Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: Yay finished. Today is Sunday right?

This fic is for Bloodshedbaby, because she came up with the challenge and because she is such and exceptionally sweet person.

BSB, I hope you like it and I hope it was what you were looking for when you came up with the challenge. Sorry about the beer delay. Hee-hee.


For those of you waiting on Life Eternal, the next chapter will be up soon. (I won’t make any promises on when, but it is coming.

Several people asked about a sequel to this one. I do need a lighter fic to work on in between Life Eternal chapters, so it is possible. I could do a couple short stories about their adventures on the islands, or returning Solum home. I also have a short PWP outlined out. So let me know what you think should be next.

Thanks to everyone whose read and reviewed this.

Kyra
Chapter 16: The End?

“Gotta tell ya, I’m still really pissed off. I mean a fella doesn’t easily forgive someone for messin’ with him like that.”

Solum sat down in a plush chair on the deck of a boat as it cut almost silently through the water. The sky was filled with stars up above them. The sheer number indicated how far away they were from the shore and any light pollution.

“I thought that was the end o’me. I was certain I’d never get to see my girls again. I thought they’d have to remember their daddy as just some deadbeat who abandoned them. That feeling is something a man just doesn’t forget, ya know?”

Spike walked up next to him and handed him a large glass filled with an amber liquid. Solum sniffed at it and then a huge grin split across his face.

“Shit yeah. All is forgiven, my friend.” He took a long drink. “I missed that burn.” He said with relish. “All is definitely forgiven.”

Spike had a small smile as he sat down in the chair next to him. For a few minutes the two sat and enjoyed the silence.

“So I gotta ask you something, jes’ ‘tween us men.”

Spike let out a quiet laugh at Solum’s language skills. “All right, Mate.”

“Was all that part of a plan? Did you mean for it to happen?” Solum’s voice lowered. “Did you mean to do that to her?”

Spike tilted his head and didn’t answer right away.

“My plans never work out, especially where the Slayer is concerned.”

“She’s quite the little fire ant, ain’t she? I would have never expected her to do what she did.”

“No.” Spike’s voice was low, but the pain in it was still clear for Solum to hear.

“I would think this would be what you wanted, yet you don’t seem to happy.”

This time the silence stretched on and on. Finally Solum shook his head and chuckled when he realized Spike wasn’t going to share with him.

“Ya’ll are about the dimmest candles I ever did see.”

Spike turned his head and looked at him strangely when the words still didn’t make sense after the third time he repeated them to himself.

“Mate, sometimes I don’t understand a word you say.”

Solum laughed. “Maybe she can explain it to you.” He nodded at something behind Spike. He turned around to see Buffy standing there, looking at him with a smile on her face.

Spike couldn’t help the look of awe that came over his face. The Slayer finally got some decent rest and got cleaned up. From the looks of things she went all out when it came time for pampering. She looked beautiful standing in the moonlight with a white cotton dress on. It had been all they could really find on such short notice in the area of Africa they were in.

They stood there staring at each other for several moments, but neither one said a word.

“Seein’s how ya’ll din’t get any time to talk, I’ll leave ya’ll alone.” Solum said, as he stood up. “I’m sure you have a lot to say to each other.” He added emphatically.

Still neither one said anything.

“Don’t worry ‘bout me. I think the crew’s got a card game goin’ on down below. I wanna see if my luck’s changed at all. Be nice to get some cash to get something for my girls. Don’t wanna show up empty handed, an’ all.”

Still, neither replied.

“So,” Solum let the word drag out. “Either of you have any cash you can lend me? Just to get me started.”

Now they both turned to him looking amused.

“There’s some jewelry in a box, on the dresser of my room.” Buffy answered. “I believe it belonged to the previous owner.”

Solum smiled wide. “You, darlin, you’re an angel. That’s what you are.” With that he turned and left them alone.

Buffy sat down in the chair the Solum just vacated. Her smile was gone, replaced by a look of seriousness. Spike waited for her to speak, he didn’t have to wait long.

“Why did you do it?” Her voice carried no hint of her mood.

Spike took a deep breath.




Flashback

The sound of flesh ripping under his fangs almost made him swoon with pleasure. Every sense he had was heightened with his new power and the act of drinking from Matsema had his demon out in full force.

As soon as the blood hit his tongue he knew, though. This was so much more than just food.

As he gulped her blood down his throat Spike thought of what Buffy would be like as a vampire.

Cruel.

Vicious.

Evil.

Cold.

The last one reminded him of how she was now, warm and full of life.

He couldn’t say it was a conscious decision; all he was aware of was one thing.

He ripped his mouth away from her neck. “MINE!” He bellowed to the assembled vampires. He turned to face them. “The Slayer belongs to me. I claim her for my Mate.”

Dead silence. Shocked silence. Then noise poured forth. Yelling and screaming.

End Flashback


“I wish I could give you a solid answer, pet, but all I can say is it was instinctual.”

Buffy nodded. She may have sensed there was a lot more to it, but she didn’t press him.

Probably because she didn’t want to know, he thought.

“Why did you do it?” He asked her.




Flashback

When his fangs cut through her skin Buffy almost yelled out in pain. This wasn’t like the gentle bites from before or even like the passionate ones that occurred when they were having sex. This was a vampire out to kill.

Yet, once the initial pain was over, the sensation of Spike drinking from her neck with his familiar scent washing over her had her subconsciously arching up into him. In fact, if it weren’t for the impending death, she might have even enjoyed the violence in his act.

Her heart ached as he drank more of her blood. Since, she now assumed she would be dead soon she could admit that the pain of Spike’s betrayal was more painful than the knowledge of her impending death.

It was a shock to her when he abruptly pulled away and shouted out. “MINE.” She never heard the rest when he turned back to the other vampires because of the sudden surge of energy she felt. Strength ran through her making every one of her muscles vibrate. Her hearing and sight sharpened, she could make out every single hair on Spike’s head and the yelling that started was almost deafening and overpowering.

Her eyes focused on Spike’s neck. He was standing before her, muscles tensed as if waiting for an attack. It took little effort to break the chains holding her and before he could even turn at the sound of them falling she attacked.

She wrapped her arms around him and quickly bit down on his neck. She had never bitten anyone before with the attempt to draw blood, but with the strength she had it wasn’t too difficult. The feeling of the skin breaking around her teeth was something she would never forget. Because her teeth were so dull, she couldn’t reach down to the vein as he did, but she did manage to get a mouthful of blood. Before she could even question what she was doing she swallowed it down, barely noticing the coppery flavor over the taste of Spike’s essence.

“MINE!” She yelled victoriously.

End Flashback


“I don’t know what happened. I just felt like I needed to do it. Maybe it was instinct.”

Spike nodded as if that’s what he expected.

“I just never thought he’d let us go like that. Do you think everything he told us was true?”

“I can’t see why he’d lie about something like that. Isn’t exactly something a demon would be proud of.”




Flashback

Neither Buffy nor Spike had to time to examine their actions or the consequences because suddenly there was several vampires headed their way with deadly intent in their eyes. Ipwet was screaming and yelling at Spike, rage clear on her face. Through it all Matsema sat upon his throne looking thoughtful.

Three vampires rushed them. Spike threw a punch while Buffy ducked to avoid a club one of the others was carrying. Extremely aware of the fact that she was naked, Buffy tried to ignore the embarrassment and concentrate on keeping her exposed parts safe. She knew that if she let them get close there was a greater chance they could do any damage.

She kicked her leg back behind her, hitting the vampire trying to sneak up on her right in the stomach. When he flew back she jumped into the space he had just vacated, right as the vampire in front of her swung his club again. The club missed her by a fraction of an inch, the vampire certain he was going to hit her, was unprepared for the momentum of the swing to carry him around. Buffy took her chance when the club passed. She grabbed the shoulder closest to her and pushed it in the direction the club went, at the same time she grabbed his chin and pushed that the other way. She heard the popping noises indicating his neck was broken, but she pushed on until she twisted his head off.

Buffy felt a great deal of satisfaction as she watched him disintegrate. She heard another whoosh and looked up to see Spike finishing off two more vampires, at the same time. He simply grabbed them by the neck, one in each hand and ripped their heads off. He spun around probably checking to make sure she was ok. Their eyes met for an instant, but then they both caught sight of more vampires moving up behind each other.

Spike dove for the vampire behind her, the one she had kicked back before, while Buffy jumped towards the one who was sneaking up on Spike. She didn’t tackle him though; instead she rolled on the ground, coming up behind him. Then before he could turn around she swept his knees out from under him and quickly twisted his neck.

She looked around for any other attackers, but the rush seemed to have stopped. The rest of the vampires simply watched the events as if it was entertainment provided for them. Buffy turned to look back at Spike; clearly he knew they were out of immediate danger because he was playing with the last vampire instead of killing him outright.

Movement off to the side caught Buffy’s attention.

She jumped up and grabbed Ipwet’s wrist, prying the stake she had been holding out of her hands. Buffy punched her right in the nose. As soon as the vampiress fell to the ground, Buffy was on top of her, holding the stake above her heart.

“I’m going to enjoy this.” Buffy growled.

“ENOUGH!!” Matsema’s voice carried across the hall. Even when he wasn’t using his Sire voice the tone left no room for disobedience. Spike finished off the vampire he was fighting and came to stand next to Buffy.

Buffy didn’t release her hold on Ipwet, but she did look up at Matsema.

“Guards, arrest Ipwet, take her down to the torture chambers.”

Beneath Buffy Ipwet began to shout.

“What!! Why? Sire, I’m a loyal member of this Council. He’s the one who betrayed us all.”

“Do you think I’m stupid?” Matsema asked, amusement in his voice. “Do you really think you could manipulate me?”

“Sire, please.” Ipwet was begging now. The guards approached Buffy warily. She glared at them for a few seconds before standing and letting them take her.

“Sire.” Her makeup ran down her face as tears poured from her eyes.

Matsema smiled at her, it was a terrifying sight. “It’s been so long since I actually tortured someone. This will be a nice.”

“NOOOO!” Ipwet cried as the guards led her away.

Matsema looked out at the remaining vampires. “Those of you who were following her, consider yourselves lucky. I do know who you are and from now on you will be watched, but I will grant you leniency this one time.” He leaned forward in his chair, his eyes locked on Rangda. “Just know that if anything like this happens again, torture will be the least of it.”

There was silence. Buffy stood next to Spike unsure what to do. Should they try and make a run for it? Could they get to Solum?

“The rest of you can leave us.” At first no one moved. Buffy looked at Spike, but he shared her uncertain look.

“I said go.” Matsema snapped, and the rest of the Council rushed out. Then they were alone with Matsema.

“Come here.” He commanded them. Warily, Buffy and Spike moved forward.

“You are quite an incredible creature, William.”

Spike didn’t answer. “I had already suspected Ipwet was playing a game with me.” He continued on. “I wasn’t sure until I saw the truth in your blood.” He smiled a half smile. “I also knew you wouldn’t be able to kill your Slayer, but I knew that before I tasted you.”

Buffy couldn’t keep quiet. “So what are you going to do with us now?” She asked.

“Do with you?” Matsema replied. “Why I’m going to let you go.”

“Let us go.” Spike asked.

“Yes.”

“Just like that. After everything that’s happened and everything I’ve done, you’re going to let us go.”

“Yes.”

“Why?” Buffy asked.

“You will find Miss Summers that even the most evil of creature have their place. In the past, I have been known to help out the Creator.” He paused for effect. “Tasks he wouldn’t or couldn’t do himself. It’s all about keeping a balance. You two are going to be part of that.”

“What do you mean?” Spike asked.

“They have big plans for you.” Matsema replied enigmatically.

“Who does?” Buffy questioned him.

“I can’t tell you that. Not yet.”

“You’ve gotta be kidding me.” Spike said.

“No, I assure you I’m not. Now we need to get you on your way. I believe you can travel on Ipwet’s boat; she won’t be needing it anymore. We’ll get Miss Summers a dress from the village below,” He paused, and thought a moment. “Unless you would like to try on some of Ipwet’s…” Buffy’s glare cut off his sentence. “Very well then. You will leave at sunset.”

“Wait a minute.” Buffy stopped him before he could leave. “What about Solum?”

“What’s a Solum?” Matsema looked confused.

“The digger you’ve had imprisoned in the Garden for who only know how long.”

“Ah, yes. What about him?”

“He has to come with us.”

“Does he?”

“Yes. He does.” Buffy said firmly.

“Fine.” Matsema stood up and walked to the doorway. “Be by the front gate at sunset. I shouldn’t have to tell you, you can never return here, but I will. If I ever catch you here again you will share Ipwet’s fate.” And with that he left.

Buffy and Spike stared at the door he just exited in a daze.

End Flashback




“So what happens now?” Buffy’s voice brought Spike out of his reverie.

“Well, I figured we’d head towards the states, get a train or plane from there. I’m sure once we reach a phone you could fly home. Your mum would send you a ticket.” Spike seemed to hesitate. “Once we get you home, we’ll get the Watcher started on breaking this claim.”

“You want to break the claim?” Buffy asked.

“I think it’s for the best.”

“I thought they couldn’t be broken.”

“They aren’t supposed to. If it can’t be broken I can always transfer it to Peaches.” Buffy didn’t say anything and for that he was grateful. “Don’t worry, pet, we’ll have you home and everything fixed up in no time.”

Buffy stood up and walked over to him. He was surprised when she sat herself down in his lap. “I have a better idea.” She announced.

“You do?”

“Uh-huh.” She nodded. “I think we should take this boat to the closest tropical island. I’m sure they’ll have a phone; I can call my mom on to let her know I’m ok. But I’ll tell her I’m working on a special project and it might take a few months. Then you and I start exploring some of these islands together.”

“But your friends.” Spike spluttered. “And your duty, Sacred Calling and all that rot.”

“Faith is there, and honestly I think she’ll do better without me around. She will get her chance to shine and feel all Chosen Oney. Plus, I think there might be some sparks between her and Angel. They both understand that whole dark side thing.”

“But don’t you want to get home?”

“Well, sure, eventually, but how often will we get a chance like this? Don’t you wanna see what sort of trouble we can get into?”

“But…” Spike started again. Buffy put her hand up to shush him.

“Spike, do you love me?”

He stared at her, he didn’t want to admit it and give her the chance to rip him apart, but he couldn’t deny it.

“Yes.”

She smiled at him. “I’m still kind of leery of men after the whole Angel fiasco. I don’t know if what I felt for him was really love, especially since it’s completely different from what I feel for you. But I do have strong feelings for you. They probably are love, but I just don’t know yet. I want to take our time and enjoy being with each other and getting to know each other outside of the whole ‘fighting for you lives’ thing.”

“You want us to be together.” Spike asked her in awe.

“I really do.”

“I think I can deal with that.” Spike finally smiled up at her.

“Well good.” Buffy leaned down and kissed him lightly. “What do you say we take this to your room.”

Spike deepened the kiss. When he released her, she seemed to be having trouble breathing. “I can’t wait to make love to you in a real bed.” He purred.

“Oh no.” Buffy shook her head emphatically and got off him. “You mister, are still in trouble for what you did back there. I haven’t forgotten anything.”

“But it all turned out all right.” Spike protested.

“I don’t care. You betrayed me, you lied to me, and you had me naked in front of all those old, ugly vampires.”

“I’m sorry, Buffy.”

“Sorry won’t cut it.” She answered, and then she smiled at him slyly. “I’m going to have to punish you.”

“Really?” Spike said with interest.

“Oh, yeah. Lots of punishment. There may even be ropes and blindfolds involved.”

“Well, then lets get on with it.” Spike said. “I want to take my punishment like a good boy.”

“Let’s go.” They strolled along the side of the deck, holding hands.

“Hey Spike?” Buffy asked.

“Hmm.”

“What ever happened to your coat?”




On the floor of the ocean, several miles down, the Ugallu demon made his way across the ground. Water didn’t affect it; neither did the extreme pressure at that depth.

It had already almost doubled in size from the feeding frenzy it went on as soon as it escaped, but now the edge had been taken off its hunger and once again it was hunting. It could still sense the life force it had tasted before, only now it was stronger, more vibrant. The creature moved as fast as it could, but the life force was still far away and getting farther by the minute.

It didn’t matter, the Ugallu was immortal, and it would hunt the life force until the end of time if it had to. Not that time meant anything to it. Eventually it would catch its prey.



The End???