“Need I remind you I’m no longer a vampire,” Spike yanked his arm back when Fred approached it again with a familiar needle, “replacing all this blood you’re taking isn’t as easy as biting one of the gits around here for a refill.”

“I’ve barely taken any, ya big baby, now sit still and shut up,” Winifred hid a smile as she took his arm and drew another sample of blood for examination.

Buffy, who was standing behind him, made no effort to stop her smile at his complaining.

“I’m glad you find this amusing,” he surprised her by whipping around suddenly and seeing the smile.

“I’m not,” she denied then smiled up at him and ran her fingers through his hair. “You’re just so cute like this.”

“Cute?” he glared at her.

“Utterly adorable. Like a sulking little boy,” she teased as his glare intensified. “It’s a real turn on for me,” she whispered into his ear so it wouldn’t be overheard.

“Do you now?” he pulled back to arch a skeptical brow at her.

“Yep,” she slid her arms around his neck and nibbled at his earlobe. “Makes me wanna take you into your arms and do all kinds of adult things to you to stop that sulking.”

His arms wrapped around her waist and his hands cupped her ass and pulled her against him.

“Tell me more,” he did some nibbling at her ear until she moaned and tipped her head to the side encouraging him to move his lips down her neck.

“Did Fred hurt you with that nasty needle?” she teased pulling his left arm from around her waist and frowning at the puncture marks left by the scientist’s drawing blood. “Shall I kiss it and make it all better, baby?”

Her fingers were stroking over the warm skin of his inner arm and the gleam in her eyes sparked a matching fire in his as he tightened his other arm around her waist while bending to snatch a kiss.

All teasing faded away as she marveled at the still new feel of his moist lips being warm against hers instead of slightly cool against her heat. She moved both her hands back to his head to deepen the kiss and his arm instantly went back around her waist.

He was growing hard in his tight jeans and she relished the familiar feel of that hardness against her stomach as they opened their mouths wider to allow their tongues absolute access while her hands dug into his hair and his pulled up her shirt to get to her bare back. They were moaning and gasping for breath when they reluctantly pulled away for fill their hungry lungs then Spike pushed her backward until he found a low table to lift her up on.

Forgetting all about where they were Buffy wrapped her legs around his waist to grind herself against his erection as their mouths went back to devouring one another.

“Whoa whoa whoa,” Fred finally stopped watching the reunited lovers with a fond expression and rushed forward to stop the hanky panky when Spike’s shirt was removed with Buffy’s about to follow right afterward. “You can’t do that here.”

The shirt came off to reveal the slayer’s having foregone wearing a bra today and Winifred whipped away from the sight with her lower lip held thoughtfully between her teeth as she tried to think of a way to stop them before Angel or someone else wandered in to see how these tests were going.

“Christ, I’ve missed this,” Spike groaned against Buffy’s throat as they remained oblivious to the scientist in the lab with them.

“Me too. So much,” Buffy arched and moaned as his hands found her bared breasts. “More,” she squeezed him closer to her core with her legs while directing his mouth back to hers. “Need you so bad,” her hands went to the front of his jeans between kisses.

Behind them Fred ‘awwed’ as the beauty of the moment of such powerful love she was witnessing then she heard a zipper being lowered and squeaked in surprise. Hoping they wouldn’t kill her too painfully, she raised the only thing she could think of to stop them, aimed it, closed her eyes and fired.

“What the hell?” Spike reared back at the feel of something cold suddenly coating his bare back.

Buffy’s hands ran over his back, felt the substance and she snapped out of her little haze to stare in confusion at the foamy whiteness covering her palms.

“Sorry about that,” Winifred slowly lowered the fire extinguisher’s nozzle as the couple turned their heads to stare at her in disbelief. “I … I tried to you know stop you with talking, but I really don’t think you heard me and, um, this was all I could think of on short notice.”

“A bloody fire extinguisher? Are you daft?” Spike forgot about his pants being open and turned to face the woman.

With a shrill “Eep” of surprise, that made Buffy snicker as she realized the likely cause of that squeal, the scientist quickly turned to look the other way and Spike looked down to see what the brunette had seen to react so.

“So about that,” he grinned cockily and tucked himself back in his pants carefully. “Safe again,” he told the woman after pulling his zipper back up.

“You,” Fred peeked over her shoulder cautiously before relaxing a bit and facing them once again. “You should probably wash that off pretty quickly,” she put the used extinguisher aside and cringed apologetically at the man. “It’s chemicals so you probably don’t want it on the skin.”

“You don’t say,” he located his shirt and bent to pick it up.

Buffy shrieked when she realized he was no longer concealing her topless status from the scientist and she quickly snatched up her own top the was nearby on the table.

Spike stood again and the slayer quickly pulled her shirt back on as he began using his to wipe at the foam on his back.

“The shower would probably be a better idea,” Winifred said helpfully then rushed on when the couple exchanged a heated glance at the suggestion. “A cold shower for you,” she wagged a finger at Spike, “and you can wash your hands in the sink,” she informed Buffy firmly.

“Yes, mum,” the former vampire smirked and reluctantly helped his lover down from the table before heading off toward the showers not far from the lab.

With a sigh the blonde watched him go before going to wash her hands as instructed by the scientist.

~*~*~

Spike held a sleeping Buffy against his chest as he sat in a chair in the lab and watched the trio huddled across the room discussing him.

“I’m just saying that he’s exhibiting traits of both, not that he is both,” Winifred whispered with a slightly exasperated expression at Angel and Wesley. “He’s definitely human now. Nothing undead about him, there are just a few anomalies.”

“We need specifics here, Fred,” Wesley said firmly. “If any of these anomalies include a craving for blood we’re in a spot a trouble.”

“He is not a vampire,” the scientist snapped a bit louder than she intended and she looked up to see if the topic of conversation had heard her.

“Yeah, I heard you, pet,” Spike gave her a little salute. “And no craving blood here, you prat,” he informed Wes.

“He heard that?” Angel whispered to his companions.

“Yes, Liam, he has two fully functioning ears same as you that are hearing your every bloody word,” the blonde man snarled disturbing the sleep of the woman he held.

“What’s wrong?” Buffy sensed her lover’s upset and awoke quickly to determine its source.

“Sorry, luv,” Spike kissed her forehead and stroked her stomach where one of his hands rested. “Just arguing with the poof.”

“Arguing about what?”

“Our mad scientist here is all aflutter over something her bloody tests found and those two are thinking I’m still a big bad vamp in human clothing,” his blue eyes glared at Angel and Wesley. “Even though I passed their bloody demon’s test with flying colors.”

“What did you find?” the slayer rose to demand of Fred.

“Something I obviously should have kept to myself,” the brunette exhaled tiredly and removed her glasses. “Everything I’ve found indicates that he’s mortal now with the same human frailties we – most of us here have,” she glanced at Angel before continuing, “but there are indications of something more. He still appears to have the heightened senses of a vampire, hence his hearing us talk all the way across the room, and his reflexes are still much faster than that of a normal person. My preliminary test results suggest an advanced genetic structure with a hint of superior regenerative capabilities. I’ve also detected some kind of energy surrounding him that I can’t identify or locate a source for. But,” she said firmly in response to all the looks she was getting from those around her, “None of this is bad. It’s just curious and I believe it merits further study, but purely for the sake of scientific knowledge not because it poses any kind of threat. Lorne says he’s clean and all my tests completely back that up. He’s a flesh and blood human with … well, superhuman abilities.”

“Superhuman?” Angel, Buffy and Wesley all repeated with disbelief while Spike’s tone was rather pleased as he said it with them.

“The heightened senses, reflexes, genetics and energy all indicate that he’s retained the more desirable traits of a vampire while becoming fully human. Like a hybrid, which makes sense when you think about it because he’s a former vampire brought back from the dead as a human thanks to the sacrificing of five other vampires.”

“A hybrid?” again the whole room asked in sync.

“Could you all stop doing that? It’s really freaking me out,” Fred frowned at them all before putting her glasses back on. “All this is supposition and theory on my part. I noticed a few tiny little details that weren’t completely normal and, of course, my mind locked onto those tiny details even though further testing could show them to be nothing and I really shouldn’t have told any of you any of this until I’d done that further testing, but frankly the information I have now was exciting to me at least and – silly me - I just assumed you’d find it interesting as well, but now I know differently and in future I’ll keep my mouth shut in situations like this.”

“I thought Willow was the only one who could do that,” Buffy marveled. “The talking without breathing without passing out thing.”

“Rewind a bit to the ‘could show them to be nothing’ part,” Spike said. “Am I or aren’t I superhuman?”

“All signs right now point to you are, but it could just be residual or misreadings on my part,” Winifred confessed.

“Ok then,” Wesley stepped forward. “We’ll run all the tests again and I’ll examine the results.”

“Oh bullocks,” complained the man who knew what poking and prodding those tests would bring.

“Angel, it may be a good idea to get Lorne back here to tell us everything he saw in Spike’s reading,” the former watcher ignored Spike and said.

“Can we at least go upstairs for a quickie before you get started on all that?” Buffy asked with a bluntness that must have rubbed off on her from having known Anya.

“No,” came Angel, Fred and Wesley’s quick response.

Spike just gave her a leer, wrapped his arms around her waist and informed her so the others would hear, “We don’t need to go upstairs for that. These tables are solid enough if the geeks here will look away for a bit.”

“No,” Winifred said firmly. “You two are not doing anything else on my tables!”

“What do you mean ‘anything else’?” Angel asked slowly.