Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for all of your lovely reviews for this fiction. It's almost over now and I do appreciate everyone who read it.
Chapter 23: ‘Who’s Behind Door #1’


Summary: Spike and Buffy are in dire danger! So is Xander for that matter when Spike tries to make a deal with Riley, to save Buffy, but will he take it?

The title might make some sense by the end of this chapter.

A/N: I’m hoping this chapter gives you readers a bit of a surprise!!!


“Riley knows all about us, Will,” Buffy whispered desperately into her lover’s ear. Spike felt the tremor of fear rush through her body and saw the terror in her eyes.

Spike turned and faced his nemesis, Riley Finn, with a murderous glare. “Let her go, Finn,” he roared loudly. “Let her go and I’ll…..”

Riley began to laugh, maniacally, and spat, “you’re in no fucking position to make demands, Sinclair. In fact, you’re in deeper shit then my Buffy is!”

“She’s ‘my’ Buffy, Finn,” Spike growled, still clutching Buffy’s hand in his. “In fact,” the blond agent mimicked Riley’s snarky tone, “she can’t stand the fucking sight of you mate. Buffy figured out what a bloody monster you really are, years ago.”

“You’re not my mate, asshole,” Riley replied coldly through clenched teeth. “As for Buffy,” he continued smugly, “she’ll do what she’s told. Yeah, I’ve got a lot of persuasion over our girl there,” the dark haired thug smirked at Buffy who still lay on the couch.

“The fact is, Sinclair,” Finn continued as he pushed the intercom button on the wall. “Buffy is pretty simple, really,” he chuckled sarcastically. “Kind of like a little puppy,” he chuckled evilly. Riley winked at Buffy smugly.

Spike’s jaw clenched and he clasped on to Buffy’s little hand, tightly. “Buffy is not your puppy, Finn. She’s her own woman and…..”

“Buffy does what she’s told and obeys all of her master’s commands. Since I’m her master? She’ll come back around when I find that little bitch she’s hidden and…..” Riley’s voice trailed off and his face scrunched up in thought.

“You’re not my master, Riley,” Buffy retorted haughtily. “You’ll never be my master again. As for my daughter? You won’t find her, ever, not in a million years!” Buffy nestled into William’s strong arms and glared at Riley with daggers in her green eyes.

Riley hit the intercom button and spoke quickly, “Graham, Forrest, get in here,” he ordered. “Now,” he added gruffly. The two men entered the study and stood guard by the door.

“You know,” Riley began again in a quiet, deadly tone, “I just thought of something,” he hissed. The huge dark man closed in on Spike and Buffy, staring into Buffy’s fearful green eyes.

“Buffy there,” he pointed at his so called fiancé, “she’s simple, sometimes, and naïve, most of the time? The girl can make some major fucking mistakes, but she’s not a true slut, by nature that is. There’s no way little saintly Buffy Summers would have jumped into bed with ‘you’ so quickly unless….” He paused and gazed at Buffy again, then turned his angry glare on Spike.

“That tells me something super important,” Riley pursed his lips and glared back at Buffy. He rested his weak chin into his meaty right hand and his brown eyes were narrowed into slits.

“Super?” Spike inquired with a raised left eyebrow. “Tell me, Finn, did you study at Julliard to learn how to ‘talk’ like a real surfer dude or….”

“That tells me that ‘my’ Buffy knew you before, even before you came here. And that,” Finn rasped harshly, completely ignoring Spike’s slap at him. “Now that I think about it,” he continued in a gravelly voice, “Buffy did act fucking weird from day one of your arrival, Sinclair. “I think there may be a good chance that…..”

“So you’re actually ‘thinking’ now, Finn,” Spike retorted with a smirk. “Don’t let the pain of it hurt your bloody head,” he finished with a snort.

Spike glanced at Buffy, who was white as a ghost and his heart seemed to stop beating in his chest.

‘Oh, Jesus, Buffy’s terrified,’ he confirmed to himself. Buffy looked as if she was staring at death itself. Spike scrambled, mentally, to think of some way out of this mess, at least for her. He then glared back up at Finn who looked nearly as pale as Buffy for some reason.

“Jesus Christ!” Finn exclaimed wildly, as if he’d found the cure for cancer. “You’re the fucking sperm donor for the little bitch, Dawn, aren’t you?”

“Don’t bloody talk about Buffy and our daughter like that!” Spike barked angrily, lunging at Riley. He was caught, mid-air, by Graham and Forrest, who captured Spike in their vice-like grips.

“Tie this fuck up,” Riley roared his order at his men. Graham held Spike in a chair while Forrest tied him with a heavy rope.

“What? You keep rope sittin’ around, Finn? I mean, just for occasions like this?” Spike snarked, trying to cover his fear for Buffy’s and his own safety.

“Riley, please don’t do this,” Buffy whimpered, rising from the couch, shakily. “Just let us go, please,” she continued, “why do you care, really? I don’t love you; I never have. Why try to hold me or punish us,” she pointed at Will then herself. “Why hold me to you, Riley, when I don’t love you and you’ve always known that?”

“Love’s highly over-rated, babe,” Riley hissed as he watched his minions tie up Spike Sinclair, to an easy chair.

‘Easy chair,’ Riley chuckled to himself sardonically. ‘There’s nothing going to be ‘easy’ for you Sinclair,’ he reasoned with a wicked gleam in his dark eyes.

“Riley, please…” Buffy began again, but Riley pushed her back down on the couch.

Spike tried to leap out of the chair, but it was no use, he was secured too well in it. With a cry of rage, Spike pulled at the ropes that bound him to the plush chair.

“Leave Buffy alone!” Spike roared like a lion, protecting his mate. “I swear to God, Finn, when I get out of here…..”


“Don’t be such an ungrateful fucking prick,” Riley snorted, flopping his ass down next to Buffy on the couch. “That chair you’re tied to costs more then most dudes make in a year. As I see it, I’m being pretty fucking gracious, Sinclair. I could just have your ass thrown on the floor while my guys there beat the shit out of you. Damn, man, be thankful that I have some class!”

“There isn’t an inch of class in your sorry ass, Riley,” Buffy hissed from her place on the couch. “Spike has more class in his left ball then you have in your whole worthless body,” she spat in disgust.

“I’d be careful if I were you little girl,” Riley hissed, his voice was venomous and hateful. “If you’re a good little well behaved cunt? Maybe at least ‘you’ can get out of this, still intact and still my bitch.” Finn reached over and ran his hand down Buffy’s pale face, obviously stung when she cringed at his touch.

“Don’t touch her!” Spike growled through gritted teeth.

“I’ll do as I fucking please, asshole,” Riley hissed, grabbing Buffy around her shoulders and pulling her to him, roughly.

“Like I said, Sinclair,” Finn rasped, “you have no control here, at all. Buffy belongs to me; she always has and she always will!”

“Over my dead body,” Spike hissed angrily.

“That’ll be arranged,” Riley quipped as he placed a sloppy kiss on the top of Buffy’s golden head.

“Don’t touch me, asshole,” Buffy barked, trying to pull away from Riley. “I’ll never let you touch me again, you fucking moron,” she finished by biting Riley’s meaty hand.

“Fucking bitch!” Riley cried, clasping his in pain. “You drew blood, you little cunt!” He roared and then slapped her, hard, across her face.

Buffy fell back against the couch, whimpering in pain herself. Spike bellowed like a bull and tried again to escape from the ropes he was tied with. To no avail.

“I doubt you’ll be getting out of there too soon, alive that is,” Graham laughed wickedly. Forrest held Spike down in the chair, as if he needed to.

Spike gazed at Buffy, his blue eyes filled with sorrow for her. He took a deep calming breath and glared back at Riley. After he swallowed hard, Spike spoke, quietly:

“Let Buffy go, Finn. Let her go and I see to it that you don’t suffer too much, in prison that is.”

“Will,” Buffy whimpered, “no!”



Riley looked at Spike as if he’d grown two heads. “What the fuck! I thought your real name was Randalph or some such shit, Sinclair.” He asked in shock; his mouth was gaped open like a hooked fish.

“I’m with the FBI, Finn,” Spike stated evenly, “I’m an undercover agent and you’re my target. If you let Buffy go, now? I’ll make sure that things will go easier for you, in court I mean. You know it’s over, Finn; it’s been over for you for years. All’s you’ve been doing is marking time, staying one step ahead of the law. When you murdered Meers, among others, you sealed your fate.”



Riley just stood, frozen in place, still in shock apparently. The huge man just stood and listened in disbelief as Spike rambled on.

“We’ve had you cornered for a long time, Finn,” Spike continued. “Think about it; if I could go undercover, infiltrate your organization and get this close to you? My real name is William Giles, sound familiar? I scammed Harrington and your monkey boys back east, everyone. I’m good at what I do and my father is Rupert Giles, who, by the way, I called before I got here today. I knew something was off, Finn, so I called my old man and he’s probably on the way, even now. You’re truly fucked, Riley. “

Spike couldn’t help but shoot Riley a sadistic smirk, just before Graham belted him in the jaw with his fist. The blond felt his jawbone crack and the searing pain that accompanied it.

“Graham,” Riley rasped, his dark eyes never left Spike’s. “You and Forrest go pay that little worm, Alec Harrington a visit. I don’t believe Giles here for a minute. Even if Spikey is tellin’ the truth? Harrington is no loss to us. Go take him out, just in case,” Riley barked harshly. Then he turned his hate-filled gaze to Buffy who still lay on the couch, her face already dark with a bruise from his slap.

Buffy felt physically sicker then even before. She could not get the vision of the man she’d come to know as Alec Harrington out of her mind’s eye. All Buffy could envision was the kind-hearted FBI agent, William’s friend and partner in the law. The thought of Riley’s men murdering the poor clueless man broke Buffy’s heart. That and the thought of Xander’s devastated fiancé made Buffy want to scream, desperate for air.

“You knew, didn’t you?” Riley asked Buffy in a deadly calm tone. “You knew who Sinclair really was and you fucked him anyway, didn’t you!” Finn nearly leapt back onto the couch and grabbed Buffy. He shook her, hard, and slapped her again, in the same spot on her face.

“Riley,” Buffy screamed as she flinched away from him. “I…..” she began, but William cut her off.

“Buffy didn’t know anything about me, Finn,” Spike exclaimed. “She had no idea what I’d become, not until after…..”

“Until what, Giles? Until you had already fucked her?” Riley growled with bared teeth. He still had Buffy by the arms and was tightening his vice-like grip on her.

‘Jesus,’ Spike thought in horror, ‘the fuck will snap Buffy’s little arms like twigs if he squeezes any harder.’

“Boss, are you sure you want us to go?” Graham stuttered, just a bit unsure of himself or the situation, suddenly.

“Get the fuck out and do what you’re told!” Riley roared like a lion. “Now!” He screamed wildly.

Graham and Forrest hurried out of the study and slammed the door behind them. Riley turned his enraged glare back at Buffy.

“You’ll make it out of here today, baby, alive that is,” Riley hissed into Buffy’s ashen face. “But lover boy over there is dead for sure. Do you understand what you’ve done, bitch? You’ve betrayed me, Riley Finn and served your fuck toy up on a silver platter to me. I don’t share what’s mine, Buffy and ‘you’ of all people should have known better!”

“I’m gonna’ give you a break though, sweetheart,” Finn grunted, pulling Buffy up from the couch as he stood. He strode over to where Spike was tied up, dragging Buffy with him.

“Let’s say I actually believe asshole here,” he nodded at Spike just before he kicked the bound man in his groin. Spike let out a groan of pain.

“Oh, Will,” Buffy whimpered in sympathy, trying to reach out for him. “I’m so sorry,” she cried.

“Let’s say I really buy the ‘she didn’t know who I was, really’ bullshit,” Riley continued smugly, ignoring the lovers’ agony.

“Well, maybe I just will force myself to buy into his crap and after he’s out of the picture? You and me ‘will’ get married and go on, just as planned. Understood, Princess?” Riley clenched his jaw and held Buffy up, her feet dangling above the floor so he could face her at eye level.

Buffy began to shake her head, slowly, back and forth. “No,” she whispered under her breath. “I’ll never let you touch me again, and for the record? Will being an FBI agent just made our love making together that much better, Riley! Every time he fucked me; I thought about him taking you down and came immediately!” Buffy grinned evilly at Riley, then spit directly into his smug face.

Riley shoved Buffy down on the floor then placed his booted foot into her chest to hold her down. “Suppose I fuck you, right here and now, sweetheart? Do you think lover boy there could ever look at you the same if I did that, right in front of him?”

Buffy tried to slide away from under Riley’s boot but to no avail. The huge man was just too heavy and strong for her to escape.

“God damn you, Finn,” Spike hissed at Riley’s back, the pain in his voice betraying him. “Get the fuck away from her you idiot. She’s no harm to you. Why can’t you…..”

Suddenly, the study door flew open and Andrew burst inside. In his hand he carried what appeared to be a 357 magnum.

“Get the hell away from Miss Summers, Finn,” Andrew roared at Riley, cocking the gun and pointing right at Riley’s head.


A/N: Okay, so I hope this was kind of a surprising twist. I’m not really happy with this chapter, but I couldn’t seem to write it in any other way.

Next chapter? What will happen to our Spuffy couple; Andrew, Xander and yes, even Riley? Stay tuned.

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.