Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer in full effect!

I want to thank everyone who has been reviewing, if I haven't mentioned you, I swear it hasn't gone unnoticed. Also Sevvy_O gets the golden ticket for figuring out my little movie trivia. LOL! The movie was 'Nine Months' and it was my favorite line from Hugh Grant (damn those hot british guys!). Hope you all enjoy! Kuddos!
Xander made it to Sunnydale General in record time. Something about someone from the backseat telling him to punch it the whole way might have had something to do with it.

Once the car came to a full stop, Spike opened the door and gingerly slid his very pregnant and very in labor wife out of the car. Willow seemed to be two steps ahead of him because once he turned around she had a wheelchair waiting to take Buffy in. Helping Buffy into the chair, he left Willow to wait for Xander and headed straight for the elevator and up to labor and delivery.

Buffy felt like every time a contraction hit that her insides were being pulled out. One time when she was at one of her appointments, she had asked the doctor what labor would be like. He had told her it would feel like menstrual cramps. She should have known better than to trust a man, because this made cramps feel like a day in the park. Feeling yet another bout of pain on the way she gritted her teeth and squeezed Spike’s hand. This time she was unable to hold back and let out an audible groan. “NAGH…… I HATE YOU SPIKE!” And at that moment she felt like she truly meant it.

Spike was standing next to her chair holding her hand. When he felt her small hand tighten around his he looked down to see his girl in a world of pain. It broke his heart to see her like that, but he just kept reminding himself that it would all be worth it in the end. But when he heard her almost growl out that she hated him, he knew she must be pretty bad off. Crouching down beside her, he stroked her cheek softly. “I know you don’t really mean that luv,” he told her reassuringly.

Buffy snapped her eyes to him and gave him a menacing glare. “You wanna bet?” Her voice sounded almost sadistic.

Spike stared at his wife with wide eyes. She had gone from his sweet angel to an all out demon. Hesitantly, he kissed her now damp brow. “Well no matter what I still love you.”

Buffy was about to snap another nasty comment at him when another contraction hit her. “OHHHHHH!” This time it hit hard and fast with no warning, but luckily it didn’t last as long as the one before. She looked up at her husband with pleading eyes. “Spike it hurts, make it stop.”

Spike felt tears sting his eyes. He felt totally helpless because there was absolutely nothing he could do. Placing another kiss to her brow, he spoke to her in a soothing tone. “Don’t you worry kitten, as soon as we get you up stairs I’ll see if they can get you some thing for the pain.”

Buffy nodded and took a few deep cleansing breaths. Finally the elevator chimed signaling they had reached their floor. Carefully, he pushed her out the door and to the front desk.

When Spike saw no one at the desk he beat on it furiously and yelled out, “Excuse me, my wife’s having a baby. Do you think I can get some help?”

A small brunette came around the corner and smiled. “Yes sir, my name’s Pam. I’m gonna need you to fill out these forms here while I take your wife on back to let one of the nurses have a look at her.” Her voice was calm and sweet, but was slowly grating on Spike’s nerves.

Resolutely he told her “I’m not leavin’ my wife.”

Buffy tugged his arm so he would come down to her level. Once he was right in front of her, she gave him a weak smile. “Sweetie I’ll be fine. I promise to make someone come get you as soon as the nurse is done.” As soon as the words were out of her mouth, the nurse from behind the desk piped in. “She’s right, as soon as Betty, the head nurse does her exam, I will personally come out here and bring you on back.”

Spike unwillingly agreed and handed the chair over to the newest person on his shit list, Pam. Stalking over to one of the chairs, he began to fill out the forms for Buffy. Half the crap he had no clue on, but fortunately Joyce, Willow, and Xander came out of the elevators at that moment. With a sigh of relief, he held out the papers to Joyce and asked with pleading eyes, “Do you think you could fill in the blanks, ‘cause I haven’t a buggering clue.”

Joyce gave her son-n-law a warm smile. “Of course William, where’s Buffy?”

Spike let his frustration come back. “Nurse took her back and made me stay here to fill out these sodding papers,” he growled out.

Joyce let out a chuckle. “Oh William, this is just the beginning.” Feeling for him, she leaned over and gave him a quick hug. He may act like he was confidant all the time, but she knew that when it came to her daughter he was anything but. Taking a seat, she finished filling out the forms so they would be ready to give to the nurse when she returned.

Spike paced impatiently in front of Willow and Xander. He could really go for a smoke about now. Reaching in his duster pocket, he pulled out the pack of gum that Buffy made sure was always there and popped two pieces in his mouth.

Willow watched her friend pace in front of her, chewing furiously. Feeling slightly dizzy from watching, she got up and placed a hand on his shoulder to stop his movements. “Hey Spike don’t worry, Buffy’s gonna be fine. Last I checked women did this sort of thing all the time,” she told him light heartedly.

Spike gave her a half smile. “Thanks Red. I’m just bloody anxious to get back to her, she needs me.”

Willow gave him a bright smile. Spike really could be a big softy sometimes, but she would never say that to his face ‘cause as far as he was concerned he was the ‘big, bad man’.

Just as Spike was starting to feel antsy again, Pam walked in the room waving him to come on back. Looking back at everyone one last time, he followed her to the room Buffy was in.

Walking in the door, he saw his wife hooked up to all sorts of machines and he could hear a very loud whooshing noise fill the room. Taking the chair next to her bed, he leaned over and placed a soft kiss to her lips. Brushing the damp hair from her face, he asked softly, “How you feeling luv?”

Buffy looked at him with happily dazed eyes. “Much better. Nurse Betty gave me something to dull the pain so I’m fellin’ pretty good right now.” Her words were slow and almost giddy.

Spike couldn’t help but let out a chuckle. “Buffy you look like me after a good night of getting pissed. I’ll make sure to have the nurse put some of whatever you’re on in doggy bag for later.”

Buffy giggled softly. “Where is everyone?”

“Their all out in the waiting area; did you want me to go get them?”

As if on cue, the door opened and Joyce’s head popped in. “Hey sweetie! Would it be okay if we come in and visit for awhile?” Joyce had a huge smile on her face at the thought of her first grandbaby being here soon.

Buffy gave her mother a lazy smile. “Sure come on in.” Joyce and Willow filed in and Buffy wrinkled her brow. “Where’s Xander?” Willow let a huge grin play on her face. “He said he would wait for someone to come get him cause he wanted to make sure you weren’t gonna have the baby while he was in the room.” They all had a little laugh. Only Xander would do something like that.

As Spike left to get Xander, Joyce placed her hand on his arm to stop him. With a confused look on her face, she asked, “Is Buff alright, she seems a little…..” “Loopy” he finished for her. Joyce nodded her head. “Well, yeah now that you mention it.” Spike gave her a big smile and simply stated “Drugs.” Joyce gave him a knowing look and let him go fetch Xander.

Joyce crossed the room and sat in the chair next to her bed. Taking her baby’s small hand in hers, she asked, “How are you holding up so far?”

Buffy gave her mom another lazy smile. “Right now I feel pretty good, but ask me later when the drugs start to wear off.”

Willow looked at Buffy and asked, “So are you going to try natural birth or go with the epidural?”

Buffy turned and looked at Willow with a look that said ‘are you kidding me?’. “Well Willow when you’re gonna have to push out something the size of a watermelon, you can give yourself options because as far as I’m concerned that subject isn’t up for debate. I’m for the drugs all the way,” she told her friend matter of factly.

Willow and Joyce both got a good laugh out of the fact that the pregnant blonde was willing to beg, steal, and borrow to make sure she didn’t have to feel a thing. Just as they were getting into their conversation, the door opened and in walked Spike and a ghostly pale Xander.


Spike went straight over to his wife while Xander hung back for a moment. Xander had made the mistake of actually watching the birthing video in health class. Something’s your mind just never lets you forget. Timidly he approached the foot of Buffy’s bed. He looked at Buffy with a petrified look on his face. “So Buffster, you’re not gonna have the baby while I’m standing down here are you?”

Buffy let out a giggle. “No Xander, I promise not to have the baby while you’re standing down there, unless I can’t help it that is,” she said playfully.

Xander automatically brought himself to stand next to her head. Once everyone got a good laugh at his expense, they all fell into light conversation. They were suddenly interrupted by Nurse Betty. “I’m afraid I’m gonna have to break up the party so I can check on my patient,” she said jokingly.

Joyce, Xander, and Willow gave the blonde couple a hug before filing out the door to go wait in the lobby for Giles.

Nurse Betty went to the sink and washed her hands before walking over to Buffy’s bedside. “So how are we feeling Buffy? Is your little cocktail starting to wear off yet?”

Just as Buffy was about to open her mouth to say she felt fine, a small pain stuck her in her side. Giving the nurse a slight glare, she said, “Well of course since you had to ask, I’m starting to feel some of the pain again.”

The nurse laughed and shook her head. “Well let me check and see how far along you are, and maybe we can call Dr. Porter down for your epidural.” Reaching under the covers, she felt Buffy’s cervix to check her dilation. With a pleased look, she removed her gloves and looked at the expectant mother to be. “Well you’re effaced to 6 cm, so I’ll go ahead and give him a call. He should be down within the hour, so just sit tight and try to relax.” Buffy gave her a grateful smile and Nurse Betty went to make the call to the anesthesiologist.

After the nurse was gone, Buffy turned to look at Spike. “Well this is it, no turning back now. We’re gonna be parents.” Her voice was full of excitement.

Spike leaned in and placed a firm kiss to her lips. “And there is no one I would rather do this with than you. God Buffy, I love you so much.” With that being said, he gave her another kiss to her lips. When the kiss started to deepen slightly, Buffy pulled away in pain. Gritting her teeth, she hissed and took a deep breath through her nose and waited for the pain to subside.

Spike felt her tense and pulled back as if he had been burned when she hissed out in pain. Not knowing what to do, he just stared at her. When he saw her physically relax, he brushed the damp hair from her brow and asked softly, “Another contraction luv?”

Buffy gave him a weary smile. “Yep, all I know is that Dr. Porter better get his ass down here soon otherwise I’m likely to go to him.”

Spike kissed her forehead. “You’re doing great luv. I’m sure he’ll be here soon.”

Forty-five minutes later a thoroughly pissed off pregnant woman laid there cursing anyone who was not feeling the pain she was in. Spike sat by his wife’s bedside rubbing her back and trying to make her as comfortable as possible. They had even tried a warm shower to help with the contractions, but it failed miserably. Just when Spike was ready to hunt down someone to take his wife out of her pain, the door opened and in walked the chipper anesthesiologist.

“Hello, my name is Dr. Porter, but you can call me Ben. I think there is someone here who would like an epidural?”

Spike glared at the overly enthusiastic man. “Where the Bloody hell have you been? She’s been sufferin’ here for almost an hour.” He didn’t even try to hide his anger.

Ben looked over to Spike and gave him an apologetic smile. “Sorry, but it sometimes takes awhile to get everything ordered.” He kept his voice calm and even so he wouldn’t further irritate the blonde man in front of him.

Spike simply gave him a curt nod and turned his attention back to Buffy. Looking down he saw relief on his wife’s face. Leaning over he kissed her lips softly. “Alright luv, I’m gonna be here the whole time holding your hand.”

Buffy smiled at him gratefully. Spike had been absolutely wonderful through out the whole thing. Even when she had yelled at him and called him awful things he had simply told her he loved her and that it would all be over soon. Taking his hand in hers, she gave it an affectionate squeeze.

Ben brought his chart over to the bedside and began to explain the procedure. “Alright Buffy, I’m gonna need you to stand next to the bed and bend over as much as you can. When the monitor shows you’re in a contraction, I’ll insert the needle. You might feel a slight burning sensation, but you have to stay as still as possible. Do you have any questions?”

Spike was the first to speak. “What happens if she moves?” he asked with concern.


“Well the less she moves the better. If she moves too much there’s a chance of the needle damaging a nerve. I know it sounds dangerous, but I have been doing this for a few years now, and they have all been successful.” He told him reassuringly.

Spike turned to Buffy. “Kitten, are you sure you want to do this?”

Buffy looked at him with pain filled eyes. “Spike it’ll be fine, besides if I try this naturally, I’ll probably never let you touch me again.”

Ben had to bite his tongue to keep from laughing. If he had a nickel for every time he had heard a wife threaten her husband with that, he would never have had to go into medicine.

Spike looked back to Ben and said, “Ready when you are mate.”

Ben and Spike helped Buffy out of bed and into a comfortable position for the procedure. Once everyone was in position, they waited for the contraction to start. After a minute the lines on the monitor began to peak and Ben got ready to insert the needle.

Spike made sure he never let his eyes leave hers, whispering soothing words in her ear the whole time. When he heard her hiss, he kept repeating how much he loved her and telling her how proud he was of her. After a few minutes, they heard Ben’s voice. “All done. Buffy you did great.”

Spike helped her back in bed and made sure she was comfortable. Ben assured them that everything went smoothly and made sure her IV was hooked up and ready to go. Congratulating them both on parenthood, he slipped out the door and left.

Spike sat next to Buffy on the bed and ran his fingers through her hair. “You should try and get some rest luv, you’re gonna need all the strength you can get for when it comes time to push.”

Buffy gave him a warm smile and closed her eyes. Letting sleep take over, she let her mind wander off with her last thoughts being that when she woke up she would be bringing their baby into the world.


TBC


Thanks to stace, Blazing Fire, Brittany, lacey, blondiebear, shelly, Sevvy_O, baby spikes, gypsy_jin, and Becky for the awsome reviews. I know I sound like a broken record, but I really appreciate them! Kuddos!

Oh, and you will finally get to meet the newest addition to the Giles family in the next chapter!