Author's Chapter Notes:
I wanted to update this a little earlier, but I've been gone all day and didn't have time to look through it at the time. Hope you like it :-)
Chapter 13 – Movie Night


Putting the finishing touches on her make-up the next night, Buffy stared at her reflection, turning from side to side as she made sure she looked alright.

Wanting to feel good about herself, Buffy had decided to dress up, spending the night by herself. Wearing a black shirt with a deep V-neck and a pair of stylish black pants, along with her favorite black shoes, she adjusted the silver Y-shaped necklace that adorned her neck. Adding the finishing touch with large, silver hoop earrings, she fluffed her hair, deciding that she wouldn’t straighten it tonight- the natural curl gave it a little more body.

Giving the mirror one final glance, she realized she was a little dressier than she was aiming for but quickly shrugged her shoulders, leaving the bathroom and heading downstairs. Glancing at the clock, she quickly kissed her mother goodbye and headed out the door, not wanting to be late for the movie.

“Buffy,” Joyce called after her. “Are you sure you don’t want one of us to go with you?”

“I’ll be fine, Mom,” she replied with a smile. “I need a night to myself.”

“Okay,” her mother said with a worried expression. “If you’re sure.”

“I am,” she said with a slight smile, walking out the door.

Breathing in the fresh air as she made the slow walk toward the movie theater, Buffy let her mind wander. She couldn’t get Spike’s pleading gaze out of her mind, and it filled her with a constant ache.

Wrapping her arms around her body, she bit her lip, remembering his words to her.

”You have no reason to trust me…but I would do anything for you, Buffy. And I’ll be here. No matter what…I’ll be here for you.”

But the question was- did she want him here?

“Yes,” she whispered to herself, fighting the tears in her eyes. “God, yes, that’s all I’ve ever wanted.”

Sitting down on a nearby bench, Buffy fought the tears in her eyes as she took in deep breaths. She wanted to know Spike changed. She wanted to know it and believe it…but she couldn’t.

Glancing at her watch, Buffy dried her eyes of the few tears that had slipped free and prepared herself for the short walk to the theater.

“Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea,” she whispered to herself, approaching the busier part of the town.

Seeing the movie theater in the distance, she took a deep breath. This was supposed to be something that she was able to do for herself. Something to prove that she could be alone and not have to worry about having a man by her side at all times, and she could still be happy. But she couldn’t be happy. She missed him too much.

“You can do this,” she murmured. “You can rely on yourself, for a change.”

Nervously tucking a lock of hair behind her ear, Buffy stepped up to the box office and quickly bought a ticket for the only comedy that was showing at the small theater. She needed the laughs tonight.

Giving the usher a small smile as he opened the door for her, Buffy walked into the lobby, looking around with a heavy sigh.

‘Maybe you should have asked Dawnie to come along…you’ve made an appearance- you know that you came here and bought the ticket…that’s enough.’

Turning to leave, Buffy gasped when she saw Spike walking through the door, dressed in a pair of khaki pants, a blue button-down shirt, and a brown leather coat. Quickly catching herself before her mouth dropped open, Buffy’s expression hardened when he looked up to meet her gaze.

Shoving his hands in his pockets, Spike nervously bit his lower lip, looking down at the ground as he approached her.

“Hello, Buffy,” he said softly, looking up at her with a shy expression that she used to find so endearing…and it still melted her heart. The hope in his eyes wasn’t lost on her, and she quickly looked away.

Opening her mouth to respond, Buffy nearly jumped when she heard the shrill voice that grated on her ears.

“Spike? Oh my God, Spikey? You’re home!”

Rolling her eyes when Harmony Kendall practically threw herself at Spike, Buffy crossed her arms over her chest, suddenly feeling self-conscious. She knew that Harmony always had a thing for Spike, but now that old, familiar, nagging doubt was making itself known- what if it had turned into something more? What if he had been cheating on her long before she actually found out about it?

Hating the familiarity that she associated with her stomach flipping, Buffy turned away from the sight of the little leech attaching herself to Spike, quickly walking toward the hallway where her movie was playing. She wasn’t sure whether she would actually go to the movie or bypass it for the emergency exit, which was looking more appealing.

“It’s amazing that I don’t have a freaking ulcer,” she muttered to herself, barely looking at the door to the theater as she continued toward the end of the hall and the exit to her freedom.

“Buffy!”

“God, why tonight?” she asked, looking up at the ceiling. Continuing her walk toward the door, she gritted her teeth when he spun her around, still holding onto her arm when she stopped to face him. “What?” she asked in irritation.

“That was nothing,” he said, gesturing toward the lobby.

“Yeah, I can see that,” Buffy replied in a harsh tone, jerking her arm out of his grasp. “The blonde who was throwing herself at you made it really look like nothing. It proves just how much you’ve changed,” she continued sarcastically. “What is this, Spike? A date night?”

“No,” he said quickly, shaking his head.

“Then…what?” she asked, stepping back to look at him. “The different clothes, the sudden appearance at a movie theater with Harmony, of all people? Has this been how it was all along? When we were dating, did you drop me off at home and then go searching for-”

“No,” he interrupted, his voice carrying through the building. “I’m not here with Harmony, and I never…not here,” he whispered in a choked voice, looking down at the ground. “I’m only here because I knew you would be here.”

“You knew I’d…Dawn,” Buffy said in understanding, sparks practically flashing in her eyes when she realized her sister must have called him.

“She said you’ve been unhappy,” he whispered, taking a hesitant step toward her. “Was hoping that I might be able to remedy that.”

“I doubt it,” Buffy muttered, turning away, only to stop when she heard his voice.

“So where’s Captain Boring tonight? If you’re so unhappy, wouldn’t you want to be with your boyfriend?”

Unable to respond, Buffy merely looked down at the ground, not wanting to lie to him anymore. Lying was how everything started unraveling. Where do you go when everything has already been unraveled?

“Alright…I won’t ask you anything about him,” he said softly, taking a deep breath as if he was gathering his courage. “Look…can we just put all of this away for the night?”

“What do you mean?” she asked, looking up at him in bewilderment.

Gesturing toward the door to the auditorium, Spike gave her a gentle smile. “We’re both here…”

“Spike, I don’t know-”

“Buffy, I’ll behave myself, I promise. I just want to spend some time with you.”

Taking a deep breath, she slowly looked up in his eyes, seeing the genuine emotion in his eyes. “Okay,” she murmured, slowly nodding. Maybe spending some time with him without any pressure was exactly what she needed. “As long as you behave yourself,” she repeated with a slight smile.

Smiling in relief, Spike hesitantly extended his arm toward her. “It’s a date,” he said with a smile.

“Spike,” she said in a warning tone, taking a slight step away from him.

“Deal,” he corrected himself. “Deal, I meant deal.”

Studying him for a moment as they walked into the theater, Spike looked at her with a confused expression. “What?”

“Nothing,” she said, shaking her head. “It’s just…you look so…grown-up.”

“Well, that works out nicely then.”

“Why’s that?” she asked with a smile, allowing herself to relax.

“Because,” he began, gently resting his hand on the small of her back and leading her through the empty theater. “It just so happens that I’ve realized that I needed to grow up.”

Laughing softly, Buffy sat down in one of the chairs, briefly closing her eyes when Spike sat down next to her, his shoulder brushing against hers.

Making sure to avoid too much physical contact, Spike watched as a few more people entered the theater, each couple separating themselves from any other couples who happened to be in the auditorium, each wanting their own privacy.

Looking over at Buffy when the trailers began, Spike studied her for a moment, nearly mesmerized with how beautiful she was. Watching as the light played over her features, he smiled when she turned to look at him, tilting her head in a question.

Hesitantly reaching out, letting his fingertips gently play with the ends of her hair, he offered her a sad smile when she briefly closed her eyes, enjoying the familiarity that came with the movement.

Leaning forward until their foreheads were nearly touching, he inhaled the subtle aroma of lavender that wafted toward him.

“I’ve missed you,” he murmured, his eyes wet with tears as she looked at him with a pained expression. “I never lied about that…I missed you so much.”

Feeling her chin tremble, Buffy bit her lip as she looked downward, breaking their eye contact. “Don’t do this,” she whispered, shaking her head. “It’s too hard.”

“I know,” he said softly. “I just needed you to know that. I miss you, Buffy.”

Raising her eyes to his, she took a deep breath, closing her eyes when his lips brushed against her forehead. “I miss you, too…but I miss the man I fell in love with.”

“It’s me,” he said, brushing his hand over her cheek before gently cupping it in his hand. “I can be who you need me to be.”

“I want to believe you,” she whispered. “Please don’t hurt me anymore.”

“I won’t,” he promised. “Never again.”



Thanks so much to: Karyn, caatje, Aseret, Caitie, Cordykitten, sue, & gypsy_jin for reviewing!!