Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much for letting me know that my stories are enjoyable. I really, really appreciate the readers letting me know that they are enjoying my work.

This is the final chapter... I know we all wished Buffy and Spike got a bit more kinky in the woods, and my intention was a PWP, but the characters took me on this journey of discovery.

Next to be update: Dawning of a New Day
Chapter 6

The cool wind whipped through her hair, tangling with unseen fingers. Gripping tighter, Buffy scooted closer to Spike on the narrow seat. While on the cliff, the temperature cooled; a storm front heading into the area. He sacrificed his jacket to her, adamant that he was not affected by the cooler temperature. He carefully slid her arms into the sleeves, folding the fabric until her tiny hands were visible. Kissing each hand reverently, he went to the task of buttoning her chest closed only to notice she slyly unbuttoned them before she settled behind him. Pulling herself closer, despite the thick leather lapels, she pressed her nose into his spine, inhaling his scent.

His muscles tightened and relaxed as he continued to guide the bike back to Sunnydale, despite her protests to stay at the cabin. She was needed home. Even her patented pout had no effect on him as he pulled her back into the forest and towards the cabin. She tried to coax him with promised sexual favours, only to be rebuffed. He refused her offer for a blow job and even her crass plea for him to stick it in her ass. He was not budging, she had to go home and she had to do it now. She swore to him, her promises and pleas were a one time thing; his smirk revealing he didn’t believe a word of it and knew she would be asking for something similar soon.

Hiding time was over, he said. Time to get back to real life and forget the fantasy the cabin afforded them. She wiggled against him, her hand exploring the muscular terrain of his body, squeezing and teasing where she could. She felt his lust grow as she continued trying to persuade him in to staying at the cabin, only for him to clench his jaw and ignore her ministrations.

Surprisingly, they entered Sunnydale without much of a bang; Spike drove past the city sign without even throwing a rock at the stupid smiling sun mascot. The bike ran through the quiet streets all too quickly, pulling into her driveway. The house was lit, light blaring in each room.

“Don’t they know electricity costs money?” She received the feeling of his silent chuckle, his head shaking as he kicked the motorcycle back on its stand. Holding on to him, she buried her face in his back once more, afraid to let go, afraid to keep her secrets hidden. She felt his muscles relax, enjoying her sudden change of heart by holding him in public.

She lifted her head and looked at the back of the house, Dawn’s shadow appearing in front of the sink, obviously doing dishes and anxiously waiting for her missing sister to return. She must be worried sick, Buffy paused. Would it be terrible if she just stayed out here and never faced the music? No, she needed to strong, needed to be there for Dawn.

“I need to go,” she whispered, hating the tears in her eyes. She hated everything now, anticipation of the lectures and hurtful glances ruining any joy she’d found at the cabin.

“Bit’s waiting for you. Better get a move on.” His body slumped as she started to get off the bike. “Just tell them we had to track down some snarling thing and ended up stuck by the day. No big deal, right?”

“Spike?” She said without thinking, she needed to stop thinking and start doing. Change the inside and now change the outside. “Come in.”

Startled, Spike cocked his head to the side and bit his lip. “Don’t worry, Slayer; I’ll back you up if they come a’asking.”

“No,” Buffy shook her head. “Don’t come in to back me up or to protect me from Dawn’s rampant teenage hormones. Come in because…”

His chest tightened, sudden pants leaving his dead lungs and he waited with baited breath. “Because?”

“Just because. No postponing the inevitable, no avoiding the gazes and accusations. Go in there not as my patrol partner, not as a vampire but as Spike. Spike and Buffy walking into the house.”

“That’s what you want?” he asked, still confused but more than a little fascinated with her proposal.

“No,” she denied.

Momentarily shocked, he paused and nodded. “Well, then. Better be off. Got cards to play and kittens to trade. Just hand over my coat and I’ll be gone.”

“No,” she tugged on his arm. “You don’t understand!” She stomped her foot and threw her hands in the air. She noticed Dawn’s shadow pause; her ears must have heard their discussion. “What I want is to walk in there, kiss you in front of everyone, declare that you are my boyfriend and they can stuff it if they don’t like it.” Pleasantly shocked, Spike almost lost his balance. “But I know I can’t. It wouldn’t be good.”

“You’re the Slayer; you can do anything,” Spike scoffed. Inside, the poet and demon rejoiced, she was handing him something she never did: a crumb.

Rolling her eyes, Buffy huffed and swept her hair behind her ears. “God, stop being so macho and just listen. If I go in there, shove it in their face that I’m all with the Spike horizontals and kissage, all I’m going to hear is that it’s wrong. Xander is going to pipe up about Angel turning all Angelus and that you have to be undead to get under my sheets. Willow is going to magick herself up a solution, probably including a ball of sunlight, you and wiping my memories so I’ll be the prefect Slayer.”

“Don’t forget verticals, they’re my favorite,” Spike mentioned as he lit a cigarette, idly watching Dawn’s shadow inch towards the back door, obviously listening to their argument. Buffy was getting sloppy, he mused. Allowing a discussion like this so close to the house, to the people she was trying to protect herself from. And now the Bit was intently listening, scheming to use the information to her betterment. He watched as she bent in front of the door, hiding her person from their view as the door creaked open slightly.

Running her hands through her hair, Buffy realized she was wearing his duster. Wrapping her arms around her, she stepped away and glared at him. “If you won’t take this seriously, mister, there will be no horizontals and no verticals for a long time.” Inhaling deeply, she paused and cocked her head to the side, clearly deep in thought. “I thought this is what you wanted.”

Quickly moving his gaze from the back door, Spike shrugged. “Isn’t the roses and champagne I envisioned.”

“For God’s sake, it isn’t a proposal.” Smirking, Spike ran his hand down his chest and hooked his thumb in his jeans pocket. “Stop being a jerk just because suddenly not so little ears decided to find their way out on the back porch to eavesdrop. I’m trying to do this, trying to be better… not hiding, no more secrets. Either you want to walk into that house with me and move forward. Or you want to stand out here and continue to argue.”

Suddenly they both saw a whirl of color and heard the sound of the back door slamming shut. Dawn ran into the house, leaving them alone once again. Smirking, he sauntered back to the bike and leaned on the seat. “Looks like someone’s getting sloppy.”

Rolling her eyes, she shuffled her feet and quickly took off the duster. “Here,” she tossed it towards him. “A normal person would think… ‘Hey, Buffy knows her sister is being a sneak and listening into her conversation, and yet, she doesn’t seem to care and pretty much says that we’ve been sleeping together. But, yeah… it must be because she’s sloppy’ and it isn’t because… oh, she’s tried of keeping all these secrets!”

Gobsmacked, Spike dropped his duster as he stood and quickly picked up. She turned away and started to walk towards the back door when he called out, “If we do this… if I walk in there… no more games. No more going back. I won’t be trapped in a box titled ‘Secret’ and I won’t just walk away.”

Turning around, she crossed her arms in front of her. “And?”

“What happens in five minutes when Red and the Whelp get into your head and suddenly ole’ Spike doesn’t look so good, once you’re convinced he no longer has feelings?”

Shaking her head, she held her hand out, “I don’t know… all I do know is… I can’t go keep going on like this, like we have in the past. I want to find out what the future may hold?”

“Together?” He moved forward, holding his duster in his left hand. She nodded and took a hold of his right hand. Moving in unison, they stepped up the stairs towards the door.

~*~*~

Standing quietly in the kitchen while looking out the window, Willow was deep in thought. Dawn just ran up the stairs, fighting teenage tears as her dream of being Spike’s girlfriend were officially squashed when Buffy announced her relationship to the group.

“Hey,” Buffy stopped in front of her friend, the kitchen island between them. “I know it’s a lot to…”

“You think?” Willow chirped. “I just don’t understand… all this time; why didn’t you tell me?”

Looking down at her hands, Buffy shrugged her shoulders. “Honestly?” At Willow’s nod, she continued. “Don’t know. Guess I didn’t want to hear any objections.”

Standing up, the young witch started to pace. “But all this time, Buffy. All the secrecy. We didn’t know what was going on, where you were at night and… you’ve been with Spike this whole time.”

Shrugging, the Slayer denied, “Not all the time. Sometimes I was just… around.”

“Didn’t you trust me?”

“Maybe I didn’t want to see all of the disapproving looks and pitying stares.”

“Like what?”

Gesturing towards her, she commented, “Like now. It’s all about how Buffy messed up again and how she isn’t the perfect Slayer.” Inhaling, she blurted, “I like Spike.”

Pausing in front of her friend, Willow plopped on a stool. “Like like-like him?”

Buffy raised her gaze and looked directly into Willow’s eyes. “Like-like him.”

Nodding, “Good.”

“Good?” Buffy was shocked.

“Yeah, good. I’m glad that you like-like him since you just announced that you two were sleeping together and everyone could bite you, but not in the vampire sense. It wouldn’t be of the good if you didn’t like-like him and were just using him.”

Agreeing, the Slayer nodded slowly. “I know.”

“You aren’t using him, are you?” Willow whispered.

Shaking her head, “No, not anymore… at first… he made me feel… I… didn’t feel anything after…”

“We ripped you from eternal peace?” The witch offered, looking guilty.

“Yeah… and he helped… and I felt… and he felt… and we felt… and I couldn’t stop it.”

“Like me with witchcraft.” Willow added knowingly. “Addicted. Are you still addicted?”

“Addicted in the healthy way, like as in I don’t want to hide in the shadows and beat up my lover kind of way.”

“I know I’d be addicted to the stamina,” Anya breezed into the kitchen and set a plate on the counter. She turned around and looked at the two girls’ shocked faces. “What? Everyone knows vampires have great stamina. Not to mention, they don’t quit until the job is done, very admirable. I know I wish….”

“Stop!” Buffy spoke up. “No wishing!”

Anya shut her mouth and shrugged her shoulders. “Anyway, we should have known. She’s been all glowy lately.”

“Now that you’ve said it,” Willow agreed.

“Said what?” Xander stepped into the kitchen and grabbed a cookie from the cookie jar.

“We should have known Spike and Buffy have been sharing orgasms because she’s been glowing.”

“No!” Xander shook her head and covered his ears with his hands. “I don’t want to know. I’m moving permanently to Egypt, I’ve heard they have a lovely river.”

Anya pouted while Willow glared at her childhood friend as the Slayer sighed.

“Xander!” Willow screeched. “We are being supportive and not judgemental.”

“Hey, not being judgemental. Nothing to be judgemental about. Nothing is going on. Buffy is still sixteen.” Buffy scoffed. “And not interested in boys, there is no such thing as demons and vampires and we do not live on the Hellmouth.”

“First off,” the Slayer stood her ground. “If you think I wasn’t interested in boys when I was sixteen, you’re crazy. Second, I’m dating a vampire and I protect the Hellmouth from opening.”

Spike stepped from behind the young man and commented, “We protect the Hellmouth.”

“We protect the Hellmouth.” Buffy amended and stepped beside him, her hand finding his.

“Oh, God!” Xander backed away from the supernatural couple. “You… and her!”

Looking at each other, the two had no idea what Xander was talking about and shrugged their shoulders. Spike’s hand disengaged from hers so he could wrap his arm around her shoulder, amazed that he had not woken from his wonderful dream yet.

“No, no invisible sex. No! I wasn’t there, I didn’t see…. Tell me I didn’t see you and him…”

Trying not to laugh, Buffy hid her face in Spike’s shoulder. Finally feeling whole even as she hid her smile. Revealing hidden secrets definitely did good for her soul.

The End.

A/N: Reviews are encouraged. If you liked this story, please read my other work or visit my webpage www.geocities.com/karbear57.