Deep Inside



By Heather Martin



*You can lie to others. You can lie to yourself. But you can’t lie to your dreams .*



 


Spoilers- Grave



Disclaimer- Joss owns all the characters from Buffy TVS. The soul mate principle idea was taken from L.J. Smith’s book series called Night World.



Distribution- Sure, just ask



Summary- Anyone know what dissociative fugue amnesia is? Well, Spike develops such a case after his sudden shiny soul, along with the unexpected return of humanity. He just can’t cope, so he pretends to be somebody he‘s not. As for Buffy, she lies to herself that Spike’s absence hasn’t effected her. But at night, she cannot keep him out of her dreams. What will happen to these two lost souls? Will they ever find their way? And will it be together?



This occurs after Grave. The time between episodes are unclear. Pretend that everything after ‘As You Were ‘only spanned a couple weeks. If you think about it, that makes sense. Seeing Red, Villians, 2 to Go, and Grave all happened in a couple days.



Chapter 14



Knocking on the door interrupted Buffy and Spike from their make-out session. Things hadn’t progressed that far along. Both still had their clothes on.



“Buffy, are you all right?” Giles asked from the hall.



Spike sat up. “Is that the watcher?”


A groan came from Buffy. She was annoyed at the absence of his touch. “Yeah.”



Spike glanced around the room, taking it in. “Bloody hell, this is his house!”



“Yeah.”



He gestured to the bed. “And we were gonna . . .”



A naughty grin appeared on Buffy’s lips. “Yeah.”



He raised an eyebrow. “God, Summers, and you say I am the evil one.”



The knocking grew more intense. “Buffy, can I come in?” Giles called.



Buffy straightened her shirt. “Go ahead, Giles.”



The older man opened the door. “Is . . .?” He froze when he saw Spike. His eyes bugged out with astonishment. “Dear lord, Spike?”



“Hullo, Rupert.” Spike put up a hand in greeting.



Giles removed his glasses. “You’re alive,” he stated.



“Uh huh, and we can say that literally now,” Buffy spoke up.



“I take it your memory has returned,” Giles said to Spike. He noticed the way the blond kept eyeing Buffy. He frowned at how it clearly read, ‘I love you, so let’s get it on.’



Spike blinked, and turned his attention away from Buffy. “Right. My brain’s intact. Member everythin. From Dru to Africa.”



“Excuse me, did you say Africa?”



A bright smile lit the slayer’s face. “Spike went to Africa to earn a soul. He couldn’t deal with it, though, and sorta blocked it all out.”



Gile’s head was spinning. “This is all very interesting, but I am still trying to process how Spike is breathing.”



“From the illness or before, mate?” Spike asked.



“Both, actually.”



“Well, ya see, this demon in Africa was supposed to give me a shiny new soul. He somehow got the bloody idea to add-on a beating heart and lungs. And how I’m not a corpse again . . . well, the higher beings took pity on me and returned my demon.”



Buffy raised her hand. “Which healed him. Oh, and he’s got the cool benefits of a vamp along with it,” she burst out.



Giles stood there for a moment. Then he turned. “I need a drink.” He went out, closing the door.



The slayer glanced over at her mate. “Think he’ll be okay?”



“Right as rain, luv. A brandy can work wonders.”



She giggled.



“But it might be awhile.” His expression showed lustful intentions.



She swatted him. “Ewwww, Spike, this is Giles bed!” She rolled off the mattress and to her feet.



Irritated, Spike reciprocated the action. “Hey, a minute ago . . .”



She spun, smashing her mouth with his. It was far too quick, leaving him wanting. “Later, on ‘my’ bed,” she promised, turning away. She went out of the room.



“Come on! Sunndale’s on the other side of the bleedin planet!” he called.



* + * + * + *



When they came out, they found Giles in the dining room. He was sitting at the table, scribbling in a leather-bound journal. A bottle of alcohol and a half-full glass were next to him.



“What’s up?” Buffy questioned.



Giles looked up, startled. He apparently hadn’t heard the two walk in. “I’m recording Spike’s remarkable humanity and recovery. And uh . . . the other circumstance.”



“It’s okay, Giles, you can say baby. He knows.”



The watcher nodded. “That makes things easier. Before you return home we should try to uncover this last puzzle. A vampire procreating is remarkable enough, but a slayer is even. . .”



“Yes, Giles, I remember us having this conversation before. This is some kind of miracle.”



Spike moved to lounge in a chair. “No need to find all the pieces of the puzzle, I already got them.”



Giles peered at him with curiosity. “What are you talking about?”



“This higher being explained what’s goin on to me. Simple really. Always knew me and the slayer were connected.”



Rolling her eyes, Buffy said, “Out with it, Spike, what is going on here?”



“We’re soulmates. Ya know, that rare occurrence where one soul completes another,” Spike went on.



“You didn’t have a soul when we . . . ya know,” Buffy pointed out.



“Yeah, I did, luv. See, the higher being told me that all vamps have them, but the demon hides it away.”



Giles took a long gulp of his drink. “Oh, dear,” the man said. “This would change the whole vampire philosophy.”



“Right on, Rupes,” Spike put in.



Buffy shook her head. “I still don’t get it. What does that have to do with me getting pregnant?”



Spike shrugged. “It baffled the higher beings as well. Guess our mingling of souls set off a trigger.”



Giles directed his gaze on Buffy. “Truth is, Buffy, I don’t think anyone knows all the answers. It would be wise to be cautious. This child could be important in our world’s future.”



“Yeah, yeah. Important, gotcha. Moses and all.”



“You haven’t been to the doctor’s yet have you?” Giles asked in a parental tone.



She sighed. “Uh. . . No,” she replied, guiltily.



Spike raised his eyes. “You haven’t gone to the doc’s? This is my kid too, ya know?”



She gestured to him. “Well, I was too busy worrying about you! If you wouldn’t have run off I wouldn’t have had to come find you!”



“If you recall, luv, I was getting my soul ‘for you‘. ”



“Which you didn’t need. You already had one.”



“Yeah, well, I didn’t know that at the time, now did I?”



She crossed her arms. They both stared at each other, challengingly.



Finally, Buffy relaxed. “I’ll go as soon as we get home.”



“Better, or I’ll drag ya there my self.”



She couldn’t help but smile. He was so cute when he showed how much he cared. She had to admit that he would make a good father. Well, besides the whole music and tv choices he would push. Oh, he better not smoke anymore.



“Wha!?” Spike asked, seeing her expression.



“Nothing,” she told him. She turned to Giles. “So, can we go back to California now?”



____________________________________________



You, guys, what do you want? Do you want more of the eliminator? I’m thinking of adding another big bad instead. I’m sort of sick of the cloaked electric guy. Or do you want no villain? That would make it shorter. What are your ideas?