Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for reading this and reviewing.
Chapter 21: ‘The Cat’s Out Of The Bag!’


Summary: Spike and Buffy tryst in LA. Riley gets a call from Hank Summers and gets suspicious. Buffy and Spike are in danger and they don’t even know it.




“I’ve missed you,” Spike whispered into Buffy’s warm little ear as he thrust into her body. “Missed you more then I can say,” he added sincerely. “I love you Buffy,” he added with a whimper.

“I missed you too,” Buffy murmured, thrusting up to meet his hips with hers. “And don’t worry, I know how ‘much’ we’ve missed each other,” she paused briefly from her movements to giggle softly.

“You little minx,” Spike gasped again, pushing into her wildly, a wicked grin on his mouth. “You will be the death of me,” he added huskily.

“Demon lover,” Buffy chuckled saucily, again thrusting her hips up to meet his. “You’ll be the damnation of me. But, I don’t care, I love you,” she finished with another gasp of pleasure.

They had been making love for hours that day, in Willow and Tara’s apartment. The two women who leased the place were discreetly out of town for a night, allowing Buffy and Spike to be alone together. They were alone, unobserved and totally free to express their love for each other.

Afterwards, as they lay, cuddling in the afterglow, Spike and Buffy whispered together. They made their future plans and talked of their daughter, Dawn. Everything was perfect, as far as they were concerned. However, the couple was oblivious as to what was transpiring on the other side of the City of Angels.

In the rolling Hills of Beverly, Riley Finn was sitting in his study; in his great mansion. He was alone and brooding about Buffy and why she wasn’t with him tonight.

“It’s nearly midnight,” Riley muttered with resentment, “and Buffy’s probably asleep, at the two bitch’s place. All sound asleep and not missing me at all, I’ll bet,” he grumbled in self-pity.

Suddenly, the phone in his study rang shrilly, breaking into his morose self-pity party.

‘Probably Buffy’s fucking, worthless parents,’ he surmised as he checked the caller ID. The phone call was from some Italian number and since the Summers were there, summering….

Riley had to giggle, wickedly at his little pun and he fumbled with the phone receiver when he grabbed for it. ‘Just what I need,’ he grumped, ‘Hank or Joyce fucking with me tonight when Buffy’s gone. Christ, I hope I don’t have to explain her absence!’

“Yeah,” Riley slurred curtly, feeling the effects of all the whiskey he’d drank that evening.

“Riley, it is Hank,” came the deep timbre of Buffy’s father’s voice.

‘No shit,’ Riley thought more then a little put out that his future father-in-law was intruding on his solitude.

“Yeah, what’s up, Hank,” Riley mumbled under his breath. “It’s just after midnight, Hank, what do you want?”

“I want to know what the fuck is going on over there!” Hank cried. “My wife called Dawn’s school, earlier and talked to some lackey of Father Johnathan’s. He informed us that our granddaughter has been removed, permanently from the school. Is Dawn there? With you and Buffy? I thought…..”

“What!” Riley gasped. That sobered him up, instantly. “What the fuck do you mean? Of course Dawn’s there, at the school. Buffy just came home, two days ago from Sunnydale, after tellin’ Dawn that she was her mother.” Riley was completely blown away by now and totally confused.

“Let me talk to Buffy,” Hank spat the order.

“I, I can’t,” Riley stammered in a strangled voice. “She decided to spend the rest of the pre-wedding time at her friends’ place. Buffy,” he continued weakly, “she wanted to make the wedding night special and…..”

“You mean to tell me that my daughter is not with you? At your house and that she’s taken Dawn out of the school without your knowledge? Jesus Christ, Riley, what the hell is going on! Don’t you have any control over my daughter at all!” Hank screamed over the phone, barely able to keep control over himself.

“I don’t know,” Riley whined, hating himself for his weakness. “But I sure as fuck plan to find out what the fuck is going on,” he added menacingly. “Let me handle this, Hank,” he finished with a growl. “Buffy’s been acting really weird lately and I passed it off as pre-wedding jitters but now? Just let me handle this, right? I’ll fix everything.”

Riley hung up his phone and picked up his whiskey tumbler. He took a good long drink before he hit the intercom button that would connect him to Graham’s room in the mansion.

“Graham,” Riley barked to his minion, “get your ass out of bed. I need you to go over to Tara and Willow’s place and stake it out. No, don’t ask questions, just go. I don’t care if Sarah Michelle Gellar is in bed with you, herself, got it! Just go, now and stake the apartment out. I want to know what the fuck is going on there!”


“I’ll miss you, even more now,” Spike whispered sadly as he got dressed. The clock on the mantel of the bedroom struck 5:00 AM and he knew he had to leave before he wasn’t able to.

“I know,” Buffy murmured, wistfully. “But soon we’ll all be together again, right Will?” She asked with huge, hopeful green eyes.

“Oh yeah,” he chuckled in reply, leaping back onto the bed to join Buffy once again. He rolled over onto his back, pulling her on top of him.

“You had really better go,” Buffy sighed reluctantly, placing a tender kiss on his lips. She pulled away from him and slipped out of the bed.

“I know,” Spike repeated her words from just a moment earlier. He finished pulling his clothes on and grabbed Buffy by her tiny waist.

Buffy walked William to the door of the apartment, their arms entwined together. Her heart was heavy, but she knew, truly, that this was only a temporary situation for them. Soon, they would be together; her, William and their daughter Dawn. The rest of the world be damned for all she cared.

“I’m due at Finn’s,” Spike muttered with resentment, “around noon today,” he finished with a frown. “I’ll be glad to see you, baby,” he added with a slight smile. “I just wish it wasn’t there at the mansion.”

“I know, but we’ll have to behave there, Will,” Buffy answered, deep in thought. “The more we play our parts? The sooner we take that moron down and we can start our new life together.”

“Too right,” Spike whispered, leaning down to kiss his Buffy’s lush little mouth. “I’ll see you later then, sweet,” he called as he strode out to his rented car.


Neither Spike nor Buffy noticed the dark, gray van that set across the street and down a house or two. They did not see Graham, who slouched down in the driver seat of the van, either.

With dark, menacing eyes, Graham watched as Spike Sinclair left that bitch, Buffy’s, best friends’ apartment. He had mixed emotions about this turn of events, however.

On one hand, Graham detested Buffy Summers and wished for nothing more then her demise in some way from his employer’s life. Graham felt that Buffy made Riley Finn weak in a number of ways and he hated her for that. However, on the other hand? Riley’s minion hated to have to break the news of Summers’ betrayal to his beloved boss.

After waiting until Spike drove off in the rented Cadillac, Graham pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and speed dialed his superior.

“Hey, Riley,” Graham stuttered a bit, unsure just exactly how to tell his boss that he’d been cuckolded.

“Well,” Riley grumbled, obviously the man had not slept all night, that was for sure.


“Riley, I’m not sure how to put this,” Graham stammered, suddenly a little apprehensive at being put in this position.

“Spit it out, man!” Riley barked impatiently.

“It’s Spike Sinclair, boss,” Graham began carefully. “He just left the two broad’s place. Buffy saw him off at the door and Riley, I have to tell you……Sinclair had the biggest shit eating grin on his face that I’ve ever seen.”

“Riley?” Graham spoke his master’s name cautiously. “Riley,” he repeated quietly, “What do you want me to do? I could follow Sinclair and kick his arrogant worthless ass if you want. I’d love to…..”

“No!” Riley roared in response. “Don’t do a fucking thing, Graham. Just come back here, to the mansion. I’ve got to think this out, carefully. I plan to maneuver Buffy over here anyway, today, and this just gives me more incentive to do it. I’ve got a plan in motion, already, for that deceitful little cunt! But Sinclair? That’s another matter entirely. I want to make that fucker squirm for this. He touched what’s mine and I plan to make him suffer for it, even if I have to torture him myself!”


A/N: Well, cat’s out of the bag, eh? This was a short chapter, but the catalyst for the angst that’s about to come. Riley is enraged, while Spike and Buffy are clueless to it at this point. Things are coming to a head, I promise.

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.