Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to everyone who is reading this fiction. Thank you for the reviews. I really enjoy writing this, it's quite challenging for me, believe it or not.
I am going on vacation Wednesday, so I'm trying to update this, All Manner of Monsters and do the Epilogue of Dance of the Mates before them.
Thanks again,
Luv, Spuf
I'm going on vacation
JUSTICE FOR ALL


Episode 4:


Buffy stepped into her husband’s home office and surveyed the scene before her. William, or Spike as he was known in the legal world, was sitting, crossed legged on his office floor. His important papers were spread about him, somewhat the way Buffy placed her latest cut out recipes about her. In her home office space that is.

Except William had an additional factor involved here. Their only son, William Jr., was draped over his dad’s lower legs. The five-year-old boy was fast asleep, even as he dad scanned over the legal documents.

As always, this fatherly devotion by her William always gave Buffy a good old tug at the heart.

‘God he’s a great dad,’ Buffy thought warmly of her husband. She remained, silent as mouse as she watched Will scan the papers while he tried not to disturb their son, William.

William, or Spike as the legal world knew him, wore his practical wire rim glasses as he purveyed the paperwork. His dark brows were scrunched together in serious thought while he looked over the papers. There was a writing pen stuck in his mouth, sideways, Buffy noted.

‘He wears those silly but sexy glasses,’ Buffy giggled to herself. ‘Even though he wears contacts to help him see more clearly, that's fine by me!' She continued her inner conversation, ‘he looks so damned adorable with the glasses. I couldn’t bear to have him stop wearing them.’

“How was your day?” Spike inquired of his beautiful wife, quietly. His son, William, was napping on his lower legs and Spike had no intention of waking the boy.

“You heard me?” Buffy asked, still a little surprised at her husband’s stealth hearing ability.

“Yup,” Spike mumbled distractedly. “Sensed you the minute you showed in the door, Princess,” he admitted with a hushed chuckle.

Buffy quickly, but quietly sidled her way up to where her husband sat on the floor. She slipped off her heels and joined him, cross legged on the floor. Without a thought to the fact that she was wearing a rather short, expensive DNKY skirt that day.

Without a second thought, Spike automatically put his free arm about his wife and drew her to him. He was rewarded, happily, when Buffy rested her golden head on his shoulder.

“Tough case?” Buffy asked with genuine interest.

“Not really,” Spike answered, matter-of-factly, “just a little different. Nothing I can’t handle.” He shrugged his strong shoulders and clutched Buffy even closer to him.

“Will?” Buffy began in a soft, unsure voice.

“What’s bothering you, baby?” Spike asked his wife with a raised brow. He always knew when something was troubling her. Especially when she worried her bottom lip with her top teeth, just as she was doing right this moment.

“It’s Riley Finn,” Buffy responded softly.

Spike flinched at the mention of Buffy’s ex-boyfriend from over ten years ago. If Spike detested anyone, in the entire world? It was that bloody moron, Finn.

“What the bloody hell does he want?” Spike asked with a frustrated sigh.

“A favor, from you, this time,” Buffy sighed heavily. “He needs some legal advice. Seems he’s gotten himself in a little trouble with Internal Affairs of the LA Police Department. Riley claims he’s innocent, but IA down there is just gunning for his badge, I guess.”

Buffy gave her husband that ‘you’re such a wonderful guy. So above the pettiness that is Riley Finn and so many other guys.’

Spike could never resist that Buffy look, so…

“I’ll talk to him,” Spike mumbled under his breath as he continued to scan the paperwork in his left hand. At the same time, he ran his right hand through his fair, somewhat spiky hair, anxiously.

“Riley must need the best lawyer, sweetie,” Buffy shook her head sadly. “He’s really got himself into it this time and ‘you’ are the best, baby,” she cooed at him, sweetly.

“It’s just,” Spike continued with a scrunched up frown, “that I still hate how he hurt you. Back in the day, when you caught him with that other girl. Spose I should be thankful to the bloke, for screwing up his relationship with you. That’s when you came to your senses and gave me a chance to show you real love, eh?”

Spike’s frown suddenly turned into a wicked smirk as he leaned in to kiss his beautiful wife.

“Maybe,” Buffy giggled in reply, “but we both know, Will, that I would have ‘come to my senses’ as you put it, anyway. Eventually, that is.” She continued to giggle softly, as Will nuzzled her lips, jaw line and finally her neck.

“Yeah, you would have,” Will’s muffled chuckle sent nice tingles up Buffy’s sleek neck.

“Mmmmm,” Buffy purred in response to her husbands snuggling and necking with her.

“Mama!” Dawn (the II) Giles squealed as she tumbled into the office. The eldest Giles’ child had little Cheyenne in tow. Actually, she was practically dragging the youngest daughter into the room.

“Cheyenne’s hungry!” Dawn yelped loudly, waking her sleeping little brother.

“Well, we’ll just have to go get dinner then, huh?” Buffy kissed her husband’s cheek and stood up from the floor. She straightened her short skirt, carefully before continuing the supper convo.

“How about pizza!” Buffy exclaimed. “Pizza for everybody! I’ll even make a salad to go with!”

Dawn, little William and Cheyenne began to jump and down in excitement at their promised treat. It was rare that mama and daddy ordered pizza out for them. Buffy had this thing about fast food, ever since she’d worked at the Double Meat Palace. She had worked there, her freshman year of college, to help supplement her scholarships and grants for her education.

The awful memory of that greasy, nasty fast food place never quite left Buffy Summers-Giles. However, tonight was special, for her, Will and yes, even the kids.

Tonight, Buffy was going to return Riley Finn’s call and give him her husband’s answer. This was going to be priceless!

Without hesitation, Buffy pulled the piece of paper out of her pocket. On it was Riley Finn’s cell number, the one her secretary and scribbled down on the paper for Buffy.

Buffy dialed the number on her cell, right in front of her husband who still set on his office floor. He stared up at Buffy with just the tiniest hint of a pout on his handsome mouth.

“Hey, Riley,” Buffy greeted her ex-boyfriend over the cell phone. She grinned down at William, the elder, and winked at him, saucily.

“Yeah, you know, Riley, about Will helping you? Legally and all? I think you better seek legal advice closer to LA, okay? No, William said he would talk to you, but frankly Riley, he’s a pretty busy. With me and the TV show and…”

“Oh, thank you, yes, I love doing the show. Anyway, with me busy at the show? William so tied up with his law practice and the lectures he’s always doing? Oh, and of course the way he’s such a hands on dad with our three beautiful little rug rats? Well, it was me that put the kibosh on Will’s helping you. I am so sorry, but I’m sure that you can find a fairly good lawyer, closer to home there. If you’re innocent, as you say and I’m sure you are? Any old lawyer will do, I’m positive.”

Buffy clicked off the cell phone and tossed it onto Will’s office desk. The one she had picked out for him personally, just last year. She grinned at her husband first, then her three beautiful little rug rats.

“So, who wants pepperoni on their pizza?” Buffy asked cheerfully.

Spike grinned up at his wife, then slowly stood up and wrapped his long arms about her dear, tiny body.

“Thank you,” he whispered into her warm little ear as he gave it a little nip on the earlobe. “I really didn’t want to help that bloody ponce,” he murmured lowly, so the children wouldn’t hear.

“What’s a ponce, daddy?” William Jr. suddenly piped up, innocently.

Spike sighed and glanced down at his son lovingly. “It’s a kind of well, kind of a weak man, son,” he stammered uneasily. Buffy hated it when the kids heard his colorful euphemisms and he’d have to explain away this one, carefully.

Before Spike could continue his explanation, seven-year-old Dawn squealed in delight. “It’s Riley Finn!” The young girl cackled wickedly. “Mama’s old friend! Riley Finn! That’s what a ponce is, Willie!”

Buffy couldn’t control herself any longer; she burst out into raucous laughter and hugged all three of her children to her at once. William stood, sheepishly off to the side until Buffy crooked her finger at him and directed him to join them.

Spike embraced his whole tribe to him in a huge loving bear hug. This nearly caused them all to tumble back down on the carpet below.

“What about the pizza?” Dawn mumbled in a gravelly voice, her face scrunched up against her mommy’s chest.


“This is #116 on the docket, your Honor. Andrew Simmons vs. Warren Meers, Esq.,” Gunn’s deep voice boomed over the microphones. “All the witnesses have been sworn in, you all may be seated.” The baliff finished with a slight grin at the audience, Buffy noted.

‘Things must be going well for Charles and Miss Burkle,’ Buffy surmised silently. ‘I haven’t seen Gunn smile at the audience in ages.’

Meanwhile, out on the streets of Sunnydale…..

“This is Johnathan Levy, Attorney-at-Law. Judge Summers has a tricky case today. Apparently, Mr. Andrew Simmons is suing Warren Meers, Esq. for the return of monies paid for a supposed mint conditioned ‘Bobba Fett’ figurine, from the original Star Wars series. Unfortunately, when Mr. Simmons’ expensive action figure arrived at his home, the figure was damaged in some way. Mr. Simmons is suing Mr. Meers, Esq. for the return of his monies, or another, truly mint condition action figure. Let’s join Judge Summers and Bailiff Charles Gunn in the courtroom, now, in the case of:

‘The Nicked Knick-Knack’


“Mr. Simmons,” Buffy began soberly, “I understand that you ordered some kind of collector’s memorabilia? A…” Buffy scanned the paperwork on her judge’s desk. “A Star Wars collector’s item? One mint condition ‘Bobba Fett’ action figurine for, oh, this can’t be right?”

Buffy’s green eyes sprung wide in stunned disbelief. “For $2,511.99!” She almost glared at the plaintiff, one Andrew Simmons, in shock.

“Yes Maam,” Andrew Simmons nodded earnestly, his bright blue eyes glued to Buffy, fearfully.

‘He’s freaking terrified,’ Buffy noted and decided to be a little more gentle and serious with the young man.

“It was a special edition item, your Honor,” Andrew piped in before the next question. “Supposedly in mint condition and…” he glared over at Warren Meers, the defendant, angrily.

“It was in mint condition, you’re Honor,” Warren huffed through gritted teeth. “The incompetent Sunnydale postal service mishandled the item and put a miniscule nick in Bobba Fett’s right tubular ear. No big deal, really, but Mr. Simmons here wants to…”

“Mr. Meers,” Buffy sighed dramatically, “you will have your chance to debate Mr. Simmons’ testimony. Please keep quiet until I ask you questions,” she warned the nervous looking defendant.

‘I get smarmy vibes from him,’ Buffy noted to herself. ‘He’s a slick one, that’s for sure.’ She broke her concentrated gaze from Meers and went back to Andrew Simmons.

“When I received the order, you’re Honor,” Andrew continued with a smug smile, “it was appropriately and securely packaged. Just as it should have been. The Bobba Fett had to have been nicked as Mr. Meers called it,” Andrew mumbled as he glared at Warren again. “Bobba had to have been nicked and ruined before Mr. Meers sent it. I was deceived and cheated out of my mint conditioned Bobba Fett and I want my money back!”

Andrew Simmons surprised Buffy, Gunn and the whole courtroom by his apparently unusual harsh tone.

“Calm down, Mr. Simmons,” Buffy urged the young, slight built man. “We’ll get to the bottom of this, I promise.”

‘God,’ Buffy groaned internally, ‘where does my producer get these people. One hundred and eighty-million, plus, starving people in the world and these guys are buying and selling action figures for thousands of dollars!’

“I have never had any complaints for my merchandise before, your Honor,” Warren chimed in, defensively. However, it was only after Judge Buffy turned her apt attention on the defendant.

“It had to be the postal service that ruined the figure. I told Mr. Simmons that I’d be happy to touch up the figure, myself, to revert it back to its pristine condition. Even though it was not my fault to begin with and…” Warren was rudely interrupted by the excited Andrew.

“It can’t ever be pristine again! It’s so totally ruined!” Andrew yelped excitedly. “Once the nick is there, no one can fix it properly! I want my money back, or even better? A perfect, mint condition Bobba Fett, like you promised Meers!”

Charles Gunn took that moment to strode over, slowly, and stand in between the plaintiff’s and defendant’s podium. The big man first glared, menacingly at Simmons, then at Meers.

“Back off,” Gunn warned both men in his alto deep voice. The bailiff then nodded at Buffy to continue with the case.

“You have some kind of witness, Mr. Simmons?” Buffy asked the plaintiff in her most exasperated tone. This was getting ridiculous and she certainly had better things to do with her time today.

“My brother, Tucker Simmons, your Honor,” Andrew nodded at an older version of himself who sat on the witness bench. “He was with me when I received the merchandise and he can attest to the proper packaging of my Bobba Fett.” Andrew leaned over the podium and shot Warren a smug ‘so there’ glare.

Warren, for his part, just rolled his dark eyes and shrugged his large shoulders.

It took only a few moments for Tucker Simmons to convince the Honorable Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Summers that the Bobba Fett had indeed been packaged properly by the postal service. Buffy took even less time to come to her decision on the case. She wisely ruled in favor of Mr. Andrew Simmons and ordered Warren Meers, Esq. to return the plaintiff’s entire amount of money.



“Charles,” Buffy sighed as she flopped into her office chair, “I’m so glad I never got into the whole Star Wars thingy, you know?” Buffy was simply exhausted by the ridiculousness of the whole case and the one that followed.

“That was a pretty pathetic case, huh?” Charles Gunn chuckled loudly.


Later that evening, Buffy trudged into her front door, casually glancing about to find her family. Only Dawnie came running out of the kitchen to meet her.

Buffy noticed that her daughter was dressed in some ridiculously ornate costume. Dawnie’s hair was done in some suspicious, but vaguely familiar headdress. Before Buffy could ask what was up, Dawn squealed in delight and leapt into her mother’s arms.

“I got the part Mommy!” Dawn screeched in glee. “I got the lead part in the summer camp play!”

“Oh honey, that’s great!” Buffy responded honestly as she hugged her baby’s squirming body to hers.

“Daddy’s making a special supper for us! To celebrate and then him, you and me are going to go out to the movies, just us! Aunt Dawnie and Uncle R.J. are going to watch the little kids,” Dawn rambled on proudly.

“One thing though,” Buffy asked, a little puzzled scowl on her face. “I thought that the lead part in the camp play was Snow White? Are you dressed up like this to practice or what?”

“Nah!” Dawn giggled at her silly, clueless mommy. “This isn’t Snow White, silly Mommy,” the girl smirked at her mother. “I’m dressed up, in movie character costume. I’m supposed to be Amadila, Anakin Skywalker’s poor doomed wife.” Dawn finished on a truly dramatic note. “Daddy’s taking you and me to see ‘Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith’ tonight!”


Buffy groaned, rather loudly, in utter defeat.


A/N: I really enjoy writing this episodic fiction. It’s so fun to come up with ideas for court cases. The Spuffy family scenes are my fave to write, though.

Thanks for reading, please review. There’s a lot of ideas swimming about in my head for future episodes of this fiction.
Thanks, Luv, spuf