Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for reading this fiction.
Chapter 20: ‘Reconciled’


Summary: Buffy faces Riley, then quickly takes off again.
Spike’s mother encourages him to reconcile with his father.

A/N: I felt I had to write this chapter before I got into the really angstsy chapters. Thank you for reading.


“Hello baby,” Riley purred in what he must have thought was a seductive tone. “Welcome home,” he added with a sly wink as he leaned down to kiss Buffy’s lips.

Buffy had just stepped through the mansion door when Riley appeared right in front of her. And, there ‘he’ was, the bane of her existence; the gristle in her meat, just waiting for her to make an appearance.

‘Geez,’ she grumbled, ‘what? Was he staring out the window like a freaking puppy, waiting for his owner to come home? How fucking pathetic!’ She grimaced in complete contempt for this man now holding her in his hot, clammy arms.

She tried, very hard, to accept her so called fiancé’s affection, but it was difficult to say the least. In fact, it pretty much grossed her out.

“I’m just dropping in to visit and pick up some things I’ll need, Rile,” Buffy mumbled. “Tara and Willow are expecting me for dinner and…..”

“So you’re going to stick with the celibacy plan? Until our wedding?” Riley asked in obvious disappointment. “You’re going to stay with the snuggle babes, until our…..”

“Yes,” Buffy quipped abruptly, trying to ignore the snuggle babes remark. “I’ve lived with you for years, Riley,” she sighed, “let me have this ‘time’ to myself, please. At least until we get married. It’s only a few weeks and all. I really don’t think it’s that much to ask for, Rile. So let me have this, please and I can finish plotting our wedding.” Buffy lied so easily it almost scared the hell out of her.

“Dad wants to give me away, for some reason known only to God,” Buffy snorted. ‘Like he didn’t give me away already? Almost six years ago to this monster,’ she reasoned with resentment.

Buffy couldn’t look her fiancé in the eye; she was afraid her tell tale expression would give her away. All’s she needed was for Riley to figure out that he was being played like a Stradivarius. That’s when the shit would hit the proverbial fan and it might even put William and Xander in danger. Not to mention Dawn, Buffy’s parents and herself.

No, it was best to go with the ‘plan’ she’d devised and William had reluctantly gone along with. When the mighty ‘troll hammer’ came down on Mr. Finn? Riley would be the last one to know, while Will and Buffy would be the last ‘ones’ standing. In victory.

“How’d the kid take it,” Riley asked, indifferently. “About you being her mom and not her sister?” He actually tried to look interested, Buffy thought, and it made her feel kind of bad. Well, for a second anyway.

“She was okay with it,” Buffy sighed out her little white lie. What she really wanted to say was that Dawn was ecstatic that she was her mother and William was her father. Buffy wanted so badly to tell this maniac that her daughter detested him, her grandparents and everything connected to Riley Finn.

“I think you should have told her I was her dad and then things might be a little easier. When she comes to live with us I mean,” Riley muttered, brushing a stray strand of Buffy’s hair from her cheek.

If Riley noticed that Buffy cringed at his touch? He didn’t show it and she could only assume she had hidden her repulsion of him pretty well.

“I’m done with lying,” Buffy muttered harshly. ‘Except to you, asshole,’ she added inside her own mind.

“It’s probably for the best,” Riley nodded his big stupid head slowly. “Lies just lead to more lies and, well you know the rest,” he finished with a smug grin.

‘You should know, fuckhead,’ Buffy hissed at him with silent contempt. “You’re a number one lying asshole with a silver bullet, Finn.” She was thinking of Warren Meers and how his murder, at the hands of this man, had broken her good friend, Andrew’s loving heart.

‘I wonder how many others you’ve murdered, Riley?’ She asked him in her own head. ‘I know about Warren, Faith and Jesse, but how many others, Finn? How much more blood is on your hands and that of your men?’


“How are your guests from New York doing?” Buffy asked Riley, suddenly, steering the conversation to another, safer topic.

“You mean Harrington and Spike?” Riley asked with a smirk.

“Yeah,” Buffy shrugged with an air of indifference, she hoped anyway.

“Both of them were here this morning, for a breakfast meet,” he continued absent mindedly. “They’re planning on leaving, sometime next week; headin’ back to New York since their business for O’Connor is almost finished here. I can’t say I’m sorry to see them go,” Riley chuckled. “Harrington is ‘okay’ I guess, but Spike? I think he’s an arrogant son-of-a-bitch.”

‘Oh, and you’re not? You pompous prick,’ Buffy hissed, trying not to verbalize her bitter musings.

“Whatever,” Buffy sighed indifferently. “He seems nice enough to me,” she finished with a slight shrug of her slim shoulders.

She pulled away from Riley and headed up the stairs to ‘their’ bedroom. It had taken all of Buffy’s acting skills to bite her tongue and not tear into Riley for his harsh words about her lover.

Just fifteen minutes or so, and Buffy would be packed and free of this tomb. This pre-wedding stay at Willow and Tara’s would give her an excuse to break free of Riley for a few weeks.

Hopefully, by next week? William and Xander would have enough on Riley to bring him to his knees and destroy him completely.

“Can Andrew drive me to Willow’s?” Buffy nearly skipped down the staircase and by Riley; who still stood, somewhat dumbfounded by the front door.

“I’ll take you, Buffy,” Riley murmured in his little boy lost voice. The one that Buffy detested well beyond normal human endurance.

“I…..” Buffy began cautiously, weighing her next words carefully. “I know you don’t much care for Willow or Tara, Riley,” she mumbled under her breath. “I guess I thought you wouldn’t want to drive me and…..”

“I don’t want you to go at all,” Riley whined like a small child. “Why don’t you rethink this, babe and stay here. If you’re intent on having the whole ‘wait until the wedding night’ thing? You can move into a guest room, or I will.” His dark eyes pleaded in silent desperation with Buffy. She remained unmoved however.

“No,” she stammered, avoiding his earnest gaze. “It’s best for me to stay with Willow and Tara. After all,” she continued, “it might be too tempting. You know, with me here, in the house and all?”

‘Yeah, too tempting for me to stake your worthless heart in the middle of the night, you miserable loss.’ Buffy tried not to smirk, opting instead for a false look of sincere compassion for her soon to be ex.


“Call your father, William,” Jennifer Giles admonished her son and only child. “He is not the complete monster you think he is, I promise.”

“He hid my child from me, Mum,” Spike whispered into the cell phone. “Dad knew that Dawn was mine, he had to of and he…..”

“He’s a mere mortal man, dear,” Jennifer sighed deeply. “Believe me, he’s all man and mostly mortal, even if he thinks he’s God-like sometimes.” Spike’s mother chuckled lowly, causing him to smile at the lovely sound of it.

“Oh, I know he’s a bit pompous, overbearing and well, pretty much all over a know-it-all, but, I still love him, William. He loves you, you know and when he meets our grandchild? He’ll fall in love with her too, I’m betting on it. I have already convinced your father that our Dawnie is the best thing since fish and chips,” she laughed.

“Okay, Mum,” Spike mumbled in defeat, “I’ll call dad, as soon as I’m off the phone with you. Thanks, Mum,” he added warmly, “for watching my daughter. It means more to me, and Buffy then you could know.”

“I think I know, pretty much what it means, William,” Jennifer murmured.


“So, you’re gonna’ call the old man, huh?” Xander was sipping a beer and watching some American excuse for football on the television.

“Yeah,” Spike drawled, still unsure of his position in this matter. He wanted to speak with his imposing father, yet…..

“I’d call him,” Xander grunted indifferently, “just to let him know that everything is jake. After all, he’s the head honcho on this case and you can always use the excuse of ‘business’ to give him a call, right?”

“Yeah,” Spike drawled once again, somberly staring at the cell phone in his hand.

“Well?” Xander asked simply, his head tilted to one side. “Are you gonna’ call the old man or…..”

“I’m calling!” Spike growled impatiently, hitting the speed dial button on his phone.

“Hello, William,” Rupert Giles mumbled his greeting to his only child. Thanking God for modern technology and caller ID.

“Dad,” Spike spat curtly. “I wanted to check in and give you the run down, on the case and all.” He tried not to let any enthusiasm seep into his voice; tried to keep it all professional.

“Before you give me the rundown, son,” Giles interjected in a soft tone, “I’d like to tell you that your mother has been in contact with me. She’s informed me that your daughter, yours and Buffys daughter that is, is a delight to have around. Thank you, William,” he continued carefully. “Thank you for letting your mum take care of our grandchild. It means so much to me and your mum that…” Rupert’s voice trailed off.

‘Jesus,’ Spike gasped to himself, ‘the old man is choked up with emotion!’

“I, well, I know I’ve mucked up everything, boy,” Giles continued again, his words were broken up here and there. “I’m so bloody sorry, more sorry then I could ever express.”

“I never meant to hurt you or lie to you, William,” he continued sincerely. “I’ve made horrible mistakes that I’m sure I’ll pay for the rest of my life, but, I wish you’d allow me to be a part of ‘your’ life. Yours, Buffy’s and Dawns. It would mean so much to me, William. Maybe I can make up for my stupidity and wrongness, somehow?”



Spike sat, staring at the cell phone, still in shock at his omnipresent father’s heartfelt words. Never in his life had Spike heard his father so emotional or apologize, for anything, not like this.

“Dad, I…..” Spike began, brokenly. “I don’t know what to say, Dad,” he stumbled on, unsure how to word his feelings. It had always been like this between Rupert and William Giles; father and son. The son never seemed to measure up to the dad, but now? Maybe Spike had been blind somehow. Maybe, Rupert Giles had never felt he had measured up to his son’s expectations?

“I cannot wait to meet Dawn, William,” Rupert blurted, suddenly, smoothly changing the tone of the conversation. “Mum says she’s just delightful and I’d…” There was another uncomfortable silence and Spike felt as if ‘he’ needed to rescue the situation.

“I want you to meet Buffy first, Dad,” Spike stated. “She’s amazing, Dad and I know you’ll love her too.”

“I think I will,” Rupert sighed his words in relief, happy, it seemed that his son was willing to call a truce. “She sounds marvelous, son. Your mother can’t say enough good things about her and here she’s never met her. Of course, Dawn’s a wonderful ambassador for her mother and all. I wonder though,” Rupert hesitated briefly.

“Wonder what Dad?” Spike asked in a strained voice. ‘Oh, fuck, here it comes,’ he reasoned bitterly.

“I wondered why you did not send Buffy to the farm, with Dawn? Wouldn’t she have been safer there? Until this is all over?” Giles seemed perplexed by this turn of events.

“Dad,” Spike began evenly, “I wanted to send Buffy to the farm, with our daughter, but she wouldn’t hear of it. She’s a bloody stubborn chit, my Buffy is,” he added with a smile.

“Buffy was worried that if she left the picture, too soon that our whole case against Finn might be compromised. My girl wants Riley Finn taken down as much as ‘we’ do, Dad. She feels that by her staying on the scene, Xander and I will have a better chance of nailing Finn. Buffy doesn’t want to raise any unnecessary suspicions on Riley’s part.”

Spike could just see his father’s smirk, even from this end of the phone line. He could also envision the legal wheels in his father’s head turning, quickly.

‘A woman after my own heart,’ Spike could almost hear his father say, proudly. ‘A tough, committed little spitfire that’s perfect for you, William.’

“Buffy is amazing, Dad, like I said,” Spike repeated once again. “She’s everything to me, Dad. Dawn and Buffy will always be everything to me. And Dad?” He swallowed hard and took a deep breath, “when this is over? I’m done, Dad. With the Bureau, that is. This is my last assignment with the FBI. I’m sorry, Dad, but…..”

“It’s okay, William. I understand, completely. I’m just glad that this brought you, Buffy and Dawn back together again. If you need to move on, with your family? Then so be it.”


“We’re popping some corn and having beer for dinner tonight!” Willow Rosenberg nearly skipped about her apartment.

Buffy watched, smiling warmly, as her best friend nearly squealed in excitement. It did her heart good to be here, with Willow and Tara in their apartment. She missed William, of course, but…..

“We can watch movies, all night!” Willow exclaimed gleefully. “ Tara and I don’t have to go to work tomorrow so we can play all night!”

As if on cue, Tara came out of the kitchen carrying a tray with a huge bowl of popped corn on it. “The beers are on the sink, Wills,” the tall blond grinned at her partner.

When Willow scurried off to the kitchen, Buffy snorted, “Willow is more excited then me,” she giggled.

“Yeah,” Tara stammered shyly, “Wills is thrilled that you’re here with us. She knows how unhappy you’ve been, with Riley and all…..” Tara’s soft voice trailed off.

“That’s going to be resolved,” Buffy replied with determination. “Soon,” she finished with a grin.

“I’m glad,” Tara nodded, setting the tray down. “Oh,” she continued seriously, “I gave your William our E-Mail here. He can E you anytime and a special notice will pop up for you. Why don’t you go check the computer now? I’m sure….”

Before Tara could say another word, Buffy was at the computer and logging on. She noticed right away that there was a message for her from a cryptic moniker of WlovesB.

‘I miss you Princess.’ The E mail began. ‘I can’t wait to hold you again and show you how much I miss you.’

Buffy giggled and blushed at this promise!

‘I’m planning on coming to the apartment in a day or so, when the birds will be at work. Then you and I can, well, you know.’

Again, Buffy giggled at Will’s genteel wording.

‘Until then, I’m sending you a poem I wrote you; once upon a time, some seven years ago. Please don’t be sad by it, because it is truly what I felt ‘then’ but now, we’re back together; reconciled, and I know we’ll never be parted again.

I hope you like it, Princess, love you desperately, W.

“I tear my heart open,
I sew myself shut.
I feel so broken,
And so cut.
My heart is waiting,
I’m anticipating,
For you.

Set my soul free,
Or just leave me be.
My spirits frozen,
This heart has grown old.
My love for you is old,
Yet you’ve torn me apart
And broken my heart.
Leave me be, or…..
Bring me back to peace.
We were two of a kind,
Bring me back to my peace
Of mind.
Let our love live again and
Let me rest in peace…..
With you.”


‘Remember, I love you and you love me. That poem was written when I was in a dark, unholy place. Now I’m in heaven again, with you. I love you, W.’


Buffy sat at the computer, crying uncontrollably. This time however, the tears were not from sadness; but from joy.


A/N: Hope that wasn’t too sappy. The poem was written by someone very special to me, my daughter, Monique. She’s only 14 and I was proud of this poem and she told me I could use it in one of my stories.

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.