Author's Chapter Notes:
You guys have been great. Much better than I expected. I can't thank you all enough!


“Twins?” Willow had asked as if he had misspoken. Then she thought a second. “Twins,” She repeated and seemed a little please with the knowledge. Buffy would be happy. She had confided to Willow that she was actually beginning to like the idea of having a child.

“Well, now that oracle’s words make a little more sense,” Willow pointed out.

“No, it doesn’t. He said ‘of two souled ones and a slayer’. It still doesn’t make any sense,” Angel said. “I haven’t been human in a couple hundred years.”

“Well, it doesn’t matter right now. We still have to get Spike back to not insane land. And I’m figuring he’s not gonna heal too well if he doesn’t feed soon,” Willow said, shooting eye daggers at Angel.

“I don’t know what to do for him. He’s punishing himself and he has to want to stop. I don’t see that happening until she wakes up.” Angel and Willow both seemed to be pondering that statement when Buffy’s heart monitor alarmed for a few seconds but then stopped. Angel saw Spikes head snap up and Angel looked at Willow with concern apparent on his face.

“It does that every so often,” Willow quickly supplied, but noticed Angel didn’t relax for several seconds. That was when the alarm sounded again. This time, it kept alarming.

************

Buffy was sitting on a blanket on the grass in the meadow down by Creighton Park. It’s so beautiful here, she thought to herself. She was watching two small children chasing each other around in circles. They were playing tag. There was a little boy with dark sandy blond hair and a little girl with dark brown hair. Buffy felt so content to watch them laugh and play. Everything was so wonderful here. So peaceful. No pain, no monsters, no worries, just always the same beautiful children playing happily without any care. She wished she could stay here forever.

“If you stay, they will never be.”

Buffy looked up to see a small boy standing next to her. “You’re new.” She said cheerfully.

“No, I am very old,” The boy said rather sheepishly. “And it is time for you to go back.” Now he looked very serious. “If you don’t go, they will never be and your souled one will be lost to eternity.”

“But I want to watch them,” Buffy said reluctantly.

“You will. But only if you go back now. It is time for you to choose. You have been there before, and you will be again, but you must choose when… now. Which journey will you make?” The boy said extending his hand out to Buffy. She stood and took it, casting one last glance at the two children before walking away.

************

Several nurses came rushing in the room and quickly began checking wires and grabbing equipment. Spike had somehow stood up and was backing up toward the wall shaking his head and mumbling ‘no’ over and over. Angel had grabbed Willow and pulled her out of the way as best he could to let the nurses work. A doctor had come in the room and was barking orders. A mask had been placed on her face and was pushing air into her lungs. A nurse was doing chest compressions, another putting medication in her IV. Angel tried to listen through the noise, but he couldn’t hear Buffy’s heart at all and the two faint ones were slowing and were now irregular.

Just as the doctor put the paddles on Buffy’s chest the room filled with a gasp and everyone stopped. It was from Buffy. Everyone in the room was holding their breath as the monitors proclaimed that there was indeed a pulse now. Then another breath. Angel could hear the faint, fast beating hearts speeding up again. Buffy’s eyelids fluttered a bit and there was a faint groan.

The doctor had quickly run some checks and looked at the three people huddled in a corner of the room and smiled. “She’s coming out of it,” He proclaimed. “Scared us for a second there, but she’s back with us.” He had issued several orders and it had been almost an hour but the room had finally cleared out again.

Willow finally glanced around to see Spike huddled on the floor, and staring into space. She bent down and shook him gently, then firmly. Willow looked into his face and saw that he wasn’t really there.

“Angel,” Willow called. He had moved and was now sitting on the edge of the bed. Buffy was still moaning a bit and hadn’t really opened her eyes. Angel glanced over at Willow. She looked concerned.

“I think we lost Spike.” She motioned down at the unmoving, unspeaking vampire. Angel took one look at him and knew that they had.

Angel moaned and rubbed a hand over his face. “Must have been during all the commotion.”

“Spike.” The whisper was so tiny, only Angels ear had picked it up.

“Buffy?” Angel nervously glanced around again at Spike then back to Buffy and he reached a hand to push back a strand of hair in her face. “He’s here baby. Willow is here too.”

“Where am I?” Buffy’s eyes slowly opened and blinked a few times as her brow creased. “Angel?”

“Yeah.” Angel gave her his patented half smile. “You’re in the hospital. Do you remember what happened?”

Buffy thought for a second. Why would she be in a hospital? Her brain tried to recall exactly what happened. Demon. There had been a demon. No, the last thing she remembered were two children in a park. Had the demon attacked the children? No, that didn’t seem right. The demon had attacked her. A Mowrok had attacked her. Children...

“Oh god, the.....” Buffy’s eyes grew wide with terror as her hand instinctively covered her abdomen.

“They’re fine Buffy.” Angel had placed his hand over hers.

“They?” Buffy looked at him with confusion until it registered. They, as in more than one. The children. The boy and girl she had been watching. They were hers. She didn’t know how she knew now, but she did. She smiled faintly at the memory of watching them and tears began to fill her eyes. She glanced back up at Angel and saw that he looked almost pained, even though he was still smiling at her, and she
pulled him down and weakly threw her arms around his neck.

They sat there like that for a long time. Long enough that Willow had left the room and come back. Willow was glad to see them, but also a little worried. What were they going to do with Spike now? She cleared her throat and Angel pulled back from Buffy.

“Giles should be here soon. Angel, maybe you and him could get Spike back to the house, or at least out of the floor maybe?” Willow asked tentatively.

“Spike is here?” Buffy asked trying to sit up a little. “Where’s he been? Floor, what floor?”

“Um, that floor.” Willow pointed to the corner Spike was still sitting in. He still hadn’t moved at all or spoken.

“Spike?” Buffy called over to him, looking around Angel, to see him sitting there.

“Buffy, I don’t think he hears you.” Angel was trying to catch her eyes.

“What do you mean he can’t hear me, he’s right there.” Buffy pointed at Spike’s form.

“Buffy, there was an incident earlier. Your heart stopped. I guess Spike couldn’t handle it,” Willow offered. “You should have seen him Buffy. He’s been a wreck since you’ve been here.”

“I can see that. Boy, something sure beat the heck out of him. Looks like Glory all over again,” Buffy off-handedly remarked.

Angel shifted nervously and glanced down at the floor. “Yeah, um, sorry about that.”

“You did that to him? Angel, you can’t keep coming here and beating up my boyfriends!” Buffy let slip before she caught herself. Boyfriend. She had called him her boyfriend. She saw Angel flinch and decided best to change the subject. “So how long have I been in here anyway?”

tbc...