Author's Chapter Notes:
Thenk you for reading and reviewing this story.
I really do appreciate it.
Chapter 19: ‘Promises’


Summary: Spike and Buffy send Dawn away with trusted friends and family.

Dawn makes a promise to her parents and Spike makes a promise to Buffy.

A/N: Thank you for reading this story. It’s coming to an end (I promise myself!). Maybe three more chapters?




“This is Mr. Charles Gunn, honey,” Buffy was pointing to the tall, good looking African-American gentleman that stood next to William. “The lady is Fred, she’s actually your daddy’s 1st cousin and she’s married to Mr. Gunn.”

“Fred’s a funny name for a lady,” Dawn giggled behind her tiny hand. The child grinned up at the pretty lady and the nice looking man.

“Well, it’s actually short, for Winnefred,” Fred smiled warmly down at the small girl.

“How come you don’t talk like my daddy?” Dawn asked with a confused scowl. “If you’re my daddy’s cousin? How come you don’t have a British accent?”

“My mama is your daddy’s mama’s big sister, sweetie,” Fred continued to explain to the amused little girl. “Aunt Jenny and my mama, her name is Kate, they were born here, in America.”

“Mr. Gunn works with daddy, baby,” Buffy explained carefully. “He and Fred are married to each other. Isn’t that nice?”

“Uh, huh,” Dawn replied quietly, her blue eyes wide with curiosity at the couple.

“Bit,” Spike stammered, trying not to choke up, gazing down into his daughter’s beautiful eyes. “Mr. Gunn and Fred are going to take you back to Virginia with them. They’re going to fly on the big plane with you, to Washington DC first. Then they’re going to drive you down to Granny Jenny’s farm. Would you like that?”

“Oh yes!” Dawn squealed in delight, forgetting, momentarily, that she had to leave her newly discovered parents, immediately. That very day in fact.

“Good girl, baby,” Buffy interjected in a shaky voice; her chin quivered slightly from emotion.

‘I have to be strong for her,’ Buffy admonished herself in her own mind. ‘This is best for Dawn, here and now. Riley will never find her at the farm and…’

“I’ll be a good girl, momma and daddy,” Dawn murmured into her father’s chest. Both Spike and Buffy had their child wrapped tightly in their mutual embrace.

“I promise,” Dawn repeated, her words muffled against her mother’s warm neck.

After Gunn and Fred had left with their child, Buffy fell into William’s arms and bawled like a baby. The thought of her precious daughter going all the way across the country, just so she could be safe? It was killing Buffy by inches.

“I can’t believe I let her go,” Buffy sobbed into Will’s muscled chest. They were sitting on the plush couch in her parents’ front living room.

“How could I let her go?” Buffy wailed in disbelief, more to herself then to her lover. “Everything I have done, for the last seven years has been for Dawn. How could I just let her go like that? With virtual strangers and…”

“Buffy, luv,” Spike whispered in a strained voice. “I trust Gunn and yes, even Fred with my own life. Do you think I would let our daughter go with them if I didn’t think it was for the best?”

“No,” Buffy whimpered softly, snuggling into Will’s body even further. “I just miss her already, Will,” she wept pitifully.

“I know, baby,” he tried to comfort Buffy as best he could. “But when this is all over? When Xander and me have nailed that fucking monster, Finn? It’ll be worth it, sweetheart, I promise.”

Buffy nodded into William’s chest, trying desperately to calm herself down. She realized that although Dawn was now virtually as safe as possible, she herself would have to return to LA, tomorrow at the latest. Riley was expecting her, even if she had convinced him that she wanted to ‘stay’ with Willow and Tara until their wedding day.

That in itself had been a stroke of genius, no question, on Buffy’s part. Buffy was well aware that William would balk, completely at the thought of her staying in Riley’s mansion. Never mind the fact that she had extracted a promise from Riley, or his assurance at least, to wait until their wedding night to touch her again.

Buffy considered it a miracle that she had talked Riley into accepting her living arrangements, with Willow that is, until the wedding. William had been smugly pleased that his girl had pulled off this ruse to keep away from Riley, as much as possible.

‘It’d be impossible for me to be in the same room with Finn hangin’ all over my Buffy, makin’ innuendos,’ Spike sighed in disgust at the thought. At least this way, he knew that Buffy would be going back to Willow and Tara’s place to spend the night. No matter how many days she spent at the mansion.

“We’ll get our daughter back, as soon as possible, baby,” Spike whispered comfortingly, kissing Buffy’s damp right cheek. “Xander and me have to meet with Finn, tomorrow afternoon. That gives you and me tonight, up here in Sunnydale together. Andrew will drive you back to LA tomorrow, right after I leave, okay?”

“Uh huh,” Buffy sniffed softly, her head still buried in William’s chest. “I’ll leave with Andrew, right after you. I’m glad we have tonight together, Will,” she murmured with a hot blush. “And I am relieved that our daughter is going to be safe, completely at your mom’s. Gosh, Dawnie even has FBI watching the farm and…” Buffy stuttered slightly, then broke out into tears again.

“I know,” Spike rasped, trying to control his own emotions. “But I swear to God, Buffy, we’ll get her back soon. I’ll nail Riley Finn to a cross by the end of this next week. Even if I have to hammer the fucking nails into him myself.”

“Riley is hardly Christ-like, Will,” Buffy finally quit crying and giggled, just a bit.

“True,” Spike muttered, joining in his lover’s sudden laughter. “Finn’s more of a bloody demon then a Christ figure, yeah?”

“Yeah,” Buffy whispered softly, snuggling into Will again. “I know you and Xander will take him down, baby,” she sighed. “I guess I’m just praying it will real soon. I’ve never hated anyone like I do Riley,” she finished harshly.”

“It will be soon, Princess,” Spike hissed in determination. “Like I said, I’ll nail Finn’s coffin shut myself. I’ll even use silver nails blessed by a priest, I swear it.”

William insisted on cooking Buffy some dinner at home that night and he opened a nice bottle of wine he’d bought. Buffy was amazed, once again, when Will laid out a feast fit for royalty on her parents' huge dining room table.

“Wow,” Buffy giggled mischievously, “this looks like Thanksgiving, all over again!”

Spike was proud of his culinary skills and this time he’d outdone himself. He had roasted a nice, small turkey, stuffed with traditional dressing and chestnuts. The way his mum used to make the turkey, along with all of the fixings. There was small, parleyed potatoes and gravy for the dressing. On the side, there were baby peas and carrots, and oh, yeah, a special surprise dessert, just for Buffy.

“I’ve got a lot of holidays to make up for Princess,” Spike mumbled with regret and guilt.

“It’s not your fault,” Buffy whispered, taking a bite of the yummy looking potatoes.

“Maybe not, but…” Spike let his sentence trail off as he took a sip of the chardonnay wine.

“It’s not any of our faults, Will,” Buffy continued stubbornly. “It was Riley, all along,” she insisted. “He’s the one that hurt us all, truly. I played into his hands, yes, but…”

“Don’t,” Spike hissed harshly. “I won’t have you blaming yourself anymore, Buffy. I couldn’t stand it.”

“Okay,” Buffy murmured softly. “Let’s talk about something else, shall we?”

“Yeah,” Spike exclaimed in relief. “Let’s talk about where we’ll live when we get married and really settle down, eh?”


“There’s double fudge chocolate ice cream, for dessert, Princess,” Spike grinned at Buffy. “I know it’s your favorite and I bought two gallons of the stuff.”

“You are so trying to make me fat,” Buffy accused William with a saucy little giggle. “You’re making eat all kinds of wicked, fattening food so I balloon up and…”

“Hardly,” Spike chuckled, taking Buffy by her hand and leading her into the kitchen. “I’m just trying to ‘feed’ you something,” he continued with authority. “You’ve not been eating well, I can see that, and before you go all ballistic on me. About my thinking you’re too thin? Don’t bother. You’re perfect for me, sweetheart. In every way. I just don’t want you to go hungry, okay?”

“Okay,” Buffy whispered, a little overwhelmed at the protective nature of this man. Her man.

“Oh, Will!” Buffy gasped in delight as he spooned the delicious chocolate fudge cream into her mouth. “This is the sweetest thing I’ve ever had in my mouth and…”

“Hey,” Spike snorted, a little insulted at Buffy’s statement. “I thought ‘I’ was the sweetest thing you’ve had in your and mouth!”

“Well, you are,” Buffy replied, licking the chocolate ice cream from her lips. “I meant that the ice cream was the second sweetest thing I’ve ever had in my mouth!” She smirked up at him, coyly.

The lovers broke down into fits of laughter and fell into each others arms. Spike pulled Buffy onto his lap and began to kiss her face and mouth with abandon.

“Will, stop it,” Buffy giggled hysterically. “I’m slurping chocolate ice cream all over you! It’s dripping down your neck and chest and all over your tee shirt!”

“Don’t care,” Spike murmured huskily as he ripped Buffy’s shirt open, sending little buttons flying everywhere.

“William!” Buffy squealed in mock anger (but really, she was delighted). “You’ve ruined another one of my best blouses!”

“I’ll buy you five more, just like it,” he rasped even as he buried his face in Buffy’s plump little bare breasts.

“I’ll hold you to that,” Buffy whispered, wriggling on his lap. She was fully aware that they were both getting hotter by the second.

“God, I love you Buffy,” Spike rasped, desperately pulling Buffy’s skirt up about her hips.

“I love you,” she gasped eagerly when William slipped two fingers inside of her and began to pump them.

“So wet and hot for me, sweet,” he murmured in a daze. “My girl,” he mumbled, sucking her right nipple tenderly. He held her in a vice-like grip and used his right hand to rotate her hip so her cunny rubbed on his leg.

Along with Will’s hand action and finger action? Buffy was close to cumming, really quickly.

“Uhhhng, your girl,” Buffy sighed laying her head on his, her arms wrapped about his shoulders. She began to convulse, down there, riding William’s fingers and leg for all it was worth.

“Will!” Buffy screamed out as she came, dripping ice cream, happy tears and sex juices all over his neck, chest and leg.

“That’s my girl,” Spike purred into Buffy’s warm little ear. “That’s my good baby, all wet and cumming for me. I love you so much Buffy,” he whimpered.

“Me too. I mean I love you too, Will,” she moaned as her lips met his.

Suddenly, the shrill ring of the Summers’ phone split the thick air and broke the hazy atmosphere of sex in the kitchen.

“It’s you parents number!” Buffy squealed loudly when she checked caller ID. She was relieved for many reasons, mostly because she knew her daughter had made it to the Giles’ farm.

“Mum,” Spike greeted Jennifer Giles warmly. “Is Dawn there?”

“Of course,” Jenny gushed happily. “I just wanted to call you and let you know she’s here and doing fine. Dawn wanted to speak to the both of you so I won’t keep you, dear. Oh, and William?”

“Yes Mum,” Spike muttered with a blush. His mother could always reduce him to a pandering, ponce of a school boy.

“Call your father, dear, please? For me?” Jennifer sighed as she handed the phone to her only grandchild.

“Daddy!” Dawn exclaimed. “It’s me, Dawn! Oh, Daddy,” she continued excitedly. “The farm’s just like you said! Micky is wonderful and I’ve already got to pet a horse! Granny Jenny says there’s a special pony, in the barn, just for me! I met a little boy goat and his wife and their ‘kids’ Daddy. That’s what you call baby goats, kids!”

“That’s great, Bit,” Spike replied in a shaky voice, eyeing Buffy with concern. He was barely holding on himself and Buffy looked as if she was about to break down and cry again.

“Mr. Gunn and Fred are really cool!” Dawn gushed eagerly. “They’re going to be staying here, with Granny and me. In the guest house though,” she added with a little giggle.

“Can I talk to Buffy, I mean my mama now, Daddy?” Dawn asked in her sweet, childish voice.

“Course, Bit,” Spike whispered in a strained voice. “Your mama would love to talk to you. Dawn,” Spike added softly, “your mother and I love you more then anything in the world.”


A/N: I had to have a Spuffy loving night, just before they head back to LA. I don’t know how many readers are familiar with LA, California, but I was born and raised here. It’s not the wonderland a lot of folks think it is. Spike and Buffy have more reasons for not wanting to come back to LA then most of us so…..

Anyway, there is trouble waiting for Spike and Buffy back in LA. I can’t give away anymore then that for now.

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.