10 weeks earlier.....

“No” Spike had calmly denied.

“But Spike, her birthday is in a few days. We have to do something!” Dawn was using her best hurt little girl voice.

“Look Bit, she already said she didn’t want anything. In fact, she wants you and all the girls out of the house on Friday. I’m not inclined to argue with her on this.” Spike was busying himself trying to make some breakfast for all girls now living there.

“Dawn, I’m not one to agree with Spike on anything,” Willow had said as she walked in the kitchen, “But he’s right. Every party we try to throw for Buffy end in chaos and destruction. Heavy on the destruction.”

Dawn simply stuck her bottom lip out and tried to pout. Maybe that would get them to do it. Couldn’t hurt.

“Bit, you can stop giving me that look. Not gonna work this time.” He had seen her display from the corner of his eye.

“Oooohhhh, you guys are impossible!” Dawn had shouted as she stormed out.

“Red, since you’re feeling agreeable, I need a favor.” He spared a glance at a wary Willow. “I want to do a spell for Buffy, for when everyone is gone.” Willow was just staring at him as though he had spoken Swahili. “Look, I know I don’t usually go for the magicks, but she deserves a decent birthday for once. Maybe a protection spell or something”

Willow thought about what he had said. She didn’t want to say it but she knew Spike was holding on to hope for Buffy. She also knew Buffy was holding on to Spike. Of coarse neither one would admit it, but they were.

She watched Spike as he finished the pancakes for the girls. She had thought a lot about Spike and Buffy since his rescue from the First. She almost thought she could hear Tara whispering in her ear sometimes, telling her to watch them together. She had seen the laughs. The little touches they didn’t even seem to notice. The way her and Tara had been once. Maybe they just needed a little something to push them in the right direction.”


“I have a better idea Spike. Have you heard of the Pentain Spell?”

“Um, yeah, vampire here.But I'm not seeing where you're going here, Red. That spell only works on vampires and it’s not that effective. Most time it works less than a day.” Spike was now staring at Willow. What was she up to?

“What are you up to?” He asked

“I want to do the spell for you. As a birthday gift for Buffy. You could do all the stuff normal guys would. You know, dinner and some girly movies. Veg on the couch. Something normal for Buffy.”

“Something normal.” Spike thought to himself that it sounded a lot simpler than it was. “Look Red, I’m not holding out anything for us, I just...”

“Spike, I want to give her what she deserves. Maybe then she can move on, see what she’s missing with a normal guy. You can’t tell me you don’t think she should.” Willow really hoped she wasn’t pushing him too hard, but she was certain this last reason would get the desired response.

Spike looked really hard at Willow. He was sure she was up to something, but Buffy did deserve to move on and find what she deserved. “OK. But you better not mess up the mojo....turn me into a Parvo demon or anything like that.”

Willow beamed her happiness. “OK then. Friday afternoon before she gets home. That way you can surprise her.”

**********

“Bloody hell, do you really have to do all those symbols?” Spike asked. She had painted a half dozen strange symbols on his back and chest.

“I think that I can stretch the spell out to a full 24 hours or more. I’m almost done.” She finished the last symbol and started lighting the candles. She handed Spike a jar as she started lighting the candles. “Circle” she instructed him. He gave her a very annoyed glare and then did as he was told. “Now, sit.” He did as he was told, albeit still glaring at her and Willow took her seat in front of him.

The witch was now chanting in what he recognized as Latin. She said about six lines and then started to take on a strange white glow. Spike nervously watched her. Then all but the candle in front of him suddenly blew out and the basement was filled with a wind that seemed to be burning every inch on Spikes body and he started involuntarily shaking.

The next thing Willow knew, Spike was screaming and thrashing around on the floor. His back arched up in pain. This went on for several seconds and then with a loud gasp from Spike it was over and he lay there unmoving and not responding.

“Spike? SPIKE?” She was shaking him. Suddenly his eyes flew open and he started taking huge gasping breaths of air. Willow quickly felt his wrist for a pulse. It was there. It had worked. He was alive!

“What...did it..” Spike was trying to speak between gasps.

“Spike, it’s OK. Just breath slowly. In and out. In and out. That’s it. How do you feel?” Willow asked cautiously.

“Like I’m bloody dying. God, what’s that pounding?” He asked

Willow laughed. “It’s your heart beating Spike.”

“Oh. Right then. It worked?” Spike sat up. He felt rather odd, but also pleased. The witch had done it.

“Now, on to phase two.” Willow said as she helped him stand.

tbc...