Chapter 2 – Are You Okay?


Present Day


“You look tired, Buffy,” Willow said, her voice heavy with concern. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” she said, unconvincingly. “I took a nap today and I guess it ended up making me more sleepy.”

“You’re sure that’s all?” Xander asked, glancing around the Bronze before settling his gaze on his friend.

“What else would it be?” Buffy replied with a slight shrug, running her hand along the smooth surface of the table as she avoided the gazes of everyone sitting around her.

“Maybe because the man who broke your heart is breezing back into town in less than twenty-four hours and you haven’t mentioned anything about it,” Anya Jenkins replied, taking a sip of her drink and looking pointedly at the two people who kicked her under the table.

“Anya!” Xander hissed at his girlfriend.

“Is that one of those things that I’m not supposed to mention?” Anya asked, looking around the table.

“It could fall under that category,” he replied with sarcasm lacing his words.

“Guys…I’m fine,” Buffy said, looking around the table. “I’m fine,” she re-emphasized, hoping that they would drop the subject.

“There’s nothing wrong with wanting to talk about it, Buffy,” Willow said softly, leaning close to lay a comforting hand on her friends arm. “It’s only been a few months, but no one said you have to stay strong every single day.”

“And anytime there’s a bashing of Captain Peroxide, count me in,” Xander said, an angry look on his face as he thought of Spike hurting his friend.

“Xander,” Buffy said softly in a warning tone. “There will be no Spike bashing.”

“And especially not in defense of another woman’s honor,” Anya added in an irritated voice.

“Look, I appreciate it,” Buffy continued. “But it’s a part of my life that I just want to walk away from. I don’t want to look back and I don’t want to relive it. Just because Spike is coming back to Sunnydale, doesn’t mean he’s staying or that I’ll even run into him. Now, if you’ll excuse me,” she said, standing up and gesturing to her empty cup. “I’m Frosty Nectar bound.”

Pushing away from the table, she threaded her way through the crowd.

“She’s not okay,” Willow said softly. “How could she be?”

* * * * *

4 Years Earlier


Sitting at a table the next night, Buffy stared through the throngs of people, trying to discreetly catch a glimpse of bleached hair.

After meeting Spike the day before, she had run into him at the Bronze later that night. Making pleasant small talk, Buffy found herself to be even more attracted him, discovering that he was a genuinely nice guy.

Smiling and chatting with Willow and her friend Xander, Buffy was laughing at a joke he had just told her when she spotted him out on the dance floor with his arms around a tall, striking brunette. Trying to smash down a pang of jealousy, she nervously tucked a lock of hair behind her ear.

‘You just met him, Summers,’ she lectured herself. ‘You barely even talked to him and you’re getting jealous because he’s dancing with a woman who’s presumably his girlfriend? Get over it, Buffy.’

Buffy had successfully been able to get some information out of Giles, concerning his son. Once the bleached blonde had left the library the day before, she soon found out that they had moved to town a few years ago and that Spike was a sophomore at UC Sunnydale with a girlfriend. Buffy also got the distinct impression that Giles didn’t care very much for Drusilla Evans, whom Spike had been seeing since they moved.

Feeling comfortable around the older librarian, she soon found herself telling him about her father abandoning his wife and two daughters to run off with his secretary to Spain. She hadn’t heard from him since, and her mother had to move them to Sunnydale for economic purposes. Giles had listened sympathetically and told her if she ever needed to talk in the future, he would be available.

Now Buffy sat there trying to suppress her jealous feelings, watching the attractive couple moving on the dance floor.

“Would you like to dance, Buffy?”

Turning toward Xander, she offered him a grateful smile as she accepted his offer, letting him lead her out to the floor. Keeping an appropriate amount of distance between their bodies, not wanting to give him the wrong impression, she hesitantly put her hands on his shoulders, letting him take the subtle lead as he began swaying her to the music.

Watching with a glare from across the club, Spike tried not to think about the enticing blonde, even though his eyes were practically glued to her. He didn’t know why, but seeing Buffy laughing and dancing with another man made him very uneasy. Completely forgetting about Drusilla as he watched the young girl tilt her head back slightly and let out a laugh that never reached his ears, he gritted his teeth as he continued to study her.

Relieved when the song finally ended, he watched as she climbed the stairs leading to the balcony while the boy she was dancing with asked the redhead at their table to dance. Disentangling himself from Dru’s arms and walking her back to his friends’ table, Spike tried to play the attentive boyfriend role as he pulled out her chair for her. With a nod to Angel O’ Shea, Oz, Charles Gunn, and Gunn’s girlfriend Fred, Spike waited until Drusilla was immersed in their own conversation before leaning closer to her.

“I’ll be back in a minute, ducks,” he whispered before walking away. She barely even acknowledged his existence as she continued talking with Angel.

Climbing the stairs to the second level, Spike noticed it was nearly deserted as he glanced around. Smiling when he saw Buffy leaning against the railing, he couldn’t help but admire her as she looked around the crowded dance floor. He found the attentive look on her face adorable as her eyebrows furrowed and she bit her lip. Walking up behind her, Spike leaned close to her ear. “Watcha lookin’ for, pet?”

With a sharp yelp, Buffy spun around, bracing a hand against her chest as she tried to calm her erratic breathing. Realizing who it was that scared her, she felt her heart begin to race when Spike smiled, leaning forward to put his hands on each side of her body, supporting them on the railing behind her. “Didn’t mean to scare you, love.”

“Oh, that’s okay,” she replied nervously. “I just didn’t know anybody was there.” Briefly closing her eyes at her stupidity, she inwardly chastised herself. ‘Good going, Buff,’ she thought. ‘Sound like a complete idiot, why don’t you? Of course you didn’t know anybody was there or you wouldn’t have screamed like a coward.’

Looking up at him after a moment, she was shocked by his nearness, never realizing that his arms were trapping her between him and the railing that was pressing into her back. She was even more shocked when her body fought to propel her closer to him, eager to close the distance between their bodies in a reaction she’d never had before and didn’t understand.

Taking in his bright blue eyes, sharp cheekbones, and full lips, Buffy felt her own lips part slightly as she looked at him. A smirk overtook his handsome features when he leaned forward, hesitantly pressing his body against hers. Feeling a jolt at the contact, she suddenly remembered where she was and who she was with as she pushed him away.

“Don’t you have a girlfriend?” she asked, her voice coming out in a breathless whisper.

‘Stupid Buffy,’ that little inner voice said. ‘Give up major smoochies with the hottie- you’re not supposed to do that.’

Sighing regretfully, Spike took a step away as he nodded. “Yes…I do. I guess I should be getting back down there.” He had completely forgotten about Drusilla. He seemed to have forgotten about everything whenever he got within close proximity of the young woman.

“Yeah,” Buffy muttered, trying to mask her disappointment as she nodded in agreement. She knew the frustration was evident on her face when he took a moment to study her, looking deep into her eyes as if he was trying to find something. Whether he found it or not, Buffy didn’t know, merely watching as he turned and made his way back down the stairs. Waiting a few more minutes before heading off to find her friends, Buffy slowly descended the stairs, spotting them at the bar.

“Hey, guys,” she said, forcing a smile, trying to keep her nerves at bay. “I think I’m going to head home.”

“Already, Buff? It’s still early,” Xander said, a slight whine evident in his voice.

“Yeah, I know, but Mom starts work tomorrow and she wants to finish unpacking. Bada bing, that’s where I come in.”

“Do you want us to walk with you?” Willow asked, giving her new friend a soft smile.

“No, that’s okay,” Buffy replied, shaking her head. “You guys stay here and have some fun. I’ll see you at school tomorrow.”

Saying her good-byes, she quickly headed out the door of the club.

Walking through the back alleys to get home faster, Buffy felt a tremor of fear pass through her when she heard footsteps behind her. Stamping down the shiver, she sighed heavily, stopping after a moment and hearing the echo of the footsteps stop as well. Rolling her eyes, she didn’t bother turning around. “It’s late, I’m tired, and I don’t wanna play games. Show yourself.”

Turning around, Buffy raised an eyebrow when a man stepped out of the shadows. She felt her body tense, taking in the size of him, but relaxed a little bit when he offered her a soft smile.

“It’s okay,” he said, stopping a safe distance away from her. "My name’s Angel. I’m a friend of Spike’s.”

“So…what are you doing following me?” she asked, looking at him skeptically, not sure what to think about a man who followed her into a dark alley.

“He saw you leave and asked me to make sure you got home okay. He had to stick around with Drusilla, but apparently, you’ve made quite the impression on him. And since this isn’t the safest town to walk around in by yourself, here I am.”

“My knight in shining armor?” she asked with a bored expression.

“Not exactly- they actually have to save the damsel in distress.”

“Not much with the damseling,” Buffy replied. “And I can take care of myself.”

“I have no doubt…but if it’s all the same to you, I’d still like to walk you.”

Debating it for a moment, she finally sighed. “You try anything…”

“I promise to be a perfect gentleman,” he said with an easy smile. “You have my permission to stake me if I do anything deemed inappropriate.”

“Darn,” she said with a smile, snapping her fingers to mock herself. “And I left my good stake in the shop. What a shame.”

“Well, I guess I can breathe a little easier,” he said with a laugh as they began walking through the alley.

Making comfortable small talk as they walked through the streets of Sunnydale, Buffy found herself relaxing more in his presence. He didn’t make the butterflies swirl around her stomach the way Spike did, but she continuously reminded herself that Spike had a girlfriend who he seemed busy with that night. Buffy refused to be that girl.

“So, Miss Summers,” Angel said in a teasing tone when they turned onto Revello Drive. “What have you done to get my old pal Spike so wound up?”

“Nothing,” she replied with an innocent look in her eyes, obviously having no idea what she had done to his friend. “I-I just met him today. I’ve barely even talked to him.”

Angel raised an eyebrow in disbelief. “Well, this is a new development. I’ve never seen him act so protective over someone he just met. Friends, family- sure, but someone who he doesn’t even know…”

Buffy blushed, looking at the ground in embarrassment. “I promise, I haven’t done anything.”

“I’m not calling you a liar, Buffy,” Angel said quickly. “It’s just very out of character for Spike. At least at this stage in a…friendly situation.”

“You’ve known him a long time?”

“Nah, not really. Met him when he moved here with his dad last year. Found out he was a pretty good singer, so we decided to form our own band a few months later. He’s like the kid brother I never had. Annoying me, stealing my stuff, but ultimately, he’s one of the best friends I’ve got.”

“That’s nice that you two are so close,” Buffy said with a wistful smile. “So, you’re in a band?”

“Yeah, Dingoes Ate My Baby. Our friend Oz got the idea one day, and the rest of us just ran with it.”

“So it’s just the three of you, then?”

“Us and Charles Gunn. I’ve known him my whole life.”

“That’s nice. It’s good that you all have something to do together.”

“Yeah, it’s nice to just get together and have fun. Maybe someday we’ll make it big. Right now, we’re just playing at the Bronze and some clubs in L.A. whenever we get breaks from school.”

“You actually go to Los Angeles?” Buffy asked with a smile, letting it brighten when Angel nodded. “That’s big time.”

“Not really,” he replied with a slight shrug. “There’s a lot of clubs in that city.”

“I’d love to hear you guys.”

“That could be arranged,” Angel said with a smile.

* * * * *

Finally hearing the click of his friend picking up the phone later that night, Spike was barely able to restrain his temper when he heard Angel’s voice on the other end of the phone.

“Bloody hell, Angelus, where the hell have you been?” he growled.

“You asked me to walk Buffy home, so I walked her home.”

“That was two hours ago, Liam.”

“So, we talked for a while,” Angel replied, becoming slightly irritated with his friend. “And don’t call me Liam.”

Spike felt another pang of jealousy shoot through him at the idea that the girl who was becoming the object of every one of his thoughts and fantasies had spent the night talking and laughing with his best friend.

“So, what’d you talk about, mate?” Spike asked, trying to keep his tone neutral.

“Oh, you know, the ‘getting to know you’ stuff. Told her about the band, and she said she’d like to hear us sometime. Told her she could stop by for our next rehearsal.”

Slowly letting a smile overtake his features at the thought, Spike took a deep breath. “Sounds good to me.”




Thanks so much to: Juanita, Aseret, Caatje, lacey, Caitie, Sevvy_O, BuffyandSpikeForever, Cordykitten, & kim for reviewing!