Author's Chapter Notes:
Because the majority of the rest of the story doesn't change (except for my writing style), I'm going to try and update the rest of the chapters very soon. This is a busy weekend for me, but I'll do my best ;-)
Chapter 18 – Waiting…


By New Year’s Eve, there were numerous changes in the Summers’ household. The main cause being Dawn, who had been dating Angel’s little brother Connor since the night of the O’Shea’s Christmas party. Buffy had attempted to settle into a hesitant relationship with Spike, provided that they each take their time and not rush anything. It was an agreeable arrangement for both, especially when they decided not to see other people. Spike had convinced Buffy that he wouldn’t be seeing anyone, even if that wasn’t the arrangement, further settling her fears. They’d made it a point to see each other over the last few days, enjoying the simple act of being together with no romantic pressure. Spike had even invited Dawn and Connor to his apartment to ring in the New Year, although Buffy thought it was just to keep an eye on his surrogate little sister.

Now as Buffy was hurriedly pulling on a pair of black pants and a white shirt that had a wrap-around style, forming itself nicely to her curves, she noticed Dawn nervously fidgeting around the door. Scanning the room for her shoes, Buffy dropped to her knees, flipping up the comforter of her bed as she looked beneath it.

“Out with it, Dawnie,” she finally said, stretching as far as she could before triumphantly pulling her hand back with both shoes in her grasp.

“Can’t you go any faster?” her sister asked, tapping her foot as she crossed her arms over her chest.

“I probably could if I didn’t have my bratty kid sister trying to tell me to hurry up,” Buffy replied with a raised eyebrow as she slipped on her shoes and walked toward the door.

“Finally,” Dawn muttered, practically stepping on Buffy’s heels as they walked down the stairs. “Let’s go.”

“Is it okay if we say goodbye to our mother first?” Buffy asked sarcastically, rolling her eyes at her sister’s impatience, suppressing the giggle when Dawn’s face began to redden as she tightened her jaw.

* * * * *

Arriving at Spike’s new place ten minutes later, Dawn raced to the door, not wanting to lose anymore time with Connor. Gunn answered the door, smiling at Dawn before practically jumping out of her way when she nearly ran him over.

“Aah, young love,” Buffy said with a sardonic smile, shaking her head as she hugged Gunn.

“Remember when it was still that new and fresh?” he replied, smiling as he watched Dawn make a beeline for Connor, greeting him with a kiss on the cheek.

Giggling while she watched her sister, Buffy scanned the apartment, hoping to see Spike. She was overwhelmed with how much the interior wasn’t like the man she knew. It seemed to be decorated in things that Buffy would have picked out, not Spike.

“Hey, Buffy!” Willow squealed, running over to her friend. “Isn’t this place amazing? It’s just so…classy. So grown up. Oh, Spike had to run out and pick up Oz. His van broke down, but he said to show you around.”

“Breathe, Wills,” Buffy said with a grin, following her friend as they began walking from room to room, starting with the spacious living room in the front of the apartment. Smiling and greeting her friends who had arranged themselves on the overstuffed couches and chairs with their refreshments, Buffy surveyed the huge front room. The open area was accentuated by hardwood floors and expensive rugs. It was all incredibly simple and clean. Seeing where the band's instruments were currently residing in the corner brought a smile to her face.

Walking toward one of the back corners of the apartment, her eyes widened as she took in the open kitchen with stainless steel appliances, a bar, and a huge island in the center. On the opposite wall, located behind the living room, was a set of French doors, which Buffy realized led to a roomy office, complete with a mahogany desk and bookshelf. Her brow continued to furrow as she looked around the apartment. If she didn’t know better, she would have thought that this place belonged to her…or at the very least, was decorated by her.

Following the hallway from the kitchen, she glanced into the two bedrooms and bathroom on her way to the master bedroom at the end of the hall. Wandering into the carpeted room, she finally let a smile play on her lips as she took in the interior. This room was more Spike. While the rest of the house was done in light, airy colors and tones with darker wooden accents and hardwood floors, this room had a hardness to it that still left Buffy remaining comfortable in her surroundings. The dark cherry wood of the furniture complimented the rich burgundy and black tones of the rest of the room. The burgundy carpeting ran the length of the room, creating a darker look that was obviously brightened during the day when the sun poured in from the French doors that lead to the balcony. Walking into the attached bathroom, her eyes widened when she saw the size of it. It was practically as big as her bedroom at home.

“Where did he find this place?” she asked in awe, staring longingly at the whirlpool tub.

“I don’t know,” Willow said. “I think he knows somebody in real estate.”

The girls both jumped slightly as the heavy front door was slammed, and Willow went running out of the room to greet her boyfriend. Buffy lingered a moment longer, walking out onto the balcony to take in the view of the twinkling Christmas lights that still covered most of Sunnydale’s homes.

Feeling her breath catch in her throat when a pair of strong arms encircled her waist, Buffy slowly relaxed against his chest.

“Do you like it, Princess?” Spike murmured before gently nibbling the edge of her ear.

Smiling at the sensations he was causing, she nodded her agreement. “It’s beautiful.”

“Thought you might like it,” he said between trailing a series of soft kisses down the line of her neck.

“Mmmm, you better quit that, or we’re going to do something bad, with our friends in the next room.”

“What’s the harm in that, pet?” he whispered sensuously.

Shivering at the suggestive tone in his voice, Buffy slowly turned in his arms. “Because we’re not ready,” she murmured, taking one of his hands in hers and squeezing it gently.

Seeing the disappointment briefly flash on his face before he nodded his understanding, Buffy gave him a soft smile in thanks before pressing her lips to his in a tender kiss, pulling away before either could deepen it.

“And I really don’t feel the need to have my little sister walking in on us at an inopportune time,” she teased, pulling away from his embrace with a smile.

“Well, when you put it that way, how can I argue?” Spike replied with a heavy sigh before smiling to show her he wasn’t pressuring her.

“We better be heading back out there.”

“Actually, before we go, there’s something I need to tell you.”

Looking up at him with a questioning expression, Buffy waited for him to continue.

“I have to leave in two weeks. We have a bunch of meetings in New York, and the guys and I have to be there.”

Trying to mask her disappointment with a smile, Buffy nodded her understanding, trying to walk past Spike.

Seeing right through the weak façade, Spike gently grabbed her arm before she could pass him, pulling her back into his embrace to reassure her.

“It’s only for a week, baby, and then I’m here for a long time.”

“I know,” she said. “I just…I don’t know…”

Trailing off with a shake of her head, she sighed when she couldn’t express what she wanted to say.

“Buffy,” he whispered, tilting her head up to look her in the eyes. “Do you trust me?”

Swallowing hard as she stared at him, she let the pain slowly settle on her features. “I want to,” she whispered in a strained voice. “I guess it’s up to you.”

“What do you mean, love?” he murmured, brushing the hair away from her face as he tenderly cupped her cheek in his hand, letting his thumb trace over her features to relax her.

“Can I trust you?” she asked softly.

“You can,” he said with a nod of affirmation. “I promise, you have nothing to worry about.”

“I’m putting a lot of faith in you,” she whispered.

“Yes, you are…and I won’t let you down,” he replied, wrapping his arms around her waist.

“I’ll miss you,” she said, her voice muffled against his chest as he held onto her.

“I’ll miss you, too, but I’ll be back before you know it.”

Each jumped as the sound of the voice coming from the hallway startled them. “I don’t know what you two are doing in there, but you’re going to miss the new year if you don’t get your asses out here and start partying with us!”

“Give it a rest, Peaches. We’ll be out when we’re bloody well ready to come out!” Spike yelled back with a grin.

“Okay, but no funny business. We have minors present tonight!” Angel called back with a smile in his voice.

Spike laughed and shook his head as he looked back at the woman in his arms. “Happy New Year, Buffy.”

“Happy New Year,” Buffy said, giggling. “Do I get my New Year’s kiss?” she asked with that pout that Spike could never resist.

“Bloody right,” he said, angling his lips to connect with hers. Moving his lips over hers for a long minute, each relished the taste of the person they loved. Breaking away as the passion of the kiss began to escalate, they breathed heavily, looking at each other through lust-filled eyes.

“Guess we better get out of here before something really does happen,” she said in a husky whisper.

“I think I’d rather stay in here,” Spike said with a grin, wrapping an arm around her waist and leading her toward the door, knowing that they should join their friends and ring in the New Year. “But you’re probably right. This can wait…for however long you need to wait.”





Thanks so much to: Franchesca, Cordykitten, blondiebear, Caitie, B, BuffyandSpikeForever, Sevvy_O, txjmfan & willowmouse for reviewing!