Author's Chapter Notes:
A few people are wondering, so: the reason that I’m not posting this story in its entirety (or any story in its entirety) is because I rewrite/add to every chapter before I post it. There have been many times in the past when I’ve realized that I’ve forgotten something, and gotten a review reminding me. As far as this story, I’ve gotten so many e-mails from people who enjoyed it, but didn’t feel that Spike had sufficiently paid for what he did. I wanted to do what I could to fix the problems and make it the story that it should have been in the first place. And even though I used to ask for reviews, I don’t anymore. They are very appreciated, but they aren’t the reason I write- I write because I love it and if people like my stories, then that’s enough to get me to post. For future reference, I feel that Once in a Lifetime Love and Secrets of the Heart warrant rewrites and plot extensions as well, so I’ll be reposting those in several months (possibly closer to the holidays). I’m not the only author who waits until a story is completed before posting the first chapter (there are a lot out there) and they all have different reasons- these are mine. Agree or disagree, that's fine, this is just the way I write.
Chapter 1 – Maybe Never…


Present Day


“You’re going out tonight?”

Glancing over at the doorway, Buffy smiled at her sister.

“Just going out with the gang, Dawnie,” she said, turning back to her wardrobe, trying to figure out what to wear.

“Can I come in?” the younger girl asked softly.

“Don’t break anything,” Buffy replied, a slight warning in her voice as she held up a black skirt edged in lace.

Tossing the skirt on the bed as Dawn sat down, she continued rummaging through the back of the closet.

Picking up the skirt, Dawn trailed her hand over the smooth material. “So…um…what happens tomorrow?” she asked quietly.

“Tomorrow?” Buffy repeated, feigning innocence.

“Yeah,” she replied quietly. “Spike coming home and everything.”

“Doesn’t mean anything,” Buffy muttered, nervously tucking a lock of hair behind her ear. “I doubt I’ll even see him. He’ll probably go to Los Angeles right after Christmas.”

“Do you want to see him?” Dawn asked in a hopeful tone of voice.

“I don’t know,” she said softly, feeling the familiar tears sting her eyes. “I-I don’t think so.”

“But…you want to see Giles…right? I mean, he’s practically like our dad…if ours bothered to stick around.”

“I’ll still see Giles, Dawnie. I just don’t think I’m ready to face Spike. Not yet. Maybe never.”

* * * * *

4 Years Earlier


Walking through the corridors of Sunnydale High, Buffy tried to remain calm on her first day of school. Her first class of the day had resulted in making friends with a pretty redhead named Willow. The other girl was a shy and quiet- completely the opposite of Buffy. She had been assigned to show Buffy around the building, and the two already had made plans to go to the local club the Bronze later that night.

Searching for the library during her last period of the day, Buffy felt as if she was turning in circles, scanning the hallways for the elusive area. Willow had pointed it out to her before lunch, but Buffy was already turned around in the large school. Turning a corner, she finally saw the double doors down the hall to the right and breathed a heavy sigh of relief. Entering the library, she gave the librarian a hesitant smile when he glanced up from the books that were scattered along the counter.

“Can I help you?” the older man asked, setting a book to the side as Buffy approached.

“Uh, yeah, I think I’m supposed to be here. I’m new.”

“Miss Summers?”

“Good call. Guess I’m the only new kid, huh?” she asked with a nervous smile.

“I’m Mr. Giles…the librarian. I was told you were coming. I presume you’re here for study hall?”

“Yeah.”

“Have a seat anywhere. If you need anything, let me know.”

“Okay, thanks,” she said, looking around the empty room before grabbing a seat at the closest table.

After about ten minutes, she heard a commotion near the doors and looked up. Seeing a man walk through, both doors swinging shut behind him, Buffy felt her breath catch in her throat. He was wearing tight black jeans and a black t-shirt stretched over his muscular torso, his bleached hair spiked up, with black nail polish and sunglasses still resting on the bridge of his nose.

Buffy felt short of breath as she looked at the hottest man she had ever seen. She watched as he lowered his head to look at her over the top of the sunglasses before giving her a slow smile and a wink. Buffy blushed nervously and looked back at her book, trying to ignore the tingles that were shooting through her body when she felt his eyes still on her.

“Giles!” She heard him yell after a moment, biting her lip at the sound of the heavy British accent that came from him. Looking up in time to see Giles come rushing out of his office, Buffy risked a glance at the blonde, admiring his profile for a moment before trying to return her focus to her book.

“William!” he shushed. “Must you yell? We have a student in here,” he continued, gesturing to Buffy. William took off the glasses to look at her once again, studying her more closely now that his vision was unobstructed.

“So I see,” he said with a smirk that spread into a smile when he noticed Buffy visibly swallow and offer him a slight smile in return. Arching an eyebrow at the young woman, he turned back to face his father. “And how many times have I asked you not to use that poncey name? My name is Spike.”

“I’ll call you ‘Spike’ when you stop calling me by my name.” Giles turned to Buffy, giving her a slight smile of apology. “I’m sorry to interrupt your studying, Miss Summers, but this is my son, Will.” She smiled as the librarian took off his glasses and polished them, obviously flustered from the interruption.

“It’s Spike,” he said, walking over to her, holding out his hand. Buffy reached up to shake it, only to gasp when he pulled it to his lips and planted a gentle kiss on top. She felt a flush rise up to her cheeks at the contact, quickly ducking her head to hide her reaction.

“I’m Buffy,” she murmured, hating the nervous tremor that seemed to coat her voice.

“Pleasure to meet you, Buffy,” he replied with a charming smile before turning his attention back to Giles but not letting go of her hand. “I need the car tonight.”

“Whatever for?”

“Told Dru I’d take her to the Bronze.”

’Of course it would have something to do with that absurd woman he was dating,’ Giles thought with a sigh. He had only met her a handful of times, and each time he became more concerned with her sanity, or lack thereof. “Fine,” he muttered.

Spike smiled and turned back to Buffy, giving her hand another kiss. “It was an honor, Buffy.” She felt herself gulp as he made his way out of the library, trying not to think about the fact that he had mentioned another woman. She wanted to live in her little fantasy world for just a few more moments.




Thanks so much to: Stephanie, Sevvy_O, Juanita, Anne, Mischa, lacey, Mac & Lurker for reviewing!