Author's Chapter Notes:
So sorry about the lack in updates- a bunch of real life problems, I haven't even been on this site this week, but I'm slowly getting back in the swing of things :-)
Chapter 3 – A Sense of Normalcy


Present Day


“At least she appears to be having fun,” Anya said, tilting her head as they watched Buffy laugh as Xander twirled her around the dance floor. “I let them do that. It’s good for karma.”

Rolling her eyes, Willow sighed. “It’s not now that we have to worry about her…it’s when she’s all alone.”

“You believe she would hurt herself?”

“No,” Willow replied, shaking her head. “But what happens when the guys get home and the group settles into the normal routine?” Willow asked.

“What do you mean?” Anya asked, looking at the other woman with a curious expression.

“Hanging out at the Bronze, going out every weekend, the band rehearsals?”

Looking out at the dance floor, Anya’s brow furrowed as she considered the redhead. “I don’t know.”

* * * * *

4 Years Earlier


Feeling short of breath, Buffy’s eyes widened as she took in the sprawling grounds and three-story house in front of her. The beautiful red-brick home was amazing and more than a little intimidating.

When Angel had invited her to a band rehearsal in his garage, she assumed it would be low-key and simple. She never expected a mansion.

Nervously walking into the garage, Buffy looked around with a hesitant expression, unsure of what she should do or if she should even be there. ‘Maybe this was a mistake,’ she thought, looking around the ‘garage’, which could have been a guesthouse with the remodeling it had obviously endured. Cream-colored carpeting and dark blue walls provided a warm atmosphere, complete with a makeshift stage that took up an entire wall at the end of the room.

Her fears were soon dissuaded when she saw the four guys sitting on some beige-colored leather couches. They each offered her a smile, which was more than the tall brunette was doing. Buffy merely arched an eyebrow at the icy stare she was on the receiving end of.

“Buffy,” Angel said with a bright smile, standing up and quickly making his way over to the small blonde. “You made it. I was worried you wouldn’t be able to find the house.”

“That definitely wasn’t a problem,” she replied, trying to force a smile on her lips as her eyes flitted over to Spike, seeing the bleach blonde staring back at her with an unwavering gaze before turning his attention to his girlfriend. A brief frown marred Buffy’s features before she turned her attention back to Angel and put a bright smile on her face. “Have you guys already started?” she asked hesitantly.

“Yes, they’re playing right now,” Drusilla said with a raised eyebrow, drawing Buffy’s attention over to her.

“Dru!” Spike said sharply, turning to glare at his girlfriend for her rudeness.

Narrowing her eyes on the tall brunette, Buffy let a cold smile cross her lips. “I was asking if I had missed the rehearsal, but I can see how you might not be bright enough to pick up on that.”

Taking a step toward the blonde, Drusilla’s eyes were shooting sparks.

Spike stared at Buffy with an amused expression before intercepting his girlfriend. “Let it go,” he said softly, looking into her eyes. Seeing her resistance, he slowly arched an eyebrow. “You were the one who started it. Just let it go.”

“Fine,” Drusilla huffed, turning around and walking back to the couches, sitting down with a solemn expression.

Giving Buffy an appreciative glance for standing up to his strong-willed girlfriend, Spike’s eyes briefly darkened when he watched Angel take Buffy’s hand and began leading her around the garage, showing her all of the equipment that the band used and pointing out the small kitchen, in case she wanted anything.

‘You have a girlfriend,’ Spike told himself, closing his eyes and tightening his jaw as he desperately tried to remember the woman sitting behind her. ‘She’s the love of your life…or so she tells you.’

Then why was there an intense jealousy whenever he watched his friend get within touching distance of the small blonde?

* * * * *

Walking out of the garage as the rehearsals ended, Buffy was surprised to hear the door slam shut behind her. Turning around, her eyes widened when she saw Spike standing behind her.

“Leaving so soon, pet?” he asked, tilting his head to look at her as he reached into his pocket for his cigarettes.

“I wouldn’t really call it ‘soon’,” she replied, biting her lip, wondering how the simple act of lighting a cigarette could become impossibly sexy. “Your girlfriend seemed to hightail it out of here pretty quick,” she added, trying to avoid the way he snapped his lighter shut and put it in his pocket. ‘Don’t drool, Buffy.’

“I’m sorry about Dru,” he said softly, exhaling the smoke through his nose as he looked down. “She’s a little high-strung sometimes.”

“I can take care of myself,” Buffy said with a shrug, offering him a slight smile. “And it wasn’t your fault. It’s not like you said anything. Well…I better be getting home. My mom is probably wondering where I am.”

“Wait here for a minute and I’ll drive you.”

“No, that’s really okay,” she started to protest, shaking her head.

“Not taking no for an answer, Goldilocks,” he replied. “Starting to get dark out here. No telling what kind of nasties you could run into.”

“And I’m supposed to believe that you’re not one of them?” she asked with a smile, crossing her arms over her chest in a silent challenge.

“I’m one of the safer big bads walking around,” he said with a grin. “Even have the tendency to save the damsel in distress every now and then.”

“I already told Angel- I’m not much for the damseling.”

“It’s just a ride home, Buffy,” his expression darkening slightly when his friend was mentioned.

“It’s really okay,” she said softly, shaking her head after a moment. “Angel offered to drive me, but I told him I’d walk.”

“Buffy,” Spike said in a low voice that offered no room for argument. “I’m not letting you walk home alone.”

Waiting until she nodded, he disappeared into his friend’s garage, gathering his things before practically running out the door with a brief wave good-bye to his friends.

“In a hurry?” Buffy’s voice drifted from behind him, causing him to spin around and smile when he saw her leaning against the brick wall.

“Just making sure you hadn’t run off, is all,” he replied, covering for himself as he tilted his head toward his car. “Shall we?”

“We shall,” she said with a bright smile, following him to the car. “Thanks,” she murmured, slightly flustered when he opened the car door for her, allowing her to enter the vehicle before slowly closing it behind her.

Biting her lip as she watched Spike walk around the car, Buffy briefly closed her eyes. ‘What are you doing? He’s got a girlfriend, and you’re willingly sitting in his car as if it’s the most natural thing in the world…but his girlfriend is a bona fide bitch. And it’s not like he asked you to sleep with him. He’s just being a nice guy and offering you a ride home. He wants a girl to stay safe- that’s all.’

Successfully talked into her explanation, Buffy sighed as she leaned more comfortably against the seat.

“Where to?” Spike asked, starting the ignition.

“Revello Drive,” she replied softly, trying to resist the urge to look over and admire his profile as they drove through the streets of Sunnydale.

“So,” he said after a long moment of silence. “You and Angel?”

“What?” she asked, turning to look at him before realizing what he was asking. “Oh…um…I don’t know,” she said with a nervous smile. “He’s nice, I just…I don’t know if I’m looking for anything right now. I mean, I just moved here and…who’s to say that he even likes me?”

“He’d be a fool not to,” Spike muttered.

“What?” she asked, turning toward him with a surprised expression on her face.

“Oh…uh…nothing. Just talking to myself, I guess.”

“Oh,” Buffy said softly, knowing exactly what he had said and trying to suppress the smile that was wanting to make itself known. “So…how long have you and Drusilla been together?” she asked, trying not to choke as she said the name of the rigid woman.

“Since around the time I moved here, I s’pose.”

“Are you happy?” she asked softly, looking over to see his reaction. Noticing the tick in his jaw and the way he was clearly avoiding the question, Buffy bit her lip as she turned to look out the window. “Sorry,” she whispered. “Didn’t mean to get so personal.”

“You didn’t, that’s just…it’s a hard question.”

“It shouldn’t be,” she murmured. “You’re either happy or you’re not. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.”

“Yeah, well, you’re young,” he said softly, taking a deep breath when he realized that he said the wrong thing. “I didn’t mean that in a bad way, Buffy. But things are a little different when you get out of high school and step away from all of the bloody problems that go with it.”

“I guess you’re right,” she mumbled uncomfortably, pointing out her house as Spike turned onto Revello, practically lunging for the door handle when the car rolled to a stop. “Thanks for the ride.”

“Buffy.”

“Yeah?” she asked, turning toward him with a skeptical expression.

“I could be happy…with the right person.”

Feeling warmth spread through her stomach and the redness staining her cheeks as she continued to hold his strong gaze, Buffy took a deep breath as she stepped away from the car, reluctantly closing the door behind her.

Watching as Spike drove away, she sighed heavily, waiting until the taillights disappeared. “Me, too.”