “Definitely.”

“So what’s the problem? They’d all eventually have to accept him, at least they’d have to accept your feelings for him.”

“You don’t know my friends.”

Solum stared at her. “You aren’t the brightest candle on the lamp, are you?” He lay back on the cot he was sitting on.

“Well, at least you were right in one thing.” He said.

“What’s that?” Buffy asked.

“You obviously don’t love him.” Buffy turned away. “I mean if you did, you wouldn’t care what all these other people thought.” He rolled over as if to get some sleep. “I wouldn’t worry too much about it, though. It’s only going to cost us our lives.”

A tear ran down Buffy’s face as shame coursed through her.


“These clothes are bloody ridiculous.” Spike complained, looking down at himself.

“I think they look sexy on you.” Ipwet said from her perch behind him.

Spike shot her a look but refrained from telling her how ridiculous she was.

Spike had managed to get them to take away the robes she’d wanted him to wear at first. Then they tried to put him in some weird black leather number, but he’d sent that away as well. Now they had him in some black baggy pants and a white poofy shirt. He had to look like the biggest pansy in history.

“Why can’t I just wear my own damn clothes?” Spike asked as he tore the shirt off.

“You mean the filthy black pants we had to burn?”

“And my coat. I took that coat off a Slayer. It should be a symbol to the Council. Show them exactly who they’re dealing with.”

“What coat? You didn’t have a coat when we found you.”

“Oh, Bloody Hell.” Spike swore. “Its probably still down there. I’ll have to go get it.”

Ipwet stood up to stop him. “Wait a minute. We have minions to do these things for us. You don’t want to endanger yourself by returning to the Garden.”

“I managed to survive for a good long while, I think I can handle it for a few minutes.” Spike went to go around her, but again she stopped him.

“We can’t risk you. You are too important to our plan.”

That got Spike’s attention. “What do you mean? I thought getting me out and on the Council was the plan?”

Ipwet gave him an enigmatic smile. “I’ll get the minions to fetch your coat while I explain it to you. Where is it?”

“Its in a small cavern behind the big one with the pool. It’s the one Buffy and I…” He trailed off.

Ipwet immediately knew what he didn’t say. Her smile grew calculating, but he didn’t notice. She’d had her suspicions about their relationship, but now she was certain. He really was just a sucker for any female. She was going to use this knowledge to its full advantage. He wasn’t going to stand a chance against her.

She stepped out into the hall, stopped the first minion she saw and ordered him to go and fetch Spike’s coat out of the Garden. She could see the fear in his eyes, but he didn’t dare refuse her.

Spike was waiting for her when she entered his rooms again.

“Now what’s this plan?” He asked suspiciously.

Ipwet straightened up and prepared to give him her best pitch.

“For centuries now several of us have known that we really shouldn’t have to live the way we do. We should rule the humans; they should be like our cattle or slaves. We have hidden in the shadows of the dark for too long. Once you have the powers of the Aurelian clan and the Baraqel clan, the balance of power will shift. We can oust Matsema and live as we were meant to.”

“That’s your big plan?” Spike laughed. “And do you think the humans will just allow you to herd them into slavery?”

Ipwet quickly hid her disappointment at his lack of enthusiasm. Evidently she was going to have to persuade him a different way. She eyed up his lean frame as he searched for a different shirt to wear.

“With the power of the Council behind us, I don’t think the humans have a chance.”

“Then you underestimate them.” Spike answered “And you are forgetting one thing.”

“What’s that?”

“The Watcher’s Council and the Slayer. The won’t let you get away with all this.”

“We have the Slayer and I have plans for her.”

Spike stopped digging through the clothes, but didn’t say anything.

“I though she could be our personal little lap dog. We don’t want to kill her because we don’t want another one called, we just want to drain her enough to keep her weak and in chains.”

“I think you underestimate her.” Spike voice was stiff. “She’d die before she let that happen.” Spike pulled out a cigarette from one of the packs one of the others had given him.

“Then we’ll have to give her some incentive, won’t we?” Ipwet pretended to think. “I know. We’ll capture Angelus. With him in our custody she wouldn’t dare act up. I’ve heard she’d do anything for her true love.”

She watched as Spike almost snapped the cigarette in half.

“There’s more than one Slayer now, you know.” Spike tried to change the subject of Buffy and Angel.

“Ah, yes. The other Slayer, she’s already walking the line of darkness. It won’t take much to bring her to our side.”

Spike didn’t say anything.

“Well, what do you think?” Ipwet asked.

“I think you just may be as crazy as Dru.” He snorted. Ipwet was unperturbed.

She walked over to him slowly, swaying her hips as she moved and running a hand down in between her breasts.

“Drusilla never loved you, did she? Always putting Angelus first. Now the Slayer does the same thing. What better use of your new powers than to put those in the places that never appreciated you?” She ran her hands over his arms watching his as he stared at her mistrustfully. “You have so much strength William. I can see how far you can go. Together we can rule this world.” She paused. “Haven’t you ever wondered what it would be like to be with someone as devoted to you as you are to the?” She could see her words affecting him. The mistrust slowly being replaced with the beginnings of interest and lust.

“I’ve admired you for years.” Her hands began to caress his chest. “I’ve fought for you to come into the power you deserve. I believe in your gifts.” She leaned up and kissed him. He didn’t exactly return her kiss, but he didn’t push her away. “All I ask is that you let me stand beside you. Let me be your partner.” Her hands slipped lower. “Your lover.” Spike hissed through his teeth in pleasure. She leaned forward for another kiss. “Your mate.” She murmured before her lips met his.

Spike pulled back in surprise. “Mate?”

“Is it so surprising I would want to share eternity with such a magnificent creature like you?”

“No one else ever…” Spike started.

Ipwet put a finger against his lips. “No one else sees you the way I do.”

Spike kissed her finger. It took all of her acting skills not to laugh out loud. It was all too easy.


Meanwhile, the minion had gathered up its courage and was prepared to descend into the Garden. He chanted in a demonic tongue and the fog formed a solid platform to take them below. It took two trips since there were so many of them. The first minion heard about what happened to others that had tried to enter into the Garden so he took almost twenty-five others with him. He was hoping to find safety in numbers.


Spike sat alone in the rooms that had been given to him. It had taken him a while, but he finally managed to get rid of Ipwet.

The vampiress had been determined to initiate a mating claim right there and then. Spike got her to leave off on that by telling her that he wanted to wait until he received his power because only then would he be worth of her. After that she offered him her body and then a blowjob ‘to take the edge off’ before the ceremony.

Spike had refused all of these, although the blowjob was almost tempting.

The truth was he wanted time to think before everything started happening.

On the surface what he was being offered was like a fairy tale for vampires. A chance at unbelievable power, a beautiful, cruel and vicious vampiress for a mate, and all the respect he had been denied up to this point.

However, he knew from experience that when you just went along with events as they were happening, you very often wound up trapped in a prison of your own making.

Ipwet’s plan for world domination was laughable at best. Spike knew that the humans would rise up against them and while they were immortal, their weaknesses had been widely publicized since Bram Stoker wrote about that idiot Dracula.

The idea of taking control of the Council did have its merits, although Spike wasn’t too sure that they would be able to roust Matsema from power. His power came from the ages and Spike doubted event he Creator himself, would stand against Matsema without being thoroughly prepared.

Then there was the question of Buffy. There was no way he would keep her as lap dog, watching her pine for her beloved Angel. Just the thought of that made his rage start to boil once again.

He had been surprised when he betrayed her that he didn’t get the sense of satisfaction he had been looking for. Instead what he got was a vague feeling of shame.

He had announced when he was brought up that he would offer her up as the celebratory feast after the ceremony. A gesture that had been met with cheers. However, now he wasn’t sure he wanted all the others to get a taste of her, no matter how much it improved his status with them.

He wouldn’t…couldn’t let her go. It was out of the question. So what to do with her? He couldn’t just keep her either. She already was basically admitted to using him and after this she would despise him for betraying her.

If only he could make her understand the way it was. Make her understand him. Make her like him.

His eyes widened and he burst out laughing.

Of course.

Why didn’t he see it before?

He would make her like him. He would turn her.


Of the twenty-five that went down into the Garden only three remained and they were racing for the exit while the others were ripped apart by a large demon that had found them. The screams helped push them onward.

It was with great relief they reached the shaft that would return them to the dungeon overhead.

One of them quickly recited the incantation and they began to rise just as the demon entered into the cavern they were in. It roared up at them, but they were out of its reach.

They were so intent on looking down at their pursuer they never looked up at what waited for them.

When they were almost to the ceiling of the Garden the Ugallu demon dropped down on them from above. One vampire was so startled he fell off and into the waiting jaws of the creature below.

The other two struggled to keep their balance, but one of them fell down and wound up being decapitated as they pass an outcropping of rock. The Ugallu pushed off the last one, its scream echoed through the cavern.

Had anyone upstairs been paying attention in the conference room they could have put a stop to it, but they were all too busy preparing for the ceremony.

When the fog reached the floor of the dungeon the Ugallu didn’t even hesitate, it just continued its search for the powerful life force it had gotten to taste twice now.

It could feel it nearer now.

It was only a matter of time.

On the floor behind it Spike’s coat lay in a heap.



When the door to her cage was opened Buffy bounced up on her feet.

Spike entered first dressed in a tight fitting pair of black pants and no shirt. Her first thought was how delicious he looked, and then she noticed the five guards who were flanking him.

“Afraid to take me on yourself?” She asked trying to keep her voice light and teasing, still hoping this was all a game to set them free.

“I don’t have the time to deal with you right now.” He answered coldly.

Buffy let her gaze linger on him. “Spike, please let me explain. You didn’t give me a chance to explain before.”

“Sorry, luv. Got things to do.” He smiled coldly. “Important things.” He motioned for the guards to grab her. They were all surprised when she didn’t struggle; all of her attention was focused on him. “Going to make it easy for us? Didn’t know you already had a death wish.”

“Spike, I don’t love him anymore.” She told him earnestly.

Whatever reaction she had been hoping for she didn’t get it, instead he walked forward and slapped her soundly.

“Gag her. I don’t want another word to escape her lips.”

“Spike!! Dammit listen to me.” Buffy demanded. She finally started struggling against her captors, but it was too late, their hold was too tight.

“What do you want us to gag her with?” The guards looked around and found nothing.

“Dammit Spike.”

Spike stepped forward and ripped the t-shirt from her body leaving her naked. Buffy struggled even harder. “You won’t need this anymore.”

He ripped it to shreds and forced a section into her mouth, almost getting his finger bitten off in the process and bound it behind her head.

“Let’s go. I don’t want to keep them waiting.” He said then walked out of the cell leaving them to drag her behind.

The room they took her to was a different room than she had first been brought to. The floor was a polished black marble that was so smooth and shiny it looked like a black pool.

Buffy felt the power of all the Old Ones and felt the panic began to set into her. She tried desperately to get free, but the combined strength of her captors was like steel.

She was vaguely aware of the clapping and cheers when Spike entered the room behind her. She was ushered up to a large black dais, made of the same black marble. Matsema sat on a throne in the middle of it, off to his right stood Ipwet. The panic inside of her was replaced by rage and anger at the sight of the vampiress. She jerked her arms and managed to free one of them, using it to knock two more off of her.

Unfortunately Spike was on her in a second, causing her to almost sob in frustration. The diet of Slayer blood he had been on him made him much stronger than her and he quickly subdued her, holding her arms painfully behind her back.

“None of that Slayer. There’s still fun and games to be had.” When she tried to throw her head back at him, he only laughed.

“Don’t worry. You’ll love it.”

Buffy tried to fight him as he propelled her forward, but it was no use. She soon found herself hanging from a rack with a large marble base.

“Feel free to struggle all you like. You won’t break through those.” He gestured to the chains that held her in place.

There she hung, naked before all these vampires waiting to die. All of her energy was focused on her anger at Spike. To do otherwise would reduce her to fears and panic. Something she refused to do in front of these creatures.

How could she have been so foolish?

She had been certain that once she admitted to Spike that she didn’t love Angel anymore he would release her. She let herself believe that a creature like him could love.

She should have been fighting, trying to escape and let them kill her in the attempt. Instead once again she followed her heart and she wound up here. Humiliated and exposed.

Spike had chosen his revenge well.



“It is time.” Matsema said rising from his seat. “Let us begin.”

Ipwet went to take her seat as Buffy watched on from behind.

“William,” Matsema began. You have come farther than any other vampire in the history of our kind. Once considered the weakest of your clan and sentenced to death by this very Council, through determination, self-reliance and creative thinking you are to receive more standing and power than any other as young as you.”

Buffy watched Spike standing there, the pride in his eyes was evident. Grudgingly she could admit to herself he deserved to be proud. He was a legend among his kind.

Matsema walked towards him. “For your achievements you shall be rewarded.” Matsema stood before him. “But first we must taste you, test your loyalties.”

Buffy noticed Ipwet seemed to blanche at this and she wondered what was going on.

Spike immediately knelt down and tilted his head to the side to allow the older vampire access to his neck. Matsema wasted no time in striking in for him in such a brutal way that it almost made Buffy wince. The pain on Spike’s face was plain for anyone to see, but there was more.

She also recognized the look of ecstasy in his features. She knew that biting was a renewal of family and a connection to other vampires. She wondered how long it had been since Spike shared this connection with anyone besides Drusilla.

Matsema didn’t drink from him for very long. He lifted his bloodstained lips away and commented. “Well, well. Very remarkable indeed.” Buffy noticed Ipwet looked extremely relieved.

Then Matsema turned towards her. “You taste wonderfully my dear.” He told her. “I look forward to drinking from the tap.”

Buffy looked at Spike, but he didn’t even acknowledge Matsema’s words. She began to realize how doomed she was.

“Now, we shall complete the ritual.” Matsema rolled up the sleeve on his long shirt and held his wrist out towards Spike. He spoke in a language Buffy didn’t understand, but she could see it was having some effect on Spike. His demon came forth and his eyes were glowing brighter than she had ever seen. His body convulsed several times before he lay still.

“Drink. Drink from me, my Childe.” Matsema said. With a growl Spike latched onto his wrist. Matsema’s head fell back in what appeared to be pleasure, while the other vampires around them took up chanting.

After a few moments Matsema softly pushed Spike away. “Now that the ritual is done, I present to you the right hand to power. William the Bloody, Head of the Clan of Aurelius.”

Clapping rose up from Council. “Rise, my Childe.” Matsema glanced back at Buffy. “I believe you have something more to present us with.”

Spike grinned through his blood soaked teeth. He stood up and moved towards Buffy. She begged him with her eyes not to do this, but he didn’t appear to see. When he got close enough he ripped her gag out of her mouth. “I want to hear you scream.” He growled at her.

“Spike don’t do this.” She said softly. “I never meant to hurt you, please listen to me.”

He didn’t even bother to respond. He looked down her body with a hungry expression.

“Spike.” She repeated urgently.

He took a deep unneeded breath and then dove for her neck.

The pain of this bite was intense compared to the gentle bites he had taken before. Buffy tried to jerk or move to get out of his grasp, but he held her firmly in place with his teeth. When she felt his mouth pulling strongly at her skin while he swallowed deeply she knew her time was up.

This was the end.


A/N: Flames, death threats and other such things will be ignored. The story is going to go where it wants to go and you’ll all have to wait until Sunday for the final chapter to find out. Hee-hee.