Deep Inside



By Heather Martin



*You can lie to others. You can lie to yourself. But you can’t lie to your dreams .*



 


Spoilers- Grave



Disclaimer- Joss owns all the characters from Buffy TVS. The soul mate principle idea was taken from L.J. Smith’s book series called Night World.



Distribution- Sure, just ask



Summary- Anyone know what dissociative fugue amnesia is? Well, Spike develops such a case after his sudden shiny soul, along with the unexpected return of humanity. He just can’t cope, so he pretends to be somebody he‘s not. As for Buffy, she lies to herself that Spike’s absence hasn’t effected her. But at night, she cannot keep him out of her dreams. What will happen to these two lost souls? Will they ever find their way? And will it be together?



This occurs after Grave. The time between episodes are unclear. Pretend that everything after ‘As You Were ‘only spanned a couple weeks. If you think about it, that makes sense. Seeing Red, Villians, 2 to Go, and Grave all happened in a couple days.



Chapter 17



Buffy was in a meadow. Yellow dandelions dotted the green carpet spread out before her. She gazed up to see a clear, bright blue sky. She wished Spike was by her side. He’d love to see such a scene, now that he no longer needed a sunscreen level that no one made. She took a deep breath of the fresh air, feeling very content.



“Like it?” a voice asked. “I wanted somewhere cheerful.”


Buffy spun around quickly. There stood a girl, maybe 19. She had long golden hair that cascaded down to her waist. She wore a flowing white gown that looked like something out of a fantasy painting.



“I know,” the girl said, looking down at herself. “It is a bit much. But I always dreamed of being in a fairytale. So I couldn’t resist creating this attire.”



Buffy opened her mouth to speak, but then shut it again. She simply stared in confusion.



“Oh, uh, yeah, this is a dream by the way,” the woman told Buffy.



Coming out of her stupor, the slayer asked, “Who are you?”



“Call me Elena,” the girl answered.



“Okay, Elena. . . So, this is a dream?”



Elena grinned. “Yep! Pretty wiggy, huh?”



“Hey, that’s my word!” Buffy protested.



“Chill, and get over it.”



A sigh escaped Buffy. “So, is there a point to this dream or what?”



“Oh, yeah.” Seriousness came over Elena. “I came to warn you. She’s coming. You have to be ready for her.”



“Ready for who?”



“Medora. She’s powerful. You have to be ready.”



“Medora?”



“I don’t have time to explain anymore. Just be ready for an enemy, k?”



* + * + * + *


Buffy’s eyes shot open. She sat up off Spike, making him stir. He mumbled something unintelligent.



Buffy let her eyes focus, and tried to clear her head from slumber. She glanced around for the time. When she found it, she reached over to shake Spike.



“Wake up. We fell asleep on the couch and now it’s past seven. We’re late,” Buffy exclaimed.



He moaned, sitting up straight. “Huh, wha?”



“Past seven, as in late to meet up at the magic shop,” she informed.



That got his attention. “Oh, we better go then.”



They stood up together.



Buffy went over to the foot of the stairs. “Dawn!” she called. “Are you coming with us!?”



There was the sound of a door opening. A few seconds later, Dawn appeared. She stared at them for a moment, then stammered. “Uh. . . Y-yeah.”



“Hurry up and get your jacket. We’re late.”



The three walked in silence. The sky was overcast with no moon, making the night dark. Spike began to hum a little diddy, not being one for quiet. Dawn fell back behind the two.



“What’s that you’re humming?” Buffy inquired.



“Oh, nothin much. Just somethin my mum sang to me.”



“It’s pretty,” she commented. He’ll have to hum it to the baby, she thought to herself. I bet he’ll be a good father. She took her hand and interlocked their fingers.



Behind them Dawn watched, not sure what she thought of all this. She liked Spike, really she did, and she had rooted for Buffy and Spike to get together for a long time. But he had tried to rape her sister, and that confused her. She wanted to completely forgive him, yet that also didn’t seem right. And now he was human and, she still couldn’t comprehend it, had gotten her sister pregnant. Which, surprisingly Buffy was totally content with. Except for the telling her friends part.



Buffy looked back at Dawn. “Get your vocab done?”



“Oh. . . Yeah,” the teen lied. In reality she hadn’t even started the unit.



“Good.”



They made it to the Magic Box. Buffy took a deep breath before opening the door and going in. Spike and Dawn followed.



The rest of the scoobies, including Cleo, were sitting at the round table. They all raised their heads, eyes going on Buffy and Spike. Dawn shied away, to stand to the side. She hoped she could go through the meeting without much involvement.



“So, Buffy, please tell us your story,” Anya said, eagerly.



“Yes, Buffy, tell us why you went across the globe to bring back a vampire that tried to kill and rape you,” Xander said.



“Xander!” Willow scolded.



Buffy fought to hide the hurt that Xander was causing her. She composed herself, collecting her strength.



“I love him,” she announced. “I love Spike. I’ve been denying it ever since he confessed his feeling for me. I told him it was hopeless, that there was no chance. But I was lying to myself. We understand each other.” She smiled sadly.



“After Willow . . . brought me back, the only one I could turn to was Spike. He was the only one that knew what it was like. He knew death.” She paused. “I used him. I took what I needed to feel better. But I hurt him. I wasn’t interested in a relationship. A relationship is give and take, but all I did was take. I finally realized what I was doing and ended it. The thing is, I told him it was over so many times in the past when I didn‘t mean it. No meant yes. So, in the bathroom . . .”



She surveyed her friends. Xander was still angry. Willow was puzzled. Anya seemed enthusiastic for her to go on. Cleo was interested.



“Spike went to get a soul. Which he did, but got a little humanity along with it. I missed him when he was gone. When Cleo came with Willow we did a location spell, finding him in England. I went, found him, and came home. We‘ve worked our issues out and now we‘re together.”



“That’s it, huh? You love him, went to get him, and that’s it?” Xander spoke up.



Buffy met his gaze. “Yes. I love him. End of story. Better get used to it.”



“That’s not the end of the story,” Dawn said softly.



Buffy turned. “What did you say, Dawnie?”



Dawn stepped forward. She glared at Buffy. “Aren’t you going to tell them?” she demanded.



“Tell them what?”



“I know,” Dawn told her.



Buffy faltered. She couldn’t know? Could she? How?



“Come on, Buffy, aren’t you going to tell them?” Dawn urged on.



“I. . . I,” Buffy stammered.



Spike looked over with worry.



“I overheard you both in the living room. I know your pregnant, Buffy,” Dawn accused.


Buffy covered her mouth. “Oh, god!”



___________________________________________



So, I’m sorry for the delay. Really, I am.



If spoilers are right, we’re up for some really good episodes. I can’t wait!